Who doesn't base the scalp?

syze6

The guy who does my hair in the Aveda Salon does not base the scalp before relaxing. Although, I make sure he bases mine, he makes it a point to let me know he doesn't normally base the scalp. I try to explain to him that it helps soothe any burning. He claims he makes sure it doesn't touch the scalp. There is no way you can apply a relaxer and not get some on the scalp. It seems alot of these egytian salons don't base!

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I've had my hair done both ways and what matters most to me is whether I have scratched first. Otherwise I get the same results. I have a high level of pain tolerance though. Also, my stylist really doesn't leave the chemical on that long since I am texlaxed.

OT: Where do you get your hair done, by the way?

syze6

I've had my hair done both ways and what matters most to me is whether I have scratched first. Otherwise I get the same results. I have a high level of pain tolerance though. Also, my stylist really doesn't leave the chemical on that long since I am texlaxed.

OT: Where do you get your hair done, by the way?

The aveda day salon on Van buren aand Plymouth Court, downtown Chicago?

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I was wondering because that sounds like a guy where I get my hair done, but I go on 13th Street between Michigan and Indiana.

prospurr4

I've never based my scalp, and I've been self-relaxing for many years. My scalp never burns either. In fact, until coming to this board, I never realized that so many people have problems with relaxers burning them.

bluefolli

I self relax and don't base my scalp. Not to say I never used that process in the past but I pay more attention to the application now than I did back then. Using those color/relaxer brushes will burn me everytime, so I just use my fingers and the back of a rat tail comb.

Princess Pie

I don't base either. It takes too much time, and I don't have issues with burning. When I did in the past, I had issues with the product I was using to base interfering with the relaxer.

Finesse

I don't base. I relax my hair and my daughter's. I have found that as long as I get it in and get it out in the alloted time, we never burn. Also someone mentioned using the relaxer brush applicator...That's a :nono: for me. Never again, that was the one time I burned like I was on fire! Just gloved fingers and maybe a tip comb and I am straight :thumbsup:

Soliel185

I don't base. Sometimes I do around the ears and forehead, but once I start relaxing most resistant growth first ( crown ) and least resistant last ( nape & edges ) I didn't even have to do that anymore.

balisi

I prefer not to base, but I do it because I know summa ya'll would be looking at me like WTH??? if I don't. But my methods of application really don't require a base, for the most part.

Keen

I only base the edges. Personally I don't think you need to unless you have sensitive scalp or tend to have the relaxer on your hair longer than expected to. Not letting the relaxer touch the scalp initially is standard good practice. The heat from your scalp makes the relaxer touching your scalp process faster. So this is to make sure all the hair process evenly, the hair closer to the scalp is not straighther than the rest of your new growth.