Shorthaircareforum discussion board - Post #1

say, kels...when doing the bantus on really short hair, keep them secured with those itty-bitty scrunchies found in bss's...they should be in the section with the ponytail balls and other hair accessories for children. and ella's right about doing them on dry hair.

I'm SO glad I found this-- well it was in the little "did you know" box at the top!

I feel like my hair is in an awkward in-between length. I had it cut short back in late January and I'm in the lonnnnng process of growing it out. I don't even have outrageous hair length goals- I just want to get over the hump! I stretched for 11 weeks and I'm FINALLY about to get a relaxer. I've been wearing my hair curly (magnetic rollers, mesh rollers, flexi rods and perm rods are all my best friends) and havent used direct heat in about 9-10 weeks (yay! i guess...).

I'm concerned with my hair's health, but I can't help but want some growth! I'm sorry- I just had to rant for a second and get in on the short-hair action!! Hopefully everybody is still around bc I wanna keep checking in and getting inspired by you ladies!

Oh and dillard- I have been fotki-stalking you :sekret: - your hair is GORGEOUS

Hi guys, I'm glad that I found this thread. I've never been at anything longer than neck length in my life. I found this site and I've vowed to grow some hair. I've apparently been stretching my relaxers without knowing how it could help. I'm already nine weeks post and I think I could make it to twelve. I've started washing and DCing 2x a week and tying it down which has really helped to smooth everything out (before I found this site I hadn't washed my hair in over 5 weeks!!! I know, I was baaaddd.:perplexed) Another thing, can anyone tell me how I can do bantu knots? I'd like to give it a try since I'm not using any heat. Also, can someone tell me what a cross-wrap is?
This thread is great! It's nice to talk to ppl without seeing the terms APL or BSL, don't get me wrong I intend to get to BSL, but it can be a bit intimidating, me being a newbie and all....

I would love to know how to do bantu knots and the cross wrap too. Do any of you girls use Infusium. I just bought the leave in treatment (moisturizing) but my hair gets hard when it dries. What am I doing wrong.

I'm SO glad I found this-- well it was in the little "did you know" box at the top!

I feel like my hair is in an awkward in-between length. I had it cut short back in late January and I'm in the lonnnnng process of growing it out. I don't even have outrageous hair length goals- I just want to get over the hump! I stretched for 11 weeks and I'm FINALLY about to get a relaxer. I've been wearing my hair curly (magnetic rollers, mesh rollers, flexi rods and perm rods are all my best friends) and havent used direct heat in about 9-10 weeks (yay! i guess...).

I'm concerned with my hair's health, but I can't help but want some growth! I'm sorry- I just had to rant for a second and get in on the short-hair action!! Hopefully everybody is still around bc I wanna keep checking in and getting inspired by you ladies!

Oh and dillard- I have been fotki-stalking you :sekret: - your hair is GORGEOUS
i'm still around, and thanx for the positive feedback!! :grin: removing the heat is probably the best thing you could do even though it's tough to style short here w/o heat, your hair will thank you for it!! keep it up and check in and give us updates!

Hi guys, I'm glad that I found this thread. I've never been at anything longer than neck length in my life. I found this site and I've vowed to grow some hair. I've apparently been stretching my relaxers without knowing how it could help. I'm already nine weeks post and I think I could make it to twelve. I've started washing and DCing 2x a week and tying it down which has really helped to smooth everything out (before I found this site I hadn't washed my hair in over 5 weeks!!! I know, I was baaaddd.:perplexed) Another thing, can anyone tell me how I can do bantu knots? I'd like to give it a try since I'm not using any heat. Also, can someone tell me what a cross-wrap is?
This thread is great! It's nice to talk to ppl without seeing the terms APL or BSL, don't get me wrong I intend to get to BSL, but it can be a bit intimidating, me being a newbie and all....
that's exactly how I felt when I first got here. sounds like you are really getting into it and following the good advice here!

I would love to know how to do bantu knots and the cross wrap too. Do any of you girls use Infusium. I just bought the leave in treatment (moisturizing) but my hair gets hard when it dries. What am I doing wrong.

I'm gonna do a search for these tutorials. I'll post links in a minute.

Just curious if there was anyone here who was going to keep their hair relatively short? I feel like i'm going to go thru the trouble of growing my hair out and then hate it. :look:

For me it seems like when my hair starts growing out I do not like the way it looks. I'm obsessed with full hair and it starts looking scraggly to me when it grows especially the back where it is already thin. Or maybe it's just that "in between length" that is not appealing?? I like my hair the most when it is about 3/4 the way down my neck with long layers and has a shaggy bob look going.

