type 4A&B relaxed.. how long do u normally stretch??

4 A&B relaxed, how long do you normally stretch

• 6-8 weeks

Votes: 58 13.1%
  • 8-10 weeks

Votes: 106 23.9%
  • 11-12 weeks

Votes: 139 31.3%
  • 13-16 weeks

Votes: 74 16.7%
  • 16+ (specified)

Votes: 67 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PGirl

My longest stetch is 13 weeks. Man that was hard since I was used to 4 to 5 weeks prior to that. Right now I am going on 11 weeks and I'm shooting for at least 17. I think I can do it. Ponytail rollersetting, oil rinsing or hot oil treatments help alot.

I'm shedding alot at 11 weeks. Not breaking. I'm not totally sure if it's normal shedding because I try not to comb alot until wash day.

sowhut

usually 20 weeks.
the longest being one year. the only time i've experienced breakage was when i got lazy and didnt do my daily moisturizing.

spelmanlocks

I stretch for 13 weeks. On my last relaxer I got quite a bit of breakage, so I've been contemplating going for 12 weeks.

bestblackgirl

I'm 4a/4b I normally stretch for 12-14 wks but the longest i've gone is 14 months. Regardless of the time frame I try to make sure that I maintain my protein and moisture balance otherwise I will experience serious breakage.

:huh: Really? How did you do that? Were you trying to transition and then change your mind?

bestblackgirl

The relaxer I had before this one was from August 1/2008-Dec 2/2008... that's four months.. and my hair came out very underprocess.. and i used a regular relaxer... It didnt break that much but i think I shedded too much though.

So it'll be 3 weeks on Friday since i had a touch up and i had to have it 8 weeks because my hair was a mess since it was really underprocess last time..

So i think i'll try to go for at least 16weeks.. and hopefully i'll be full apl by then

HarlemHottie

For me I go from Sept - May with no perm... I mostly perm for the summer. But I never learned how to keep the length...until now… I’ve always worn my hair on it’s on for the first few weeks, then I move into wearing the falls, and then from there I move on to the full head weave.. And I’ll do that until it’s time for the next touch up, and start the process all over again. The last time I permed my Hair was November 30th (didn’t really want to do it, more of a text lax thing)… The next time I’ll perm it is right before I go to my childhood friends wedding in the end of May.

Last edited:

RavenMaven

I'm actually transitioning, but I checked 16+ anyways because I am not sure if I will relax again or not. But hey I like the way my texture is, so I am sure that I might not relax.

JerriBlank

I am trying to stretch for 6 mos. now.I will be 10 or 11 weeks post this saturday and this is my first stretch without using braids.This is the first time i have had this much ng,and have not slapped some individuals in and called it a day.
I am doing well enough,but if it gets to be too much(in the way of breakage) and i'm still not ready to relax,then i will go ahead and braid it up for the remainder of the time.
I think the key to help manage my ng,is to keep moisturizing,and to wet my hair less frequently than the 3-4 times a week i normally do.
I have types 4a-c hair.Mostly 4a & 4b,but some 4c is in there as well.

chrstndiva

I am 4a/4b and I just started stretching my relaxers. I used to go 5-6 weeks. I went for 8 weeks last time and loved the results. This time I am going for 9 weeks. I am just learning how to deal with all the new growth so I am taking this slow 1 week more at a time.

Platinum

This coming Saturday makes 12 weeks post. I'm going for 6 month stretch- maybe longer. I plan to continue braiding or installing sew-ins while stretching because I get so overwhelmed with NG and I look like a Hot Mess. I'm thinking about doing a henna/indigo treatment after I take these braids down and before I braid it up again.

bestblackgirl

I normally stretch for 12 weeks but this stretch is going to be a total of 7 months.

What do you plan on doing to help you with your 7-month stretch? I wonder how much damage i would have if i stretch for 7 months.. hmmmm :perplexed

Let me know what u are doing to help your stretch

bestblackgirl

4b, 6 months stretching coming to an end. gladly

ooh details girl.. you cant just tell me u went for 6 months and not give me details. what did u do? How did u do? did u get help from braids, weave etc...

