Who doesn't base??

Cindy70

Just wondering how many ladies here don't base their scalp before relaxing? For some reason I always thought that the basing product would somehow block the straightening power of the relaxer, but I've been hearing lately that it's the best thing to do... just wanted to get some opinions on the subject. Thanks!

If you're using a LYE relaxer, please be sure to base your scalp...whether it's a popular thing to do here or not. It's for your own good. :)

Basing your scalp will NOT, I repeat... will NOT block the "straightening power" of the relaxer. :Rose:

I've never based my scalp. I applied vaseline several times around my hairline and ears before but since I've been relaxing my hair (about 10-11 years ago) I can count on one hand how many times I did that.
I never had any problems whatsoever though.

Let me add that I always used no lye except for one time.

I have been relaxing my hair off and on for 30 years with a lye relaxer......without basing my scalp. So has my 80 year old aunt.

We are both healthy, and wise, if not wealthy.:D

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's good to see that I'm not the only one not basing.... although I might give it a try with my next relaxer just to see if I notice any difference.

I'm natural now... :cool:

When I was relaxed, I didn't base. I used either Optimum or Pink no lye relaxers for years without any problems...& I relaxed "bone straight" too. Before I did my last touch-up, I based my scalp w/vaseline... my new growth wasn't bone straight like I preferred...but then again, I didn't leave the relaxer on as long either.

If I had to give sum advice, I'd recommend basing... it's better to take the cautious road :cool:

Back