Has anyone heard of Curlaway Curl relaxer by Xenna?

bbdgirl

I was doing a little research on the net this afternoon and came across this product on Amazon called "Curlaway Curl Relaxer" creme by Xenna Corp.
PRINCETON, NJ, - February 24, 2004 -- Xenna Corporation recently launched an innovative hair gel that dramatically increases styling flexibility as it gradually releases curl. Ordinary relaxers break sulfur bonds in hair, then reset them with neutralizer. Curlaway Relaxer simply breaks hydrogen bonds within keratin protein and rotates the disulfide bond in the hair matrix, rather than breaking it, so that hair strand structure and strength are maintained. In short, hair releases curl gently, without breakage.

"Curlaway is more than wonderful for my Afro-American hair. My hair is so silky, that it's hard to believe that it is really mine," says Rita Zorn of Rita Zorn & Associates, Grand Prairie, Texas. Her opinion is echoed by the Princeton, New Jersey stylist who tested Curlaway on all types of hair. "Curlaway Gel lets me style hair in so many ways," says Marilyn Lockhart, owner of Princeton Beauty Emporium. The results I've seen with Curlaway on Caucasian and African American hair are definitely unique. I'm impressed."

Safe for previously-straightened, permed or color-treated hair, Curlaway is extremely versatile and allows the amount of curl removed to be left up to the user - hair becomes straighter with each consecutive treatment. Curlaway is not a leave-in gel nor an alkaline (high pH) straightener. Instead, it is applied to hair for 4 to 9 hours (usually overnight under a plastic cap), then washed out.

The above was an excerpt of an internet article.

I wanted to know if any of you ladies knew of this product, have tried it or have an opinion?

I am always looking for something gentle for my hair to make it more manageable but I don't want another "Rio" on my hands!!!:perplexed

aloof one

A lot of ladies on this site mentioned that it was bogus and didn't work, but I can't recall if any of them even used it because nobody said what the results were, just that it sucked. I would rather try it myself when I get some extra change lying around, because a lot of times when people diss things they either never used it, used it wrong, or heard it was bad for you.

I will say this, I would try this before I ever went back to relaxers again, because it looks a lot safer. The ingredients make it seem like it couldnt possibly damage your hair.

I am thinking it would give you a little better results than the coconut and lime relaxer, because it has higher concentrations of acetic acid (or whatever it is) in it than a lime would. I think it says over time your hair would revert after a few weeks, which makes it a lot less permanent than a relaxer.

Ivonnovi

I tried it a while back. And quite frankly liked the product and the results. The results I was pleased with was that my hair did not require as much heat to when flat-ironing. It did "soften" my newgrowths curl pattern, but I never used it (consistently)enough to say whether or not it could effectively straighten my hair.

I didn't keep it up because I could not figure out how to fit it into my busy lifesyle. (hours in hair/scent on hair).

.....I may try it again into the new year.

I hope this helps.

yodie

thanks for the updates ladies.

For the ladies that used it, did it cause any type of dryness? anything similar to a chemical ?

even a little help will probably make my rollersets as a natural turn out a lot better.

I'm now transitioning to Natural. My hair hates being relaxed, texlaxed and eventually it just breaks.

fluffylocks

I woudnt mess with it if your hair doesnt like to be altered by chemicals.----do you know why your hair always broke when use used chemicals on your hair? Was it because of upkeep where you needed to moisturize, conditon, and do protein treatments more, or was it the acutal chemicals?

There were a couple of other threads where people said that it made their hair dry.

So did they say whether or not the product breaks the hydrogen bonds in your hair forever, if it weakens them forever or temporarily, or what?

We know the hydrogen bonds are what allows our hair to have elasticity and elongate when its wet....I know you can do protein treatments to get stronger hair from regular relaxers and offset that damage then all you really have to worry about is moisture, but what can you do about broken hydrogen bonds in your hair?
Broken hydrogen bonds will leave you with brittle hair that cant stretch, and i believe if there is something wrong with your hydrogen bonds in your hair, it can absorb less moisture, which will make it dry.
Which is what people are saying has happened to their hair :ohwell: *shrug*

I guess it is safer and way more natural than a relaxer though.

