The Official 2007 Weave/Extension Challenge

asummertyme said:
whatsgoin on ladies? i just took out braids i had in for 2 1/2 months..about to rock a full head of strait hair...what u giys up too..bmore im feelin that new style..

Hey Asummertyme! Thanks! How you been? I just took that hair out like two days ago :lol: I had been wearing it totally straight with the bangs going straight across for the last week. That straight hair drove me crazy. I guess I'm just not used to seeing myself with straight hair anymore.

Honeydew, I feel you on the weave thing. I can always make weaves last longer than braids.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Hey Asummertyme! Thanks! How you been? I just took that hair out like two days ago :lol: I had been wearing it totally straight with the bangs going straight across for the last week. That straight hair drove me crazy. I guess I'm just not used to seeing myself with straight hair anymore.

Honeydew, I feel you on the weave thing. I can always make weaves last longer than braids.

hey bmore.., i have been pretty good..tryin to do something with this head of mines..lol..next week ima do a full head..did u do the last one urself?
hey wait a sec, when does the 2007 challenge end? i just noticed we are in the newyear already...lol

I'm in!!!

I got tired of the shedding I've been experiencing lately so I did a sew in around Christmas. Since I do them myself I will be keeping them in for 4-5 weeks then take out, wash, deep condition and leave out for a few days. Then put back in. I will be doing this until June 2007. I think I experienced the most growth with this method a few years back.

asummertyme said:
hey bmore.., i have been pretty good..tryin to do something with this head of mines..lol..next week ima do a full head..did u do the last one urself?
hey wait a sec, when does the 2007 challenge end? i just noticed we are in the newyear already...lol

No this girl did it for me. I went to her house. I made an attempt before but it just didn't work out with the straight hair. :lol: She's the only person I know that knows how to do it. She did a really good job though. She blended the colors good (there was 1b on the bottom 8 inches, then 12 inches #30, and then the rest of the 1b 8 inches on top) and she layered it with a razor.

This is what it looked like straight:

bitmap46983-vi.jpg

This is what it looked like feather wrapped:

bitmap46991-vi.jpg

Last edited:
ooh, she did a damn good job!! i like my hair layered too..man i wish i knoew someone that could skill a full head like that...i get tired of doing my own hair all the time..takes so much time..

asummertyme said:
ooh, she did a damn good job!! i like my hair layered too..man i wish i knoew someone that could skill a full head like that...i get tired of doing my own hair all the time..takes so much time..

Thanks! Yeah, I'll definitely be going back to her again. Now that I work full time I can afford to get it weaved every month or so. I don't think I'm gonna do it myself again :lol:

jaded_faerie said:
lovely!! How do you do a feather wrap??

Thanks! It has to be layered for it to fall right. She cut it with a razor just around my face in the front. The hair was 2 different lengths too so I'm sure that helped. You just have to curl it away from your face. But you have to kind of hold the curling iron upside down. I use those clips (you know the ones you use with the magnetic rollers?) and clip it so it lays down on the side of my head until I'm done curling all of it. I spray a little spritz and it stays down like that. I pincurl it at night so it'll stay curled. Feather wraps (or dry wraps) were "THE STYLE" in Baltimore a few years ago. I used to wear my hair like that when it was relaxed. They usually look better on shorter hair. Most people would get a part in the middle and get the rest of it all feathered back away from the face. And the curled layers would lay flat against your hair instead of sitting up like flips do.

Last edited:
Oh Bmore, your straight weave lookeded real nice!! I liked the feather wrap! I can't wait to take mine out! I can't believe I've had it for almost 12 weeks now! I better take it out before I get in trouble! THese things are addictive though, makes hair styling a lot easier. I need a breather, I ordered some hair from laceflair.com and when I take out this install I'll be rocking that ponytail for my protective style.

Alli77 said:
Oh Bmore, your straight weave lookeded real nice!! I liked the feather wrap! I can't wait to take mine out! I can't believe I've had it for almost 12 weeks now! I better take it out before I get in trouble! THese things are addictive though, makes hair styling a lot easier. I need a breather, I ordered some hair from laceflair.com and when I take out this install I'll be rocking that ponytail for my protective style.

Thanks! I got so many compliments on it. I loved the color too. :) I agree with you about them being addictive though. I got my best friend hooked in february and I haven't seen her hair since. :lol: She said it's grown a lot though. Her hair has been chin length for as long as I can remember. We've known each other our whole lives. I love not having to comb to my hair everyday. I might get the same colors again this week when I get my curly hair put back in.

Last edited:
I'm in too (if it is not too late to join)

Right now I am sportin' a phony pony. Will be doing a sew-in within the next couple of weeks.

Okay ladies, I have an appointment today after work for a "consultation" here: http://www.imanihairbraiding.com/Services.nxg at a place not too far from me. We'll see how it goes. I hope I get a good vibe from them.

I wanted Reniece to do my weave, but I am still on her waiting list. :ohwell:

I really need to get this sew-in soon because I am going to remove my braids this weekend.

RabiaElaine said:
cutebajangirl said:
Im in. I fell off of the 2006 Weave Challenge but I'm gonna stick to this one. I plan to try something different this time around. I plan to wear each style for 3 months at a time. I think this will cut down on the breakage I get when I take them out every 6 weeks to wash for another weave. I will also relax every three months when I change the weave. The first style will be braids with Adorables body wave hair (since that is what I already have in now, lol).

Carla and Alli do you have any pics of your EP RT?[/quote]

I have pics.

This is the hair after being washed and airdried. It has a good amount of texture to it so it matches our relaxed hair well.

After lightly flatironing (note I was about 15 weeks post in these pics)

After curling

That hair is 14 inches in length in those pics, now I wear a mix of 14 and 16 that I trimmed a little so that it would be more even.

Also note that the hair can be flatironed more so that it is pretty much bone straight relaxed hair. You won't be disappointed with this hair IMO.
Thats a weave?? Wow it looks great very natural. Before I actually read your post I was about to call you my hair twin. I think i may have to run out and get that myself

I just ordered it myself after seeing RElaine's pictures. Add me to the list. Mine should be here by Friday and I plan to wear it with the hair clips so I can easily take them off and put back on. Boy!! it was expensive though:ohwell:

Hey definitely count me in. I plan to keep my weaves in at 2 to 3 months at a time. I will condition wash once a week and shampoo and deep condition at the end of each month. I will lightly oil my scalp with coconut oil and/or WGO every 2 or 3 days. I will be doing this for the entire year. There will only be week long breaks between each installation. During my breaks I will be baggying my ends.

Also I am in the midst of transitioning. I have 2 months under my belt. About 4 months ago I went 5 1/2 months without relaxing. Well now Im in it for the long hall and i want more of a natural texture. I just bought some cheap french refine weave that doesn't tangle but you cant straighten it. If you straighten it, it wont revert back to curls/waves. Yesterday I curly permed a section of it and now it will but it takes so much time and work. Plus the hair still has such a silky texture. Im lazy and I was wondering how does the hisandher.com hair work. HoneyDew you said you used some before. Are the wefts doubled so that I can spit them? If I can split them then I'll just buy one pack of euro wave 50%mink. Im kinda broke at the moment

ChiChiKinks said:
I just ordered it myself after seeing RElaine's pictures. Add me to the list. Mine should be here by Friday and I plan to wear it with the hair clips so I can easily take them off and put back on. Boy!! it was expensive though:ohwell:

You won't be disappointed. THis hair Lasts...and lasts.

I bought my hair today and will attempt my first sew in weave (self weave) tomorrow. I will leave it in for 6 weeks tops.

Will do this until summer i think, depending how well i can do it.

:cool:

I'm in!

I was hesitant to join because of this itchy/shedding weave I have now, but it's all good now. I'm not sure how long I will do it, but since I'm hiding my hair til April, I'll use that as my ending point for now.

