Stuck at SL support thread

FeelinIt

Simplicity is what will get your hair going.

For me, moisture and leaving my hair alone is key. I plan on doing a major cut to get rid of split ends and then keeping my real hair cornrowed throughout the summer months. While in cornrows I plan to mist my hair daily with a water/glycerin mix and use some sort of growth aid on my scalp like BT or MTG to get the growth going.

I also realize that my diet sucks so that will get a major overhaul as well.

I've been stuck at SL since 97. My hair has failed to go beyond or shorter. Slow growth, major abuse and split ends have stopped my hair from going beyond SL. I'll post month, by month progress and regimens.

Sounique

Just had to cut thin ends. Back at shoulder length.:nono: Atleast it's even all around this time. Fewer layers and the front is shoulder length also, instead of just the back. I guess you can consider that progress.:perplexed

Set me back about 3 months.

greenwings23

Hi everyone,
the best hair serum is Hair Genlsis it is a topical activator apply to scalp for hair problems such as thinning, baldness, etc....u apply to the scalp but section off ur hair and massage it for 2 minutes or so......I did a major cut in crown area 2 & 1/2" it should take be 4 and 1/2 months to grow it back....the sides r at chin level and the back and nape area is creeping onto my shoulders.....I hope to be full SL by sept or oct 2008...I purchase also Clahdie's revitalizer gro elixir.....jamaicanlady/fotki.com check out her website....

Attachments

• March 8 new relaxer 12wks posts.jpg
    March 8 new relaxer 12wks posts.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 154

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
I've been stuck at shoulder length for the last 3+ years and it's been hella frustrating :wallbash: Getting past SL has been sooo hard, and now I'm 2 or 3 inches away from my longest layers being APL

Yet and still, I had to cut off close to an inch of dry, broken ends last month :nono: which is equivalent to two+ months of growth gone.

My biggest problems are dryness and breakage, so now that I'm really close to reaching APL I'm going to start investing more time and $$ into my hair so I can reach my APL goal by Sept or Oct :yep:

locabouthair

I've been stuck at shoulder length for the last 3+ years and it's been hella frustrating :wallbash: Getting past SL has been sooo hard, and now I'm 2 or 3 inches away from my longest layers being APL

Yet and still, I had to cut off close to an inch of dry, broken ends last month :nono: which is equivalent to two+ months of growth gone.

My biggest problems are dryness and breakage, so now that I'm really close to reaching APL I'm going to start investing more time and $$ into my hair so I can reach my APL goal by Sept or Oct :yep:

I love the thickness of your hair:yep::yep:

vestaluv1

I am just dying a " nevergonnareach APL" death
:lachen:
I know what you're saying but WE WILL get there :yep:
I have ALWAYZ been shoulder length. To be honest, I have only started trying to do something about as of 5/6 weeks ago coz' I was one of those women who just thought that my hair just wouldn't grow, darn it.
So, it's a little early for me to see any length, but i can sorta understand the frustration. We all just have to be patient. When you do get to APL you might eve wonder what all the fussing and worrying was about.

Crystal22

Well its me again. the one who made this thread almost a year ago and guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM STILL STUCK:wallbash::wallbash:

I guess what frustrates me the most is that i see women who come in after i joined, and they hit APL beofre i do. Now i am most there but it took me about 18 months to go from NL to APL....

I just dont understand. I try to protective style, but i bun for a week and then my edge start to act up. I wear it down, then poof split ends land. I have tried to be more consistent with my routine, but when it comes to getting the same smooth shiny results that everyone else gets, it just doesnt happen for me..

I tried to do a straw set, I looked like a poodle. Roller set, puffy roots and limp curls, silk wraps haha... . I just dont know. I am beginning to lose faith in the site because well, nothing has worked.But then i see all the curlformers reviews and wonder if that will work, but i still get the massive tinge that says, Not gonna work.

To say that i am frustrated is beyond the word for it.

When you do protective styles are you pulling your hair too taut?? The key is keeping it loose. Do loose buns and updos, or wear it in a loose clip that way your edges aren't screaming for help!! Wet your ends daily with water and moisturizer and follow with oil. At this point if I were you I might even try to wig it for awhile. I'm sorry you have been having that much trouble. Low manipulation sounds like a better route for you. Try not to "style" as much. For instance if I were to rollerset everytime I washed my hair, it would probably not be a good situation over time for *me* because I'm somewhat fine-stranded. And if you are still doing braidouts, stop because that sounds like a lot of manipulation. I always thought twists and braids etc. work better for natural heads, relaxed strands are just not as strong as natural ones.

Miss*Tress

As I read this thread, I'm feeling frustrated for you ladies too. I know you feel the need to vent, but you also have to say what you are and aren't doing to your hair, so the rest of us can make recommendations specific to your situation.

