Shorthaircareforum discussion board - Post #1

unique4lyfe33

They are describing their hair texture. People with 4a, 4b....4z hair have probably the coursest texture hair. Kinky/Coily. People with 3's and higher with have coils, curls, and waves. I know they have it mapped out somewhere...I just can't remember where. lol

thank u that helped a lil lol:grin:

mstee07

Daephae and Belle I'm a newbie but I am in!!! Sometimes looking at the other threads is really depressing because of where I am. In october of '07 I was brushing SL but due to overprocessing, I am barely at nl now with some significant breakage in the middle back of my head :cry3:. It is my goal to get to a healthy SL but first I have to grow back the hair in the middle of my head :giggle:

wannabelong

:sad:
I need some serious advice! I spent 1 year growing out my relaxed chin-length hair. In May 2007, I did the BC. I had been sporting weaves, braids and wigs the whole year to get a little length on my now 3 inch long natural hair. Ok, so last week i decided to wear my hair natural...semi-natural. I purchased Just for Me(not for me) hair Softener, thinkin it was gentle enuff for kids, it's gotta be great for me! Now i have crunchy, dry, dreadlock rasta hair! i have been deep conditioning it every two days. Nexxus Humectress, Motions CPR, olive oil, baby oil, aphogee you name it I'm using it. Any one with any suggestions...Whatta waste of a full year. i just wanted it to be a little more manageable! I could slap myself!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I'm sorry that happened to you. I would continue to deep condition with heat until the hair begins to soften up. I would suggest to stay away from protein conditioners/treatments...Motions CPR and aphogee.

LivingDoll

Daephae and Belle I'm a newbie but I am in!!! Sometimes looking at the other threads is really depressing because of where I am. In october of '07 I was brushing SL but due to overprocessing, I am barely at nl now with some significant breakage in the middle back of my head :cry3:. It is my goal to get to a healthy SL but first I have to grow back the hair in the middle of my head :giggle:

Welcome! Thanks for joining in. You should also check out the "Newbie Thread (PT. 1)". We're in this together...as you can see from my siggy (signature) pic, I have a long way to go myself! Support from others makes the ride more enjoyable. Have you developed a regimen?

mstee07

Welcome! Thanks for joining in. You should also check out the "Newbie Thread (PT. 1)". We're in this together...as you can see from my siggy (signature) pic, I have a long way to go myself! Support from others makes the ride more enjoyable. Have you developed a regimen?

Thanks Daephae! I found the newbie thread and subscribed there as well. I do have a regimen that I posted on the other link this afternoon. Basically I pre-poo, wash, dc 1x wk; co-wash 1x week, moisturize and seal 2x daily. Wearing phony bun now cause I can't do much as until the part that broke horribly grows back. Thanks for the vote of support.

sweetsuccess

silk wrap GONE WRONG !!

helllllllllllllllp...

this is my first week on the board.. n i was trying to do the wash n restrict from using my basic heat tools (blow dry and flat iron)... n i did the rollerset... which by the was a disaster..(i need rollersetting 101).. and i went under the dryer ... let the hair dry.. then sprayd a lil leave in and wrapped it then covered with saran wrap n went under the dryer... my hair was so ugly.. n i wudve had to flat iron it out... but since my roots were still nasty i started all over by cowashing... n now at this present time im sitting under the dryer with lil twist balls on my head doing a different attempt. n if this comes out ugly.. im just gona have to cowash tomorrow and blow dry n flat iron.......

are there any suggestions.. my hair length is in my siggy.. i dont know what else to do... i feel like blow drying and flat ironing is my best bet... but i wana do protective things.. but cant. i need help!!

my regimen today was:

prepoo with egg n olive oil with a cap for 20mins
shampoo with sunsilk hydra tlc (luv it!!!!)
conditioned with sunsilk hydra tlc (luv itt!!!)
deep conditioned with pantene deep penetrating mask with a cap for 30mins
washd out and rollerset with my own remedy of tea tree oil, lotta body setting lotion, and a vitamin e, aloe, and ttree oil mixture...
and before the silk wrap i used kenra light weight leave in

if there are any corrections or advice for me... plz help??

