Sew-in WEAVES: What do you ladies think??

What do you ladies think about sew-in weaves?

• HATE them! Would never EVER put a weave in my hair!

Votes: 69 10.9%
  • Love them! They give my hair a break, and it helps my growth.

Votes: 250 39.4%
  • It depends on how well you take care of your hair while your hair is weaved.

Votes: 180 28.4%
  • It depends on the stylist who did the weave in the first place.

Votes: 76 12.0%
  • It depends on how long you plan on wearing the weave.

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • I don't really care either way. Hair is hair, whether it's your own or not.

Votes: 48 7.6%

• Total voters

Crystalicequeen123

Hey ladies... :wave:

I need some advice on weaves because I'm sooo tempted on getting a sew-in weave within a few weeks because I will be on vacation, and I do not want to have to worry about the humidity, my hair getting "wet", or any other hair blunders that could be experienced while I'm away. My hair is type 4 b relaxed, and it's quite fine naturally, so my hair tends to "frizz" in the humidity. :(
I also think a weave would be a good break for my hair.

The only problem:

I know NOTHING about weaves! I've never had a weave in my hair in my life. When I was younger I had extension braids, but I've long since stopped those since they wreaked havoc on my edges.

So, ladies...what do you think of sew-in weaves? Yay or nay?? I would never do a glue-in weave (heard TOO many horror stories!). Do you think a weave would hamper my hair progress?? Do you think that ALL weaves are bad, or does it depend on how you take care of your hair while it's in a weave? Is it how long you wear the weave that can cause the problems?

PLEASE, I need some advice! :D

Thanks!

glamazon386

I wear sew ins most of the time and I haven't had any problems. As long as it's not put in too tight and you take care of your hair underneath your hair will be fine.

Ms Red

Hi :)

For me, it depends on #3, 4 & 5. First, if you are inexperienced with wearing weaves, period, I think you should go 4 weeks, maximum, to prevent damage. Definitely get a sew-in to minimize damage and do not have her sew it in too tightly.

Maybe go with a style where you will not need to use heat on the front/side sections of your hair b/c you don't want to damage any part of your real hair. I would go with a texture of hair that has curl or wave to it so that it can be washed/conditioned without too much maintenance. Bmoreflyygirl knows about the different types of hair, I believe, her hair is always cute. :)

Please remember to maintain the moisture in your own hair by conditioning the braids often, never letting the scalp get dry and flaky and not leaving the weave in for more than 1 month. I would not get back-to-back weaves either, it causes too much stress on a normal head of hair. Buy quality hair so that when it's done you won't want to take it out because of manageability, looks, etc. Good luck and please post pictures if you decide to get one!! :)

ETA: Oh, BMFG already posted LOL

Jaegermany

I think you should get a weave. Vacations & Weaves are great! Party all night, pool side all day, wet and go, no scarfs at night just straight wreckless:grin: !

When you are on vacation you dont want to have to worry about hair care! But you still want to look great so IMO a spanish / deep wave weave would be a great idea!

Your gamble will be the style. I would only wear a natural looking weave. Im sorry, I know its not mine but I dont want everyone to know its not mine!:lol: Which is where the damage comes in, because I personally like to have a part so that means some hair has to be left out on top. BUT if you get a spanish or deep wave you can always wet it and use a really good conditioner as a leave in so the hair on top wont suffer to badly. then only use shine and styling mouse for the weave hair....

Go off of a good reference of someones hair you have actually seen!

Good Luck!

Crystalicequeen123

Thanks for the info so far ladies! :D :up: I'm taking notes!

I'll talk with my stylist about it. Weaves aren't really her speciality, but she may be able to recommend someone to me that does weaves really well.

If I DO get a weave, I'll only wear it for about a month. I definitely would want it to look as natural as possible. Of course...within the price that I can afford! :lol: I want a nice well-done, classy weave. I don't need any hair down to my butt, and I don't want anything that doesn't look like my natural hair, or is shinier than a patent leather shoe. My relaxed hair is NOT "shiny" (it has sheen), and I don't want to be looking like Malibu Barbie with dark shiny hair that looks fake. :lol:

I agree, I think a nice wavy weave would be nice on me. Does anyone have any pictures of some nice wavy weaves? I usually only see straight weaves on most people.

Also, what is the usual price range?

How long does sewing in the weave usually take?

And lastly, is having a weave safe on relaxed hair? If I were natural I wouldnt' think twice, but I'm relaxed. How long is too soon to get a weave after a relaxer touch-up??