I dont usually get help from anything.. just bun my hair.. braids make my hair dry for some reason no matter how much i moisturize. I dont really do wigs and weaves.. so I am looking for options.

topsyturvy86

I stretched for 14 weeks the last time but had lots of breakage. I think i'm gonna go 10 or 12 weeks maximum from now on.

dm81

Ok.. this is for my relaxed ladies who stretch.. How long does your stretch usually last? And what is the longest stretch you've ever done?

The reason i ask is because I see people stretching for 6 months and I am wondering what type of hair do they have... I stretch for close to 4 months once and i think i had too much breakage, so i am wondering if it was my hair type or something else. I really want to stretch for 5 months.

I stretched for four and half months. What got me through it was going to the salon, and allowing them to blow out my roots only. Had I not gone to the salon...I woud've only lasted my normal 8-9 weeks.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I stretch at least 8 weeks. 10 is my max otherwise I get ridiculous matting and breakage

Firefly

I normally stretch 16 weeks (most I ever stretched was 17 weeks). Currently going for my 1st 24 week stretch.

joytimes10

I;m not new to stretching b/c I've always gone at leat 4 months bet. relaxers for diff. reasons, but mostly b/c I hate the relaxer process. Anyway, this is my 1st time stretching correctly. In the past, I've suffered lots of breakage and un healthy hair.
This time around I'm flirting w/ transitioning but reserving the option to relax if I get disgusted.
So I've learned to cowash mid week and moisture when my hair feels dry. I've learned not to comb my hair while it's dry excepted with lot of oil in it.
I've learned that I have to pre-poo with oil overnight then detangle next day before wetting my hair. This has really reduced the breakage and shedding. I just don't have enough patience to detangle from scratch in the shower.
I've learned not to try to detangle anymore after a wash, but let my hair get 80% dry in the ponytail (see siggy pic), then take it back down and add leave-in and sealing oil.
I've learned that a bun is all my hair will tolerate 3 or more months post relaxer. Low manipulation is key.
I've learned that my hair will not tolerate direct heat more than 1x/ month. Anything more leads to breakage.
I've learned that my hair needs equal amounts of moisture and protein to be strong enough to deal with the rigors of detangling NG.
When I finally relax, I hope to be BSL. HTH

Kiki82

I;m not new to stretching b/c I've always gone at leat 4 months bet. relaxers for diff. reasons, but mostly b/c I hate the relaxer process. Anyway, this is my 1st time stretching correctly. In the past, I've suffered lots of breakage and un healthy hair.
This time around I'm flirting w/ transitioning but reserving the option to relax if I get disgusted.
So I've learned to cowash mid week and moisture when my hair feels dry. I've learned not to comb my hair while it's dry excepted with lot of oil in it.
I've learned that I have to pre-poo with oil overnight then detangle next day before wetting my hair. This has really reduced the breakage and shedding. I just don't have enough patience to detangle from scratch in the shower.
I've learned not to try to detangle anymore after a wash, but let my hair get 80% dry in the ponytail (see siggy pic), then take it back down and add leave-in and sealing oil.
I've learned that a bun is all my hair will tolerate 3 or more months post relaxer. Low manipulation is key.
I've learned that my hair will not tolerate direct heat more than 1x/ month. Anything more leads to breakage.
I've learned that my hair needs equal amounts of moisture and protein to be strong enough to deal with the rigors of detangling NG.

This is good information! thanks!

preciousstone

thanks!!! i've been needing to hear this from someone...

bestblackgirl

wow Joytimes10.. that's awesome.. do you not comb your hair when it's dry even in your first couple weeks you just had a relaxer?

LiqueXX

I can go up to 12 weeks but that is work, I prefer 8-10 weeks between relaxers. The most I have gone is 16 weeks and for some reason that was easy (I actually had to look at a calander). This is all without braids or weaves.