I bet it really does controll frizzy hair and reversion in humid weather.

yodie

my hair has always been damaged with a relaxer. even texlaxed, my edges are GONE and my nape just goes. even as a child, i never had length with relaxers.

i would only try this on a section of my hair, but for now, i'm content with going natural. i guess i just have to get used to it if i want some length to my hair.

I woudnt mess with it if your hair doesnt like to be altered by chemicals.----do you know why your hair always broke when use used chemicals on your hair? Was it because of upkeep where you needed to moisturize, conditon, and do protein treatments more, or was it the acutal chemicals?

There were a couple of other threads where people said that it made their hair dry.

So did they say whether or not the product breaks the hydrogen bonds in your hair forever, if it weakens them forever or temporarily, or what?

We know the hydrogen bonds are what allows our hair to have elasticity and elongate when its wet....I know you can do protein treatments to get stronger hair from regular relaxers and offset that damage then all you really have to worry about is moisture, but what can you do about broken hydrogen bonds in your hair?
Broken hydrogen bonds will leave you with brittle hair that cant stretch, and i believe if there is something wrong with your hydrogen bonds in your hair, it can absorb less moisture, which will make it dry.

I bet it really does controll frizzy hair and reversion in humid weather.

aloof one

I dont think its too harsh. I did some research today:

We have folks doing ACV rinses everytime they wash (many don't dilute) and vinegar is pretty much just acetic acid. I completely doubt Acetic acid is anywhere near as harmful as Sodium Hydroxide.

BTW Acetic Acid is also found in most Clarifying shampoos.

Yes it can dry your hair, but if you use a very good moisturizing shampoo immediately after using it (DC), you should be fine. It sounds just like using limes and coconut to straighten your hair, but probably more effective. Now as far as breaking down bonds, the site says that is only temporary, like it loosens your texture semi-permanently.

Anyway, I am going to try it before I say it works, but I really dont see anything to be afraid of.

fluffylocks

I dont think its too harsh. I did some research today:

We have folks doing ACV rinses everytime they wash (many don't dilute) and vinegar is pretty much just acetic acid. I completely doubt Acetic acid is anywhere near as harmful as Sodium Hydroxide.

BTW Acetic Acid is also found in most Clarifying shampoos.

Yes it can dry your hair, but if you use a very good moisturizing shampoo immediately after using it (DC), you should be fine. It sounds just like using limes and coconut to straighten your hair, but probably more effective. Now as far as breaking down bonds, the site says that is only temporary, like it loosens your texture semi-permanently.

Anyway, I am going to try it before I say it works, but I really dont see anything to be afraid of.

Nobody leaves ACV on their hair for 4-8 hours though
I doubt its as dangerous as a relaxer or anything to be afraid of either.

bbdgirl

Thanks ladies, you have given me much to think about, (esp Fluffylocks),
I guess that I have still more research to do before I decide anything. But I need to make a decision before February b/c y then I will have 5 months NG and will probably be out of my mind by then.

You see a few years ago I went natural, then texlaxed, for more manageability and then went bone straight. Of course the moment that I washed out the one straight relaxer from my hair I regretted it. I missed my texture. Part of the prob is that I am too fickle for my own good. I just find to difficult to commit to anything. Maybe texlaxing is the way to go. What to do, what to do?:wallbash:

Last edited:

aloof one

Nobody leaves ACV on their hair for 4-8 hours though
I doubt its as dangerous as a relaxer or anything to be afraid of either.

ooh yea some naturals do! they say it makes their curls more defined so they just leave it in. It did for me but I didn't like how it smelled. But if I did again, I would definitely use a moisturizing leave-in with it to be on the safe side.

bbdgirl, how long were u natural before?

bbdgirl

But if I did again, I would definitely use a moisturizing leave-in with it to be on the safe side.

bbdgirl, how long were u natural before?

I was natural for about 2 years. My hair has a dual texture. Wavy curls at the perimeter and curlier and frizzier at the crown. And my hair relaxes really quickly, less than 10 min with mild. So I am gonna stretch a long time so that I can see my texture again and determine what I should do with it.
Maybe if I take etter care of it this time with the knowledge that I have gained from this board I may not have to relax it at all.

