1 year + progress pics

Browntem

Your hair looks beautiful. I am new to this site and I was wondering what tips you can give me about growing out your hair. The main problem I am having with my hair is that it sheds alot and I also have many split ends.

I would also like to know how to post my concerns about hair without having to click reply on somelse's post.

Ladies please give me some advice and take a look at my fotki
http://public.fotki.com/Browntem
thank You

Wow, thanks for all the nice comments and compliments! For those who asked about my regimen I don't really have much of one cause I'm a lazy person but I'll tell you what I've done and what I've stopped doing.

1) for the 1st month or 2 I used MTG and it seemed to work but I gave it up because it was messing up my neck.

2) I did co washes about 2 times a week for a long time and shampooed only occasionally
***These 1st 2 things really helped with the health of my hair I think, I had a really bad dry scalp problem that virtually disappeared immediately after I started co-washing and MTGing and it hasn't come back.

3) I cut down on the heat
a) I only airdried - when I co washed, I'd detangle my hair the same time I rinsed, then when I got out the shower, put in 1) leave in conditioner (Just for Me), 2) serum (Super Skinny or John Frieda), and 3) whatever wrapping lotion I had around then comb into a ponytail and let dry. I also did rollersets using the ponytail method every now and then and let that airdry
b) I stopped using my blow drier with the comb attachment (I've recently started using it again but only sparingly)
c) I tried to limit curlingirons and etc. to once a month - but when I was like 2 months or more post relaxer, I'd start breaking out the maxiglide. I also tried braid outs and stuff as an alternative but eventually I just kept my hair wrapped up in a scarf until my next relaxer

3) I was more careful about combing my hair - I also shed alot so I tried to comb less often and to be as gentle as possible when I did comb. Up until a month after a relaxer I probably combed once a day/every other day. After that I'd keep my scarf on and comb only in the shower unless I maxiglided.

4) vitamins - I took msm, biotin, and flaxseed oil off and on - I like msm and flaxseed espescially cause it does wonders for my skin so I don't doubt that it does good things for my hair also.

5) Products - Browntem, I've recently noticed that deep conditioning with a light protein conditioner like ORS replenishing pack, or Nexxus Keraphix helps to curb the shedding. I haven't tried any of the heavy duty protein conditioners though.

I also use the Super Skinny line (shampoo and conditioner) when I have a lot of new growth. It would be extremely difficult and would result in a lot of hair breakage if I tried to comb through my hair without using this first.

After MTG I don't put anything on my scalp anymore, I have a feeling that all the dryscalp and oils on my scalp clogged my pores (are there pores on the scalp?) and stunted my hair growth. I think that's why I saw a change with frequent co-washing.

I almost forgot
6) I started doing my own relaxers using LondonDiva's self relaxing method every 3 months - for the first time in my life my front and back edges are more than an inch long because I do my relaxers myself and can control the processing time on these areas. And I grew up thinking that they just weren't supposed to grow :perplexed.

And I don't do protective styling (buns), I tried it and didn't like it. After a relaxer, I mostly wear my hair down, then later on in a ponytail, a butterfly clip, or in a scarf. I think protective styling should work, it just seems like for me it would require more manipulation than my other styles or just tying it up so I don't do it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: