Spin-off: If YOU were in the Hollywood game, what would YOU do?

foxieroxienyc

So after taking a look at Foxy Brown's hair posted in an earlier thread...
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=289011

It left me thinking about an interesting question/topic.... So many of us have now unlocked the tools to healthy gorgeous hair, and we're growing our hair long and strong. But what if YOU were in the entertainment industry, what if you were subjected to the pressures of the standards of beauty and had a look to maintain, how would you go about it? Many of us dislike weaves, and we as non-celebs are always saying how we're sick of seeing actresses/singers/models with weaves flowing down their backs and would like to see more of them with their own tresses, and wearing it proudly... Relaxed OR natural...

So if you got to a shoot and they wanted to take your beautiful long hair and curl it, maybe spritz it with hairspray, tease here and there.... What would you do? How would you prep for that? What would you do after the shoot was done to maintain your hair's health. Would you be so inclined to run for the weaves and wigs? It makes you think about women like Wanakee who wore her long hair as it was, and there are many others out there too. Many black female entertainers do claim it a thing of convenience but HOW MANY KNEW/KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR HAIR.... How many have the knowledge that goes into maintaining our hair type and grow it long in general? How many are just as clueless as we were before LHCF? And finally how many use these styling method as a way to achieve long hair because they don't think their hair can actually be as long and healthy as a weave? It's easy to lay on a simple explaination because it's always said by everyone else.

Again what would you do....

Tarae

Honestly, even knowing what I know about hair from LHCF, I'd probably do what most celebs do (black and white) and weave it up. It has to be easier and with all the styling you have to go through, it just makes sense. I watch Project Runway and they're always teasing those models hair. I couldn't imagine doing that so often with my own hair, plus heat? No way.

But even if I didn't know ANYTHING about hair, I know that mess on Foxy's head is just unacceptable. That was horrible. WTH did that to her? Does she own a mirror?

foxieroxienyc

:lachen:

LOL, yes very true, very true. I just find it an interesting topic. On the one hand you know how you hear people saying that they're tired of seeing the weaves, but on the other hand, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.:look:

The other day I was watching The Game. There was an actress on there (the one who got pregnant by Derwin - or however you spell his name), and her hair looked fabulous. It was a shoulder length style, looked to be her own actually. It was a nice change :yep:.

Foxy, no comment on that one....

JustKiya

I'd have a lacefront, no doubt - but I would only wear it on shoots, etc where someone ELSE had the last word on what was done to my hair.

When I was living my day to day life, it would be my hair - and I would have the last word on how it was styled. I'm sure I would hear a lot of flack about how I need to do XYZ, and need to hire a stylist/hairdresser, etc, etc, etc, but you know what?

*sucksteeth* Nah, sis. I wouldn't want to make all that money and lose more control over my life. Defeats the damn purpose.

Gracie

I saw that episode. I thought her hair looked great!!

I wouldn't allow that type of abuse to be done to my hair, so I would do a weave if the style meant all of that teasing, spritz and other crap. Rest assure if there was a slip up and my hair did endure all of that, there would be a lot of conditioning involved

Barbara

Princess
So after taking a look at Foxy Brown's hair posted in an earlier thread...
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=289011

It left me thinking about an interesting question/topic.... So many of us have now unlocked the tools to healthy gorgeous hair, and we're growing our hair long and strong. But what if YOU were in the entertainment industry, what if you were subjected to the pressures of the standards of beauty and had a look to maintain, how would you go about it? Many of us dislike weaves, and we as non-celebs are always saying how we're sick of seeing actresses/singers/models with weaves flowing down their backs and would like to see more of them with their own tresses, and wearing it proudly... Relaxed OR natural...

So if you got to a shoot and they wanted to take your beautiful long hair and curl it, maybe spritz it with hairspray, tease here and there.... What would you do? How would you prep for that? What would you do after the shoot was done to maintain your hair's health. Would you be so inclined to run for the weaves and wigs? It makes you think about women like Wanakee who wore her long hair as it was, and there are many others out there too. Many black female entertainers do claim it a thing of convenience but HOW MANY KNEW/KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR HAIR.... How many have the knowledge that goes into maintaining our hair type and grow it long in general? How many are just as clueless as we were before LHCF? And finally how many use these styling method as a way to achieve long hair because they don't think their hair can actually be as long and healthy as a weave? It's easy to lay on a simple explaination because it's always said by everyone else.

Again what would you do....

Wanakee stated that all that manipulation took a toll on her hair. I don't know how often she wears her hair down when modeling in those catalogs--not too much; but most of the time, I see her hair worn up in protective styles. Maybe she's has control of her hair while she's modeling. In fact, some of the same pictures were displayed in my catalogs years later. I haven't seen any recent pictures of her lately.

I spoke to her years ago when I placed an order. :yep: I know she's into Christ and the Bible now, and I was told that she's spending time with her mother.

I would probably wear a nice wig.

Pheonixx

I don't mind weaves. I'm in a sew-in right now while I'm transitioning.
Just the blonde ones...Blecch. It's the most overdone color in the world.

For photoshoots and such....Celebrities go through too many changes and photo shoots and different looks.
It's too much stress on the hair. Just throw in a weave and be done with it. Take it out when you're done with your shoot.

BUT--ppl do have a say-so in their overall look. Especially these established artists. They just CHOOSE to wear extensions. Nobody is twisting their arm to do it.

On this note, I understand on some levels the ppl who have an issue with the whole weave thing. It's...odd. Sure 'others' wear weaves...but every white, spanish and asian celebs ain't completely weaved up. The majority have 'Pieces' not full-blow head weaves.

Literally every sista celeb has a weave in her head. I've lived in areas where damn near every sista you saw had a weave.
I mean, EVERY single sista you met.
Something about that is just odd. And the brothas would just lose their minds when they encountered a sista with her own hair. It's their number one request: I just want a sista with their own hair.

But the women just dismiss it. Kinda like-the same way asian girls dismiss the reasoning behind the need for that eye-lid surgery.

Do you really even have to ask 'why' Asian women would want to change their eyes? Isn't it a no-brainer:
They say: I just like bigger eyes"
They mean: I just like Caucasian eyes.

I mean, hell---you don't see any other 'race' tackin their damn lids down to make their eyes 'bigger', do you?

Of course I don't say that every weave wearer has problems but y'know....:grin: A lot of times there is no guesswork. And sometimes it saves a lotta time, energy and unnecessary conversation to just to call a 'spade a spade'. There's nothing wrong with having 'issues'...as long as you're aware of them.
We all got things to work through.
No big deal.

If I were a celeb I'd prolly wear different weaves for photo shoots and performances. But I'd be natural and wear my hair out during award shows, studio time and my off time.

velvet

I'd get a natural looking weave, one that could be worn kinky or straight. My own hair is too unpredictable.:rolleyes:

luckiestdestiny

:lachen:

LOL, yes very true, very true. I just find it an interesting topic. On the one hand you know how you hear people saying that they're tired of seeing the weaves, but on the other hand, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.:look:

The other day I was watching The Game. There was an actress on there (the one who got pregnant by Derwin - or however you spell his name), and her hair looked fabulous. It was a shoulder length style, looked to be her own actually. It was a nice change :yep:.

Foxy, no comment on that one....

I hear ya. However, I did a commercial once (I'm a student but also I act), and it was for TLC, ballroom dancing, and they teased my hair and put it in this elaborate style. My heart broke with every stroke and I had to ask them to be gentler. I lied and said I was tender headed. It made me think of this issue too because with that treatment every day, not a strand would be left standing. Luckily I straightened it with a flat iron before they got to it, because if it was in its natural state, I'd probably have nothing left as they struggled to straighten it with all their hot appliances!