Shorthaircareforum discussion board - Post #1

bluediamond0829

Yeah just to mention my stylist when i first went to her she also did this with the relaxing...she gave me my relaxer on March 1st...and then i went back to her in two weeks and she was relaxing another girls hair..after she finished up with the girl she applied the relaxer tht was left over to my sides and the nape area....i wondered why she did this...but now see what the reason what but since then that has been the last time that i noticed that she did this...

hopeful

FeelinIt said:
Ohh you are going to have some thick pretty hair. Keep it up ma!

LOL, I know that's right. TeeKay21's hair is very pretty.

@ Shine-on, thanks for posting the pics, cute ideas.

@ FeelinIt and Cooyah, after reading your posts I feel like we have so much in common. LOL I am not alone. Thanks for sharing so honestly.

Blaque*Angel

PrincessDiva said:
..Short hair always seemed to make my head & face look BIG....lol..Thank goodness I have never have much problem growing long hair..I`d look like ET if I had short hair

what great inspiration! :look:

Imani

Thanks for this thread and representing for us short-haired ladies :bouncegre !
Growing out short hair is EXTREMELY frustrating, especially growing layers. I have been gradually taking more off the bottom and less at the top. It is just frustrating, because although the layers are longer, the overall length is basically the same:(

As far as styles, I am the roller/ doobie set queen! I rarely ever blow dry or use the curling/flat iron. I try to only finger comb daily or use an extra wide tooth comb. The key for me with short hair is making sure to have REALLY good tension on the rollers and making sure each section is REALLY smooth so ur hair doesnt get puffy. and using the right size is important. I can do this better with wire rollers and pins at home and this is also the method my beautician uses-i LOVE his roller sets. he uses keracare products to shampoo/condition and redken anti-frizz milk and joico leave in. I have also relied on doing curly pinups since my hair wasn't long enough for a ponytail. i never have a problem with my hair puffing up in the humidity and i live in florida. Most people tell me my hair looks cute and healthy at this length. But i think i won't be completely happy til its at SL.

Instead of jumping in and doing extreme relaxer stretches, since joining this board, its been gradual, i started at 6 wks, then went to 7, then 8, currently at 9, debating on waiting til wk 10, but i'm feening for a relaxer :lachen: . HHG

Shine-On

Imani,
Your hair is PHENOMINAL!!!!! :love: It looks so so healthy. I am using you as my realistic inspiration.

Imani

thank u shine-on!!! :D I'm a recovering heat addict! i used to curl and hairspray my hair every single day, sometimes twice a day:eek: . Now i just calmly tell myself, "okay, step away from the curling iron, now!" :lachen:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am always cutting my hair short. My problem is that I only know how to handle relaxed hair and not natural.:lol: My relaxed hair grew fast and I just set and wrapped it.Very easy.

TeeKay21

JazzyDez said:
Have you considered only relaxing the kitchen area and not the rest of your head between relaxer stretching?

I have done this in the past. I was experimenting with not doing it this time around to see if I could figure out a way to flatten it. It didn't work. I relaxed it all today :ohwell:. Next time I'm gonna stretch it for a week longer and go ahead and do the area relaxing like you suggested.

And thanx FeelinIt and hopeful for the complements!:D

Shine-On

TeeKay21, our hair is about the same length (willl post a pic shortly). Love your style. Can you describe how you did the salon look in your siggy?

TeeKay21

HeeHee. That is funny you would ask ME how to do it when I learned it from the tutorial in Lexi84's fotki! I did all the same stuff she does but I used different products (except for the keracare humecto). Check out her fotki. It gives step by step instructions in the "Salon Fresh Look" album.

Good Luck girl! I hope it works as well for you because I was overjoyed at my results, especially since I was 6 weeks post at the time.:eek: :)

HadiyaMaha

GGGREAT Topic!:) I have short 4a/4b hair, and trying to stay away from heat is hard! I may have to give rollersets a try, but I'm scared I will look like I'm wearing a helmet :( . Is there a wrong way or right way to do rollerset? Imani your hair looks so healthy.:)

Belle Du Jour

Glad I found this thread.

