Sew-in WEAVES: What do you ladies think??

What do you ladies think about sew-in weaves?

• HATE them! Would never EVER put a weave in my hair!

Votes: 69 10.9%
  • Love them! They give my hair a break, and it helps my growth.

Votes: 250 39.4%
  • It depends on how well you take care of your hair while your hair is weaved.

Votes: 180 28.4%
  • It depends on the stylist who did the weave in the first place.

Votes: 76 12.0%
  • It depends on how long you plan on wearing the weave.

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • I don't really care either way. Hair is hair, whether it's your own or not.

Votes: 48 7.6%

• Total voters

Kurlee

Oh yeah, it's already been taken out long time ago. If you want to see my hair weave DISASTER, just check out my fotki album. It has all of the pics there. :(

I know my hair will turn around though eventually. My hair is still not the same.... :nono: But eventually it will be.
what happened?

Crystalicequeen123

Well, what happened was that the stylist taking OUT my weave didn't have the time or the patience to gently and gradually unbraid the cornrows she put in my hair. She just ended up taking a fine-toothed comb and raked it through my braided hair! Even when I repeatedly expressed my discomfort! :(

So, when my hair was taken out, I didn't even want her to wash or style my hair. I was sooo pissed. My hair was thin, fragile, and very whispy. I knew that I had taken great care of my hair while the weave was in my hair (having it washed, conditioned & styled every wk) so it had to be the taking out process that did the most damage to my hair. Now that I think about it, she probably did that on purpose!! :wallbash:

When I went in for my weave my hair was fine. It was fairly thick and growing LONG! The weave (although nice-looking!) just gave my hair a set-back. :( But my hair is growing again. :)

Millahdoowop

Oh wow, that sucks. I make it very clear when I get weaves that my hair needs to be braided lightly (not too tight) because my hair is fine and it really isn't necessary to braid it tight. I had ONE person (without me telling her), tell me that she didn't need to braid tight because my hair was soft. I was very happy with her, the chick knew what she was doing.:yep:

wannabelong

Well, what happened was that the stylist taking OUT my weave didn't have the time or the patience to gently and gradually unbraid the cornrows she put in my hair. She just ended up taking a fine-toothed comb and raked it through my braided hair! Even when I repeatedly expressed my discomfort! :(

So, when my hair was taken out, I didn't even want her to wash or style my hair. I was sooo pissed. My hair was thin, fragile, and very whispy. I knew that I had taken great care of my hair while the weave was in my hair (having it washed, conditioned & styled every wk) so it had to be the taking out process that did the most damage to my hair. Now that I think about it, she probably did that on purpose!! :wallbash:

When I went in for my weave my hair was fine. It was fairly thick and growing LONG! The weave (although nice-looking!) just gave my hair a set-back. :( But my hair is growing again. :)

This is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of. When I go to get my weave take-down. I'm just going to ask the stylst to remove the weave and leave my hair braided. I will take the cornrows out, detangle and DC when I get home.

Last edited:

cecilie

I use to do sew in weave but yesterday I had a bad experience , after taking it ut I had lot of knots in my hair more than with single braids I never had that ( I must say that my hairstylist was in vacation so the cornrows was made by another one ).
I was desperate near to cut my hair ...
The sew in is still my favorite protective style but it' s better to go to a hairstylist that you know well to avoid bad surprise ..

mxdchiq86

i'm not a huge fan of sew-ins myself. i find them to be way too bulky and itchy. it's a decent protective style but, i find that even a sew in can damage your hair if not done correctly. i perfer glue in's but, that's definately more damaging to the hair, imo.

mistee11

I agree, I think a nice wavy weave would be nice on me. Does anyone have any pictures of some nice wavy weaves? I usually only see straight weaves on most people. I have some in my fotki. I usually wore hair that was more curly than wavy.
Also, what is the usual price range? $100 - $200 plus the cost of the hair

How long does sewing in the weave usually take? about 3 hours

And lastly, is having a weave safe on relaxed hair? If I were natural I wouldnt' think twice, but I'm relaxed. How long is too soon to get a weave after a relaxer touch-up?? Yes, it's safe for relaxed hair. Just make sure it's not too tight. And wait a week or two after a relaxer before you get one.

