Damp hair for the summer

beans4reezy

Has anyone started yet?

It was hot in NYC last week, so I started then. I cowashed three times last week and this weekend after I washed, DC'd, and styled my hair I started to notice that my hair was retaining length AND getting thicker. I'm not saying starting the cowashing directly affected the thickness and growth- BUT my hair's condition after only a few days of cowashing last week makes this a def. keeper for the summer :grin:

Commmmme on warm weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lilsparkle825

My hair loves to be wet. I like the Butter Treat rec, but I usually leave in HE HH or LTR, Aussie Moist, or my GVP leave-in. Is this a challenge? If not, it should be.

@BlondeByDesire -- I've been doing that all this week. In the morning, I use a spray bottle to slick back my edges, rewet my bun, and go.

BlondeByDesire

My hair loves to be wet. I like the Butter Treat rec, but I usually leave in HE HH or LTR, Aussie Moist, or my GVP leave-in. Is this a challenge? If not, it should be.

@BlondeByDesire -- I've been doing that all this week. In the morning, I use a spray bottle to slick back my edges, rewet my bun, and go.

The Butter Treat is this something you use as a co-wash and rinse out?

bklyncurly

Waiting on warmer weather before I start ... does anyone co-wash at night and bun? I just don't have time in the morning?

I do. If I know I'm not going to have time in the morning, I wash my hair at night and let it air dry for a few hours. When I go to bed, my hair is still VERY wet, but not dripping wet. I pull it back and put on a skull cap and then a rag on top. I can't sleep with wet hair exposed, it keeps me to cold at night.

In the AM, my hair is still very wet but it usually dries by that evening.

*C00KIE*

I have been co washing a lot lately. Actually everyday for the past week I use Aussie Moist (when my hair is xtra dry) and on the other days I use a condish that contains protein. I use Organix Coconut Milk (i like the fact that this conditioner has coconut milk protein and egg protein in it). I also use ORS mayo (i like the fact that it has egg in this as well)... I mostly use protein when I co wash (i have thin hair and trying to thicken it up). Almost forgot I also use Joico when I have a bottle available for co washing

lilsparkle825

I have been co washing a lot lately. Actually everyday for the past week I use Aussie Moist (when my hair is xtra dry) and on the other days I use a condish that contains protein. I use Organix Coconut Milk (i like the fact that this conditioner has coconut milk protein and egg protein in it). I also use ORS mayo (i like the fact that it has egg in this as well)... I mostly use protein when I co wash (i have thin hair and trying to thicken it up). Almost forgot I also use Joico when I have a bottle available for co washing
and it smells :lick::lick::lick:!!! i will never go back to suave tropical coconut, that fake coconut smell sickens me now. have you tried the vanilla silk? i want to try them all. the shampoos suck though.

soulie

Waiting on warmer weather before I start ... does anyone co-wash at night and bun? I just don't have time in the morning?

I do this sometimes; I'll cowash around 6 or 7 in the evening and bun overnight, or let it air dry for a bit and then bun overnight. I usually do the latter if I'm going to apply MT to my scalp.

*C00KIE*

and it smells :lick::lick::lick:!!! i will never go back to suave tropical coconut, that fake coconut smell sickens me now. have you tried the vanilla silk? i want to try them all. the shampoos suck though.

Yes, I do agree it does smell goooooooooood, very creamy and rich. I havent tried the vanilla silk (what are the ingrediants for it). I havent tried the shampoo but I will take your word for it...

Lindy

I am definitely going to do lots of CO washes once the weather gets warmer. That was my routine a couple of summers ago and my hair was never healthier. I lost a lot of inches over the past 2 years (from slacking off on deep conditioning) and I REALLY REALLY want them back! I'm hoping that this method will help to make that happen.

I'll be getting a touch up in a couple of weeks so I can start fresh with a good trim to get rid of these scraggly ends. Then I'm going to challenge myself to gain a couple of those inches back by my b-day in November. :yep:

lilsparkle825

Yes, I do agree it does smell goooooooooood, very creamy and rich. I havent tried the vanilla silk (what are the ingrediants for it). I havent tried the shampoo but I will take your word for it...
vanilla bean oils...silk amino proteins...jojoba...shea butter....vitamin E

-hugs bottle-

ladytee2

I have been thinking about cowashing. I havent tried it yet but I plan too.

Does anyone add stuff to their cowash conditioners? I have at least on conditioner that was ok but nothing to rave about. I was wondering what I could add to it. Im thinking maybe honey, avj, oils and/ or glycerine to make it a little more moisturizing.

