product suggestions for low porosity hair?

CocoGlow

@SherylsTresses That makes sense then why Roux PC would work for you. I don't think it'd work well for low porosity. I think it'd make moisturizing the hair even harder to do.

OMG tell me about it! ... Roux porosity made my hair soooo haird! I was confused out of my mind b/c it was so highly recommended on hair forums to make the hair easier to detangle :nono:

In my opinion I think that what is traditionally passed on as tips for all natural hair is really just great tips for HIGHLY porous natural hair ... I cannot count how many bandwagons I jumped on that did not work for my hair and I could not for the life of me figure out why!

Things like applying leave-in conditioner to wet hair ... sealing hair with heavy butters/oils (like shea & castor oil) ... Roux Porosity Control, etc, etc all make my hair feel terrible

I've been natural since 2006 but I'm still learning....Within the last month I've learned that I cannot apply leave-in conditioners or moisturizers to my hair when it's wet ... my hair soaks up so much water that if I were to apply a leave-in my hair would feel like straw ... the water takes up all the space in my cuticle leaving no room for my hair to absorb the products (I recently read something like this & then it all made sense)... this led to me being really heavy handed with my leave-ins and butters to get some semblance of softness only to end up with greasy/crispy hair once my hair dried! :perplexed

Now I have to wait until my hair is about 80-100% dry before applying anything ... or if I do apply something to my wet hair I now know that I have to use only a little and be patient and not expect my hair to feel soft - then re-apply later to dry hair .. even when I apply products to dry hair I cannot be heavyhanded at all and I have to wait a few minutes sometimes before it feels moisturized ... I literally have to make myself stop applying product and give it a while to absorb or else I'll have a very moisturized but greasy head of hair, which means I will have to wash much sooner than I want to. :spinning:

I'm still learning more and more about LOW porosity and I really wish that the general tips on natural hair care would be divided up into Low & High porosity instead of all these blanket statements being passed around as law for all natural hair ... there are some very important differences between the 2 and had I known more about it I would have avoided a LOT of spending, stress & frustration dealing with my hair :ohwell:

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
somebody........please......help...m-me lol

would using bentonite clay more than just once a month be too much? please!! :)

CocoGlow

@NappyRina, when did your hair get so long! Beautiful! :notworthy

@Nonie

You think my hair is long?? **blushing**:grin: Thanks!!!

It's actually only collarbone but hey that's the longest it's been my whole life so :grin:

If you're refering to my avatar "bun" that's what I call a Roll n' Tuck bun (taking 4-6 sections of hair & tucking/pinning it towards the center to resemble a bun) - not an actual bun - don't have enough length for that yet since my hair is so dense - I might have to wait until I reach APL or BraStrap before I can wrap my dense hair into a bun :ohwell:

ETA: Sorry for hijacking this thread ....

Last edited:

Nonie

NappyRina, I was actually looking at your bangs. I remember when your hair was way shorter. Love it! Looks so thick too! :up:

Sorry OP.

CocoGlow

onesummer'sday10

I don't really know a definite answer for this regarding LOW porosity hair in particular....it seems some love it some hate it ... but like Protein, whether or not it works for the person could be based on various things in addition to porosity

I've used Bentonite Clay in the past and it made my hair feel VERY soft & fluffy & elongated upon rinsing (the softest my hair has ever felt!) ... but my hair did feel kind of dry later on which could have been caused by many factors such as the wrong recipe for my hair, not rinsing it out enough, the clay coating my strands, etc ...

Sorry I don't know if this is much of a help ... It seems like for everything else in this journey it might be a matter of trial & error for your hair ... I do hope others chime in with their experiences with bentonite clay

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
thank you!! NappyRina

It made my hair feel great too! Like I said earlier, I deep conditioned afterward and man! Felt like my hair was truly moisturized for the first time in forever. So I would really like to use it twice a month (as long as I'm not screwing up my hair in the long run).

yodie

No, I didn't know I had to test on a clean strand. Lol! Thanks. I'll try again on wash day.