These are just some things I'd like to know since I have no clue about weaves, and none of my friends or family members wear weaves either. :ohwell:

I'll definitely take some pictures if I get one. :D

IMO, a weave is definitely safe on relaxed hair as long as too much tension is not used and definitely no glue! (Me and glue just don't get along at all)! Daily conditioning is a must.

I have attached my pics of my new sew-in. I'm trying to keep it in for at least another month. I'm about 9 weeks post and I've had this sew-in for about 2 weeks now. I am a huge fan of sew-ins they have been a real lifesaver for me. Curly styles are really good for a natural look.

Attachments

• PIC00282-1-1.jpg
    PIC00282-1-1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 59
  • PIC00288-1-1.jpg
    PIC00288-1-1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 54

DaDragonPrincess

I wear extensions at times, even though people say I don't need it. But when I have photoshoots,hair shows ,etc I wear it. It makes my hair grow like crazy, everytime I take it out my hair I see new length.

tiara76

as a former sew in weave wearer I would say as long as you don't plan on keeping it up for a long period of time to where your natural hair cant breathe or get proper conditioning care or if its not a regular thing for you go for it.....i personally these days if i do n e fake hair half wigs...even started using them for shoots.....I also use clip in's and can have a fab hair do in a matter of minutes

ajacks

Prior to LHCF weaves were a bad thing for me. I didn't take care of my hair underneath - no moisturizing, washing (don't judge me lol), relaxing bone straight and getting a weave on the same day. My hair never grew it just thinned out and got shorter and shorter.

Now that I know how to take care of my hair, it's been thriving (see my siggy). That is the result of wearing sew-ins from February to July. I currently have a sew-in and I have incorporated MoeGro and OCT in the regimen so I can't wait to see the results 6 months from now.

Ediese

It's worked wonders for my hair. You can take a look at my siggie to attest to that. If done correctly and properly maintained, it's a blessing.

blaqbarb

i say........

sew-in weaves are GREATTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

I am so tired of doing my hair and was thinking of getting one. Is there a certain place that you go to in ATL to get yours done that does a good job and takes care of your hair at the same time? If so, what do they charge?

I have a friend that gets them done, but her styles are always ghetto fab and I'm not trying to go in that direction. I also would like for mine to look natural if I got it done and I can always tell that hers is a weave.

Country gal

I'm going to be doing sew-ins for a good while. I'm just trying to grow my natural hair long enough to work with, and give it a break. Years ago I grew my hair to its longest with glue in weaves! And I was bad with it, amazing. So I'm sure that with proper care I can grow my hair with sew-ins.

Same here. I plan on wearing extenstions until the end of the year which will give me a 4 month break. I opted for a sewn in wig. It works better than a weave because it is not as bulky. I am trying to grow my hair out to APL.

Country gal

IMO, a weave is definitely safe on relaxed hair as long as too much tension is not used and definitely no glue! (Me and glue just don't get along at all)! Daily conditioning is a must.

I have attached my pics of my new sew-in. I'm trying to keep it in for at least another month. I'm about 9 weeks post and I've had this sew-in for about 2 weeks now. I am a huge fan of sew-ins they have been a real lifesaver for me. Curly styles are really good for a natural look.

It looks really nice. :grin:

SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE PLEASE HELP!!!

:sad: I'VE JUST REALIZED A THIRD OF MY HAIR IS DAMAGED due to sew in weave. I really enjoy my weave and want to continue wearing it while I grow my hair to my goal length. My hair is natural and simular to Rudy on the Cosby show :)ohwell: sorry I'm a newbie unfamilar with all the type labels). I know that in the past I wasn't taking care of it, but what else could be going on? most of it looks like major breakage. Does anyone have a link or thread of the do's, don'ts, what for's, and how to's of the sew in weave.

Millahdoowop

Did your stylist braid or sew it in too tight? I like to do a protein treatment before I go into a weave and after I come out of one. Washing and moisturizing is a definite must. Some folks condition their hair underneath and apply the conditioner with the color applicator bottle (I'm too lazy for that). But that's pretty much it for me. Wash, condition and moisturize and you should be fine... I think. I also talk to the stylist before I get it put in and express what I want done, how I want it done and express my concerns as well.

natieya

This thread got bumped right on time. I was thinking of getting a sew-in soon. Ladies, how can I tell if my weave has been sewn in too tightly?

