Black College Wire article - Natural Hair and Nappy Heads

Wait a min. And this chick is the author? Get outta here! So its ok for her to be free from chemicals but not other black women?

Is this a case of natural hair envy? Could sista-girl be mad that other women are going natural and lookin better than her? Justsayin.:look:

Lynnerie, I think you may be on to something.

This is really sad. I would have been a lot less disappointed if it was written by someone of a different race. SMH

davisbr88

^^ If a YT girl wrote this, I would hope it would never be published. And if so, people would be camping outside her dorm with pitchforks.

reeko43

@ Rocky91 Wow, great article!!! So positive. I hope more schools will have supportive groups like this. The person who wrote the negative article should take note. Can anyone provide her with a copy?

Last edited:

prettyhair73

I need to have my folks in Greensboro get the tea on this chick. She sounds ignorant and I am dying to see her hair.

frida1980

I need to have my folks in Greensboro get the tea on this chick. She sounds ignorant and I am dying to see her hair.

I graduated from the college across town from her. It's bad enough that she sounds like an ignorant BM that hates "nappy" hair but to hear she's from NC a&t too? Just rough...

The girl needs some help. She may have a point about the fad thing. But who is she to judge anyone?! And did she really write this or was it one if her ignorant male friends that submitted this under her name. That's the only way this entire article makes sense.

Shadiyah

maybe this was for a grade??? maybe she was being the devil advicate??? just sayiing because it didn't make any since..

AvaSpeaks

Do we know how the girls on her campus are wearing their hair?

Because natural hair right now is a trend for some people, alot of people don't know what to do with their hair or what kinds of styles they could do with natural hair. Styles that are fly and beautiful or classy or fun.

I mean there are obvious flaws with the writer and the article. However, I don't know what some of these women on the campus are doing with their hair and from my experience, I have seen alot of women walking around looking a hot mess in the name of style and "natural hair" and frankly, people have a right to wear their hair in whatever way they want to. But that doesn't always mean it looks good :ohwell:

Unfornately :perplexed

Um, she writes for a paper? Her writing is terrible!! What kind of college is this where she can be considered a writer? I take it they have no editors? I took even more umbrage to her excessive use of the word "females" than to what she was actually saying. I'm sick and tired of hearing urbanites referring to women as "females." I'm not even pms'ing, I seriously hate it. It sounds ignorant and sexist.

nappyeditor

Looks like this ran in Sept. She posted a rebuttal here:

http://www.ncatregister.com/i-support-natural-hair-instead-of-nappy-head

This doesn't really do much for clearing things up. It's worse than the first one! It's as though she got angry with the comments and then just posted a rant. smh ...

Being born of a cosmetologist and having styled other people's hair for
years, I decided to write my last article on a pet peeve of mine: the
natural hair trend. I wrote the article to make two points: natural hair
is becoming a trend and everyone cannot wear it. That is all.

My article offended many people and I did not understand why. To be
offended by what I said would mean that you obviously have a lack of
confidence with how you wear your natural hair. Or is it a deeper
self-esteem issue? In that case, you need to look beyond my opinion.

For those people who do not know how to read before making assumptions
and comments, I never said in any part of my last article that natural
or nappy hair was a bad thing. I wear natural hair so how could I
condemn it?

I believe that one should not attempt a style trend whether it be
clothes, hair, or whatever that does not compliment them. A lot of
people are walking around with style trends, such as natural hair, that
does not compliment them at all.

Never did I "lump" anyone into a group "incapable of thinking for
themselves", nor single out any one person.

Furthermore, for those who do not know what an editorial is, it is
defined as an article in a newspaper or other periodical presenting the
OPINION of the writer. So in other words, I can write on whatever I
want. No one has to agree with what I said, although many do, because it
is in fact MY opinion.

As for the reason why I picked the natural hair trend to talk about, "of
all the stupid trends that are going around on this school's campus," is
because it needed to be said. If you have an issue with it you should
stop complaining and come to Contributor's meetings at 5 pm on
Wednesdays in room 328 in GCB if you have something to say.

As far as nappy hair; it is not always a bad thing; however, it is not
always presentable. Just because your hair grows out of your head a
certain way naturally does not mean you can leave it that way. Everyone
was born naked but that does not mean we can walk around with no clothes
on and think it is acceptable. Men have natural hair but that does not
stop them from wearing wave caps or getting it cut every other week.
Women should take the same care and maintenance with their hair whether
it is natural or not.

