The Official 2007 Weave/Extension Challenge

HoneyDew

I am excited about doing this now.

Last night when I got home, I realized that I have 2 packs of Zury Ultra Yaki for braiding and 1 pack of Goddess Remi Yaki for weaving.

That will get me though for a few months so that all I have to spend $$ on is the stylist. After that I am going in invest in some EP hair.

Reniece is going to do my weave hopefully. She says she only needs one pack of hair so I'm set. :D

When I used Goddess Remy before, I really could have gotten away with the texture, but the color made it harder. Their 1b is kinda brownish and my hair is way darker. I have #1 now so I think I might try it again.

glamazon386

HoneyDew said:
I am excited about doing this now.

Last night when I got home, I realized that I have 2 packs of Zury Ultra Yaki for braiding and 1 pack of Goddess Remi Yaki for weaving.

That will get me though for a few months so that all I have to spend $$ on is the stylist. After that I am going in invest in some EP hair.

Reniece is going to do my weave hopefully. She says she only needs one pack of hair so I'm set. :D

When I used Goddess Remy before, I really could have gotten away with the texture, but the color made it harder. Their 1b is kinda brownish and my hair is way darker. I have #1 now so I think I might try it again.

Can you just dye the hair to match yours HoneyDew?

glamazon386

zora said:
Can anyone point me to a 'how to' link for weaves. I'm going to try to do it myself.

Check out the weave/extension forum over at blackhairmedia.com. There's tons of info there. Also I think weaveitup has a tutorial in her fotki. I'm not sure if she's still a member here though.

HoneyDew

bmoreflyygirl said:
Can you just dye the hair to match yours HoneyDew?

Well, Ihad the 1B for my 1st weave ever. I should have dyed it, but Ireally thought 1B woudl be a good match. Instead I just removed the weave after 4 weeks.

Now the pack I found in my stash last night should match fine. I am not even sure why I have this pack. I don't even remember buying it. :look: I really am a PJ, I guess.

glamazon386

HoneyDew said:
Well, Ihad the 1B for my 1st weave ever. I should have dyed it, but Ireally thought 1B woudl be a good match. Instead I just removed the weave after 4 weeks.

Now the pack I found in my stash last night should match fine. I am not even sure why I have this pack. I don't even remember buying it. :look: I really am a PJ, I guess.

Oh okay. :lol: I find things all over my house like that all the time. Do you have any pics of your braids you have in now? I'd like to see. :)

HoneyDew

bmoreflyygirl said:
Oh okay. :lol: I find things all over my house like that all the time. Do you have any pics of your braids you have in now? I'd like to see. :)

sure!

I don't wear them down because they are too thick for me. I wear it in a bun EVERYDAY. So easy! :D

Here is one pic, although it is not the best quality. I will try toget something up close when I get home. (i can just see someone walking in on me in the ladies bathroom at work wondering what the heck I'm doing!) :look:

HoneyDew

this one is bit closer (the other one, in the purple top was from yesterday. The one is the black top I just did a few min. ago. ):

glamazon386

Wow they look good! How long are they? They don't seem bulky. When I had Senegalese Twists in September they were kind of bulky. There was no way I could put them in a bun.

HoneyDew

bmoreflyygirl said:
Wow they look good! How long are they? They don't seem bulky. When I had Senegalese Twists in September they were kind of bulky. There was no way I could put them in a bun.

thanks!

They were WAY down my back, but I took scissors to them and cut them to about shoulder blade length. The braided part is not really bulky, but something about the density of the loose ends is a bit much for me. I think Sensationnal changed their hair a bit. I used to get the Premium Now Yaki all the time and love it. This batch was a bit too silky for me. It has gotten better after a few shampoos, which make me think they had some kind of coating on it.

It could be also that when I used to get braids before my hair was longer so the braided section went down the length more than they are now. I have more loose hair this time.

