Henna and naturals

NewYorkgyrl

I am not a full natural yet (going to BC in March). But I tried one application of henna about a month ago and ever since my hair has been more frizzy.

On the ouidad website they said it is like a texturizer. And when I went to whole foods I checked out some of the henna they sell there and on each bottle it explained that henna has texturizing effects. If this is true that will explain the sudden frizzy hair that I have been dealing with. Mind you I have not had any kind of frizzy hair like this all throughout my transition only after this henna treatment.

And I did a henna gloss. I used alot of conditioner and not just henna on myhead.

What have other natural ladies experienced with henna???? Because if this really is giving a bad frizzy texturized look than I will NEVER do it again. Oh yeah the henna/indigo I used was from hennaforhair.com (something like that)

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

Aubrey Organics even has a line of shampoo called henna enhancing shampoo (or some similar name)
Anyway part of the description describes henna as:

neutral henna extract, a natural texturizer

Last edited:

Cheleigh

I just henna'd my hair last week. I think it did straighten the curl a little bit. The pictures are in my photo album.

I think I have to treat henna a bit like I would a regular color, because I think I saw a tiny bit of breakage from it. Next time, I'll do a protein treatment along with it. I do like the color.

I can't tell what my hair's going to look with the henna in a shake and go, because it's in twists now.

angellazette

Interesting. Henna makes my hair coilier/bushier. Makes it harder to detangle immediately after but I do remember some talk about it loosening the curl. Hmmm, hell I don't know, I haven't done one in about 2 or 3 months.

Last edited:

naturaline

my hair was So muych easier to comb after Henna. i left it on for 3.30hrs then shampooed it out. then added Got2b smooth con for like 10mins and combs with a wide tooth comb. this was my fastest detangling sessions ever. i think it was the comi both henna with Got2b fast really worked well!

ohh yeah i also sure a loosening of curls too.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
An indian girl I work with said to mix it with yougurt for softness. Suprisingly she said honey might make it hard. She also recommended only rinsing it and shampooing the next day to make the color last longer. She mixes yogurt, alma and coffee with hers I think. It's been a while since I asked her about it.

NewYorkgyrl

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I am the only one that the kind of effect of "loose curl" that gave me more of frizzy look. I could just imagine what my hair would look like if I decided to use a texturizer I would be one of those rare cases that ends up with a frizzy head looking underprocessed.

I mean the henna gloss did not do that much of a change to be all drastic like that. LOL But it was enough to make me notice. I feel like if I continue this after I BC then I would HAVE to put product in my hair to help define my hair even more jsut to combat frizz.
I don't know if it is worth it. I might try it again to get some color. I jsut wanted the conditioning effects last time (left the henna conditioner mix on for an hour).

Anyone else had similar results???

PaperClip

In my neophyte experiences with henna (I'm working on photos!), I believe it loosened the curl a bit. I believe the yogurt contributed a great deal to the softness and ease of combing. Also, I didn't shampoo mine out like Enchantmt said the Indian girl said to do.

I hope that you discover a beneficial henna routine!:)

Cichelle

FNWL sells indigo or henna/indigo mixes now? I didn't know that. I have to go check that out. Last time I ordered from them, they did not sell indigo nor any henna mix, just plain henna.

I didn't get frizz from henna. I've been using it for a few months now. My basic mix is henna and hot water and SOMETIMES I add a bit of citric acid and/or conditioner. My hair has responded positively to henna treatments and I do them regularly. I am not sure whether it has loosened my texture or not. I have curly hair that does seem a bit looser now, but I think that really has to do with length more than anything else.

