product suggestions for low porosity hair?

HennaRo

I did the strand test...floated for two days. But my problem is that my hair is weak, like I don't even have to pull hard and snaps. Does this mean I need more moisture or more protein?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I did the strand test...floated for two days. But my problem is that my hair is weak, like I don't even have to pull hard and snaps. Does this mean I need more moisture or more protein?

@HennaRo - I always struggled with this but would revisit Sista Slick's articles time and time again in an attempt to figure it out.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

For protein/moisture balance the wet assessment noted in the article is great....I do it during every wash....the more often you do it the more you'll understand the results of it, stay balanced and determine when you need more protein or moisture.
divachyk that's the test I was mentioning in that other thread incorrectly I called it a wet strand test...oops:grin:
This is a good thread... due to lurking in it I skipped my cool water rinse today and my hair air dried faster...and that's a good thing:yep:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Nix08 - I do it periodically. I normally don't do it if I don't see any breakage. When I see breakage is when I start wet assessing which is crazy because theoretically, I should combat issues before they start not after they've developed. Good suggestion for wet assessing at every wash. I will incorporate that and see what I get.

JeterCrazed

More likely, it's protein. Pull slowly.If it's not giving you any rubber band action at all, I'd say moisture for sure. Otherwise, protein.

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

JeterCrazed

I'm still trying to understand if my hair is low porosity (it does float forever) and recovering from a protein overload among other things, and one thing I noticed is:
deep conditioning on dry hair with heat works, it is the only way my hair is accepting moisture right now (otherwise it laughs at anything in any quantity now that it's kind of shocked).
I apply the deep conditioner on dry hair, plastic cap (or kitchen foil then plastic cap), then I apply heat for 15 minutes, walk around for another 45 minutes, and rinse.

About 15 years ago a hairstylist taught me to apply the deep conditioner upwards, lifting the cuticles with your fingers section by section, and then downwards. It did work wonders that time (I had a relaxer + highlights disaster going on) but I am cautious about that kind of manipulation today, haven't repeated it since then. Maybe heat and baking soda are more gentle in lifting the cuticles.

Applying the leave in on towel dried instead of wet hair seems to make a difference as well. When my hair is ok it works anyway, but right now it only works like this.

You could also put air on it from all directions with a blow dryer without heat for the same result instead of doing it with your fingers. Blow your hair up instead of down and it will lift the cuticles.

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

cocoagirl

So for those that do the baking soda treatment pre condish, do you followup with an acv rinse after rinsing out conditioner? Or just proceed with your leaveins and style? Does the baking soda treatment leave the cuticles to wide open? Is Kimmaytube's leavein ok to use since it contains aloe juice?

silenttullip

I wondered this too but based on what Nonie said earlier in the thread I'm thinking they deep condition for a while right after rinsing out the baking soda. The baking soda does open the cuticle so it can receive the moisture from the deep treatment. If you're using the knot today mix I'd use it after deep conditioning and then use the mix and follow with a sealent and if baggying works for you then follow with that. You should have great moisture. I plan to try it if I get some moisture issues again.

So for those that do the baking soda treatment pre condish, do you followup with an acv rinse after rinsing out conditioner? Or just proceed with your leaveins and style? Does the baking soda treatment leave the cuticles to wide open? Is Kimmaytube's leavein ok to use since it contains aloe juice?

divachyk

Yes because low porosity is often forgotten about because it seems we're of the minority. I'm trying to ensure we remain unified and informed. :look: faithVA :yep:

Evolving78

HennaRo
i know this is an old thread and you might not have this problem anymore, but
you need more moisture. do you use a lot of henna? if so, stop. it acts like a protein.

mg1979

divachyk said:
Yes because low porosity is often forgotten about because it seems we're of the minority. I'm trying to ensure we remain unified and informed. :look: faithVA :yep:

I agree! I read somewhere that low porosity hair is considered healthy & some people seem to minimize our struggles as a result. Mine sure don't seem health when it's bone dry! I also wish everyone would state their porosity in their signature especially when raving about a product! Porosity makes all the difference in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

faithVA

I agree! I read somewhere that low porosity hair is considered healthy & some people seem to minimize our struggles as a result. Mine sure don't seem health when it's bone dry! I also wish everyone would state their porosity in their signature especially when raving about a product! Porosity makes all the difference in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I agree. People want to know hair type, relaxed or natural, but porosity changes everything. And without porosity taken into consideration most recommendations are useless to us.

suns4i6e

My favorite leave ins are ShidaNaturals Moisturizing Cream/Detangler, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Giovanni Direct Leave In. My hair absorbs all three very easily. Camille Rose was a pleasant surprise as my hair doesn't normally do well with butters and oils. But this absorbs well into wet hair.

