Various Rollers

Which rollers do you like best to get your look?

• Total voters

Nella

I notice everytime I walk into a beauty supply there are loads of rollers. You can find anything these days. I have seen magnetic rollers, mesh rollers, foam rollers, satin rollers, velcro rollers, flexi-rod rollers, perm rods, jelly rollers, hot rollers, steam rollers, and the good old snap ons.

I wanted to start a thread to discuss the various rollers and the different one each achieves. I notice that everyone gets a different look and feel for each one so I also wanted to also add a poll and see what and how long each rollerset lasts you.

If, you have any tips for those whom have or haven't relaxed in 12- 15 weeks on how to complete a rollerset that would look really nice. Suggestions such as rollersetting on wet or dry hair. List the products (setting lotions, oils, etc.) you used to achieve your rollerset and discuss how it came out.

Thanks in advance as I'm certain everyone will appreciate your input!

crlsweetie912

I have a couple of rollersets in my fotki. I love mesh rollers. Even with 12 week post hair, the results are great. I also love rod sets for when I am stretching. The look is so curly, I don't have to worry about blowing out or flatironing my newgrowth. I have my setting mix in my fotki as well. Usually a little lottabody, some oil, lacio lacio, salerm and a little water to mix. I also found that serum on the ends protects them and keeps them from being frizzy.

ETA: I have most of the rollers mentioned above. I could never get a good set with magnetic rollers, I use mesh and my rods the most.

I use the pink Magnetic snap on rollers from Sally's. My hair is 6-8 inches and I very smooth sets even though my hair is texlaxed. The mesh rollers got stuck in my hair once and I actually had to have someone pull my hair out of the roller :mad: afterwards I switched. I am glad it happened I would have never found out about magnetic rollers otherwise. It is a little tricky getting your hair wrapped around the rler at first.

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

EbonyHairedPrincess said:

I use Magnetic snap on rollers similar to these from Sally's. My hair is 6-8 inches and I very smooth sets even though my hair is texlaxed. [B]The mesh rollers got stuck in my hair once and I actually had to have someone pull my hair out of the roller :mad: afterwards I switched.[/B] I am glad it happened I would have never found out about magnetic rollers otherwise. It is a little tricky getting your hair wrapped around the roller at first.[/quote]

How did that happen? Did you have the ones with the brush in the middle?

I have no idea. No there just pink and spiked all over. I thought it was because I'm texlaxed but your 12 week post and you have no problems. All I know is i'm tramautized now. Now thinking about it those aren't called mesh I can't remember the type of roller they are.

Last edited:

asubeauty

I voted for magnetic because I can use them all the time, but really, it depends on what I'm trying to do.

I use mesh if I don't have too much new growth so that my hair will dry faster. They don't really work that well for me if I have a lot of new growth. I wrap my hair after rollersetting with mesh rollers.

I use magnetics for my rollersets when I have a lot of new growth because they make better curls and help straighten my ng.

I sleep in satin covered sponge rollers to maintain the rollerset.

I use my Carousos to do a kind of quick rollerset. I usually roll my hair and then wrap it. Comes our great.

Velcro rollers are horrible! :nono:

I want to try flexirods, tho.

Lavendar

I use the large purple magnetic rollers because they are the easiest for me to handle. I can't get the hang of anything I have to use pins with. I haven't tried my Caruso's yet. The magnetic rollers give me a really smooth and shiny set.

albane

Despite having made trials with big magentics or velcros, I still consider that my blue (2 in) mesh rollers are giving the best result
But they are pretty different from those sold in the US (the textile is much finer and harder)
See my Fotki

CoCoGirl821

I didn't vote because I use large size rod rollers. I love them because they are easy for me to use and I get great results with them. I don't like velcro rollers are HORRIBLE. Not intended for Black hair. I used them once, and although I liked the results, it was hard for me to remove them from my hair without hair being removed. I will be sticking to my rods, I have them in all different sizes too!!!

levette

Snap-on magnetic rollers- the large black ones are the typical ones that I use. I just bought me some satin foam rollers as an experiment to use at night after a rollerset.

SkinnyMocah

I use the magnetic rollers with the snap on holder thingy but I wan to get a set like the ones they use at the salon. They're bigger and sturdier. The ones with the snap on holder are really thin and I can't get a tight roll sometimes.

LovelyLionessa

Right now, I am all about mesh rollers, they allow hair to dry much faster. The worse roller experience I ever had was with Velcro rollers, they are EVIL!!

bablou00

Using the magnetic rollers right now and they work great w/ my hair and being 3mos post. I want to try others when I get better at rollering my hair

dillard

EbonyHairedPrincess said:
I have no idea. No there just pink and spiked all over. I thought it was because I'm texlaxed but your 12 week post and you have no problems. All I know is i'm tramautized now. Now thinking about it those aren't called mesh I can't remember the type of roller they are.