Right now i'm just trying to keep it healthy and see what happens:ohwell:

Just curious if there was anyone here who was going to keep their hair relatively short? I feel like i'm going to go thru the trouble of growing my hair out and then hate it. :look:

For me it seems like when my hair starts growing out I do not like the way it looks. I'm obsessed with full hair and it starts looking scraggly to me when it grows especially the back where it is already thin. Or maybe it's just that "in between length" that is not appealing?? I like my hair the most when it is about 3/4 the way down my neck with long layers and has a shaggy bob look going.

Right now i'm just trying to keep it healthy and see what happens:ohwell:
Yep I feel you! Im at an in-between stage now.. its very annoying. I feel like I cant do nething w/ my hair, it doesnt look cute most days, its layered so its kinda all over the place. BUT I know that its just a stage and I will get past it soon. :) Im thinking of getting braids or something to get me thru the awkward stages.. Maybe you could try something along those lines to help you get thru?

yay!! i have short hair and i'm glad i found this thread. I have braids right now and my hair is growing out so nicely using the C& G Method!!!!I don't want to jinx myself,but I'm so happy!I've always wore braids,but this is the first time i've seen such results within such a short time period. I am looking for styles to do when i take my braids down so i don't have to use heat on my hair.any suggestions? where can i find out how to do the bantu knots,and roollersets? Also,how exactly does a wash and go work?:ohwell:stupid question,i know,but i just feel like i am missing some information between the washing and the going part:lachen:!please help!

Hey ladies, I'm joining in. This isn't my first healthy hair journey. I started on 2/14/05 but never gave up heat so I would get progress and then it would stop. So I'm starting all over with a no heat regimen. Satin covered rollers are my new best friend!:drunk:

also...how can i save this thread?

at the very top of the first comment on the page, click on Thread Tools and then Subscribe to this thread. You can choose to get email notifications or not get a notification at all. Then when you go to Quick Links you can view your Subscribed Threads.

I 'm a newbie and just recently chopped my chin length hair to 2-3 inches. I'm a 4B with some areas of 4a one one side and god knows what other textures i'm dealin' with. I want to know what are some of the best products to use to begin growing and moisturizing my hair?

I am currently wearing cornrows and experimenting with a few different wigs...This has been VERY FUN...lots of complements! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics to come later!

I 'm a newbie and just recently chopped my chin length hair to 2-3 inches. I'm a 4B with some areas of 4a one one side and god knows what other textures i'm dealin' with. I want to know what are some of the best products to use to begin growing and moisturizing my hair?

I am currently wearing cornrows and experimenting with a few different wigs...This has been VERY FUN...lots of complements! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics to come later!

hey TnJ, welcome to the boards!! Check out this thread it has all the beginner info to start you off on your journey http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=108195

Also, hop on over to http://healthytextures.com it's a blog created by a member here macherieamour, plus other lhcf members write articles there too. there are video tutorials that i've found very valuable. happy growing!

Hi, everyone!

I've not posted in about two years. I do recognize some names, but there are *so* many new ones. I joined back in August 2003.

Anyway, re: short hair: Truth be told, long hair is neither desired nor appropriate for everyone. Furthermore, one has to consider not only hair type, but facial features and lifestyle. My hair is relaxed and shoulder-length at the present time. It is also slightly layered, which works for my fine-textured hair. As a teacher, I was looking for a 'do which was easy, but which also did not make me look like a stereotypical school marm. I also work out, and needed to take that into consideration as well. I can wear it styled or casually messy, whichever mood I am feeling. I can also wear it in a ponytail.

My goal, regardless of length, is strong, healthy hair. The most important thing I have learned in being associated with LHCF is that not everything that folks are doing/suggesting is going to work for me. My hair, like my skin, doesn't tolerate too many products. Furthermore, stretching relaxers doesn't work for me. In fact, I experienced breakage in attempting to do that. I do trim and relax according to a schedule which works for me, though others may consider it excessive/inappropriate/etc. I wash, deep condition, use protein and moisturizing conditioners regularly, and air dry/blow dry once, sometimes twice a week.

The point is: what I am doing at the present time works for *me*. I have found my "hair voice", which continues to be a work in progress.

Last edited:
I rollerset under hooded dryer and pincurl at night to avoid heat. I know I get some heat under the hooded dryer but I refrain from the curling iron and blow dryer.

My hair is long enough to put into a decent sized ponytail. Does anyone think it will break off a lot if I keep doing this? I can't bun to save my life and it's too hot to have my hair down.

Thanks in advance, short hair ladies. :grin:

My hair is long enough to put into a decent sized ponytail. Does anyone think it will break off a lot if I keep doing this? I can't bun to save my life and it's too hot to have my hair down.
Thanks in advance, short hair ladies. :grin:

just be careful with the type of holders ur using to put ur hair in a ponytail...and i wouldnt get it so used to pulling it back....my sister also has long hair and thats all she wears and has some breakage from pulling it back alot...