In today's society, appearance plays a big part in the opportunities we
are able to take advantage of, as well as how successful we become. Our
appearance is taken into consideration when applying for jobs, going to
interviews, and climbing the corporate ladder. Just because you feel
like your nappy hair is fine because its natural does not mean a
potential boss will find it as pleasing.

For those people who cut their hair off "way before it became a fad" I
do not even know how to begin ripping that statement to shreds. I'm
sorry but if you did not realize, trends repeat themselves over the
decades and the trend is beginning again. Natural hair was a trend when
your parents were in the 10th grade.

We live in a time where we have the resources to make an improvement to
our bodies' and appearance. Why shouldn't we take advantage of that? Why
shouldn't we look as presentable as possible when we have the
opportunity? You should not settle for a mediocre appearance when you
can do so much better.

There was a time when there were more leaders than followers. Now,
there are more followers than anything. The bottom line is that natural
hair is not for everyone and just because you have natural hair does not
mean it looks good. It is clearly a reoccurring trend in which many
people should not partake.

EllePixie

If she doesn't understand why that article upset people, with her bald cue ball head, she seriously lacks social skills. I'm concerned for her when she graduates college. Good luck, kiddo!

LunadeMiel

I've asked this numerous times before and I'm going to ask it again. How can the hair that grows out of your head be a trend? How does the this even makes sense to anyone? What kind of stupid does someone have to be to make such a statement? I.Just.Don't.Get.It

I just finished reading her rebuttal. I've cocluded that she's a complete idiot. Therefore, I'm not even going to bother trying to understand her point...:look:

Platinum

Ridiculous!:nono: She obviously has an issue with believing that some women look better than her. Instead of congratulating sistas, she's tearing them down. Sometimes, our people can be our worst enemy.

Tiye

I don't need tea. Assuming she's a traditional aged undergraduate - i.e. under the age of 24, I think it's charming that someone has raised her to be so retro. She was born in the late 80s or at some time in the 90s yet she sounds like she's straight out of the 1940s. Interesting.

I wouldn't take this woman serious.

I don't :).

maybe this was for a grade??? maybe she was being the devil advicate??? just sayiing because it didn't make any since..

So if you write for a grade it's okay not to make sense??

The internet natural trend has been going on for at least ten years now so I do think it's interesting when some people seem to think it started two years ago.

AvaSpeaks

I've asked this numerous times before and I'm going to ask it again. How can the hair that grows out of your head be a trend? How does the this even makes sense to anyone? What kind of stupid does someone have to be to make such a statement? I.Just.Don't.Get.It

I just finished reading her rebuttal. I've cocluded that she's a complete idiot. Therefore, I'm not even going to bother trying to understand her point...:look:

Natural hair is not a trend. "going natural", that's the trend.

Right now, alot of women go "natural" because they feel it's okay to now. They see lots of other women doing it so now if they do it, they won't be the only one and won't feel so out of place. And also they see more and more acceptance of it in the workplace and public sphere.

But ALOT of women are going back to either having relaxed or straighten their natural hair. Because after awhile for them it is not what they thought it would be. This by the very nature is a "trend", something that mainstream begins to follow for a limited amount of time because at that time, it's the thing to do.

Having "natural hair" for some women is becoming a trend. Looking back at history, it turned out to be a trend in the late 60's - 70's too when everybody was wearing Afros. And they too thought back then that how your hair was growing out of your scalp, you should wear it that way, and they did.

And then in 81, the relaxers came back with a vengence. And everybody accepted it. Please, let's not delude ourselves, most people are not as serious about hair care as LHCF, so for some natural hair or "going natural" is a trend.

Last edited:

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies

Right now, alot of women go "natural" because they feel it's okay to now. They see lots of other women doing it so now if they do it, they won't be the only one and won't feel so out of place. And also they see more and more acceptance of it in the workplace and public sphere.

But ALOT of women are going back to either having relaxed or straighten their natural hair. Because after awhile for them it is not what they thought it would be. This by the very nature is a "trend", something that mainstream begins to follow for a limited amount of time because at that time, it's the thing to do.

Having "natural hair" for some women is becoming a trend. Looking back at history, it turned out to be a trend in the late 60's - 70's too when everybody was wearing Afros. And they too thought back then that how your hair was growing out of your scalp, you should wear it that way, and they did.

And then in 81, the relaxers came back with a vengence. And everybody accepted it. Please, let's not delude ourselves, most people are not as serious about hair care as LHCF, so for some natural hair or "going natural" is a trend.

But at the same time, you CANNOT compare the 60s and the 70s to now. Being natural has become more than just wearing afros, with black women everywhere creating bold new and innovative styles for the 21st century natural haired woman. Research is even being done on historic African hairstyles and care and incorporating such practices in our modern lives.