Definitely sounds like you were also a victim of velcro rollers. They also call them self-hold rollers. I've never tried those, they just looked like a bad idea... right now I'm using little green magnetic rollers with the snap on cover. Even though they leave a little crinkle... but I haven't quite gotten the hang of using clips or pins to hold them tight...

ajargon02

I roller set to stretch my hair as i am a napptural, and it really works for me. I am a fan of magnetic rollers. the trick is a small amount of hair, rolled tightly on the roller, and put your products on before you begin:)

PaperClip

Helpful thread.... I am practicing on roller sets but I'd appreciate some guidance on what size to use. I recently found this chart online and I got the gray size but I didn't like the spikes on the rod and it kinda tore my hair a bit but I would like to mimic the straw set look on my 4-5 inch length natural hair.... The straws are a bit cumbersome. I have some black medium magnetic rollers in my hair and the curl is much smoother.... Any other suggestions on (magnetic) roller size?

Chromia

I use magnetic rollers on wet hair. I sit under my dryer with them. I haven't tried air drying with them. I use the gray and purple ones, so my hair comes out smooth and straight, bumped at the ends. I use leave-in, serum, and a moisturizer on my hair before I put those rollers in.

I have satin-covered foam rollers that I use on my hair when it's dry. Sometimes I sleep in them, or sometimes I used them to set my hair when I'm home for a few hours. My hair comes out the same as it does with the magnetic rollers.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I voted magnetic rollers! However I do love my caruso's as well, I use them if a need a little curl in the middle of the week and don't feel like rollersetting again. I would like to try the flexi rods one day....Just waiting for that sale @ Sally's first:lachen:

YoungWavey

I use the large purple magnetic rollers because they are the easiest for me to handle. I can't get the hang of anything I have to use pins with. I haven't tried my Caruso's yet. The magnetic rollers give me a really smooth and shiny set.

Yep me too:yep: but getting the pins in wasn't a problem with me. It was trying to fit the hair on to the rollers(my hair wasn't really soaky wet duh i know now):rolleyes:.

caramelcutieinva

I use a few different types depending on the look I want

The caruso's are great for when I am stretching my relaxer

I use magnetic rollers (large red) , when I want a real bouncy and curly look

I use satin rollers to sleep in , and with braid outs.

If I want a serious curl to hold for the day I use perm rods ( orange and purple)

LynnieB

Helpful thread.... I am practicing on roller sets but I'd appreciate some guidance on what size to use. I recently found this chart online and I got the gray size but I didn't like the spikes on the rod and it kinda tore my hair a bit but I would like to mimic the straw set look on my 4-5 inch length natural hair.... The straws are a bit cumbersome. I have some black medium magnetic rollers in my hair and the curl is much smoother.... Any other suggestions on (magnetic) roller size?

hey ya rehab.............next time you do the rods, wrap your ends with end papers to protect them from the spikey things.

think of the end paper as a pita bread pocket and your hair as the filling. fold the paper in half around the last 1-2 inches of hair ends and fold it over - slide the paper down the hair until all the ends (even the strays) are covered by the paper.

trust me, your hair will not stick to the roller anymore.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have the snap on magnetic rollers because I'm dangerous with the clips. i've stabbed my scalp too many times.:blush: I have a ton of learning to do, because my whole set is messed up today. Back to practice!:lachen:

SimpleKomplexity

Once I got used to them, magnetic rollers are really easy to use. It's just a lil hard getting the hair wrapped around the roller.They give you a sleek and straight look easily with or without heat and they don't come out easily even during sleep. I can put magnetic rollers in and sleep in them no prob!! lool

nappity

Imma say Magnetic rollers though my attempts to roll my hair has been unsuccessful. I will try it again with mesh

Creatividual

For wet rollersets I like the magnetic rollers with the snaps or cold wave rods. The cold wave rods work great when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to take the time to put in the magnetic ones. LOL.

For dry rollersets I like to use the plastic rollers with the snaps.

I want to try Caruso rollers in the near future.:grin:

MrsHouston

Nice chart. I need to get some of the purple. I want to experiment with these.

I mainly use the very large magnet rollers with clips or the roller clap. I also use the satin cover rollers to maintain my roller set or just a satin cap at night with hair up in a pony tail.

crlsweetie912

Hmm, RR I think that this chart is kind of outdated. Purple is like a medium size now. They have peach and orange and I think the largest is dark green? Maybe an inch in diameter. So the sizes have increased greatly!

ETA:

Green is 1 inch
Black is 1 1/4 inch
Red is 1 3/8 inch
Brown is 1/2 inch

Last edited: