Rollersetting/PinCurl 6 month Challenge 2008'

I have NEVER airdried a roller set. I almost did it last night cuz I really didn't feel like sitting under the dryer, but I was so afraid that it was gonna turn into a puffy mess.

Any one have any success with airdrying their rollerset?

ARR

I have. I wish I knew how to post pics in threads. You can check out my fotki though, it's in the growth part. The curls came out shiny and bouncy!

I just got a rollerset done this weekend. I pincurled for the first time and it came out nice...the only thing is I saw breakage throughout my head that I had never seen before...small little pieces:sad:...I'm going to have to really find something to curb the breakage...

I am having an illified week. I have done a rollerset but I did not take any pictures. I am in grad school and trying to get back into the swing of things since being out two weeks for Christmas. I hope to post some pics. I am getting my retouch on Saturday. I am going to get a rollerset. I will make every effort to take time out to take a picture.

I wanted to suggest that even if you are rollersetting your hair that you still can put your hair in a protective style. I in particular am not going to wear my hair out everyday. I (might)wear it on the first day then I put it in a protective loose style so that my ends are protected. You definately want to make sure that you are giving your hair alot of TLC.
Check your hair for moisture daily.Moisturize and seal those ends to retain your length as your hair grows out. Minimize using the comb. Try to finger comb your hair as much as possible if you can.

Thanks for the advice Stella B, I need to find a way to pin mine up. I cowashed my rollerset Monday night and put it in a bun because I felt the ends looked too dry. Although it was very soft, it looked frizzy.

Thanks,

ARR

Ive been rollersetting twice a week for the past 3 weeks. Next week Ill have to cheat for a bit. I have a photoshoot with a natural hair salon but right after that Ill be right back on it.

I'm in! I just got my tourmaline dryer in the mail today!! I cant wait to try it out tomorrow. My ends are screaming because I have been blowdrying and flatironing every week. I am paying for it now:nono:

I'm going to "unofficially" follow this challenge. I'm buying a salon quality dryer next month and right now all that I have is my soft bonnett dryer and it's on its last lim. So I won't officially be able to do my weekly sets until then. I have steam rollers but they don't look too hot if my hair isn't straightened first. I want to eliminate even the possibility of using direct heat and the steam rollers will push me in that direction. My hair is very thick and it takes a long time to dry so air drying my rollerset is not an option.

Do any of you get breakage from rollersetting? You know the lil C's that people speak of. If so, how do you combat them?

I wanted to do a protective style with a curl for a long long stretch as I transition to texlaxed. Being relaxed strait is not good for my hair.:nono: The good thing is that my hair will hold a twist, so that's what I'm doing. Roller set first, then put it in the twist set. I want to hopefully transition my hair safely without breakage.

Last edited:

This is the second rollerset. My stylist did the first one and this is my first attempt at a wetset by myself.

It turned out so so.

Here are some of the problems I faced:

• I did not have enough of the red rollers so I ended up having to mix in the teal ones.
  • I have a soft bonnet dryer so some parts of my hair in the back, and and the center was not all the way dry.
  • Those metal clips kept getting tangled in my hair.
  • I lost a little bit of hair once from pulling out the metal clip and then a little when I was wrapping the curl for the rollerset. I think this was because I combed the curls out. I think next time I will use the brush.
  • Its a little poofy, but it will get better after I seal my ends and wrap it overnight. I didnt add alot of product because I did not want to spend too much time under the dryer. I think that I probally rolled them too bi because I did not want to run out of rollers as well as it did not dry all the way.
97686118_o.jpg

What did I like. The curls were bouncy. My hair feels healthy and I did not think that I could succeed with the metallic hair roller.

What I will do next time:

• I am going to get more red rollers and do my entire head in red, maybe the next step up for the back what ever color that is.... anybody know? please share.
  • I think I might start using hairpins to hold them down. Those metal clips are dangerous.:wallbash: Okay for the front where I can see what I am doing.
  • Stay under the dryer longer. I was under the dryer for about 45 minutes. I think another 20 minutes would have done the trick. I am hoping to get a Pibbs, this month but we will see what happens on payday.If not I will get one within the next couple of months.

StellaB; [B said:
What I will do next time:[/B]
  • I am going to get more red rollers and do my entire head in red, maybe the next step up for the back what ever color that is.... anybody know? please share.
  • I think I might start using hairpins to hold them down. Those metal clips are dangerous.:wallbash: Okay for the front where I can see what I am doing.
  • Stay under the dryer longer. I was under the dryer for about 45 minutes. I think another 20 minutes would have done the trick. I am hoping to get a Pibbs, this month but we will see what happens on payday.If not I will get one within the next couple of months.

The next step up from the red are the purple. Thats what I use. From the pics your curls look nice and soft, your ends dont appear to be frizzy so I say you did a good job.

I normally stay under my dryer for about an hour and 20 minutes. I think you will greatly benefit from the few extra minutes.

Are you wrapping your hair at night or pin curling? Ive been pin curling after my weekly rollersets for the past 3 weeks or so and Im loving the way the curls turn out.

The next step up from the red are the purple. Thats what I use. From the pics your curls look nice and soft, your ends dont appear to be frizzy so I say you did a good job.

I normally stay under my dryer for about an hour and 20 minutes. I think you will greatly benefit from the few extra minutes.

Are you wrapping your hair at night or pin curling? Ive been pin curling after my weekly rollersets for the past 3 weeks or so and Im loving the way the curls turn out.
W

Thanks .
I am wrapping after each set. Not into the curly thing but like the benefites that rollerset delivers.

I'm going to "unofficially" follow this challenge. I'm buying a salon quality dryer next month and right now all that I have is my soft bonnett dryer and it's on its last lim. So I won't officially be able to do my weekly sets until then. I have steam rollers but they don't look too hot if my hair isn't straightened first. I want to eliminate even the possibility of using direct heat and the steam rollers will push me in that direction. My hair is very thick and it takes a long time to dry so air drying my rollerset is not an option.

Do any of you get breakage from rollersetting? You know the lil C's that people speak of. If so, how do you combat them?

Sure thing!
I had a little bit but it was because I mishandled my hair and also bc it was not dry enough. I dont know what the lil C is can you explain?

I will join also, since I roller set most of the time...

I have problems after I take my roller set down...
My hair is way to dry, and causes it to break... I think my hair wants a lot of oils or butters on it during the drying time under Darth Vader(name my hubby gave my PIBBS:lachen:), because my moisturizers just aren't doing it alone...

I welcome any advise on good oils or butters that will take the snap out of my freshly dried hair... Once my hair is moisturized and oiled, it is OK...

I am going to read the threads on roller setting and see want I need to do...
I will post my regi. tomorrow and snap a few pictures of my roller set and etc... and post... I hope I can get this roller setting thing right...

Thanks!!!!!

I'm using MN daily and I started co-washing (about a week and a half before my relaxer) about every 3 days. I take vitamins, wore rollersets, I wore protective styles for the last 2 weeks before my relaxer, which really helped with no manipulation.

ARR

:blush:Wow, that is amazing. Are you using any growth aids. That looks like over an inch!

Did I just have a bad hair day

I made 3 attempts to rollerset my hair today. Instead of using the clips which are sharp and I am afraid that they are going to pull my hair out, I tried to use roller pins. Everytime I got to the end of a row the first roller in the row would start coming down. After the 3rd attempt I gave up. I wrapped it up and got under the dryer. My hair looks great. Now off to eat dinner.

What is the secret to keeping these rollers in? I am going to get macherieamour's rollersetting dvd, but... a sister has to buy her books an pay her tuition first.

This is a real challenge. Good thing it is for six months, by the time I get the swang of thangs it will be over.. but really thatz why I started the challenge in the first place.

I rollerset the front of my hair yesterday (and had the rollers set to make my hair flipped) and let the back airdry(Im wearing a half wig for another week). I only got under the dryer for 20 minutes and slept in the rollers. It came out great! Today I got the macherieamour's (sp?) DVD on rollersetting, I am so excited, I'm going to try it out this weekend!

Just checking in. I'm still game and have been doing pretty good with this challenge. I think since the beginning of the year I've used heat only once :whip: Everything else has been a rollerset and I've even gotten up to 3x/week since I've been working out.

I also must say, I've been using the Snap-on magnetic rollers and setting my hair has definitely been made easier!!! I haven't really gotten use to attaching the roller with the clips so this works great for me. And yes, it comes out smooth! There are 2 types of snap-ons and what I'm using has a smooth roller and a smooth cap. Others have little teeth sticking out of them :nono:

I use these which are smooth (7/8in):
yhst-2519492840586_1984_94325382

I don't use these with the small teeth - I don't know who would???:
yhst-2519492840586_1984_134830893

Click on thumbnail for results:

Attachments

• hair-rollerset.jpg
    hair-rollerset.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 61
Just checking in. I'm still game and have been doing pretty good with this challenge. I think since the beginning of the year I've used heat only once :whip: Everything else has been a rollerset and I've even gotten up to 3x/week since I've been working out.

I also must say, I've been using the Snap-on magnetic rollers and setting my hair has definitely been made easier!!! I haven't really gotten use to attaching the roller with the clips so this works great for me. And yes, it comes out smooth! There are 2 types of snap-ons and what I'm using has a smooth roller and a smooth cap. Others have little teeth sticking out of them :nono:

I use these which are smooth (7/8in):
yhst-2519492840586_1984_94325382

I don't use these with the small teeth - I don't know who would???:
yhst-2519492840586_1984_134830893

Click on thumbnail for results:

Very pretty results! I picked up a couple of these at Sally's I also picked up some self grip rollers. I'll be experimenting with these.

Finally

I finally got a really decent rollerset. (sorry, no pics). I took pics but did not feel like downloading them. Anyhoo, I took suggestions and went and got some magnetic snap rollers, 1 1/2" I loved the way it turned out. It was nice and fluffy. The rollers stayed in my hair did not get tangled.

GOOD: No hair loss
Good curl volume
Bouncy hair

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT;

Hair not quite dry (again).
Hair did not feel moist after dry.
Needing to learn how much product to use.
Will try with setting lotion next time.

I have just been using leave, heat protection and sealing. I am going to have to get a moisturizing setting lotion. My thick hair takes a long time to dry and I probally need to add something to boost the moisture.

...off to do research.

PS. There are alot of ladies signed up for this challenge.

Show us your pictures...get in here so that you can get that hair growing ladies......we are going into our second month.

This is a challenge, you knew it wasn't going to be easy but don't give up. It is for your hair. If you want it than claim it.

Everything has been going well for me. Ive been rollersetting once a week and pincurling at night. Currently Im using the purple magnetic rollers with the metal double hinge pocket roller clips. Im a little over 5 weeks post and my hair is loving this regimen. Im still protective styling, I normally wear my hair up in a loose bun with a side bang.

Im DCing now, so Ill show pics of my rollerset a little later! :yep:

Thanks!!!!!

I'm using MN daily and I started co-washing (about a week and a half before my relaxer) about every 3 days. I take vitamins, wore rollersets, I wore protective styles for the last 2 weeks before my relaxer, which really helped with no manipulation.

ARR

OT: I hope you don't mind. . . but after goin thru your fotki, i HAD to add you as a friend. my hair is kind of close to your starting length, but yours is WAY healthier and you rollersets look amazing!

Back