Yes, people have always been natural. But never before have we had numerous forums devoting to learning more about HEALTHY African American hair. What about the plethora of new blogs popping up everyday and very influential ones like "Black Girl with Long Hair" and "Curly Nikki." We are now seeing an EXPLOSION of women on YOUTUBE explore their journeys with their natural hair, which in my opinion, is the most potent force in the Natural Hair Community/trend we see now.

Natural Hair has now opened up more discussions on black w omen's health in general, and not just aesthetics. More people are interested in the chemical ingredients and formulas found in our hair products; learning about the effects of natural products vs synthetic chemicals. More black women are turning towards stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes to purchase hair products beyond the corner BSS.

Many Black women are now seeing natural hair as the option get grow longer hair they never thought they could. This natural hair trend is by no means happening during a time of Black Consciousness like during the 60s and 70s but smack dab in the middle of "Yaki World" where straight hair reigns supreme in both the media and our normative society.

It's very different which is why I believe "going natural" right at this moment is not merely a trend like before, but more of a conscious effort to not only learn about what is growing from our heads, but how we could encourage such a legacy (hair practices, styles, natural hair eduction) in generations to come.

Last edited:

LongLeggedLife

I may be out of the loop, but in what areas is this the trend? I see the same (extremely sparse) amts of natty's as I always have.

Aside from online....which I think sites such as this are merely a collection of naturals, I have yet to witness any natural craze/trend or whatever sweeping the nation...

(I live in ATL by the way....where the side/middle parted sew-in/lacefront is KING)

BEAUTYU2U

Ignorance. Natural hair is not a trend. If it was, as she compared it to the Nicki Minaj trend, where is our celeb inspiration? These are regular women who decided chemicals weren't for them. And how can it not look good on everyone?! It's THEIR hair. I'm waiting for the article where white woman are berated for wearing their hair straight.

*still waiting*

blueberryd

I may be out of the loop, but in what areas is this the trend? I see the same (extremely sparse) amts of natty's as I always have.

Aside from online....which I think sites such as this are merely a collection of naturals, I have yet to witness any natural craze/trend or whatever sweeping the nation...

(I live in ATL by the way....where the side/middle parted sew-in/lacefront is KING)

@ LongLeggedLife ----Girl u ain't neva lie !! :lachen:

SaNyjh

I don't think it's a trend. I actually think relaxing was a trend at one point. I remember I received my first relaxer at 9. I was only "touched" up when my hair became an issue for my mother again. It was never no 4-6 weeks either, more like 3-6 months. I didn't start getting those 4-6 week touch ups until I wanted to achieve a certain style. But my mother and her sisters maintain these thick beautiful heads of hair with their pressing combs. When I was a teenager and started keeping regular appts at the salon, it seemed like you needed a relaxer for every hair style. I would tell her what I wanted and she would say you need a touch up if you want that. So, when did the hot comb get replaced with the relaxer? It was good enough for our mamas.....I'm 30 :)

SaNyjh

But at the same time, you CANNOT compare the 60s and the 70s to now. Being natural has become more than just wearing afros, with black women everywhere creating bold new and innovative styles for the 21st century natural haired woman. Research is even being done on historic African hairstyles and care and incorporating such practices in our modern lives.

Yes, people have always been natural. But never before have we had numerous forums devoting to learning more about HEALTHY African American hair. What about the plethora of new blogs popping up everyday and very influential ones like "Black Girl with Long Hair" and "Curly Nikki." We are now seeing an EXPLOSION of women on YOUTUBE explore their journeys with their natural hair, which in my opinion, is the most potent force in the Natural Hair Community/trend we see now.

Natural Hair has now opened up more discussions on black w omen's health in general, and not just aesthetics. More people are interested in the chemical ingredients and formulas found in our hair products; learning about the effects of natural products vs synthetic chemicals. More black women are turning towards stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes to purchase hair products beyond the corner BSS.

Many Black women are now seeing natural hair as the option get grow longer hair they never thought they could. This natural hair trend is by no means happening during a time of Black Consciousness like during the 60s and 70s but smack dab in the middle of "Yaki World" where straight hair reigns supreme in both the media and our normative society.

It's very different which is why I believe "going natural" right at this moment is not merely a trend like before, but more of a conscious effort to not only learn about what is growing from our heads, but how we could encourage such a legacy (hair practices, styles, natural hair eduction) in generations to come.

There's never really been any type communications like this until the internet. The only people we had to learn from was our family, friends and TV. Essence, Ebony or JET didn't talk about it. They just advertised relaxers and hair care products.