WHAT'S YOUR WINTER "PROTECTIVE" ROUTINE

Bun Mistress

This is winter number three for me. Nothing special. Roller settings if I want straight hair. (if)
But for the most part:
DC/steaming once a week
protein/moisture balance
braidout (four braids, I'm lazy)
and two things I learned from last year
JBCO and steam from the shower once a week
warm air humidifer at night. ---I also plan to get a BKT at the end of January

Qurlyqt

I've been doing a lot of braidouts lately and although I may still do them occasionally on the weekends, I'm going to be strict about bunning during the week. I've slacked a bit with my steaming so I'm going to try and commit to DC with steam each week.

janeemat

I need to step up my routine period. I have not been focusing on my hair lately. Too much other stuff going on. Seeing this post just kicked me into a new gear. I just got up from my desk and went into the ladies room and oiled my scalp with amla oil since I plan to poo and condition tonight. Yes, I have a stash at work. I don't know the last time I pre-pooed, so I will call this prepoo. I really need more oil treatements this time of year. I will probably just bun tonight and then do my normal rollerset on Sat.

MzShouldaLength

Well, technically. I go to a crafts store, buy the material, and wrap it inside without sewing it in. I'm a beret groupie.

I totally agree with the bolded. I call them my bad hair day hats for summer. But I've been putting my satin bonnet on and then putting a beret over it for the past week, so I'm getting use out of the bad hair day hats everyday! They are so easy and take about 2 mins to put on after moisturizing and sealing...It's so much easier to protective style in the winter to me. I'm not as tempted to wear it out. :yep:

lonei

I just try to protect my ends more by doing the type of pincurls that make your hair spring up. I have a tutorial in my siggy.

Glitter

I'm bumping this. I never know what do to in winter. I think in previous winters, I actually washed too much. Cowashing daily has to stop. I'm also switching up products, going to heavier conditioners.

I was thinking about getting a humidifier for my room. My hair is already acting up - it's getting extremely dry and some of the products that were great for winter are doing nothing right now for my hair.

Looking forward to reading more in this thread and getting more info.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I'm bumping this. I never know what do to in winter. I think in previous winters, I actually washed too much. Cowashing daily has to stop. I'm also switching up products, going to heavier conditioners.

I was thinking about getting a humidifier for my room. My hair is already acting up - it's getting extremely dry and some of the products that were great for winter are doing nothing right now for my hair.

Looking forward to reading more in this thread and getting more info.

hey glitter.... try nonie's plan! BAGGY EVERY NITE! at least in the winter

i often cut a hole in the top of my bag to ensure my scalp breathes... HOWEVER... my hair still wakes up plenty moist!! (not as wet, but still so)

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
hey glitter.... try nonie's plan! BAGGY EVERY NITE! at least in the winter

i often cut a hole in the top of my bag to ensure my scalp breathes... HOWEVER... my hair still wakes up plenty moist!! (not as wet, but still so)

how often do yu change the bag yu use nightly.? iheard yu can get mold from it :nono:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

how often do yu change the bag yu use nightly.? iheard yu can get mold from it :nono:
:look::look::look:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

.... i use a different bag every nite....

A WALMART BAG!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::drunk:

I have tons of curl bags.... too lazy to look for them, but every time i grocery shop i grab a stack of extra bags..... b/c i tear a hole in them 99% of the time for my scalp to breathe(severely itchy scalp here)...... I feel as tho' it actually not only helps my scalp... but keeps my hair from being too over moisturized....
but the hole usually widens... so even if i deep condition with bags (rarely since the steamer and baggying).... i use grocery bags

so i never even consider reusing them simply b/c they're free grocery store joints

i started baggying b/c 99.9percent of the time I CAN'T FIND MY SILK SCARVES, DOORAGS, SILK DRAWZ, OR BONNETS (big ups to bonnet girl).... so i throw it in the bag!!!! (my hair that is)

never heard of mold tho'

Last edited:

TLC1020

I usually wash once a week and bun seven days a week... This time I am in braids b/c I bc'd back in march and I don't have enough to bun.. So I will be rocking the braids until my hair get to a point where I can comfortably put it in a bun....

Imani

I'm wearing halfwigs. I moisturize and seal w/oil daily or at least every other day. I also oil and massage my scalp. I haven't really changed much up for winter except I am more dilligent about moisturizing and probably use more product.

RegaLady

Braids, braids, and braids in a bun. Moisturize and baggy when I go out under a hat and scarf and when I go to bed. It has worked for me in the past tremendously, no need to reinvent the wheel.

karezone

Winter is almost over, but I have spent most of it in a ponytail w/the ends tucked in. Right now I am rocking crochet braids. No special hair potions or schedules. I am just washing and conditioning as needed. I do use heat but only once per week.

Aireen

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT, I love your huge coloured font, you really know how to grasp an audience's attention. You seriously make me laugh, I love your threads.

For the sake of staying on topic, no not really just more moisturizing conditioners, that's it. :grin:

AlliCat

I'm wiggin in :D

cornrows under my wigs for about a week now...will take them out around valentines day. I just spritz my braids daily with CCHI keratin mist, and oil my ends daily. JBCO on scalp every couple days. And shampoo & condition when itchy (so once a week or so)

mscurly

I've been wiggin since Thanksgiving. I keep my hair in 8 braids so I can wash, condish, and moisturize regularly.

It's so easy in the morning, I just put my wig on and go.

JJamiah

I will be wigging it. Most likely I won't braid up, I will enjoy just wrapping my hair so I can get to it weekly. :)

I couldn't get away from my corn rows and the wrapping of my hair didn't have my wigs as flat as I like so I did what I do and got it braided.

I will be wearing my hair in braids for 3 week intervals under my wigs.
bunning for the remainder of the month.
March I will leave my hair out for TLC

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Once a week, I shampoo, deep condition overnight and rollerset.
And daily, I baggy my ends overnight, seal them in the morning, and then bun them up. Easy peasy.

Miss_C

I've been wearing sew ins for the last couple of months, now im under a wig or a wrap. I'm actually doing less than I do in the summer, washing only once every couple weeks instead of every other day. I moisturize whenever I remember. My water intake and exercise is still good.

RubyWoo

This is the first winter in a very long time that I haven't worn wigs or weave. I'm just tired of it all and just want to rock my real hair. My hair finally has some length and I have been really enjoying it. I have been (and will continue) to style my hair in mini twists, updos, twistouts and puffs. I also plan to do some styles with cornrows. Youtube has given me soo many ideas to style my hair!

As for my regimen, I have been shampooing and deep conditioning once a week. I've also been moisturizing and sealing 2-3x a week.