Question about the Hair Coloring process

Nelli04

I want to get my bangs dyed a color like this:
just a little bit lighter...

I have had this color before, but I no longer get my hair done by the stylist who dyed it previously. So I called trade secret to set up an appt. to get my bangs dyed and the lady told me they would have to use bleach to get my hair to the color I wanted. She said they would bleach it first and then dye it the color I would like.
But I don't remember the process being two steps, nor do I recall the stylist who did my hair previously using bleach...she specifically told me she did not use bleach...

So my question is, is that the only way to get the color I want (using bleach)? Or should I go somewhere else? The reason I am so cautious is because my hair broke off A LOT the last time it was dyed, which is why I am only doing my bangs.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
It depends on the color of your hair now AND if you have any other color on your hair. I had henna on my ends and wanted to go lighter so the stylist used bleach to lift the ends first then lightened my entire head.

Have you had an in person consult with this person? If not, I would do this first before you commit to the process. Just make sure you are happy with the stylist and their plan of attack.

pookaloo83

It depends on the color of your hair now AND if you have any other color on your hair. I had henna on my ends and wanted to go lighter so the stylist used bleach to lift the ends first then lightened my entire head.

Dang! Is the henna that strong!

Nelli04

Thanks, I was unsure if whether I agreed with their process, so I opted to have a consultation the same day as well.

My hair is jet black, so I guess it would make sense that they would need to use bleach. Now I'm wondering if my previous stylist lied to me about not using bleach....

faithVA

My hair is medium brown. When I was getting my hair dyed professionally, I could get that color easily with just color no bleaching. If I color myself with permanent color or henna, my hair will be that color if I use anything other than a dark brown.

Even when going lighter I have only had to have my hair bleached when I was going blonde. (for whatever dumb reason I wanted to do that).

mzteaze

Dang! Is the henna that strong!

I got a bunch of different answers from a number of color-stylists. But the general consensus was that henna, altho natural, is treated just like any other color. Everyone suggested lifting it off first before color treating because it seems to ruin coloring in unexpected ways.

Having been a victim of a previous attempt at coloring with henna, I can attest to this being true.

Nelli04

I'm really torn, what do you all think is worse:

The first time I got my hair dyed we had to do it 2 times, the first time the color got me to a chocolate brown color, a few weeks later she dyed it again and this is the color it came out to
and then my hair broke off...

^I just want that color again, would the bleach be more damaging than the applying the color twice?

Last edited:

mzteaze

Thanks, I was unsure if whether I agreed with their process, so I opted to have a consultation the same day as well.

My hair is jet black, so I guess it would make sense that they would need to use bleach. Now I'm wondering if my previous stylist lied to me about not using bleach....

It really depends on how many levels you were attempting to move in the color spectrum. The process from jet black to dark brown is easier than jet black to light brown if you follow me.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you can move within 2 steps of your color without using something to lift the color. The more the levels in between, the more difficult the process can be.

ETA: I like the color you posted. IMHO either way you go (bleach or double process), you STILL have to baby the hair immediately afterwards. Last week I had my hair colored. So I am in extra protective mode to make sure that the little dryness I felt immediately afterwards doesn't damage my hair. So within a few days, I followed up with an extreme moisture pre-poo, protein DC followed by a deep moisture DC. My hair is back to normal already - even tho I pushed it and flat ironed over the weekend as well.

Just make sure your follow up care is on point IF you decide to go for it.

Last edited:

Nelli04

It really depends on how many levels you were attempting to move in the color spectrum. The process from jet black to dark brown is easier than jet black to light brown if you follow me.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you can move within 2 steps of your color without using something to lift the color. The more the levels in between, the more difficult the process can be.

ETA: I like the color you posted. IMHO either way you go (bleach or double process), you STILL have to baby the hair immediately afterwards. Last week I had my hair colored. So I am in extra protective mode to make sure that the little dryness I felt immediately afterwards doesn't damage my hair. So within a few days, I followed up with an extreme moisture pre-poo, protein DC followed by a deep moisture DC. My hair is back to normal already - even tho I pushed it and flat ironed over the weekend as well.

Just make sure your follow up care is on point IF you decide to go for it.

thanks, I think my hair is probably too dark to go to the color I want without bleach on the first shot...

I think that was my issue last time, I didn't take care of my hair AT ALL...I didn't know anything about moisture back then, nor did I know that dye dried your hair out. Thanks again.