(i also switch my regimen from time to time n use kera care hydrating shampoo and humecto conditioning instead of the sunsilk)

TIA

pazyamor

Re: silk wrap GONE WRONG !!

helllllllllllllllp...

this is my first week on the board.. n i was trying to do the wash n restrict from using my basic heat tools (blow dry and flat iron)... n i did the rollerset... which by the was a disaster..(i need rollersetting 101).. and i went under the dryer ... let the hair dry.. then sprayd a lil leave in and wrapped it then covered with saran wrap n went under the dryer... my hair was so ugly.. n i wudve had to flat iron it out... but since my roots were still nasty i started all over by cowashing... n now at this present time im sitting under the dryer with lil twist balls on my head doing a different attempt. n if this comes out ugly.. im just gona have to cowash tomorrow and blow dry n flat iron.......

are there any suggestions.. my hair length is in my siggy.. i dont know what else to do... i feel like blow drying and flat ironing is my best bet... but i wana do protective things.. but cant. i need help!!

my regimen today was:

prepoo with egg n olive oil with a cap for 20mins
shampoo with sunsilk hydra tlc (luv it!!!!)
conditioned with sunsilk hydra tlc (luv itt!!!)
deep conditioned with pantene deep penetrating mask with a cap for 30mins
washd out and rollerset with my own remedy of tea tree oil, lotta body setting lotion, and a vitamin e, aloe, and ttree oil mixture...
and before the silk wrap i used kenra light weight leave in

if there are any corrections or advice for me... plz help??

(i also switch my regimen from time to time n use kera care hydrating shampoo and humecto conditioning instead of the sunsilk)

TIA

Hey hair (and zodiac) twin...my hair is only a split second longer than yours and I found that roller-setting but with smaller rollers so I could have sort of a curly look worked wonders for me. Umm, also twist-outs and phony-buns (I have a phony-bun tutorial in my Fotki; but I don't recommend using this method often, all that tension pulls at your edges). I also just let it go sometimes, depending on whether you want to look a certain way. That's all the advice I can give you. HTH and good luck

Jassy28

Im giving this thread a muc h needed bump. I need some support from the other short haired ladies on the board?

miami74

I'm joining in on this thread as well. I can use all the support I can get. For once, I'd like to see my hair get to a length beyond the shoulders. All my life my hair has never gone past that length! :blush: All you ladies seem wonderful. Let's do this together. :yep:

LivingDoll

Hey guys! How's everyone doing?

I have no updates hair wise, just following my routine...wash & style on Sunday/Monday & Thursdays. I'm a little frustrated because my hair is just about at the beginning of the "in-between" stage...you know, too long to be considered short but not long enough for a ponytail? LOL. I'm HATING IT (but not enough to cut it :grin:)!

My problem is, I'm probably long enough to roll with small magnetics (orange or yellow)...but I don't think I would like the curlier look. Seems like it would look like a curly fro. Any suggestions? I want to be freed from the hot curlers!

LivingDoll

I'm joining in on this thread as well. I can use all the support I can get. For once, I'd like to see my hair get to a length beyond the shoulders. All my life my hair has never gone past that length! :blush: All you ladies seem wonderful. Let's do this together. :yep:

Hi Miami74! Welcome! Girl, your hair is LONG to me! :lachen:But I def know what your saying...you want to experience lengths that you haven't gotten to before. I'm confident that it will happen for you AND it probably won't take that long! The LHCF board has so much information and knowledge, all you have to do is apply what you learn and tweak things to suit your needs.

Happy Hair Growing!

MrsJersey

I also need the help and support from fellow short haired ladies. I can never seem to get past SL and I want length dammit:wallbash:

My current reggie is co-washing every other day, DCing at least 2xs a week. I try to limit heat so I air dry more often than not. Elasta QP's Mango Butter is awesome for my hair. Lately I've been doing a twist out pinned under for a wavy bob kinda look.

Like I said I'm here for help and support so if anyone has any tips or advise to offer I'm all ears:grin:

Jassy28

Maybe curling and wrapping after to loose some of the curl?

Hey guys! How's everyone doing?

I have no updates hair wise, just following my routine...wash & style on Sunday/Monday & Thursdays. I'm a little frustrated because my hair is just about at the beginning of the "in-between" stage...you know, too long to be considered short but not long enough for a ponytail? LOL. I'm HATING IT (but not enough to cut it :grin:)!