CocoGlow

thank you!! @NappyRina

It made my hair feel great too! Like I said earlier, I deep conditioned afterward and man! Felt like my hair was truly moisturized for the first time in forever. So I would really like to use it twice a month (as long as I'm not screwing up my hair in the long run).

onesummer'sday10

Wow that's great .. it's nothing like feeling your hair truly moisturized for the first time after feeling it dry & brittle for so long!

I don't think I DC'd afterwards so that's probabaly why it left my hair a little weird after it dried .. some people use Bentonite Clay as their DC only, some as their cleanser only, some as their cleanser/conditioner all in one

I'm glad it's working for you and I don't think it will damage your hair using it twice a month .. if your hair likes it, it should continue to like it, but you should probably document your experiences each time until you are confident about making it a part of your regimen (like make a note of how you use it and what conditioners you use afterwards and whether you hair feels any different depending on your clay recipe that week or the conditioner you use in conjuction with it that week, etc) ... I've been experimenting with different products & regimens for a while & I have to take notes all the time so I can compare them to figure out what I'm doing wrong or right & go from there :yep:

Krystle~Hime

I used to ! you can do it !!
lots of people do it these days, and more even with this new product promoted by naptural85, it's bentonite clay mixed with aloe vera juice.
but as aloe vera brings down pH I don't know thing/know it will help with our hair porosity.
but I know, by my own experience i use to do it every week, sometimes every two weeks, and my hair used to like it !

Last edited:

hair4today

OMG tell me about it! ... Roux porosity made my hair soooo haird! I was confused out of my mind b/c it was so highly recommended on hair forums to make the hair easier to detangle :nono:

In my opinion I think that what is traditionally passed on as tips for all natural hair is really just great tips for HIGHLY porous natural hair ... I cannot count how many bandwagons I jumped on that did not work for my hair and I could not for the life of me figure out why!

Things like applying leave-in conditioner to wet hair ... sealing hair with heavy butters/oils (like shea & castor oil) ... Roux Porosity Control, etc, etc all make my hair feel terrible

I've been natural since 2006 but I'm still learning....Within the last month I've learned that I cannot apply leave-in conditioners or moisturizers to my hair when it's wet ... my hair soaks up so much water that if I were to apply a leave-in my hair would feel like straw ... the water takes up all the space in my cuticle leaving no room for my hair to absorb the products (I recently read something like this & then it all made sense)... this led to me being really heavy handed with my leave-ins and butters to get some semblance of softness only to end up with greasy/crispy hair once my hair dried! :perplexed

Now I have to wait until my hair is about 80-100% dry before applying anything ... or if I do apply something to my wet hair I now know that I have to use only a little and be patient and not expect my hair to feel soft - then re-apply later to dry hair .. even when I apply products to dry hair I cannot be heavyhanded at all and I have to wait a few minutes sometimes before it feels moisturized ... I literally have to make myself stop applying product and give it a while to absorb or else I'll have a very moisturized but greasy head of hair, which means I will have to wash much sooner than I want to. :spinning:

I'm still learning more and more about LOW porosity and I really wish that the general tips on natural hair care would be divided up into Low & High porosity instead of all these blanket statements being passed around as law for all natural hair ... there are some very important differences between the 2 and had I known more about it I would have avoided a LOT of spending, stress & frustration dealing with my hair :ohwell:
NappyRina, you're so right about distinguishing between caring for hair that is low porosity vs high or even normal porosity. I had chronic, dry hair and I tried so many of the top products, tips and techniques recommended for dry 4 b naturals and to no avail. My hair would be soft and moisturized on wash day but dry and brittle the rest of the week. Frequent co-washs wasn't for my hair either, too much manipulation caused breakage. What's a girl to do. I spent a ton of money and have a drawer full of products from brands such as KBB, Komaza, Qhemet, Darcy's, Afroveda, Hairveda, Oyin, Bee Mine, Shescentit, etc but I still had dry hair that was prone to breakage. A few weeks ago I stumbled on a thread on low porosity hair and then it all clicked. I had been using techniques meant for high porosity hair. The low porosity thread was the first one to explain what was going on with my hair. That my cuticles needed to be forced open to accept moisture and benefit from the fab products that I had been applying in vain. I did the float test and two weeks later my hair is still floating on top of the water..lol. Thanks to Nonie, divachyk, Amoreofcurls and a few other LHCFers who offered some great tips for low-po hair such as smothering hair with moisture, oil rinsing, DC with steam, light on the protein, applying leave in on damp not wet or dry hair, etc. I adjusted my regiment to incorporate most of these recommendations and lo and behold at long last I have soft, moisturized hair. I finally 'got it'. I now know what it takes to make my hair happy. The result is simply amazing. I've fallen in love with my hair rather than being frustrated by it. My advice to new naturals, first figure out your hair characteristics (density, texture, curl pattern and MOST IMPORTANTLY porosity) before going on a spending spree searching for your holy Grails. HHG.

