V, U or W Shaped Hair. When Did You Learn Yours?

Sianna

When worn down, each head of hair has its own natural shape to it, whether it's a "V" shape, a "U" shape, a "W" shape, or something different all together. What I want to know, is how long was your hair when its distinct pattern of growth became evident to you? When did you know you were a "V" shape, a "W" shape or a "U" shape? How long was your hair?

As for me, I'm not really sure what kind of shape my hair is going to grow into, it has never grown long enough for me to tell. Right now it's nearly SL, and when I flat iron it, just looks blunt. Though I know this will change as my layers continue to grow out.

If I had to guess, just based on the way my hair looks now, I'd say it's going to grow in something like a "U" shape. I can't wait to find out for sure! :grin:

So what's your shape?! Inquiring minds want to know!!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Aireen

I notice my hair will grow in the shape that it's cut. If it's blunt like this __, it'll grow out bluntly for the most part. If it's cut in a V, it'll grow out in a V. If I absolutely had to say though, I would think that my hair grows out in a U when taken proper care of and V if I'm slipping. I've never had a severe V or a W shape though from lack of care or in general.

Amoreofcurls

Before I started my HHJ I had my hair cut in a boob then in layers so I pretty much already knew I was gonna have a U shape...

ellegantelle

My problem is that my hair in the front and on the sides grows significantly longer than in the back. I had a trim in December to even my entire head but already in three months the front has grown drastically longer than the back. Smh...its a very slight W once I look at it from the back...

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

leiah

I just now noticed my V shape at between APL and BSL. This is the first time I have let my hair grow without getting it cut

Kneechay

mine fluctuates between a U and V shape. I keep cutting off the 'tail' of the V, but it keeps growing back. I think when I ultimately reach my goal, I'll just trim it to a nice U. The rare times I do wear my hair down, I usually spiral curl a lot of it so my shape isn't actually seen

Forever in Bloom

I learned my hair now grows in a U shape - possibly because of a trim in May 2010. My stylist shaped my hair by only cutting off 1 inch of hair and I got this.

This picture was taken in November 2010, and I haven't had a trim since then. I only used the Splitender after flat ironing my hair this second time around. It's still maintaining its U shape, and the shorter length hairs seem to have caught up and filled in :grin:

GoodMernin

My hair is, I guess, SL and I trimmed it into a V shape. I really love that shape and as it grows I will allow the front to grow longer and try to maintain the V shape.

sidenote:

I really need to post some pics. I'll try to do so sometime this weekend.

tmkersha

My hair grows in a V shape and has since I was a child. It will grow back in to the same shape after being cut. I think it's because the hair at the nape of my neck grows much faster than the rest of my hair. When I get to the length that I want, I will probably keep it trimmed in a U shape.

snillohsss

Mine always grows in a v-shape. My longest point is past BSL, but I don't claim BSL becaus it's such a small section.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
my hair grows in a W shape because i naturally do not have hair in my nape so there is less hair in the middle making it look thinner. this is why i cut my hair bluntly so the crown hairs can cover the empty space.

Sianna

Forever in Bloom I think you have my future hair shape!!!

As it is now, my hair is blunt at the nape, and my sides are angled toward the back, kinda like this \__/

I think as it continues to grow out, the edges will soften and it'll have more of a "U" shape to it. Your hair is gorgeous BTW!!

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I have never had long hair or even SL hair before. But now that my hair is getting close to SL I think it is going to grow into a V or deep U shape. This is because of my big ol' forehead, long face and long neck. :grin: :ohwell:

ms.blue

mine fluctuates between a U and V shape. I keep cutting off the 'tail' of the V, but it keeps growing back. I think when I ultimately reach my goal, I'll just trim it to a nice U. The rare times I do wear my hair down, I usually spiral curl a lot of it so my shape isn't actually seen

This is just like my hair. My tail is stubborn b/c it keeps coming back after I even the hair out.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I never heard of a "w" shape until a few days ago here on lhcf.

it exists and its not necessarily due to breakage. i think the hemline depends on the way your nape grows if you do not cut it.

as you can see i have no hair in the center of my nape. any hair that grows there is very sparse yet the sides are dense.

when i wear my hair straight and down the lack of hair in the middle manifest itself as a gap in the hair. depending on the way i comb and the lighting it it is not visible.

you can see it really well here. i think it looks better when curled

this is why i prefer a blunt cut so the the crown hairs cover the disparity at the nape

candy626

The non layered part of my hair in the back grows out pretty evenly UNTIL it gets to where it is now. One part of it is about an 1.5 longer then the rest. It's a portion of the center-right side of my hair. I guess that might mean my hair will grow out in a v as it get beyond this point...Idk...

I guess I shall see when I get to full MBL and waist :spinning:

ItsMeFre

My sides naturally grow way faster than the back, thus creating a W. This is why I cut them much shorter because I like the U shape. But they are already catching up and when they do I think I'll leave them and cut blunt.

Kurlee

i my sides and front grow uber fast and I sometimes get the W. Gonna not cut my hair until 2013 and see what happens.

kblc06

My hair generally drops in a U-shape, but in layers if that makes sense. Like the nape will drop in length first, then followed by the crown and then the top and sides. For me it manifests as "lead-hairs" where the ends will look thin, but the top, sides, and crown will eventually catch up with the nape and thicken up.

Renewed1

V shape. It's been like this since I was a child. I tried to "train" my hair to be a blunt cut and it was a no go. I just embrace my V. Besides my little tail make it easier for me to be closer to BSL....LOL!!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Only took notice after I started my hair journey - V for the first few months but a U ever since.