My problem is, I'm probably long enough to roll with small magnetics (orange or yellow)...but I don't think I would like the curlier look. Seems like it would look like a curly fro. Any suggestions? I want to be freed from the hot curlers!

Jassy28

Welcome MrsJersey!

I also need the help and support from fellow short haired ladies. I can never seem to get past SL and I want length dammit:wallbash:

My current reggie is co-washing every other day, DCing at least 2xs a week. I try to limit heat so I air dry more often than not. Elasta QP's Mango Butter is awesome for my hair. Lately I've been doing a twist out pinned under for a wavy bob kinda look.

Like I said I'm here for help and support so if anyone has any tips or advise to offer I'm all ears:grin:

Isis77

i can definitely relate to this thread! before i joined LHCF, i BC'ed with the intent of going natural but then decided to texlax b/c i like the curl definition it gives me and ease of management without being totally bone straight. however, this is the first time i have ever sported ear length hair! the shortest it has ever been before is right below my ear lobes, right around my jaw line, but this time, since i did the cut myself...it looks a little too jacked for words :lachen:. so since it's too short in the front to reach the back of my head to put into a ponytail (heck, the back is nearly too short to put into a pony tail but i make it work as best i can with bobby pins :grin:) i basically do flat twists in the front and a stubby ponytail in the back which i then cover by a big curly phony pony and then wrap that into a bun to cover up most of the bobby pins. it's decent enough for me to wear to school and out and about w/o feeling self-conscious about my weird hair cut....but all i want is for my hair to be back at the "short" length that i can work with!!!!!! (ie: jaw-line length)

i know if i can just get my hair there or even down to my lower neck area, i can go to the salon and get it trimmed into a cute symmetrical Rhianna bob or something. then i'd be happy :lachen:

but until then, protective styling it is!

DivaD04

This should be helpful...it looks like you constantly wear your hair in a ponytail (or maybe too tight) in the back of your head...try to limit that if this is the case especially with bands with the metal or try to limit you ends hanging down if your ends are constantly brushing up against the shoulders which can just break them off.

Here's a good link to 101 protective styles, maybe you can find some styles that can be of use:yep:

If you need more just post and any of us would be glad to help
yes ma'am!:grin:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=212633&highlight=braid

miami74

Hi Miami74! Welcome! Girl, your hair is LONG to me! :lachen:But I def know what your saying...you want to experience lengths that you haven't gotten to before. I'm confident that it will happen for you AND it probably won't take that long! The LHCF board has so much information and knowledge, all you have to do is apply what you learn and tweak things to suit your needs.

Happy Hair Growing!

:lachen:Girl, I still have a long way to get to my goal of BSL. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Debbie Lynn

I'd like to join in.. I wore my hair in a buzz cut for 13 years. Two years ago I stopped cutting my hair and let it grow.

Due to the knowledge I've gained on this website my hair is very healthy.
I'm curious as to how long my hair will grow.

Happy growing ladies! :grin:

Debbie Lynn

I hope I didn't sound conceited by saying my hair is very healthy..but I really learned a lot.. When I tried to let my hair grow out of my buzz cut some years ago it would always break off at the nape and in the middle of my scalp.. I thought my hair just could not grow..but after reading a book by Shamboosie and reading the posts on this site, I found out that I made many mistakes..

By applying the haircare principles I learned, my hair stayed on my head and not in the sink..floor..comb..etc! :grin:

Bublin

Debbie, can you share what you have learned and what has helped you the most? I have not read Shamboosie's book. Not sure i'll be able to get it here in the UK.

Debbie Lynn

Debbie, can you share what you have learned and what has helped you the most? I have not read Shamboosie's book. Not sure i'll be able to get it here in the UK.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Where do I start!? LOL 1. You should wash you hair at least once a week
2. I started deep conditoning my hair at least once a week. 3. To use a protein reconstructor 3. I switched to a conditioning lye relaxer 4. Use high quality hair products. The Nexxus line is my staple 5. Use water based hair creams. No more heavy hair grease where petroleum or mineral oil is it's main ingredient. 6. Use curling irons/flat irons sparingly. 7. Make a habit in keeping my hair in protective styles.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head..but applying these rules have made a difference in the overall health of my hair. :yep: