Why does your hair look so nappy? Cuz I'm black, *****!

Amerie2304

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/48506/y...n____for_saying_that_rihs_hair_was_nappy.html

When I first read the story, I was like go, Rih!! Then I go to the girl's twitter page and I can't believe how many black people are co-signing her, like really?

I started to not even post this to not give this girl more shine, but really, I just can't believe this! :nono:

http://twitter.com/#!/NinyaBella

And really, Rih's hair looks nappy in this pic?? It certainly doesn't to me. Just makes me smh @ how hard people would've went on her if she rocked natural 4B hair.

http://twitpic.com/4w9q7q

cocosweet

http://cdn.mediatakeout.com/48506/y...n____for_saying_that_rihs_hair_was_nappy.html

When I first read the story, I was like go, Rih!! Then I go to the girl's twitter page and I can't believe how many black people are co-signing her, like really?

I started to not even post this to not give this girl more shine, but really, I just can't believe this! :nono:

http://twitter.com/#!/NinyaBella

And really, Rih's hair looks nappy in this pic?? It certainly doesn't to me. Just makes me smh @ how hard people would've went on her if she rocked natural 4B hair.

http://twitpic.com/4w9q7q
Yeah. It was one of the more lively discussions on the Entertainment board yesterday.:yep:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=544411

Amerie2304

Ahh, I should have known you guys were already on top of it! I guess I have to get more versed with the other sections on here lol.

Aireen

Nappy is not a derogatory word and from reading the girl's blog it seems like she didn't mean it as such. Not saying Rihanna's wrong for her comment, from her side it looks like an attack against her. Maybe the girl that made the comment should've just used a word that doesn't have negative connotations for some people behind it. :look: Saying her hair looked dry may have sufficed since she said that's what she means when she uses the word nappy. Although the supposed death threats are too much over two regular people. :look:

bride91501

Yaaaaaaas Ri Ri! Sometimes, celebrity or not, you gotta set some of these heifers straight.

I've always liked Rihanna, but I gotta admit, I gained so much more respect for her after that *read*.

ezina

As unprofessional as Rihanna's response was, I loved it! I get a sense of realness from her, haha. Anyway, I don't think Rihanna's hair looks "nappy" at all. It just looks very "wiggy" to me.

Nonie

Tangled does not equal nappy...Ignorance at its best...and I have to admit, Rih's response was hilarious

Pretty much, coz nappy means "having tight coils" and I see no such thing in that image of Rihanna's hair. Rihanna's hair doesn't look tangled either so I don't think the chick was using it to mean that either.

I think people use "nappy" to mean not looking slick (and I think that's what the girl meant), but I don't believe the word has ever had that definition as long as it has existed in the English language. Its root "nap" entered the English language in the 15th century and meant "downy surface of cloth" from noppe (tuft of wool). Nap on cloth is that soft, fuzzy raised surface like on velvet or the surface of a beaver hat. African hair formed afros that did look clouds or fluffy, another definition of "downy". (Down are those fine, soft feathers that first cover baby birds and are also found as an under coat in big birds.) In the 1950's the "kinky, fuzzy" definitions were added to nappy which IMO made the word perfect for describing my hair. Kinky means "tightly coiled" and indeed my 4B fits all the descriptions above: it is tightly coiled, can look like fuzz, can look fluffy, can look like a cloud, and is soft (and fine).

That said, Rhi's hair looks nothing like anything I've written in that last paragraph, so calling it nappy is clearly a misuse of the word. And yeah, I know there are many ready to jump on my case talmbout "everyone uses the word like that chick", well, "everyone" is wrong then.

And I'm out.

Guitarhero

@NinyaBella Niña

@ImRiRisHoe Because her hair looks like **** and shes rich as ****! There's no reason why her should look like ****.

----------------------

Allow me to break it down for you, puta co~no de tu madre, Black people's "nappy" hair doesn't look like sh!t. But if that's how you see it, then you DO have a lot of hate in you, you nazi beatch. First it's our "ugly" hair, then it's our "ugly" skin and next thing you know, it's our "ugly souls and bodies." Then folx like you break out the gas ovens. Soooo, saying something as stupidly ugly and hateful like that DOES matter.

ycj1

Pretty much, coz nappy means "having tight coils" and I see no such thing in that image of Rihanna's hair. Rihanna's hair doesn't look tangled either so I don't think the chick was using it to mean that either.

