Wigs for protective styles

Is anyone here a frequent wig wearer? I thought that this would be a good protective style other than my usaul bun during the winter time. How do you take care of wigs and what is your daily/weekly/monthly routine for your own hair before wearing one? Any suggestions on where to purchase one too? Thanks.

I wear wigs very often. I usually put my hair in a low bun twisted into a small ball with vaseline and a baggie on it. Then I put a silk scarf over my head and I put the wig over it.

I usually do cornrows or a low ponytail. I wash my wig when it doesnt smell fresh. ie after going to a smoke filled night club. I always get human hair it lasts forever and am very particular about the texture there is lots of rough hair out there. wash condition oil surge edges and nape slap on wig

Ive just started nursing school, and know I wont as much time to deal with my hair as I have over the summer. Also the bun gets boring quick, so Ive been wearing my instantweave(3/4 wig) to school lately and Im really liking it. Its easy, quick, and looks better than a bun all the time. I still plan to wear the bun, but probably a week here and there. I want to get more instantweaves!

I take it off when I get home to let me hair breathe. Also, I moisturize at night and in the morning, and the rest of my regimen is still the same as well.

It also takes my mind off my hair since Im not looking at it all day and helps me to stop manipulating it so much...I barely have to do anything to it, just moisturize it, put it in a singly braid and tuck it under.

I wear them! I snagged a wonderful human hair monofilament wig for around $89 - so many styling options and I get to protect my hair. I bought it in F27/613 - which takes rinses wonderfully - I'm having so much fun with it. Monofilament wigs have a sheer mesh-type top where the hair is hand-knotted to it (like those infamous lace-front wigs that Beyonce and Tyra wear) - so when you part you hair, it looks like your own scalp (they are better than the skin tops - much more natural looking, not so much hair, and very lightweight/breathable). I keep my hair conrowed underneath.

I am a faithful wig wearer now. My hair appreciates it also because I ususally don't touch it until it is time to wash it or moisturize it. I even treat it now as if it was my own hair by rolling it, putting conditioner in it when it gets too dry etc.

The wig I bought is called HM-Ivory from the Elegante Collection which is made by Sepia/West Bay. I've seen it on the Internet, and also on eBay. It looks wiggy on the model in the catalog, but in person it is soooooooooo nice - it is layered - shorter in the front, about brastrap length in the back. It's not a lot of hair on it either so as long as you put your hair down really well (I cornrow mine), it won't look wiggy. I bought F27/613 - which is a blend of 27 (strawberry blonde) and 613 (platinum blonde) - I put a rinse in it (these takes rinses beautifully but won't take permanent color for some reason) - Light Ash Brown from Clairol Beautiful Collection which turns it a highlighted Beyonceish color (the darker hair takes the color different than the lighter hair giving it a highlighted look). It is human hair so they styling options are limitless. The catalog pic shows it styled but it comes unstyled.

Here is a link to it on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6707852491

Back