Ediese

This thread got bumped right on time. I was thinking of getting a sew-in soon. Ladies, how can I tell if my weave has been sewn in too tightly?

Trust me..you'll definitely feel it! Plus if it's too tight some of the strands of hair around your hairline will have white bulbs on the top. Also, you'll have tiny bumps in the back of your head from the tension of the braids.

glamchick84

i like sew-ins because they last a long time. but for me it doesn't, because i like to change my style to often. so i stick to half wigs and wigs.

Diam0ndiva

ok check me out.. if you get a sew-in and leave some of your hair out for blending and giving it a natural look be prepared to flat iron that section a few times.. this is not a bad thing as long as you moisturize the sectiona nd braid it down and wrap it up everynight (naturals). use a protectant for flat ironing, but then again you may not need to do none of that except for every 3 to 4 days because you did mention your relaxed and im sure your hair will hold the flat iron longer then a natural..

if you get a full head girl there's nothing to say except make sure the hair and the area you choose to have a part or bangs looks good on you..

OHHH and you must moisturize the hair underneath to minimize breakage, this may make the weave hair oily but if you use curly hair its cool, but straight hair it may be a lil problem, cuz it gets all flat. i suggest aleave-in, so of ya fav moisture and water in a bottle for this process..

use weave net for more protection, and when you comb and brush PLEASE PLEASE believe me when i say dont brush or comb the hair like you would your hair.. because remember your hair is braided underneath and you are rippin and damaging .. so when styling section the hair and hold and brush or comb the hair. i have used a supa soft brush for smoothing the sew-in with straight hair.. works very welll. DAM THAT WAS A LOT OF INFO.. good luck

Last edited:

QTPie

ok check me out.. if you get a sew-in and leave some of your hair out for blending and giving it a natural look be prepared to flat iron that section a few times.. this is not a bad thing as long as you moisturize the sectiona nd braid it down and wrap it up everynight (naturals). use a protectant for flat ironing, but then again you may not need to do none of that except for every 3 to 4 days because you did mention your relaxed and im sure your hair will hold the flat iron longer then a natural..

if you get a full head girl there's nothing to say except make sure the hair and the area you choose to have a part or bangs looks good on you..

OHHH and you must moisturize the hair underneath to minimize breakage, this may make the weave hair oily but if you use curly hair its cool, but straight hair it may be a lil problem, cuz it gets all flat. i suggest aleave-in, so of ya fav moisture and water in a bottle for this process..

use weave net for more protection, and when you comb and brush PLEASE PLEASE believe me when i say dont brush or comb the hair like you would your hair.. because remember your hair is braided underneath and you are rippin and damaging .. so when styling section the hair and hold and brush or comb the hair. i have used a supa soft brush for smoothing the sew-in with straight hair.. works very welll. DAM THAT WAS A LOT OF INFO.. good luck

OK maybe I'm retarded but I'm not getting how you girls are moisturizing your hair under the weave, especially with a straight install. A leave in is watery, so are you moisturizing then air drying the weave then styling it? And what kind of products are you using to moisturize? Also can you comment on how you are deep conditioning if you are wearing a net? I would think that that would cause an increase in product buildup along with a nightmarish take down. Please help I need to get this right for 2009!!

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Love them and I do them myself so that's even better. I get to change my hairstyle whenever I want.

myeam

I would also like to know how you ladies are conditioning your hair with a net weave. I had a stocking cap sew-in and washed and deep conditioned with it but you don't even Want to know the horror I went through when I took it out, not to mention the matting I struggled to untangle once I got the weave out! So any tips on this matter is much appreciated :)

phynestone

I would also like to know how you ladies are conditioning your hair with a net weave. I had a stocking cap sew-in and washed and deep conditioned with it but you don't even Want to know the horror I went through when I took it out, not to mention the matting I struggled to untangle once I got the weave out! So any tips on this matter is much appreciated :)

I had a net weave once - NEVER AGAIN!

I didn't use an applicator bottle, which would be your best choice, but tried to squirt as much of the product from the bottles I did have. This, of course, created problems and I left that weave in for about a month. I just couldn't do it.

ChocalateDiva

Weaves damage my hair, not matter how well I take care of my hair underneath. I lose so much hair when detangling during takedown and my ends are a wreck.

Good luck