I plan on going short soon. I was gonna go super short and spiky, but I want to have some length and movement so I'm not locked into curling my hair daily. (maybe just set the top part on rollers for volume). I havent decided if I'm gonna shave the back yet, but if I do, I will be going to the barber to keep it shaved until the top can grow over it. I used to touch up that area frequently and now I have a spot back there that won't grow back. Once the top it long enough to cover it, it won't matter if it isn't bone straight and flat.

I also like Teekay's cut. I may get something very similar. :)

HoneyDew

So some of us are planning on staying short or cutting, it seems.

I am still trying to grow mine out so I have not given up just yet. :)

hopeful

TeeKay21 said:
I am with you HoneyDew! I am GOING to get to waistlength sometime in this lifetime!:D

LOL me too! Well, in all my life I have never dreamed of waistlength, but I think I can make it to somewhere between SL and APL sometime in my lifetime:grin:!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Summer has been easy for my super short hair. I mostly work in the house, so just co washing and tying my hair up while in the house. I did do a braidout and a twistout. They didn't go too good. But I'm not discouraged.

TeeKay21

My summer styling has been GREAT since I got my steam rollers!! It has all but eliminated direct heat for me. The only part that I flat iron is that tapered part in the back b/c it's too short for rollers of any size right now. But I only flat iron that part once a week. The rest of my head is loving this regimine.

I also started using bigen and Phyto and I don't think my hair has EVER looked this great, longer or shorter!

plove

In Nov I did the BC and I had like 1inch of hair.

I been doing the C&G from that point on.
But for LHCF I join the C&G challenge in Jan 06 the challenge will end in 2008. (I hopeImake it:confused: )

I think that I'm taking the easy road with my micro box braids.
My hair loves them. I'm trying to leave my box braids in from April till Nov ( I might leave them in for a whole year but let just get through the next 3 months).

when do you get to long hair?
At SL or APL?
so I know when I will be Kick out this board;)

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Teekay, thank you for showing your air dried styles in your album! I think I will be able to do some of these styles, no problem!:D I'm still not relaxed strait, thanks to my relaxer resistant hair, but I can imitate some styles u have! I'm glad I'm a member of SHCF and LHCF!:lol:

Cayenne0622

I have truly found a home. My hair is about an inch 1/2 longer than what's on pic right now. I am glad to know I have my short-haired crew going through this grow out so we can hang out with the long-haired crew one day. :lachen:

We can do it, ladies!!! Be strong. I can't wear my hair down right now because I will be FORCED to trim it. It does its best when it is trimmed even and flat-ironed. I haven't used direct heat for about a month and I've been airdrying and pulling it back into a phony pony or bun. I think I'm getting paranoid about eventually wearing my hair down. I'm scared. I plan to keep it out of sight until the end of September. Geez! This shouldn't be so hard. You would think our hair would love us for the extra work but sometimes it seems more like its a defiant child. lol

princcessnadia

I love your haircut!!! my hair is thin now from years of extentions and weaves but is chin length I am hoping to have enoug hair thickness by the end of the year to sport a "do" like yours!;)

Cayenne0622 said:
Whoops. NO pic attached hmmmm...

Should be there this time.:look:

Cute cut, my hair is cut exactly like yours and it's about an inch longer..........I'm so glad someone decided to start a SHCF. My hair has been shoulder length, I just get happy with the scissors every summer, but this summer, I didn't cut it.....yah me. Last summer my hair was very short and spiked at the top and I really loved it, but decided this summer to let it grow out.

As far as the braid outs, twists, etc, I really can't wear those styles because of the type of job I have. So I usually wear rollersets/wraps. I haven't gotten the concept of the rod sets yet, the rods don't stay tightly wrapped around my hair, they always hang loose, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.......anyway........I have alos tried to stretch my relaxers, I'm on week 6 and my hair is shedding like crazy, so it's time for me to get a relaxer soon, my newgrowth is so dry, wavy and brittle, I moisturized my scalp lastnight and wrapped my hair, woke up this morning and brushed my hair and felt my newgrowth, I was like:eek: . This is the first time I have stretched a relaxer. I usually relax every 5 weeks, so I will gradually try to stretch my relaxers. I have pretty healthy hair, it's just styling and trying to protect my ends. I also usually get a trim every 6-8 weeks just to keep my ends nice and healthy. My two biggest problems are the moisturizer I use weighs my hair down when I wrap it and I don't have alot of options for styling due to my hair is short, other than that, I'm cool:)

Sorry for going on and on, but this is the only forum that I feel I can truly express myself about my short hair.

Shorthair ladies unite

Cayenne0622 said:
I have truly found a home. My hair is about an inch 1/2 longer than what's on pic right now. I am glad to know I have my short-haired crew going through this grow out so we can hang out with the long-haired crew one day. :lachen:

We can do it, ladies!!! Be strong. I can't wear my hair down right now because I will be FORCED to trim it. It does its best when it is trimmed even and flat-ironed. I haven't used direct heat for about a month and I've been airdrying and pulling it back into a phony pony or bun. I think I'm getting paranoid about eventually wearing my hair down. I'm scared. I plan to keep it out of sight until the end of September. Geez! This shouldn't be so hard. You would think our hair would love us for the extra work but sometimes it seems more like its a defiant child. lol

How do you do this style if your hair is so short:perplexed

Cayenne0622

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
How do you do this style if your hair is so short:perplexed
My hair is long enough to fit in a phony pony tail/bun. The bottom is shorter than all the length I have on top so when I pull it up, I just use jam to smooth the shorter strands up. I hope that makes sense. Also, remember my hair is about 1 1/2 longer now than what's on the pic but I was wearing it up in ponytails then also.Thanks for the compliments on my hur ladies. : - ) I loved it when it was super short and when it grew out into that chin length bob but I messed up my front hairline because I didn't know I was abusing my hair at that time. I kept using a lot of Design Essentials hairspray to control fly aways and to smooth the hair down because I didn't want to use gel. The alcohol in the hairspray caused my hair to break along the front. I didn't know why so I cut bangs in the front and continued using the hairspray AND curling my hair with hairspray until I found Cathy Howse's website and LHCF. I have now been in recovery mode with my front hairline and hopefully I'll see improvement when I wear it down for the 1st time in 2months in September.

Ok I see what you are saying. I also have enough hair to pull into a phony pony, but I have never tried to do it. Maybe I'll try it this weekend. Do you have any pictures of your phony pony?

Cayenne0622 said:
My hair is long enough to fit in a phony pony tail/bun. The bottom is shorter than all the length I have on top so when I pull it up, I just use jam to smooth the shorter strands up. I hope that makes sense. Also, remember my hair is about 1 1/2 longer now than what's on the pic but I was wearing it up in ponytails then also.Thanks for the compliments on my hur ladies. : - ) I loved it when it was super short and when it grew out into that chin length bob but I messed up my front hairline because I didn't know I was abusing my hair at that time. I kept using a lot of Design Essentials hairspray to control fly aways and to smooth the hair down because I didn't want to use gel. The alcohol in the hairspray caused my hair to break along the front. I didn't know why so I cut bangs in the front and continued using the hairspray AND curling my hair with hairspray until I found Cathy Howse's website and LHCF. I have now been in recovery mode with my front hairline and hopefully I'll see improvement when I wear it down for the 1st time in 2months in September.

Cayenne0622

I don't have any phony pony pics but I will take some and post for you. My sister has my digital camera for school pics of her kids so I'll have to get that back. Be patient because it'll be a few days. I'm going to save this thread so that I'll remember to come back to it.

Summer_Rain

wonderful thread. i'm just coming off a 9 month relaxer stretch (couldnt decide if i really wanted to transition). i've rocked every length of "short" since i was about 15. my hair will grow to neck length and then major breakage would always occur, before that - i could get just below shoulder length.

The back of my hair suffers from chronic breakage and i'm at a total loss as to how to heal it. right now i'm at a full thick bob just below chin length and the back has grown out completely from the tapered cut i had to do as result of the breakage.

But i'm honestly terrified now of how to handle it/avoid the breakage. i plan on doing the weekly washes, deep conditioning, monthly protein treatments - but am clueless when it comes to protective styling, how to avoid heat or mosturize my ends properly :-(

Help :( :(