JustKiya

Henna definitely loosens my curls - I suppose, if I had a bigger curl pattern, it might go towards being frizzy - but for me, it just makes it ever so much easier to detangle, and shows more length... sometimes. *LOL*

CarefreeinChicago

I have been using Henna every week since november and i do not see any change in my hair it still breaking and shedding tangly mess

i also wanted to know does anyone think henna works best when you straighten your hair i have not flat ironed my hair since sept 30

i use cassia and alma mixed

Kurlee

I think I have experience what you are talking about which is why im laying off henna fro a while. My hair is 4a and sometimes its looks really nice when I rinse out henna and outher times it looks like an underprocessed relaxer and it takes weeks and weeks of conditioning to get it to resemble how my hair naturally is. I'm going to reduce my henna treatments to once every 6-8 weeks cuz Im getting scared that my hair will turn into that weird "puffy-straight" look.

JustKiya

kinchen said:
I have been using Henna every week since november and i do not see any change in my hair it still breaking and shedding tangly mess
i use cassia and alma mixed

Kinchen, are you using Cassia and Alma, or are you using Henna? I've found that cassia doesn't do a blamed thing for my hair - I've tried it once, and it - *shrugs* - my hair didn't look any different. Henna on the other hand, makes a big difference in my hair.
I also learned that I couldn't use henna every week - it made my hair TOO strong (like overusing protien) and increased my breakage. Using it about every 4 weeks is perfect for my hair....

CarefreeinChicago

nappywomyn said:
Kinchen, are you using Cassia and Alma, or are you using Henna? I've found that cassia doesn't do a blamed thing for my hair - I've tried it once, and it - *shrugs* - my hair didn't look any different. Henna on the other hand, makes a big difference in my hair.
I also learned that I couldn't use henna every week - it made my hair TOO strong (like overusing protien) and increased my breakage. Using it about every 4 weeks is perfect for my hair....

i am using all three about once a week maybe i will try using it once a month

angellazette

Are those that experience loosened curls use amla in their mix? Amla enhances the curl pattern. I use amla in mine and I think that is what contributes to my hair being extra coily immediately after.

NewYorkgyrl

Cichelle said:
FNWL sells indigo or henna/indigo mixes now? I didn't know that. I have to go check that out. Last time I ordered from them, they did not sell indigo nor any henna mix, just plain henna.
I bought the two of them seperate and made my own mix.

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

karamel11 said:
I think I have experience what you are talking about which is why im laying off henna fro a while. My hair is 4a and sometimes its looks really nice when I rinse out henna and outher times it looks like an underprocessed relaxer and it takes weeks and weeks of conditioning to get it to resemble how my hair naturally is. I'm going to reduce my henna treatments to once every 6-8 weeks cuz Im getting scared that my hair will turn into that weird "puffy-straight" look.

Thank you Thank you. Someone who really understands me. I knew it wasn't all in my head.

Everyting you just described is exactly ON POINT. I believe my hair is also 4a. I don't think I will be able to tolerate goign through weeks of treatment jsut to get my hair back every time I use henna. So I am really deciding against doing it again.

Darn...I really wanted the conditioning effects and a little color. I am not sure I am willing to take the chance of sometimes good sometimes looking like a puffy straight look.

I think that after I cut out the little relaxed ends that's left and see how my hair cooperates I may reconsider. I don't know. I am so lost at what to do.
Maybe doing it once every 2 months seems like a good idea....

That depends on how many weeks of treatment I will have to do to get it back "on point" if it is more than 2-3 weeks then I may give it a pass.

NewYorkgyrl

angellazette said:
Are those that experience loosened curls use amla in their mix? Amla enhances the curl pattern. I use amla in mine and I think that is what contributes to my hair being extra coily immediately after.

I used more amla than henna ....I forgot to say that in the first post.

So Amla didn't help me too much in that department. If it was supposed to help enhance curl then imagine if I didn't use it at all (OMG!)

EMJazzy

Happily retired
:eek: I was wondering what effects the naturals were having with the use of henna. I think I'll leave well-enough alone...:perplexed

naturaline

dont be scared because everyone hair is different... (So sorry to those whos hair didnt respond well!)

it made my hair really easy to comb out, next time ill be adding yougurt for extra softness.