HennaRo

HennaRo
i know this is an old thread and you might not have this problem anymore, but
you need more moisture. do you use a lot of henna? if so, stop. it acts like a protein.

Thanks for this. After reading this and a message that was left, I realized it is moisture. I dc'd last week with CJ Deep Fix and notice my hair felt much stronger, obviously now that I know this I will be dc'ing more often.

southerncitygirl

anything with moderate to high levels of ceramides.

redken products, aubrey's condtioners, claudies revitalizer mositurizers, and varying oils (grapeseed, walnut, kukui, sesame, hemp, sunflower, safflower, etc.) are a great place to start.

CocoGlow

anything with moderate to high levels of ceramides.

redken products, aubrey's condtioners, claudies revitalizer mositurizers, and varying oils (grapeseed, walnut, kukui, sesame, hemp, sunflower, safflower, etc.) are a great place to start.

@souterncitygirl

So you don't find ceramides coating and/or worsening the low porosity of your hair in any way?

I only ask b/c in the cermide thread it mentions this which made me a little scurred:

"How do ceramides benefit hair?

Ceramides form a seal on the cuticle layer, limiting the loss of protein molecules from the hair shaft; protecting the fiber against normal wear and tear from manipulation (washing & styling), UV rays, heat and chemical services; like dye, relaxers etc. This seal also helps to keep the cuticle flat and tightly packed; they fill in gaps in the cuticle, giving shine and keeping porosity low. Over time, hair loses ceramide molecules. From heat and chemical but also just from the hair istself aging. Older and/or damaged hair contains less ceramide than newer/healthier hair. So it makes sense to incorporate ceramides to maintain hair health.

*Note: Ceramides help limit the loss of protein and help strengthen the hair fiber. However they are not proteins, nor can they replace protein in your reggie. (Some people have found they need less protein though)"

faithVA

[USER=24745 said:
NappyRina[/USER];17580915]@souterncitygirl

So you don't find ceramides coating and/or worsening the low porosity of your hair in any way?

I only ask b/c in the cermide thread it mentions this which made me a little scurred:

"How do ceramides benefit hair?

Ceramides form a seal on the cuticle layer, limiting the loss of protein molecules from the hair shaft; protecting the fiber against normal wear and tear from manipulation (washing & styling), UV rays, heat and chemical services; like dye, relaxers etc. This seal also helps to keep the cuticle flat and tightly packed; they fill in gaps in the cuticle, giving shine and keeping porosity low. Over time, hair loses ceramide molecules. From heat and chemical but also just from the hair istself aging. Older and/or damaged hair contains less ceramide than newer/healthier hair. So it makes sense to incorporate ceramides to maintain hair health.

*Note: Ceramides help limit the loss of protein and help strengthen the hair fiber. However they are not proteins, nor can they replace protein in your reggie. (Some people have found they need less protein though)"

You spelled her name incorrectly in the mentions. So southerncitygirl won't get your last post.

Until she gets her, I will add my experience. I have low porosity and have find the lighter ceramides to work well with my hair. I like sunflower oil the best. When you do get water into your strands you still want to seal as much of the water in as possible. And I have found the ligher ceramides work well for that. I do the LOC method (water, sunflower oil, creamy moisturizer) and it works well.

southerncitygirl

@NappyRina

I use natural or mostly natural products so I don't have issues with product build-up and they all wash or rinse away easily.

Most of my ceramides come from my moisturizing and sealing or using my aubreys j.a.y, gbp or hsr conditioners.

I think if you used product containing a tons of cones mixed with synthetic ceramides there may be an potential issue with buildup.

I should also add that porosity hasn't been an issue for me personally but many on this forum with low porosity have had so many benefits froma dding them to their reggie.:yep:

divachyk

NappyRina, I use ceramides often and they work great for my hair. I use AOWC and HSR every week. I even use diluted AOWC as my daily moisturizer. I oil rinse every wash day with wheat germ and have sealed with hemp with no issues.

CocoGlow

faithVA southerncitygirl divachyk

Thanks ladies! I'll definitely give these oils a try and work them into my regimen b/c the benefits sound great :lick: ...

I was just scurred that they would make my low porosity worse based on the description

Question for everyone:
Anybody have success with castor oil? If so how do you use it?

It's heavy & thick but is supposed to have humectant properties.

southerncitygirl

I love castor NappyRina in addition to mositurizing and sealing my twists i run castor down the last 2-3 inches of my hair and my ends retain moisture better. i mix in in my oil mix sometimes as well. you could create an oil mix with 3 oils making one of them contain a moderate to high level or ceramides, castor then a basic oil like evoo, evco or avocado so you reap multiple benefits....start with creating your own mix with a empty 4-8oz bottle and making castor only 25-30% of your total mixture so its not to heavy. then you can tweak further as you go along.