Over all I am happy with the braids. They are giving me and my hair a well needed rest! But, still I cannot see myself sitting every 5-6 weeks for them. :look:

msdeevee

bmoreflyygirl said:
Ohhh okay. Kind of like a wet n wavy? The Goddess Remy hair I had looks like that. Here's a picture:

I believe that was the 3rd time I used it. I pinned it up bc it was frizzy and I didn't have time to wash it before I went out.

Yeah u was being more flyy w/ that weave!! The bohemian is just a tad curlier , but this is kinda what I want. I'm not a natural hair militant but I was relaxed for so many years that I'm not really interested in a straight look any more even when I was relaxed I didn't go for the bone straight look .So I'm trying to find something curly but not afro kinky ...in a weave I think that texture would be uncontrollable if not done in twists or braids and I'm not interested in twists or braids right now, so I'm still investigating. I'm gonna check out that BHM. Thanx ur very helpful!

GrowmeNOW

i wanna join:yep: but it will cost me $60 everytime i need to get my weave redone:hammer:.and i dun got that kinda money:nono:.lol. how do ladies put in your own anywayz. if you dont mind me asking:look:

HoneyDew

GrowmeNOW said:
i wanna join:yep: but it will cost me $60 everytime i need to get my weave redone:hammer:.and i dun got that kinda money:nono:.lol. how do ladies put in your own anywayz. if you dont mind me asking:look:

$60 where!!??

I cannot seem to find anyone to do it around here for less than $100. And even the $100 jobs are not the best.

glamazon386

msdeevee said:
Yeah u was being more flyy w/ that weave!! The bohemian is just a tad curlier , but this is kinda what I want. I'm not a natural hair militant but I was relaxed for so many years that I'm not really interested in a straight look any more even when I was relaxed I didn't go for the bone straight look .So I'm trying to find something curly but not afro kinky ...in a weave I think that texture would be uncontrollable if not done in twists or braids and I'm not interested in twists or braids right now, so I'm still investigating. I'm gonna check out that BHM. Thanx ur very helpful!

Thanks!! Yeah I feel the same way. I'm sitting here with conditioner on my head now. I had to take that straight weave out. It was the first one I had in over a year. It was driving me crazy. I'm just not into the straight look anymore. It's okay for a couple days via a wig or something but I don't think I'll get a straight weave again. I'll be glad when it warms up again so I can go back to that curly hair.

HoneyDew, I only paid $55 for mines. But I went to her house. She's a college student and gives discounts. And she did a GREAT job. I had a full head straight weave with bangs. There was no track showing on the top. She also layered it with a razor and blended the colors for me. I usually paid $80 when I went to the African Braiders though and they did a good job as well. It laid very flat. Maybe you can check a braiding salon near you?

GrowMeNow, when I do my own, I just cornrow my hair straight back and sew the tracks across. I leave whatever hair I want out in the front out.

Last edited:

GrowmeNOW

Lisa's Hair Galleri in Jersey City, she charges me $60 because iam a student. her weaves usually come out pretty good though. its just that with all of the vitamins, mtg, and Lenzi's Request i need a perm every 6wkz :whyme: and i need my weave redone.lol. not that iam REALLY complaining becuz i love newgrowth. it just getz expensive.:dizzy:

jaded_faerie

GrowmeNOW said:
Lisa's Hair Galleri in Jersey City, she charges me $60 because iam a student. her weaves usually come out pretty good though. its just that with all of the vitamins, mtg, and Lenzi's Request i need a perm every 6wkz :whyme: and i need my weave redone.lol. not that iam REALLY complaining becuz i love newgrowth. it just getz expensive.:dizzy:

$60 wow!! I wish i could find someone over here to do a good job for that price!

glamazon386

jaded_faerie said:
$60 wow!! I wish i could find someone over here to do a good job for that price!

Jaded faerie, I know somebody in Hyattsville. Right near PG Plaza. She did my hair. You have to go to her house though. She charged me $55.

naijamerican

I would like to join :)

I won't be weaving it up, though. I will probably stick to braids. For a long time I have contemplated doing the Crown and Glory method. I just need to do it and I need some accountability for it, too.