In any case, here is general advice already in the thread that some of you may have missed and it might help you over the shoulder length hump.
  1. Wear protective styles, however stay away from ponytails and buns. Protective styles keep your ends from rubbing on clothing and breaking off. Shoulder length hair is not long enough to comfortably wear hair in a bun or ponytail because it places stress on your hairline and crown as some of you are experiencing. See the protective style with a baggy and peacock twist posts for styling suggestions.[*]Reduce direct heat to avoid damaging your hair and causing split ends. If you use heat once a week, try heat styling once every two weeks instead. Once a month? Then cut back to once every 6 weeks or two months.[*]Learn how to roller set (this is a corollary of step two) as it can help you to style your hair without recourse to direct heat. SL and shorter are manageable lengths, so it will be easier to master the technique now, rather than wait until it's BSL and your arms can't reach that far. Combined with the saran wrap technique demonstrated by Pokahontas and Macherieamour, you'll get results just like blow-drying and flat-ironing.[*]Don't brush your hair as brushing can pull hair out and cause thinning and split ends. Only use a medium- or wide-tooth comb for detangling. Fine-tooth combs are acceptable for smoothing sections of hair when roller setting. A soft boar bristle brush can be used to lightly and gently smooth the hairline.[*]Protect your hair with a silk or satin bonnet or scarf at night.
  2. Moisturize ends at least once daily. Your ends are your length, and preventing split ends is the most important part of the next step.[*]Reduce trimming to once every 4-6 months and trim no more than 1/4"-1/2" at each trim so that you're not cutting off your progress. I mean it: stay away from the scissors. Of course, now that you're doing everything possible to safeguard your ends, you won't need to trim.
In addition to the basic steps above, you may have other practices that you need to review and adjust.

Many of you mention dryness and brittleness, so ask yourselves if your hair is overprocessed. Are you protecting previously relaxed hair befor the touchup? Are you or the person who relaxes your hair careful not to overlap? Lack of protein may be a contributing factor, so try a light protein treatment every week or two or a heavy treatment every 6-8 weeks. This can help your hair retain moisture.

Don't worry too much about other women who grow their hair past SL effortlessly. They may not have the same hair type or texture as you and therefore face fewer challenges than the rest of us. This means that you have to be more careful with your hair.

Good luck!

Mimi22

As I read this thread, I'm feeling frustrated for you ladies too. I know you feel the need to vent, but you also have to say what you are and aren't doing to your hair, so the rest of us can make recommendations specific to your situation.

In any case, here is general advice already in the thread that some of you may have missed and it might help you over the shoulder length hump.
  1. Wear protective styles, however stay away from ponytails and buns. Protective styles keep your ends from rubbing on clothing and breaking off. Shoulder length hair is not long enough to comfortably wear hair in a bun or ponytail because it places stress on your hairline and crown as some of you are experiencing. See the protective style with a baggy and peacock twist posts for styling suggestions.[*]Reduce direct heat to avoid damaging your hair and causing split ends. If you use heat once a week, try heat styling once every two weeks instead. Once a month? Then cut back to once every 6 weeks or two months.[*]Learn how to roller set (this is a corollary of step two) as it can help you to style your hair without recourse to direct heat. SL and shorter are manageable lengths, so it will be easier to master the technique now, rather than wait until it's BSL and your arms can't reach that far. Combined with the saran wrap technique demonstrated by Pokahontas and Macherieamour, you'll get results just like blow-drying and flat-ironing.[*]Don't brush your hair as brushing can pull hair out and cause thinning and split ends. Only use a medium- or wide-tooth comb for detangling. Fine-tooth combs are acceptable for smoothing sections of hair when roller setting. A soft boar bristle brush can be used to lightly and gently smooth the hairline.[*]Protect your hair with a silk or satin bonnet or scarf at night.
  2. Moisturize ends at least once daily. Your ends are your length, and preventing split ends is the most important part of the next step.[*]Reduce trimming to once every 4-6 months and trim no more than 1/4"-1/2" at each trim so that you're not cutting off your progress. I mean it: stay away from the scissors. Of course, now that you're doing everything possible to safeguard your ends, you won't need to trim.
In addition to the basic steps above, you may have other practices that you need to review and adjust.

Many of you mention dryness and brittleness, so ask yourselves if your hair is overprocessed. Are you protecting previously relaxed hair befor the touchup? Are you or the person who relaxes your hair careful not to overlap? Lack of protein may be a contributing factor, so try a light protein treatment every week or two or a heavy treatment every 6-8 weeks. This can help your hair retain moisture.

Don't worry too much about other women who grow their hair past SL effortlessly. They may not have the same hair type or texture as you and therefore face fewer challenges than the rest of us. This means that you have to be more careful with your hair.

Good luck!