I think people use "nappy" to mean not looking slick (and I think that's what the girl meant), but I don't believe the word has ever had that definition as long as it has existed in the English language. Its root "nap" entered the English language in the 15th century and meant "downy surface of cloth" from noppe (tuft of wool). Nap on cloth is that soft, fuzzy raised surface like on velvet or the surface of a beaver hat. African hair formed afros that did look clouds or fluffy, another definition of "downy". (Down are those fine, soft feathers that first cover baby birds and are also found as an under coat in big birds.) In the 1950's the "kinky, fuzzy" definitions were added to nappy which IMO made the word perfect for describing my hair. Kinky means "tightly coiled" and indeed my 4B fits all the descriptions above: it is tightly coiled, can look like fuzz, can look fluffy, can look like a cloud, and is soft (and fine).

That said, Rhi's hair looks nothing like anything I've written in that last paragraph, so calling it nappy is clearly a misuse of the word. And yeah, I know there are many ready to jump on my case talmbout "everyone uses the word like that chick", well, "everyone" is wrong then.

And I'm out.
You my girl!

Guitarhero

I'm truly of non-blacks abusing "nappy" and "n1gguh." Can't we have some damn words for ourselves? You don't see me going around call her beech a$$ a sp*c nor a greaser, right? Have some respect and learn racial harmony.

EbonyCPrincess

Nappy is not a derogatory word and from reading the girl's blog it seems like she didn't mean it as such. Not saying Rihanna's wrong for her comment, from her side it looks like an attack against her. Maybe the girl that made the comment should've just used a word that doesn't have negative connotations for some people behind it. :look: Saying her hair looked dry may have sufficed since she said that's what she means when she uses the word nappy. Although the supposed death threats are too much over two regular people. :look:

I hear what you are saying, but IMHO its obvious she meant it negatively. Otherwise what reason would you have for asking WHY?! Nobody says "why does your hair look so pretty?" they say "you're hair is pretty" so the fact that she asked a question, to me, means she was using it in an insulting way.

I use nappy all the time to describe my hair and its not negative. But this right here?! Get em Rih! And I'm not even a true fan!

Vashti

I'm glad she put that chick in her place. However some of the comments there are just - :look:

If that girl wanted some attention she got an a$$ load of it now! :lol:

comatose

Hmm..Maybe cause in the picture, Rihanna's wig looks like it wasn't combed in some places...sort of clumped together. I assume that's what she means?

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
.. idk. imean why even respond to her comment tho.. as many nasty comments Im sure rihanna gets daily like why even bother giving her shine. that juss looks lame to me :ohwell:

now people are gonna talk **** to her JUST to get her attention since that's all it takes to get a celeb to respond -__-

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

@NinyaBella Niña

@ImRiRisHoe Because her hair looks like **** and shes rich as ****! There's no reason why her should look like ****.

----------------------

Allow me to break it down for you, puta co~no de tu madre, Black people's "nappy" hair doesn't look like sh!t. But if that's how you see it, then you DO have a lot of hate in you, you nazi beatch. First it's our "ugly" hair, then it's our "ugly" skin and next thing you know, it's our "ugly souls and bodies." Then folx like you break out the gas ovens. Soooo, saying something as stupidly ugly and hateful like that DOES matter.

AND ON the celebrity blogs' comments sections .... the racist remarks went to a whole 'nother level:perplexed

and "apparently all nigg*s hair look like pubes"

Afrobuttafly

Oh mama, mama, mama I just shot a skank down
Via the internet
In front of a big ole crowd
Oh I..Oh I
Oh mama, mama, mama I just shot a skank down
Via the internet

Rihanna- Skank Down

}|{ Afrobuttafly

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I love you Nonie!

And I'm out.

Sent from my Zio using Long Hair Care Forum App

Carmelella

Who is she to call her out on nappy/dry hair anywayz. She meant it as an insult. If I walked up to you everyday and commented on how nappy or dry your hair is and asked you "why" you would be insulted.

Tiye

And I'm out.

^^ I like this :grin::grin::grin::grin:

I thought this was going to be a thread about why nappy hair or lack of it has nothing at all to do with kinky/nappy haired ancestors.

In all fairness Rihanna does have what appears to be tightly coiled hair that sometimes peeps out at the sides of her wigs/weaves/hair pieces - and I like her response. :yep:

Solitude

And I'm out.

Nonie

Nobody outside of the message boards uses the word nappy in the way you described. It's not something technical. It's one of those things were you just know it when you see it.

I'm not trying to "jump on your case" since I really could care less about Rhianna's hair, but the original etymology of a word does not limit its modern-day definition. It's a little brass to say everyone is using a word wrong when they're really not. I'm 9 or 10 weeks post and my roots are nappy right now....my edges are looking just like RhiRhi's in that pic.

Nonie

@Nonie

Nobody outside of the message boards uses the word nappy in the way you described. It's not something technical. It's one of those things were you just know it when you see it.

I'm not trying to "jump on your case" since I really could care less about Rhianna's hair, but the original etymology of a word does not limit its modern-day definition. It's a little brass to say everyone is using a word wrong when they're really not. I'm 9 or 10 weeks post and my roots are nappy right now....my edges are looking just like RhiRhi's in that pic.

@Solitude, actually they do! I was outside of forums when I started to use it the way I still do. It's just that forums allowed me to showcase it proudly coz outside of here, no one really fusses about hair like we do. My brother and hubby have never been on hair boards and they do use it that way. Same with the word kinky. Also my parents love language (and I think they may be why I do too)--particularly my Dad who lives on word puzzles--and even he said it was the word used mostly in the US to mean kinky. BTW in Kenya, where I grew up, nappy is mostly used as a noun referring to a diaper. So when I heard it used as adjective (not noun EDIT) I got my definition and understanding from the dictionary. As I mentioned, I love language and since English is my third language, I learned the word "nappy" in the sense of "kinky" not the way you describe. In other words, I got my definitions not from history or the negative use of it. And even after researching why it's so offensive, I haven't found anything that would make me hate the word. I have explained this point enough times on the forum so if you missed my posts, I suggest you do a search for "nappy" and Nonie as poster and you'll see what I mean.

Incidentally, I've asked a few white folks what nappy means at my job and one said, "Isn't that like an afro?" and another said "tightly curled" and one guy said, "Isn't that like black people's hair w/o chemicals?". I have a friend who was an English teacher (white) and she's always known it to mean tightly coiled. She does know that people use it as an insult and was so happy to find out I have never ever used it any other way but the way English meant it to be. I guess never having grown up hearing the negative association makes all that just roll off me like meh. I simply see those who use it that way as ignorant so it doesn't get to me. To me it's no different from someone saying "women are dumb" or "black people have no brains". Or someone calling me "Blackie!" or making a face and saying "African!" as if it's an insult (I am black and I am African and prouder of it than words and can say so... the point?) . I don't see things like they do nor do I buy into their BS. I know they couldn't be more wrong in those statements or their sentiments so I don't even flinch. It's almost laughable but more pitiful to hear. I'd almost feel sorry for them for being so dumb and not even knowing it...if I had room to care.

@Tiye, the discussion wasn't about Rihanna's natural hair but about how her hair looked in the last link the OP posted. It just looks like straight hair w/o shine. So that's what I was referring to in my post.

ETA: My brother just told me that they had this discussion in their class a few years ago, and his English professor also uses the word nappy like we do. *shrug*

Last edited:

carameldelight87

Ok, so why has no one addressed that Rihanna's response was inappropriate because...IT'S NOT HER HAIR!!!! So her being black has nothing to do with her WIG lookin rough. Honestly to me they both look stupid.

The girl looks stupid because Rihanna's hair doesn't look "nappy" at all. It does look rough, dry, and brittle though. But the girl ignorantly associated that with the term "nappy."

Rihanna looks dumb because again, it's not her hair and being black is NOT an excuse to wear a raggedy weave. And even if it is her hair, being black does not mean your hair has to look rough, dry, and brittle; or even "nappy," whether you use the denotative or connotative meaning.

I honestly don't think it's ever smart to answer a question "because I'm black" if you're really being serious...you look just as dumb as the person asking the question. *kanyeshrug*

You can't tell me that this wig doesn't look raggedy! If this girl had simply said "why does your hair look a mess?" no one would say a word.

Last edited:

Nonie

^^That may be, although to me "dry looking" has never been equal to "looking ruggedy". My hair always looks dry, even when layered with products. Never glossy, or shiny which might be what others consider "not dry looking". If I were to straighten my hair then put curls in it, it might look like Rihanna's hair looks in that pic. I don't see tangles or mats, so ruggedy didn't even come to mind. In fact, what I see is what looks like 4B hair straightened and reverting a bit or just blown out--and in both cases, curled. Not everyone's hair gets bling-y when straightened, so to me that wig looks more like real hair to me than the shiny, Barbie doll wigs some people wear. So perhaps Rihanna wanted a "realistic looking wig". And again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder because that doesn't look ruggedy to me. (Just like some folks find Jay Z's uncombed hair looking cute and I find it ugly! :perplexed) In fact, if I had the time/patience, I could find a post or two with hair that looks like that on this forum to which praises were hurled about how pretty the hair looked. I'm pretty sure the "insert 4B hair pics" thread, in which I myself am proud to be in, has images with hair looking like that wig and no one called the hair ruggedy. So... :look::spinning:

Secondly, Rihanna's response, albeit odd if she was referring to her wig since it is not nappy in that image, may not be completely off coz the question could have been "Why did you pick a wig that's so nappy?" And still the answer would have been "Coz it looks close to how my hair would look coz I'm black." The question could have been asked about her skin. Suppose she'd taken a photo in poor lighting and appeared darker than usual and the question had been, "Why are you so dark?" She could have said, "Because I'm black, Silly!" And while some might have probably known the question meant "Why do you look darker than normal?" Her response would not be off because the question could be interpreted in any number of ways and it's up to the one asking to make themselves clearer. What's more, who goes around announcing, "Yes, this is a wig I'm wearing people!" all willy nilly. Most times we try to find wigs/weaves that could pass off as our own hair and when we get compliments, especially from strangers, we will usually just smile and say thanks, never saying more--unless it's someone we're close to enough to share our little secret. So that she responded about a wig as if it's her hair I don't think is odd at all. I'm sure many of us do it. *shrug*

Last edited:

carameldelight87

^^That may be, although to me "dry looking" has never been equal to "looking ruggedy". My hair always looks dry, even when layered with products. Never glossy, or shiny which might be what others consider "not dry looking". If I were to straighten my hair then put curls in it, it might look like Rihanna's hair looks in that pic. I don't see tangles or mats, so ruggedy didn't even come to mind. In fact, what I see is what looks like 4B hair straightened and reverting a bit or just blown out--and in both cases, curled. Not everyone's hair gets bling-y when straightened, so to me that wig looks more like real hair to me than the shiny, Barbie doll wigs some people wear. So perhaps Rihanna wanted a "realistic looking wig". And again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder because that doesn't look ruggedy to me. (Just like some folks find Jay Z's uncombed hair looking cute and I find it ugly! :perplexed) In fact, if I had the time/patience, I could find a post or two with hair that looks like that on this forum to which praises were hurled about how pretty the hair looked. I'm pretty sure the "insert 4B hair pics" thread, in which I myself am proud to be in, has images with hair looking like that wig and no one called the hair ruggedy. So... :look::spinning:

Secondly, Rihanna's response, albeit odd if she was referring to her wig since it is not nappy in that image, may not be completely off coz the question could have been "Why did you pick a wig that's so nappy?" And still the answer would have been "Coz it looks close to how my hair would look coz I'm black." The question could have been asked about her skin. Suppose she'd taken a photo in poor lighting and appeared darker than usual and the question had been, "Why are you so dark?" She could have said, "Because I'm black, Silly!" And while some might have probably known the question meant "Why do you look darker than normal?" Her response would not be off because the question could be interpreted in any number of ways and it's up to the one asking to make themselves clearer...

I don't care to define every word I use, I think it's safe to assume that "dry" was being used to denote a lack of moisture, not shine. Meaning the hair was malnourished.

If you really think the hair in that picture looks healthy and/or album cover worthy...I guess. I've seen 4b look better than that straightened.

And as for the "praises" people get on LHCF, sometimes I give some of these threads the major side eye because those praises can be super fake. But it's all about encouraging one another so I usually don't say anything at all. I just side eye the thread and keep it moving.

I still stand by my statement. No matter what you're responding to, to say that it is a direct result of you being "black" is ignorant. You're not darker because you're black, there are dark-skinned Dominicans, Indians, etc. I'm black and I'm not dark-skinned.

It's downright ridiculous when you think about it. Black folks are so diverse there is not one single thing you can say we ALL possess that could be attributed to our "blackness."

If A is dark-skinned because she's black, then is B not black because she's not dark-skinned?

I know, I'm taking this kinda far but I'm just trying to point out the absurdity in anyone SERIOUSLY (I leave exceptions for people being funny or sarcastic) trying to attribute a characteristic solely to their race.

Last edited: