Were You Surprised by Your Hair Texture?

MissDarcei

I recently had an argument with someone regarding hair texture. I was explaining how very mild texturizing worked but they didnt believe me. It spiraled into them saying I had a hair complex because I "wanted to be in the '3 category' so bad" and that i'd see i really actually have "nappy 4b hair when I BC" (Because im dark skinned and not mixed right down the middle like her *cough side-eye*) and I just had to walk away at that point because this chick was plain ol' silly.

Anyway, this got me thinking, although I'm pretty sure I'm not naturally a 4b(I wish...) I wonder if my natural hair will 'surprise me' once I go fully natural. I know a lot of people who have gone natural had no idea what their hair texture was going to be like. Were you surprised? And was it a good surprise or a bad one?

Theresamonet

I was surprised that I had a curl pattern. I didn't remember having any curl as a kid. I just remember a bushy puff.

Charla

Yeah, I was definitely surprised! I didn't see natural hair on anybody in my family, and although when I look back on my pre-relaxer days as a child, my hair looked so pretty and full and curly, I didn't equate that to be the way my hair would be now. I just always chalked that up to "child" hair! lol!

Now, I was discussing this with my older sis and she said said she's not surprised at my hair's curl/texture (whatever you want to call it) because she said if I look at our Daddy's hair (what he has left after MPB lol!), his hair is similar to mine now, except his hair is fine, whereas only my nape is fine. The rest of my hair is med-coarse.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I wasn't surprised by the texture. I had a feeling I was a 3C. I am more surprised by my hair's shrinkage and how it frizzes it if I look at it funny LOL I'm 4 years natural as of 9/23 and I'm still trying to figure out my hair.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Yes, I was. I didn't realize I had a curl pattern in my hair. I was natural until I was 14. I think why I never knew is because my hair was always brushed out. My mom would wash my hair once a week and brush it out and let it air dry in 2 or 3 braids. So all week long it would be brushed out once in the morning for school and once at night for bed, never allowing it a chance to stay in it's natural state.

ETA: OP, don't pay that person any mind that you were speaking to. You don't seem like a 4B to me.

Anakinsmomma

I'm still transitioning, and I'm shocked by the little coils that popped up now that my NG is clean and moisturized...

nappystorm

I thought I had wavy hair because my new growth was wavy. I was surprised to see that it was actually curly. It's also more dense than I thought it would be.

Bublin

I had no idea my hair strands were so thin and ultra curly.

My Mum swears my hair wasn't like this as a child - she says it was fluffier and smoother and alot easier to style.

Embyra

I "wanted to be in the '3 category' so bad" and that i'd see i really actually have "nappy 4b hair when I BC"

People are crazy one woman said to me i wouldnt have gone natural if i had hair like hers and i only went natural as i have curly hair

NO **** you mean YOU hoped you would have curly hair and was praying for what you wanted your hair to be :rolleyes: *end rant*:look:

I wasnt shocked about my texture i was natural till 13/14 i never used product on my hair like i do now so my hair having curls is a surprise to me same as alot of product newbies

JeterCrazed

I'm not natural, but I'm new to stretching and I am quite surprised at what my natural roots look like. Mind you, I can't comb through it, but it's much shinier ans wavier than I remember. Probably because of the 500-degree hot comb I had to endure. The lil peek of my natural, undamaged hair is very surprising. With all the hair stretching tips I found on this forum, I'm considering letting it grow out a lil more. Who knows I may become an accidental natural one day.

MissDarcei

This is why I wanted to go natural in the first place. As a child my hair was curly when wet and a bush when dry because I didnt know anything about products so I dont really know what it looks like moisturized. Im excited to see it for the first time.

Dizz

I was natural throughout most of my teenage years, so I wasn't surprised by my texture. What did surprise me is how different my hair appears and behaves now that it is properly moisturized and I'm not raking though it to make it poofy.

Imani

I wasn't surprised at my texture, I knew I was 4b. But like others have said, I didn't know my hair curled up (even tho they are very irregular and not consistent like other types, even being 4b I still have some visible coils). I thought only looser textured hair had coils bc as a child, my hair was always immediately combed or brushed out into a puffy fro and pressed out. Also it probably didn't have any coils bc it was not properly moisturized.

NikkiQ

I was surprised at how many different textures and curl patterns I had going on at once. I'm 3b around my ears,3c around my nape, and 4a everywhere else. When transitioning, all I saw was the 4a in my crown until it got long enough in the back to dangle and then BAM! where did those big coils come from??

kupenda

Im just surprised at how dry the crown of my hair is.

Lol nice.

I'm surprised that I have a 3c patch. I knew I had 4a curls. But I thought for sure I had medium to thick strands. My 3c patch is comprised of these delicate, wispy, adorably fragile strands. I never knew they were hair strands. Thought they were clothing fibers. And I have soooo much fun just touching my 4a new growth :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

SimJam

I was surprised that I had a curl pattern. I didn't remember having any curl as a kid. I just remember a bushy puff.

exactly !!!!!!

bushy, static-y, dry, knotty hair that would hurt the fingers that plaited it:drunk:

both myself and my mother (who had to deal with my hair) are pleasanty surprised :lachen:

youwillrise

i guess i was a little surprised at the fact that my hair wasnt just ONE texture.

i actually ended up cutting my hair a few times partly because the back (nape area and a section going up the middle of my head) is different than the rest. i thought something was wrong with my hair. that i still had chemicals or something...but each time i cut it, it would grow back the same...so finally i decided that it was just part of my natural hair.

i think that was the most surprising thing. i was expecting one texture...hair that looked and felt the same all the way around.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I was surprised. Like many other ladies here, when I was "natural" as a child my hair was just poofy and not curly. It's probably because my hair was heat damaged, I LIVED for the hot comb and braids. It's 4a for the most part but I have a 4b patch at the crown I think.

BrookeLynn

Like another lady said, I was surprised my hair curled. When I was little my mom always brushed my hair out into bushy ponytails, or into twists, cornrows and braids. I also used to get my hair pressed.