These are just some things I'd like to know since I have no clue about weaves, and none of my friends or family members wear weaves either. :ohwell:

I'll definitely take some pictures if I get one. :D

glamazon386

I agree, I think a nice wavy weave would be nice on me. Does anyone have any pictures of some nice wavy weaves? I usually only see straight weaves on most people. I have some in my fotki. I usually wore hair that was more curly than wavy.
Also, what is the usual price range? $100 - $200 plus the cost of the hair

How long does sewing in the weave usually take? about 3 hours

And lastly, is having a weave safe on relaxed hair? If I were natural I wouldnt' think twice, but I'm relaxed. How long is too soon to get a weave after a relaxer touch-up?? Yes, it's safe for relaxed hair. Just make sure it's not too tight. And wait a week or two after a relaxer before you get one.

These are just some things I'd like to know since I have no clue about weaves, and none of my friends or family members wear weaves either. :ohwell:

I'll definitely take some pictures if I get one. :D

ayoung

I had the 'Wet n Wavy' hair as my last sewin. (and once b/f that time) and I really like it.

I bought 2 packs of hair, Beyond the Zone Noodle Head (from Sally's) Cream and Spray and I was good to go!

After my stylist sewed it in (with a little left out in the front) I had her wet it. Then she rubbedthe Noodle Head cream in it--and then sprayed a little of the spray! Done! It will dry in natural wavy ringlets. If I wanted a little more hold--I rubbed a tad of Fantasia IC gel in it--just a little.

Every morning I would wet just the weave in the shower or over the sink--towel dry and after a day or two---i didn't need to really add any styling items except a little conditioner spray concoction I made. (Suave & water). I would wash or CW once a week. I kept mine in 4-5 weeks.

I do have pics--but I'm not good a taking them and they aren't that great--but i'll PM them to you.

ETA: And my hair grew ALOT with them--even my stylist noticed and was happily surprised.

Last edited:

motherx2esq

I love my sew ins. I just took mine out. I think I went 8 weeks but I had it washed and tightened 4 times. I had the wet and weavy hair! Loved it while I was on the lake this weekend. Just take care of it and you will be fine.

pistachio

I :love: weaves!! They're what helped me go from mid-neck length to even BSL at one point in time. I knew about weaves before I knew about baggying and bunning on this board, and I don't know HOW my hair would've grown like it did pre-LHCF...

HONEYVIBE

to me i think it depends on who does it for you. I dont know how to do it myself therefore i would get them done by someone else.

prettypuff1

i love them. I wear a full weave and will continue to do so until i hit BSL. i will say until my 24th bday. i saw the most growth with them and i loved how i could use all the heat i wanted to, and could do much less. I change them every 2months about and i get the hook up cuz my cousin does them for me cheap. I think you can do it honey get something u like and keep it up

fattyfatfat

I love sew-ins. They keep my hair protected against the hot sun and they look really nice (depends on who does it).

Right now I have a few tracks. Some weave in with some of my hair out with it.

If you want to protect your edges, tell who ever does your sew-in to leave them out.

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I want to try a sew-in one of these days....i don't know where to get decent textured BLONDE hair though...I'm a black albino so my hair is blonde and I got no intention of changing it's color so I wanna keep the blonde thing goin.....where's a good site for good BLONDE hair for weaving?

fattyfatfat

I suggest you go to a BSS to find the right colored weave for your hair. I dont know the number/letter of your hair color but your color may not be the websites exact color match. I went to a BSS for some hair yesterday and some 1B's did not match my hair color. If you go to a store they can help you match it better. HTH.

PittGirl06 said:
I want to try a sew-in one of these days....i don't know where to get decent textured BLONDE hair though...I'm a black albino so my hair is blonde and I got no intention of changing it's color so I wanna keep the blonde thing goin.....where's a good site for good BLONDE hair for weaving?

PittGirl06

the best for me is a mix of 144/613 but of course i can never find that.....i usually just go with 613 or 22 because going with just 144 is TOO gold....the others are too light still but look a LOT better than just gold.

RabiaElaine

PittGirl06 said:

www.extensions-plus.com get their relaxed texture...it matches our relaxed hair and have them customize the color for you. The hair is a bit expensive but it's totally worth it and it can be used forever.

Regarding weaves...I think they are great!! Check out my siggy...my hair has grown this much mainly because of weaves. I started a thread a while ago with my regimen. I don't leave them in longer than 4 weeks! If anyone lives in NY I'd be happy to sew it in for you.

Ayeshia

It was okay for me...what I did not like was how my roots matted up as my hair grew. It hurt like hell detangling my hair. more than likely I wont get it done again.

SpiritJunkie

i love weaves! in the past I didn't take care of it properly and didn't make it work for me.

Now tht i know better, thanks to the hair boards, i take good care of my hair underneath. I deep condition my hair every week. I spray my scalp with surge 14 mixed with evoo...nightly or at least every 2 nights. I don't leave it in for more that 4-6 weeks. I know some folks say a mnth but this is how long i do it for.

the pic in my avatar is weave bob i got done. prior to that i did my own weave..straight as well as spanish wave. gives my hair a break as i try to grow my hairs past my shoulders all of it. the back is past there but i need the rest to catch up. wearing weaves helps me get through this.

hth

g

PittGirl06

RabiaElaine said:
www.extensions-plus.com get their relaxed texture...it matches our relaxed hair and have them customize the color for you. The hair is a bit expensive but it's totally worth it and it can be used forever.

THANKS!!! I seen this site before years ago but lost it.....how many wefts do you use for this? My hair is natural and I won't be having any of it out when I do it..I'll have it ll braided underneath....

LadyPaniolo

Hmmm... is it possible to do your own sew-in and NOT look like a HAM? I can't even cornrow (yet) but I'd like the versatility of weaving my hair for special occasions.

I do my own extensions and it takes all darn week since I can only do it when DD is asleep (she'll be 2 in August, so I need to be ready to leap into action at any second :lol:)

I'd love to be able to do my hair so quickly, just a few hours. Hmmmm. Anyone have any experience with this?

SouthernTease

I hate them, they thin my hair out
I've gotten them a couple of times
and I've always taken them out after
a day or two... Yes, I wasted hundreds
of dollars... I just hate them!

I'm going to be doing sew-ins for a good while. I'm just trying to grow my natural hair long enough to work with, and give it a break. Years ago I grew my hair to its longest with glue in weaves! And I was bad with it, amazing. So I'm sure that with proper care I can grow my hair with sew-ins.

glamazon386

joyousnerd said:
Hmmm... is it possible to do your own sew-in and NOT look like a HAM? I can't even cornrow (yet) but I'd like the versatility of weaving my hair for special occasions.

I do my own extensions and it takes all darn week since I can only do it when DD is asleep (she'll be 2 in August, so I need to be ready to leap into action at any second :lol:)

I'd love to be able to do my hair so quickly, just a few hours. Hmmmm. Anyone have any experience with this?

I do my own with no problems.

anahnamuslyyours

So how exactly are you ladies washing your hair and taking care of it underneath the sew-in? I'm having a bit of trouble getting the concept. And a friend of mine is juss itching to get a sew-in in my head, but without being able to take care of my hair the way I do now, I am a bit wary.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
belladionne922 said:
So how exactly are you ladies washing your hair and taking care of it underneath the sew-in? I'm having a bit of trouble getting the concept. And a friend of mine is juss itching to get a sew-in in my head, but without being able to take care of my hair the way I do now, I am a bit wary.

Just make sure to keep your hair moisturized and clean underneath. Use coloring bottles (you can get them from sally's). For washing, add shampoo and dilute it with water, squeeze it into the braids and gently agitate so that it gets into the braids, rinse. As for moisture, I use a mixture of s-curl, water, and olive oil and apply it to the braids, I do this every other day. I've been doing my own sew-ins for years and my hair has flourished this way. Also when you take it out, make sure to give your hair a protein treatment and a good deep condition. HTH:)

Crystalicequeen123

*nervous* Well, ladies....it looks like I'm actually going to go through with it! :look:

I made an appointment to get my sewn-in weave tomorrow! I'm soooo nervous though! I don't know why! I think it's because I've never done it before, and I want it to look good and natural. Hopefully people won't be able to tell it's a weave.

The lady at the salon said that I should get Remy hair since that's the best type of human hair for weaves. Is this true?

This weave is going to cost me an arm and a leg, so I surely hope it's worth it. :ohwell:

I need more encouragement ladies! I don't want this weave to damage my hair. My hair is already fine to begin with (not damaged, just fine in texture), and I don't want my hair to fall out! :(

I plan to get my hair washed at the salon every week, or at least wash it myself at home, and I only plan to leave the weave in my hair for a month. 5 weeks tops. Do you ladies put conditioner in the hair also? What about leave-in conditioners too?

Also, taking out the weave...does that damage your hair? How do they cut the hair out?? Do they cut some of your real hair out too sometimes by accident?? I just have so many questions.

RabiaElaine

PittGirl06 said:
THANKS!!! I seen this site before years ago but lost it.....how many wefts do you use for this? My hair is natural and I won't be having any of it out when I do it..I'll have it ll braided underneath....

I don't think you would need to order anymore than 6oz. You won't even use all of that!

RabiaElaine

joyousnerd said:

Yes it is possible to do your own. You will need to learn how to cornrow though. It doesn't have to be super neat cornrows, just cornrows that aren't too tight or too loose. The don't have to be super small either. I have an article on www.healthytextures.com that describes the best practices for weaving. Check it out!

RabiaElaine

belladionne922 said:

Check out the weaving 101 article on www.healthytextures.com I describe how I wash and take care of my weave and my hair underneath.