I've quit the use of ponytails and buns and have been co-washing alot lately. Is using a denman D4 ok for detangling? I like it for removing shed hair, but i'm still wary of it.

Miss*Tress

I've quit the use of ponytails and buns and have been co-washing alot lately. Is using a denman D4 ok for detangling? I like it for removing shed hair, but i'm still wary of it.
I think many members use the Denman for detangling wet hair (like this lady, but note that she detangles just once a week) while others like myself don't brush at all. I saw a vast improvement in retention when I stopped brushing, but I used to brush every day. Brushing just once a week might have made a big enough difference.

Mimi22

I think many members use the Denman for detangling wet hair (like this lady, but note that she detangles just once a week) while others like myself don't brush at all. I saw a vast improvement in retention when I stopped brushing, but I used to brush every day. Brushing just once a week might have made a big enough difference.

Thanx Miss*Tress

I've been trying to stick to a balanced reggie and not stress my hair too much.

Hope to get to APL soon. :yep:

miami74

Good luck!

Excellent advice! Thanks so much!

supermodelsonya

Girl, don't do it!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness though, my hair has almost reached full shoulder length and I am worried it will stop growing because that is the longest it has ever been. I plan on hiding my hair in a bun/twist until it reaches APL. Have you tried protective styling? How long have you been "stuck?"

Gee I feel the exact same way.

SpiritJunkie

How did i miss this post last year? Any way the BEST ADVICE!!!!

thank you thank you thank you

1. Wear protective styles, however stay away from ponytails and buns. Protective styles keep your ends from rubbing on clothing and breaking off. Shoulder length hair is not long enough to comfortably wear hair in a bun or ponytail because it places stress on your hairline and crown as some of you are experiencing. See the protective style with a baggy and peacock twist posts for styling suggestions.
    [*]Reduce direct heat
    to avoid damaging your hair and causing split ends. If you use heat once a week, try heat styling once every two weeks instead. Once a month? Then cut back to once every 6 weeks or two months.
    [*]Learn how to roller set
    (this is a corollary of step two) as it can help you to style your hair without recourse to direct heat. SL and shorter are manageable lengths, so it will be easier to master the technique now, rather than wait until it's BSL and your arms can't reach that far. Combined with the saran wrap technique demonstrated by Pokahontas and Macherieamour, you'll get results just like blow-drying and flat-ironing.
    [*]Don't brush your hair
    as brushing can pull hair out and cause thinning and split ends. Only use a medium- or wide-tooth comb for detangling. Fine-tooth combs are acceptable for smoothing sections of hair when roller setting. A soft boar bristle brush can be used to lightly and gently smooth the hairline.
    [*]Protect your hair with a silk or satin bonnet or scarf at night.
  2. Moisturize ends at least once daily. Your ends are your length, and preventing split ends is the most important part of the next step.
    [*]Reduce trimming to once every 4-6 months and trim no more than 1/4"-1/2" at each trim
    so that you're not cutting off your progress. I mean it: stay away from the scissors. Of course, now that you're doing everything possible to safeguard your ends, you won't need to trim.

Good luck!

mika vs sasha

top reasons im stuck at sl...
my fine hair doesnt like relaxers, my middle or crown would suffer from breakage and hair was starting to become very thin and overprocessed. So to fix the problem- i'm transitioning to natural.

I was in the habit of washing my hair at night, airring drying in braids, and then combing my hair into a ponytail the next day. I now rollerset weekly, and reduce my ponytails. My goal is to not wear a ponytail daily, it doesn't really help since my middle is already weak and thin.

I was unaware of the protien/moisture balance with my conditioners. I thought my stylist was taking care of this issue. But I really think there was no rhyme or reason behind the conditioners used at the salon. I'm aware of the protein/moisture needs and deep condition weekly with heat.

I slacked on using a bonnet or scarf at night. I thought my satin pillow case was an easier choice.. not the case.

Here are few reason why I think I've been at this length for over 2 years.

kooskoos

I've been at this better hair care thing since the end of 11/08, and I'm still SL! But I think patience, coupled with the tips from Miss Tress will definitely get me to APL by 12/09. If I don't get there by then, then I'll definitely be ready to throw in the towel...

greenwings23

Hi, everyone
I finally made SL and I am focusing on APL maybe by Dec...09...I kept my routine simple with 2x weekly washes, limited heat applicance...wear protective styles, and moisturize, moisturize some more....I just finished my longest stretch ever 6 months and it was very challenging...L ove my staples Ayurvedic products such as the amla oii, shikakai oil, then there is my brahmi podwer...along with the dominican products such as the silicon mix, miel y leche hair rinse...My hair has come a long way...Just remember to have patience and trim only when necessary

Attachments

• comic-p.jpg
    comic-p.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0264.jpg
    DSCN0264.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 37