Wish me luck

crumbling_images

:nono: I bought this product last year. It had a strong vinegar smell and you had to use alot (the site says 20 jars!!) and leave it on your hair for a very long time (overnight) to see any significant results on type 4ab hair. I used my one jar up and never looked back. I have not repurchased.

eshille

Hi everyone...
I signed up some time ago but have been lurking a while. I really appreciate all of the wonderful advice
shared..ya'll have really helped me a lot.

I've been using Curlaway a little over a year now. I really like the product a lot and I like the results on my hair.
The most important aspect of the product for me has been the fact that it does not contain strong chemicals.
I am able to achieve a really fantastic look, lots of body, lots of wave pattern...but there are drawbacks as
with anything...

1. The product does require a big beef up with the moisture routine (in fact that's the problem which brought me here..:grin:)

2. To really achieve the looks on their advertisements..i.e wavy hair etc. you will need to be prepared to invest
in the product over the long haul and to follow their directions to the T. The process is VERY gradual, not harsh
and it does take time to achieve really straight hair.

3. The product does have a strong vinegar smell which I do not find offensive but it is intense.

4. The product does allow you to use it consistently without breakage but over time the application length
(overnight or 3-6 hours) can get a little tiresome.

5. My hair turns out really well when I apply heat but my hair reverts (I do not use any anti-humecants)
quickly so I don't use heat with it and only air dry my hair.

5. I have not worked out how I can achieve a wng without the frizz yet because I haven't found a
natural product to address that issue.

6. If you simply want to loosen the curl, I'm sure it's achievable but that was not my goal...the product will not immediately straighten your hair but it will loosen the curl pattern gradually.

7. I guess the one added benefit of the product is when you stop using it your hair will return to it's normal texture
...i.e. natural and that's what motivated me to continue to invest in it. Notice I used the words 'invest in it'
twice because it ain't cheap.

I originally applied the product over one of the box relaxers so I figure whenever I stop using Curlaway I should
(within that 6-8wk time period) see my natural hair.

My hair has grown a lot during the time I've used it. I had a broken spot in the center back of my hair...had it
forever while using those box relaxers but one day I noticed since using Curlaway that area had grown out
completely and I wasn't paying any particular attention to my hair as I am now.

Well that was a ramble...:yep:

HTH

bbdgirl

No no no that is exactly what I was loking for. Thank you!! Totally cool. I really wanted to know if you thought that I was damaging to your hair, or if it could ibe in the long run. I understand what you're saying about the mositure issue. Did your hair start to feel weakened at all?
I am not looking to make my hair straight but just relax the curl so that it is more manageable.
I understand that it is a bit costly but I am really concerned with chemical damage to my hair. I think I have abused it long enuff.

MissMeWithThatIsh

I used it faithfully for about 2 months... and dropped it.
I wasn't seeing results and my hair was dry.

Perhaps I'll try it again... later on...when I have money like that

trini_rican

I'm glad you asked about this product because I wanted to know to. They sell it in Walgreens/ CVS here in S. FL I've seen it and meant to ask but always forgot.

Ivonnovi

After my origina post I purchased the product again.

I've slathered it on Dry and Wet hair, I'm currently in the middle of the 3rd application.

I use it with a heat cap, to accelerate the results.

I am very well pleased with the product because:

1. My hair responds very well and requires MUCH LESS HEAT when I flatiorn on the weekends (I bun during the week)

2. Even my FRIED ENDS, behave when flat Ironed, and are less frizzy, (they also REQUIRE LESS HEAT). This has allowed me to STRETCH not only the PERMS, BUT TRIMS also. My stylist wanted to cut 2-3 inches off my hair in the back, and right now I can't stand the idea.

3. It can be used as a styling gel. (but requires some finesse)

4. I use it when baggying my whole head too. (Thanks LCHF for the baggying tips)

MissMeWithThatIsh

I'm so pleased that you have good results.

So have you always used a heating cap?

And if so, how long do you let it process?

I am reconsidering using the product...

I just need a better budget/plan of action.

Ivonnovi

I'm so pleased that you have good results.

So have you always used a heating cap?

And if so, how long do you let it process?

I am reconsidering using the product...

I just need a better budget/plan of action.

Yes, I've always used a heatcap (past few years); BUT not with Curlaway.

I just thought I'd try it to acceleate the process, and shorten the amount of time it stayed on my hair. (Like when deep conditioning).

How long under the heat cap.....I fell asleep once and totaled 3 hours with it on. Since then I use it sporatically during the 3-9hours curlaway is in, by sporatically I mean that I'll wear the heat cap off'n on during the process but for no longer than an hour.

Again, I feel that curlaway has salvaged the 2+ inches of hair that my stylist wanted to cut off. And it relaxes my newgrowth enough to let me stretch without worry.
IHTH

MissMeWithThatIsh

Yes it does.
I texlaxed... and you wouldn't even know it looking at my hair.... but the front of my hair is almost straight and that's why I HATE texlaxing or texturizing....

By itself my hair gets a great curl pattern but it's so hard to work with when it dries....

I guess I'll start reusing the Curlaway to see what happens...

DozenRoses99

I just saw this product at Walgreens today. I had never heard of it before, and I was wondering if it really worked. Based on the threads that I've seen in my search, it looks like there are mixed results.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this product?

eshille

I just saw this product at Walgreens today. I had never heard of it before, and I was wondering if it really worked. Based on the threads that I've seen in my search, it looks like there are mixed results.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this product?

Don't know why but I decided to pop back into this old thread :grin:.

Yes, Xenna is now in Walgreens across the country which is a great savings on the shipping costs I've payed over these years.

I think the mixed results probably have more to do with expectations than anything else.

Curlaway is NOT a typical box relaxer and the decision to use it should be made with that caveat in mind. In other words, it will take time
and repeated applications to approach the results one achieves from regular chemical relaxers.

It is an investment and I really think one should approach it from that standpoint. I opted for the product years ago because it was less harsh than
anything I could find on the market and it did/does work BUT one MUST be prepared to increase the amount of moisture to the hair, at least
that has been my experience.

yorlooksmybiz...thanks so much for the heat cap tip, I never thought about using heat to speed up the process. I'm planning an application
this week and will try your suggestion, here I was wondering why I clicked on this old thread...I was lead here to get your tip :yep:...THANKS.

Ivonnovi

Eshille, you are quite welcome. I hope you are satisfied with the results. Also the heatcap is very relaxing.

yorlooksmybiz...thanks so much for the heat cap tip, I never thought about using heat to speed up the process. I'm planning an application
this week and will try your suggestion, here I was wondering why I clicked on this old thread...I was lead here to get your tip :yep:...THANKS.

Serenity K

This sounds like something I need. I have been debating texlaxing, and decided not to. But this sounds like what I need EXACTLY! I have one question just so I know, after using this, would I be natural, or texlaxed?

eshille

This sounds like something I need. I have been debating texlaxing, and decided not to. But this sounds like what I need EXACTLY! I have one question just so I know, after using this, would I be natural, or texlaxed?

Serenity...I have been using the product for three years and I can't answer your question....I guess you would be closer to naturalaxed..:grin:

I love the product, it has helped me grow to one length a broken place in the back of my hair which happened using those box thingy's..I've had no breakage, splits etc...BUT...the need to increase one's focus on moisture has been my experience.

yorlooksmybiz and yodie can offer you a different window into the product. I did not/do not follow the manufacturers directions to achieve optimal results and that's really important...but I love my hair and how Curlaway works with it.

I am in the process of letting the product 'wear off', essentially testing their assertion that the product is a semi-permanent process, w/no product on the hair after 3-6 weeks of non use. I figure after 3 years of no box relaxers and only Curlaway I should 'wear off' my natural texture...we shall see.

The product has allowed me to either have a natural look or a straight look. When I first roller set my hair it looks like it is relaxed...as the week progresses it begins to look like a stylized fro, w/ringlets at the ends of my strands. I air dry and use no heat...yorlooksmybiz and yodie use it w/heat.

I don't have a camera for you to take look/see so your next best bet would be their website. There's a photo series w/a young lady which takes you through different steps from start/curly/flat iron..

Read the website, particularly the FAQ section really well...it answers a lot of questions.

www.curlaway.com

HTH