Last edited:

chebaby

i will be doing the same thing because i have a twa and thats all i can do lol. i use hello hydration, totally twisted and vo5 moisture milks.

isawstars

I wish I saw this thread sooner. lately i've been rinsing my hair with cold water 4-5 days a week... and like you, i shampoo at the end of the week. I have noticed an increase in growth as well. Granted, I rarely do co washes when I wet my hair. I think the stimulation of the scalp from the water helps initiate more growth, in addition to what you've said. I didn't read the entire thread so I'm sorry if someone has already said it.

But yeah... I am definitely going to continue doing the same in the summer! I think our hair likes water!

Hot40

Ok just make sure I am clear.
I want to keep it wet for 5 days at a time
So I should co wash every day and bun???

At night should I use a plastic bag??? will my Hair smell like mildew?
When I co was should I leave a deep condtioner in my hair and go to work?

I will start next week.

chebaby

Ok just make sure I am clear.
I want to keep it wet for 5 days at a time
So I should co wash every day and bun???

At night should I use a plastic bag??? will my Hair smell like mildew?
When I co was should I leave a deep condtioner in my hair and go to work?

I will start next week.
i co wash everyday and leave some of the conditioner in as leave in. then on soaking wet hair i apply kbb hair milk and the pat my hair with a t-shirt so i dont walk out the house with dripping wet hair. by the end of the day my hair is no longer wet. when i get home i milk my hair to make it damp with a liquid leave in, add some more kbb hair milk and seal it in with nourish and shine. i put on my bonnett and call it a night. in the morning i start all over again. i only sleep with a plastic cap on my head when i deep condition overnight. i do that 2-3 times a week.

syncerelyhis

I use v05 to cowash, rinse, and then add more as a leave in/moisturizer and seal with coconut oil. Then I either wash n go (if its morning) or bun (if its night). I have been doing this everyday since it got warm. My hair is in love!

Hot40

I use v05 to cowash, rinse, and then add more as a leave in/moisturizer and seal with coconut oil. Then I either wash n go (if its morning) or bun (if its night). I have been doing this everyday since it got warm. My hair is in love!

Sound good Thanks.

I was worried about wet hair when sleeping.

morehairplease

The cowashing helped retain length because I saw less shedding. I think the damp hair along with the humidity kept my hair moisturized.

co-signing. This is what I noticed when I daily cw while taking swimming last the summer before last. I am on the last of my Lanza conditioners and for my fine hair they are pretty light the only problem I have with them is that they are expensive. I have a ton of VO5 conditioners in a hall closet and will use them for my cw's this summer. Have you tried the moisture milks line? The one I like is the free me freesia.

Last edited:

Hot40

co-signing. This is what I noticed when I daily cw while taking swimming last the summer before last. I am on the last of my Lanza conditioners and for my fine hair they are pretty light the only problem I have with them is that they are expensive. I have a ton of VO5 conditioners in a hall closet and will use them for my cw's this summer. Have you tried the moisture milks line? The one I like is the free me freesia.

Who sells moisture milk?

pinkchocolatedaisy

^^ Hot40: It's a line of V05 conditioners. They have diffefrent fragrances. They are great.:yep:

ETA: I find them at Walmart (now) but they are always at CVS and sometimes Longs and even grocery stores (sometimes they are really cheap there like $.79)

Last edited:

DMJ's Mom

My hair loves HE Hello Hydration. I've cowashed with it pretty much since i discovered it over a year ago

beans4reezy

WEN is not cheap, so I feel bad using it to cowash during the week. I went and picked up Garnier Fructis Moisture Plus conditioner...OMG!:lick: My hair is so soft and my hair smells out of the world. I can't believe a $5 conditoner can deliver such solid results!!!

morehairplease

Who sells moisture milk?

Hi there,

I purchased the V05 moisture milks conditioners from Walmart and Schunk's(they had them on sale once for 4/$1....I went crazy buying them). Target and Kroger also sell V05 moisture milk conditioners.

hths,
tishee

Aggie

Good idea wearing damp hair for the summer but when I went up to Nebraska for the winter, my hair was so dry from the furnace heat in the house that I saw cowashing absolutely necessary then. I needed to prevent my hair from becoming brittle from the heat inside the house. I live in the Bahamas where the humidity is pretty high and daily cowashing is not necessary so I do a lot less in the summer here.