How Long do you normally STRETCH your relaxers?

Dposh167

I know we all have that certain time limit we would LIKE to stretch our relaxers to.:perplexed BUT in all reality how many weeks do you ladies normally stretch before giving into a touch-up?

Right now I'm at 10 weeks post and would love to go more. but I'm desperately afraid of more breakage now that i'm doing well on my hair journey. Im really starting to get that touch-up itch now.:nono: but i really wanna stretch it to 15 (which is what i normally do)

Aveena

I started at 6 weeks(last year)...then 7 then 8 then 10. The last one was a 13 weeks? I had 4 touch ups this year. 14 weeks is my ultimate goal, which I should be able to do moving forward.

Last edited:

JensOG

I have stretched for 26weeks in the past but not without braids. But I have decided not to stretch for longer than 16weeks as my hair is too difficult to manage otherwise and it's hard to control shedding a breakage due to my 4z hair type.
Jen

Tamrin

unapologetic
My last was almost 12 weeks. But today Im at 23 weeks. Trying to go for the New year or late December

prospurr4

Now, I relax (texlax) every 8-9 weeks, which for my thick, 4Z hair, IS A STRETCH! I think successful stretches depend mostly on hair type and growth rate. I have gone as long as 14 weeks, but never again. The tangles and breakage are just not worth it to me.

back2relaxed

I have been going 8 weeks. But eventually would love to go at least 10 weeks. I am getting pretty good at taming my new growth. I will be getting braids at the beginning of December and plan to keep them until the new year. So I will probably be going at least 9 weeks once I take the braids out!

charmtreese

For the past year or so I've stretched anywhere from 15-31 weeks. Currently Im 14 weeks shooting for 19. Next year I plan to relax every 14-20 weeks.

caramelty

I am on week 21 now and last night I washed my hair and it acted A PLUM FOOL. I am sitting at work with the nappiest(sp?) ponytail in the world. I didn't put anything on it but conditioner and it was too much to comb thru I just took the bottle of MTG and just put it on my scalp and massaged it in. I took my twist down and trying to decide what to do next. My b-day is next week so I really don't want to wear twist. I AM JUST LOST RIGHT NOW. AND I HAD TO MOVE THE MIRROR OFF MY DESK B/C IT KEEPS LOOKING BACK AT ME SAYING "TACT HEAD"

Neala21

I am 10 weeks post and will be relaxing one day after 11 weeks post. I've got the touch up twitch and plus i got some ends that need clipping and i'd rather not prolong it too much.

My goal was 16 weeks which i am sure i could have gone to since i have before. Oh well.

rdm

I have gone as long as 14 weeks. However, I experienced a lot of breakage when I stretched this long. Now, after a lot of trial and error, I only go 8 weeks.

*Muffin*

I always stretch my relaxer for three months. I tried to stretch it to 6 months, but I decided against it. I see no point in waiting 6 months to stretch my relaxer because I know my hair is going to be extremely hard to deal with and I haven't the patience or expertise to deal with all of that NG at this time. So three months is all right for now. In the future I would like to see if I can stretch for longer.

shortt29

I just did a 13 week stretch...I may have been able to go longer but I was shedding and breaking and didn't want to risk being counter productive. Pluse I think I made my hairline worse!

OneInAMillion

At least 26 weeks...but I have very fine hair and slow growth. I don't think I'll ever texturize less than every 6 months again.

RosesBlack

Normally I'd go 9-10 weeks. This time I'm almost 4 months when I plan to relax in Dec. I'm not doing a lot of manipulation and doing a LOT of moisturizing.

Hopefully I will be able to routinely do about 12 weeks after this.

IntoMyhair

I am 18 weeks post now. I'll be almost 24 weeks post when I relax.
This stretch was harder on me since I did not do c&g braids like I had planned. Right now to finish out the stretch i but my hair in plaits with no extensions.
But in the future I'll only go 14 weeks.

HoneyDew

I don't. If I wore my hair up I could stretch for a long long time.

But I relax every 6 - 8 weeks. My hair does not really benefit from stretching too long.

I start getting little hairs broken off when I have too much NG. Since I wear my hair down just about everyday and I comb, stretching past 8 weeks just does not work. :nono:

The longest I've gone is 9 weeks. Now that I have been doing oil massages on my scalp, I really cannot go to much without panicking at the breakage.

noegirl05

Normally I get a relaxer every 18-26 weeks however I've been using some growth aides and I may need one soon and I had one about 12 weeks ago!