What do you ladies do to avoid heat? Are you using rollers or doing bantu knots and other protective styles?

I use rollers for wet sets(haven't tried bantu knots yet) and alsoto maintain my hair when its dry...i do air dry and sit under the hooded dryer and then flat iron my hair sometimes as well, especially when my NG is out of control! But I use a heat protectant and only flat iron on wash day. I just did my first cross wrap last nite, and I love it. I can finally wrap my hair again w/o hurting my delicate edges in the front!!

just be careful with the type of holders ur using to put ur hair in a ponytail...and i wouldnt get it so used to pulling it back....my sister also has long hair and thats all she wears and has some breakage from pulling it back alot...

Okay, I'll be careful! :grin:

I have good holders, my mother has some scrunci. (scruncis?)

Wow glad I found this thread. Even though I reaped some great advice on this site and the ladies are wonderful I had cancelled my subscription. Now that I have found this lil crew:circle: I might have to get that subscription back. Ladies I feel y'all and am glad to find someone in the same struggle. And Alundra...you killin me with Wilford I laugh my butt off when I see that commercial. Glad to see somebody else caught that.

Hi, I'm a newbie (kinda). My fotki hasn't been updated in almost a year because I have been dissatisfied with my progress. I started fresh by cutting my hair earlier tonight. I will take pictures of it tomorrow.

Hi, I'm a newbie (kinda). My fotki hasn't been updated in almost a year because I have been dissatisfied with my progress. I started fresh by cutting my hair earlier tonight. I will take pictures of it tomorrow.

I see this is your first post! Congratulations! Good Luck to you! HHG!

Recently, I just cut my hair really short. What I currently do is conditioner wash my short hair, towel dry, then add my favorite products and wrap my hair and let it air-dry under a silk scarf. By the morning my hair is smooth and soft and styled. It turned out great without the heat of a hooded dryer. Hope this helps.:yawn:

The short cut is a recent photo with the wrap style.

www.fotki.com/monigirl

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there that is struggling and needing some encouragement? Being conscious of hair health can be frustrating, and I am more than happy to help (if possible). :)

I have been lurking for 'bout 5years (off & on)! Too lazy to really participate I guess. I've found mounds and mounds of info here and I love this site. I've always tried to take care of my hair washing once a week deep conditioning everytime, taking vits, trying to drink more water. My hair and scalp tends to be dry which it seems the Keracare line has made a big difference and I've been using MTG for about a month now. Also I'm trying to figure out how I want/need to use castor oil. Just relaxed on Aug 8 and I have more new growth than I would have had normally. My problem is I get sooo frustrated with the process. I want to try rollersetting but for some reason have been intimidated cause I want it to come out right. I'm rambling I know....I've notice the past few days when I comb my hair its snapping where the new growth and relaxed hair meet. I don't want to relax it too soon so I'm trying to figure out what works for me to maintain it. I've seen alot of pics/fotki's ect. but I think I am most inspired by yours. Your pics are amazing and your hair looks great your growth looks more attainable for me. I can relate to where your hair came from to where it is now cause APL or BSL that is beyond me! I'll be happy with a solid SL anything else is a plus.

Hi ladies! Just checking in. Just moved to Atl and trying to find a stylist, which hasn't been going so well:nono:

Right now, my routine is roller setting and wearing my hair out on the weekend (i've decided to do strictly roller sets instead of trying to wear it straight). if the curls start to fall, I use my caruso steam rollers. during the week, i wear a phony pony to work. I've stopped buying products and been consistent with a set of products i like. right now, its qhemet amla and olive heavy cream and kemi oyl. I use phyto moisturizing styling balm to help slick down fly aways and edges during the week. and also i may use a dab of Design essentials silk essentials serum. I put mtg only on the funny patch of scalp in the back.

i also have been more consistent with my multi vitamin (Nature's Plus Source of Life) and i think that is helping.

Not posting any more pics til end of the year, hope to see some progress. i hadn't been home in a few months, and as soon i stepped in my aunt's house, before she even said hello, she said "wow, you're hair has really grown!", so that was encouraging. People are always telling me it looks healthy and thick when i wear it out.

Happy hair growing ladies! How's it going for everyone?

I use rollers for wet sets(haven't tried bantu knots yet) and alsoto maintain my hair when its dry...i do air dry and sit under the hooded dryer and then flat iron my hair sometimes as well, especially when my NG is out of control! But I use a heat protectant and only flat iron on wash day. I just did my first cross wrap last nite, and I love it. I can finally wrap my hair again w/o hurting my delicate edges in the front!!

How do you cross wrap? i hear people talk about it all the time, but can never grasp the concept. I hate to do a regular wrap and end up with that one jacked up side. Glad to see it is working for you.

Back