yodie

hair4today, great post. I'm gonna search for threads on low porosity for research purposes. I'm going to redo this test on wash day as we'll. Are you ladies dc'ing on dry clean hair or dry dirty hair? Are many of you washing and dc'ing overnight?

hair4today

hair4today, great post. I'm gonna search for threads on low porosity for research purposes. I'm going to redo this test on wash day as we'll. Are you ladies dc'ing on dry clean hair or dry dirty hair? Are many of you washing and dc'ing overnight?
I pre-poo with a light protein DC on 1 week old hair, steam the DC for 30 mins, wash, oil rinse, then apply moisturizing DC on clean, damp hair for 30 mins, final rinse, apply leave in to 80% air dried hair and style. Works like a charm.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
@onesummer'sday10

Wow that's great .. it's nothing like feeling your hair truly moisturized for the first time after feeling it dry & brittle for so long!

I don't think I DC'd afterwards so that's probabaly why it left my hair a little weird after it dried .. some people use Bentonite Clay as their DC only, some as their cleanser only, some as their cleanser/conditioner all in one

I'm glad it's working for you and I don't think it will damage your hair using it twice a month .. if your hair likes it, it should continue to like it, but you should probably document your experiences each time until you are confident about making it a part of your regimen (like make a note of how you use it and what conditioners you use afterwards and whether you hair feels any different depending on your clay recipe that week or the conditioner you use in conjuction with it that week, etc) ... I've been experimenting with different products & regimens for a while & I have to take notes all the time so I can compare them to figure out what I'm doing wrong or right & go from there :yep:

You're right, just keep using it and keeping a close eye on it to make sure everything is going okay. I was worried it might make my hair too porous? But I will just monitor it closely :) thank you soo much! you were very helpful!

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I used to ! you can do it !!
lots of people do it these days, and more even with this new product promoted by naptural85, it's bentonite clay mixed with aloe vera juice.
but as aloe vera brings down pH I don't know thing/know it will help with our hair porosity.
but I know, by my own experience i use to do it every week, sometimes every two weeks, and my hair used to like it !

Thank you!! Good to know it didn't negatively affect your hair :) I was worried that it might be too often if I did it more than once a month.

And just general question (anybody can answer) Can bentonite clay remove cones? I was cone free for probably 2 months, went back to cones because I missed some of my fav conditioners and realized that my hair prefers being cone free. So I want to make sure that I don't have any more cones on my hair but would rather use the bentonite clay over using a clarifying poo...

anybody know?

yodie

I pre-poo with a light protein DC on 1 week old hair, steam the DC for 30 mins, wash, oil rinse, then apply moisturizing DC on clean, damp hair for 30 mins, final rinse, apply leave in to 80% air dried hair and style. Works like a charm.

What con do you use for your light protein?
I wash every other week, so I'll have some build up from moisturizing/sealing. I've been on this board for a couple of years and I think I'm just now beginning to get a clue about my hair. Sheesh!

CocoGlow

Thank you!! Good to know it didn't negatively affect your hair :) I was worried that it might be too often if I did it more than once a month.

And just general question (anybody can answer) Can bentonite clay remove cones? I was cone free for probably 2 months, went back to cones because I missed some of my fav conditioners and realized that my hair prefers being cone free. So I want to make sure that I don't have any more cones on my hair but would rather use the bentonite clay over using a clarifying poo...

anybody know?

I have a question about cones too ...
Do any of you ladies with LOW porosity successfully use products with silicones?

