1 Year UBH Challenge Complete!

sareca

I just noticed my ticker says 0 days! I can't believe I made it a year. I didn't do it exactly, but think it helped anyway. Not as much as Crown & Glory but it was a good starting point. Anybody else do UBH? What'd ya'll think? Saving grace or starting point.

Mizani_Mrs

I've been doing UBH. I am unsure of the exact details of the challenge but i have been following her common sense advice since Jan 05. I faithfully use her 2 daily moisturizers. I rarely dust. But i wear my hair down about 4-5 times out of the week. i think she does also. I think that is the reason my hair has greatly improved in my comparison pics.

Blackbird77

sareca said:
I just noticed my ticker says 0 days! I can't believe I made it a year. I didn't do it exactly, but think it helped anyway. Not as much as Crown & Glory but it was a good starting point. Anybody else do UBH? What'd ya'll think? Saving grace or starting point.

I've been doing UBH and my one year anniversary will be August 23. I haven't been using it the same way since December but I have mainly been using the moisturizer lotion. I haven't used the Dew since December. At times I ran out and didn't feel like waiting for a new order to arrive so I picked up a bottle of BB Oil Moisturizer and used it until they decided to add mineral oil to it. Then I ordered a 32 oz. bottle of UBH oil moisturizer and made my own water/oil spray. I have the UBH deep conditioner but I've been too lazy to use it consistently.

sareca

What all did your challenge entail??

I'm not sure what I did with the book, but these are the things I did:
  • No brushing (actually I barely comb it now)
  • Protein deep conditioning (i hadn't even heard of protein conditioners)
  • No trimming (i tried, but that tangled stuff had to go)
  • Wash at least once a week (i rinse every three days)
  • Moisturize daily with a water-based moisturizer (water? black people? hair?):lachen:

sareca

Mizani_Mrs said:
I've been doing UBH. I am unsure of the exact details of the challenge but i have been following her common sense advice since Jan 05. I faithfully use her 2 daily moisturizers. I rarely dust. But i wear my hair down about 4-5 times out of the week. i think she does also. I think that is the reason my hair has greatly improved in my comparison pics.
I forgot about the no protective aspects. My hair is still SL. I think she said you can wear it down after you past SL. I'm going to give that a shot this fall when I, hopefully, get to APL.

sareca

NessaNessa said:
I noticed you're siggy today and was wondering what the 0 represented.

:lachen:Yeah, it's The End. But that doesn't mean much because I plan to continue her techniques. :ohwell:

kbody4

Congrats Sareca on your UBH challenge :) My UBH challenge will end in December 14th, so I have some ways to go. I love her creme moisturizer because it keeps my new growth really soft. I don't care for the dew so I'm trying to use it up. I had to trim off 2 inches so my focus is on keeping my ends intact. Definitely a good starting point for growing your hair out.

Denim And Leather

I started her UBH challenge on April 8th, and part of the challenge is to gain six inches in a year. I didn't know her challenge allowed for wearing your hair down, I don't do that part, I always wear protective styles (once in a while I'll wear my hair down.)

As for the "no trimming", I do not plan on doing that until my hair grows about another 3-4 inches, so that may/may not be within that one year time frame.

Sareca and Mizani Mrs., did you guys gain 6 inches within that year?

BTW, Mizani Mrs., your hair did make great progress! :D

Sareca, your hair is gorgeous! :D

sareca

Denim And Leather said:
I started her UBH challenge on April 8th, and part of the challenge is to gain six inches in a year. I didn't know her challenge allowed for wearing your hair down, I don't do that part, I always wear protective styles (once in a while I'll wear my hair down.)

As for the "no trimming", I do not plan on doing that until my hair grows about another 3-4 inches, so that may/may not be within that one year time frame.

Sareca and Mizani Mrs., did you guys gain 6 inches within that year?

BTW, Mizani Mrs., your hair did make great progress! :D

Sareca, your hair is gorgeous! :D
Thanks girl :blush: I didn't get 6 inches. I trimmed twice. The first time was about .5 in and the second was 1.5 in. So I got 4 inches. This is my favorite comparison pic, but it's not a true comparison. Sept 05 (not 06 like it says) my hair had already grown an inch. So my hair was actually one inch shorter than shown when I started the challenge.

Denim And Leather

sareca said:
Thanks girl :blush: I didn't get 6 inches. I trimmed twice. The first time was about .5 in and the second was 1.5 in. So I got 4 inches. This is my favorite comparison pic, but it's not a true comparison. Sept 05 (not 06 like it says) my hair had already grown an inch. So my hair was actually one inch shorter than shown when I started the challenge.

You're welcome! :) I've always thought your hair was pretty, I love the curls as well!

You did gain 6 inches then, you just trimmed off two of them. :yep:

How do you keep your new growth so soft?

tenderheaded

Congrats on completing 1 yr! UBH was the first site I came across but she was a little too militant for me, but I did use some of her ideas, i.e. Aphogee, Bigen, frequent washing, etc.

Your hair looks wonderful.

Keep it growing:lachen: :lachen:

Denim And Leather

UBH was the first site I came too, and Cathy Howse does have some great ideas, and she got me started on the right track, but this board is what has given me even better info on caring for my hair. :yep:

sareca

Denim And Leather said:
You're welcome! :) I've always thought your hair was pretty, I love the curls as well!

You did gain 6 inches then, you just trimmed off two of them. :yep:

How do you keep your new growth so soft?
Thanks! :)
You're right. I absolutely did get 6 inches, maybe a little. Just didn't get to keep them all. :(
I credit BioSil, MSM, Aveda DR, and Keracare for my hair's softeness and henna for it's strength and shine. :yep: I use other products too, but these are ones I always come back to, in one way or another.

sareca

tenderheaded said:
Congrats on completing 1 yr! UBH was the first site I came across but she was a little too militant for me, but I did use some of her ideas, i.e. Aphogee, Bigen, frequent washing, etc.

Your hair looks wonderful.

Keep it growing:lachen: :lachen:

Thanks! I'll do my best:armyhat: :D

Last edited:

Denim And Leather

sareca said:
Thanks! :)
You're right. I absolutely did get 6 inches, maybe a little. Just didn't get to keep them all. :(
I credit BioSil, MSM, Aveda DR, and Keracare for my hair's softeness and henna for it's strength and shine. :yep: I use other products too, but these are ones I always come back to, in one way or another.

Well, at least you got the inches, and the trimming was good for the sake of your hair, and now you don't have to worry about trimming them. And you've got some great products on hand, that is a plus. It sounds like you have a pretty simple routine (that's always good!) :)

sareca

Denim And Leather said:
UBH was the first site I came too, and Cathy Howse does have some great ideas, and she got me started on the right track, but this board is what has given me even better info on caring for my hair. :yep:
That's how I feel! This board lead me to C&G and helped me care for my hair between braids. Although I feel good about reaching my first hair milestone I'm really looking forward to my 1 year LHCF anniversary.

Denim And Leather

sareca said:
That's how I feel! This board lead me to C&G and helped me care for my hair between braids. Although I feel good about reaching my first hair milestone I'm really looking forward to my 1 year LHCF anniversary.

Same here, chicka! :yep:

Tee

I was doing a search today to find out if anyone had great success with the UBH products. I might give it a try. (trying not to buy any new products but I might end up getting this.)

Cayenne0622

I started the challenge about 5 weeks ago. I learned alot from her website and book but I've gotten sooooooooooo much more additional information from this site. Cathy's program has helped me to break my trimming addiction and to cut out the hair spray. I didn't realize how much damage I was doing even though I could see that my hair had severely broken all around the front. I wash every 3 days (but will now change 1 of those to a cowash). I deep condition every time I wash my hair and I've been wearing heat free hairstyles compliments of LHCF. I plan to set up pics in a couple of months because it does no good for me to just have my current pictures up. I need a least one results pic to show everything is going. :) I'll keep ya posted.

Letitia said:
I was doing a search today to find out if anyone had great success with the UBH products. I might give it a try. (trying not to buy any new products but I might end up getting this.)