Bmore - do you know of any good hair braiders in Baltimore?

Thanks - this will be a good challenge for me!

glamazon386

naijamerican said:
I would like to join :)

I won't be weaving it up, though. I will probably stick to braids. For a long time I have contemplated doing the Crown and Glory method. I just need to do it and I need some accountability for it, too.

Bmore - do you know of any good hair braiders in Baltimore?

Thanks - this will be a good challenge for me!

Welcome! Other than the African shops, no. I used to go to this one near my house for weaves but they braided kinda tight. Depended on which lady did it. But the last time I had braids (in september) the woman who did them didn't braid tight at all. I was real concerned about that because the last time I had braids nearly 4 years ago they tore all my hair out. And my hair is fine anyway, even as a natural now. She was at a shop called Braids by Lucette in Edmondson Village. It was a little raggedy hole in the wall place. But none of the braids hurt at all. Not even when she attached the hair. Not even when I went to pull them up on a pony when she was done. You know they're usually tight for a few days. It took her 6 hours to Senegalese Twist my whole head. My cousin got her hair braided at that shop and she said the same thing about them not braiding tight, so that's why I went there. I'm thinking about going back in a few weeks after I get this trim. I just gotta get over spending $200. The last set of braids my daddy paid for. :lol:

glamazon386

LondonDiva said:
What the maximum recommended time to leave a weave in?

The longest is 12 weeks. But I think most people only leave them in 6-8 weeks. People usually relax around that time so they take it down and get it done over. Some people say it's to prevent matting. I usually get tired of the style and take it out around 5 or 6 weeks. It still looks good, I just like to change my look often. I've left mines in for 12 weeks before though with no problems.

Soul♥Flower

I'm getting in on this challenge too! I never had a weave before.
(well I did try to do one myself once, but I ran out of hair :look:).

asummertyme

whatsgoin on ladies? i just took out braids i had in for 2 1/2 months..about to rock a full head of strait hair...what u giys up too..bmore im feelin that new style..

asummertyme

LondonDiva said:
What the maximum recommended time to leave a weave in?

yeah, i think 6-8 weeks are good enuff...i have left mines in for as long as 12 i think...that a bit long for me tho...

HoneyDew

asummertyme said:
whatsgoin on ladies? i just took out braids i had in for 2 1/2 months..about to rock a full head of strait hair...what u giys up too..bmore im feelin that new style..

I have had braids in for 2 1/2 weeks and I am sick of them already. I wanted to get my weave by Reniece, but I am on her waiting list. (www.Reniece.com)

I really want to get a weave in in the next few weeks. I want to get something close to my own length with a cute cut and style but I need to find someone good to do it.

I think weaves will be more affordable for me because I seem to be able to make them last longer than braids.

asummertyme

HoneyDew said:
I have had braids in for 2 1/2 weeks and I am sick of them already. I wanted to get my weave by Reniece, but I am on her waiting list. (www.Reniece.com)

I really want to get a weave in in the next few weeks. I want to get something close to my own length with a cute cut and style but I need to find someone good to do it.

I think weaves will be more affordable for me because I seem to be able to make them last longer than braids.

i feel ya about the braids..i was like that, but i hate taking those thing out so, that was my motivation to keep them in...lol...i was sick of them within 2 weeks, but i managed to keep the in for 2 1/2 months..

nikkivale

Count me in. I'm going to be doing braids for the whole year with. of course, 2 month breaks in between.
I love a good sew in but i'm transitioning and my natural hair can't take all of that heat with the styles I like to do, my hair is so resistant to pressing, so i think braids are best for me. I'll be doing my own hair tommorow and probably the day after (i hate braiding hair:mad: )
i'll be trimming 2x's this year august & december for split ends, other than that I'm committing myself to braids 3months at a time w/2month breaks inbetween.