JustKiya

Interesting - I've never used Alma in my henna mix - have ya'll tried using just PLAIN henna to see if you get the same results? There is another thread talking bout H Cubed - Henna, hot water, and honey - and I'm going to try that next time....sometimes simplest is best.

EMJazzy - dont' be scared off becase a few sista's didn't have the best results - I think that most people who use henna love it - I know I certainly do, and it does VERY good things for my 4a hair.

StrawberryQueen

angellazette said:
Interesting. Henna makes my hair coilier/bushier. Makes it harder to detangle immediately after but I do remember some talk about it loosening the curl. Hmmm, hell I don't know, I haven't done one in about 2 or 3 months.
Your hair is spectacular!

angellazette

nappywomyn said:
Interesting - I've never used Alma in my henna mix - have ya'll tried using just PLAIN henna to see if you get the same results? There is another thread talking bout H Cubed - Henna, hot water, and honey - and I'm going to try that next time....sometimes simplest is best.

EMJazzy - dont' be scared off becase a few sista's didn't have the best results - I think that most people who use henna love it - I know I certainly do, and it does VERY good things for my 4a hair.

I agree, simple is good! My mix is henna, water, and amla.

Thanks StrawberryQueen :)

CynamonKis

I am natural and NEVER experience dryness from my henna. I pre-poo & condition w/Elucence. Afterwards, I add 1 tbsp. avocado oil into my henna mixture (ACV, wine, and water OR grape juice) after the color release. I apply to my hair & sleep on it overnight, and then wake up & rinse in the shower. Then I always follow up with Tropical Avocado conditioner OR carrot oil hot oil treatment.

NewYorkgyrl said:
I am not a full natural yet (going to BC in March). But I tried one application of henna about a month ago and ever since my hair has been more frizzy.

On the ouidad website they said it is like a texturizer. And when I went to whole foods I checked out some of the henna they sell there and on each bottle it explained that henna has texturizing effects. If this is true that will explain the sudden frizzy hair that I have been dealing with. Mind you I have not had any kind of frizzy hair like this all throughout my transition only after this henna treatment.

And I did a henna gloss. I used alot of conditioner and not just henna on myhead.

What have other natural ladies experienced with henna???? Because if this really is giving a bad frizzy texturized look than I will NEVER do it again. Oh yeah the henna/indigo I used was from hennaforhair.com (something like that)

Last edited:

remnant

I mix cassia with amla + my conditionner mixture and I have found that it has truly loosened curls I'm a 4b with fine hair! I 'm planning to use it fewer(every 6/8weeks) too!

NewYorkgyrl

CynamonKis said:
I am natural and NEVER experience dryness from my henna. I pre-poo & condition w/Elucence. Afterwards, I add 1 tbsp. avocado oil into my henna mixture (ACV, wine, and water OR grape juice) after the color release. I apply to my hair & sleep on it overnight, and then wake up & rinse in the shower. Then I always follow up with Tropical Avocado conditioner OR carrot oil hot oil treatment.

I did not mention my hair being dry in my post. I spoke of it being frizzy.

But thanks for your imput on your views on what henna has done for your hair. And also for sharing how you use it.

alibi

hair bored
Dp y'all think henna will help to keep natural hair straight in a straight style? I plan on pressing my hair next week, and I'll use henna if it will help keep it straight...

scarcity21

soun said:
I mix cassia with amla + my conditionner mixture and I have found that it has truly loosened curls I'm a 4b with fine hair! I 'm planning to use it fewer(every 6/8weeks) too!

if i eva decide to use Henna im using ur combo...since we have the same hair type:)

Brownie

ayanapooh said:
Dp y'all think henna will help to keep natural hair straight in a straight style? I plan on pressing my hair next week, and I'll use henna if it will help keep it straight...

It might help with humidity since it binds to the hair, but your best bet, would probably be a good leave in that fights against humidity, but since it is somewhat cool in Florida right now (60's/70's), you might not have to worry about your hair not staying straight.