Bmore - thank you so much for the BRX braid spray recommendation. That stuff works!!! :notworthy

msbrown76 said:
I'm in!

I was hesitant to join because of this itchy/shedding weave I have now, but it's all good now. I'm not sure how long I will do it, but since I'm hiding my hair til April, I'll use that as my ending point for now.

Bmore - thank you so much for the BRX braid spray recommendation. That stuff works!!! :notworthy

I'm glad it helped. :)

Sweetg said:
I bought my hair today and will attempt my first sew in weave (self weave) tomorrow. I will leave it in for 6 weeks tops.

Will do this until summer i think, depending how well i can do it.

:cool:

What brand did you get?

Lasies, I took my braids out last night and I will love the next few days I have w/o braids. It felt good last night to sleep on my own hair w/o braids. :D I am getting my sew-in on Wednesday.

Count me in, ladies! I'm keeping these babies in until June, possibly longer.

Anyone else get the interesting comments from white people when we flip the script and put in braids or weaves? I can't wait for the amusing commentary tomorrow morning at work.;) Especially from white men who make it obvious that they've been observing and admiring your hair (in my case, shoulder length hair) without your knowledge.

I am sooo down with this challenge! I just got my weave done one week ago. I am currently using Gio & Sons Italian hair texturized to 30%. I don't have a current picture of my real hair but I plan on getting my weave done every six to eight weeks and will talke an update picture then. I wash my hair every week, moisturized between the braids (with my own concoction) and take MSM every day.
When I take the weave down, I henna and deep condition. I relaxed about two weeks ago and will not relaxed for at least 4 months - will try to go more depending...

I want to do this challenge. The only thing I have been doing is wearing half wigs I braid my hair underneath it and wash every three days, next three days I CO wash and repeat. I have great thickness from this. I want a full head of weave but I don't know anyone in Fayetteville, NC that can do it good. If anyone is from this area and know someone please let me know. Thank you in advance.

I've had my braids out for about 2 weeks and I just put my first sew-in weave in myself. It isn't perfect but it lays flat and looks nice. I used wet and wavy texture and plan to wear the hair in a wavy/curly state. I bought some $20 bss hair but I really like it because I used it for clip ins and it matches my wash and go texture perfectly. I had a little problem with the braids underneath because I didn't have a mirror and couldn't seem to get the ends of the braids to act right. I sewed the ends down but since my hair is longer it looked a little bulky. I fixed it but now I can't wear it in a ponytail because the braids can be seem if I lift the hair up. I'm confident that I will get it right and hopefully I can get good growth. I'm aiming for 1.5" in 4 weeks. I will re-do them every 4 weeks instead of every 8.

okay count me in...ill give anotha try i didnt do good for 2006 challenge..im getting my weave supposedly done tomorrow...i cant wait....so i just have to go by and pick the hair..im transitioning and need something to make my transition easy and something natural looking..im also in the challenge to hide my hair until i think its June or July or something....ive been doing the wig thing since the end of October...so im now ready for something different....

I'm taking out my weave in a couple of weeks. Actually I'm waiting on my phony pony from laceflair.com. As soon as I get that I'll be rocking it as my protective style for several weeks then I think I'll be doing braids.

mahogany814 said:
I am sooo down with this challenge! I just got my weave done one week ago. I am currently using Gio & Sons Italian hair texturized to 30%. I don't have a current picture of my real hair but I plan on getting my weave done every six to eight weeks and will talke an update picture then. I wash my hair every week, moisturized between the braids (with my own concoction) and take MSM every day.
When I take the weave down, I henna and deep condition. I relaxed about two weeks ago and will not relaxed for at least 4 months - will try to go more depending...

mahogany, how do you like this hair??? I hear it's really good. Do you like how it matches your hair texture, I was interested but it's even more expensive than the Extensions Plus hair:eek:.

I took out my sew-in today...right now i am sporting a half wig....will do this till the 30th and add another sew in.

Back