I know cones leave a coating on the hair which a lot of those with HIGH porosity love b/c they have trouble sealing their cuticles .. but cones can be detrimental to those of us w/ LOW porosity b/c we don't need any more help in the sealing dept!

I've been avoiding them like the plague .. BUT I recently caved out of curiosity and purchased the highly raved about Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment from Sallys when they had a sale $5.99 per 16oz jar (regularly $10.99) - it contains Amodimethicone which is supposed to be less coating and easier to wash out than some other cones .. supposedly... supposedly...:drunk:

I used it last night after shampooing and I was surprised, my hair kind of liked it upon application ... it had a nice consistency (not too thin or too thick), decent scent, it smoothed my ends and overall felt good going on my hair .... my hair felt different upon rinsing though ...a little gummy and I could feel a coating on my strands that I never feel from conditioners without cones....it wasn't sticky or hard, just different ... don't know if I like that feeling....

My hair is still drying as I type, so I cannot say for sure that I love it/hate it but so far it's drying soft...I'll have to see how my hair feels days from now & whether it will be easy or difficult to moisturize duing the week and how easy/hard this will be to wash out .... I hope I don't regret this....:look:

What have been your experinces with silicones? For those that do use them, does the type of silicone matter?

CocoGlow

Oh just FYI ..

Those ladies over on the forum over on NaturallyCurly.com have some great threads regarding porosity & even have a section specifically for Low Porosity here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/low-porosity/

and I did a general search "Low Porosity" and found a bunch of posts in various sections of the forum here:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/search_results?q=low+porosity&Search=Search

Some of the info doesn't apply to me as a 4B natural gal (like seeking curl definition & fighting frizz) but there are some great tips...explanations and links to scientific info breaking down Low Porosity

One thing I noticed ... even though there is a lot of info out & there and some basic do's & don'ts, this is still going to be trial & error :spinning:

Last edited:

yodie

I re-did the porosity tets with a freshly washed strand. Its been floating for awhile, so I guess I am a 4 a/b low porosity gal.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
NappyRina - I relaxed and can do cones on rollerset or flat ironed hair only. My air dried hair hates cones! I don't really get in to the "type" of cones because my hair seems to situationally accept and/or reject them based on how I'm wearing my hair. I've been rollersetting lately and my hair accepts cones just fine. When I go back to air drying, I know cones are a no no. Just learned through trial and error.

@NappyRina, you're so right about distinguishing between caring for hair that is low porosity vs high or even normal porosity. I had chronic, dry hair and I tried so many of the top products, tips and techniques recommended for dry 4 b naturals and to no avail. My hair would be soft and moisturized on wash day but dry and brittle the rest of the week. Frequent co-washs wasn't for my hair either, too much manipulation caused breakage. What's a girl to do. I spent a ton of money and have a drawer full of products from brands such as KBB, Komaza, Qhemet, Darcy's, Afroveda, Hairveda, Oyin, Bee Mine, Shescentit, etc but I still had dry hair that was prone to breakage. A few weeks ago I stumbled on a thread on low porosity hair and then it all clicked. I had been using techniques meant for high porosity hair. The low porosity thread was the first one to explain what was going on with my hair. That my cuticles needed to be forced open to accept moisture and benefit from the fab products that I had been applying in vain. I did the float test and two weeks later my hair is still floating on top of the water..lol. Thanks to @Nonie, @divachyk, @Amoreofcurls and a few other LHCFers who offered some great tips for low-po hair such as smothering hair with moisture, oil rinsing, DC with steam, light on the protein, applying leave in on damp not wet or dry hair, etc. I adjusted my regiment to incorporate most of these recommendations and lo and behold at long last I have soft, moisturized hair. I finally 'got it'. I now know what it takes to make my hair happy. The result is simply amazing. I've fallen in love with my hair rather than being frustrated by it. My advice to new naturals, first figure out your hair characteristics (density, texture, curl pattern and MOST IMPORTANTLY porosity) before going on a spending spree searching for your holy Grails. HHG.

hair4today - Congrats and keep doing what works for you. I find that my hair differs slightly than some of the things you posted in bold. I've been testing out using a balanced protein reconstructor weekly and so far my hair likes it. When air drying, I apply my leave ins on sopping wet hair. If I allow the water to escape from my strands, I have a hard time getting moisture to penetrate back through the strands. I moisturize 1x daily and rarely seal. I don't feel that I have to smother my hair with moisture like I use too. I attribute this to receiving good moisture on wash day, thus my hair retains good moisture throughout the week.

CocoGlow

I have a question about cones too ...
Do any of you ladies with LOW porosity successfully use products with silicones?

I know cones leave a coating on the hair which a lot of those with HIGH porosity love b/c they have trouble sealing their cuticles .. but cones can be detrimental to those of us w/ LOW porosity b/c we don't need any more help in the sealing dept!

I've been avoiding them like the plague .. BUT I recently caved out of curiosity and purchased the highly raved about Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment from Sallys when they had a sale $5.99 per 16oz jar (regularly $10.99) - it contains Amodimethicone which is supposed to be less coating and easier to wash out than some other cones .. supposedly... supposedly...:drunk:

I used it last night after shampooing and I was surprised, my hair kind of liked it upon application ... it had a nice consistency (not too thin or too thick), decent scent, it smoothed my ends and overall felt good going on my hair .... my hair felt different upon rinsing though ...a little gummy and I could feel a coating on my strands that I never feel from conditioners without cones....it wasn't sticky or hard, just different ... don't know if I like that feeling....

My hair is still drying as I type, so I cannot say for sure that I love it/hate it but so far it's drying soft...I'll have to see how my hair feels days from now & whether it will be easy or difficult to moisturize duing the week and how easy/hard this will be to wash out .... I hope I don't regret this....:look:

What have been your experinces with silicones? For those that do use them, does the type of silicone matter?

UPDATE: ...... So my hair dried crispy!!:lol: :ohwell:

@NappyRina - I relaxed and can do cones on rollerset or flat ironed hair only. My air dried hair hates cones! I don't really get in to the "type" of cones because my hair seems to situationally accept and/or reject them based on how I'm wearing my hair. I've been rollersetting lately and my hair accepts cones just fine. When I go back to air drying, I know cones are a no no. Just learned through trial and error.

@hair4today - Congrats and keep doing what works for you. I find that my hair differs slightly than some of the things you posted in bold. I've been testing out using a balanced protein reconstructor weekly and so far my hair likes it. When air drying, I apply my leave ins on sopping wet hair. If I allow the water to escape from my strands, I have a hard time getting moisture to penetrate back through the strands. I moisturize 1x daily and rarely seal. I don't feel that I have to smother my hair with moisture like I use too. I attribute this to receiving good moisture on wash day, thus my hair retains good moisture throughout the week.

divachyk

You may have a point about air drying with cones vs. using heat ... my hair air dried crispy... I plan to experiment with flat ironing one day, so I might compare how my hair feels with cones when using heat ...but from here on out I will stay far away from them! Learned my lesson :nono:

Last night I also applied my leave-ins to my wet/damp towel dried hair and although my hair felt horrible when I was applying them (as usual), my hair seemed to soften up as I twisted & let air dry ... it's still crispy but that's due to the silicone in the deep conditioner I used ...

I'll definitely have to re-moisturize today ..but it's good to know that I don't necessarily have to wait until my hair dries in order to apply my leave-in...like I said before, my hair will not feel great at first and i will have to reapply later ... my hair seems to LOVES it when I apply water-based leave-ins to dry hair - it softens up much faster, as long as I don't use too much :yep:

As for sealing I'm considering not sealing at all either .. well I haven't been sealing this Summer... my hair loves the humidity - so many naturals seems to hate it but I LOVE how much softer my hair feels in humid weather!! I might have to seal in the Winter, I don't know ... I think since the water-based leave-ins I use also contain oils or butters, I might not need the extra oil/butter to seal .. we shall see ...

divachyk

NappyRina - Sorry that your hair air dried crispy. Been there and done that many times before. I use zero cones when air drying. This might be the route you have to take also. Perhaps try applying your leave-in on sopping wet hair. I don't even attempt to dry up the excess water. I literally final rinse and step out of the shower to immediately applying my leave-ins while it's drenched soaking wet. Keep us posted.

CocoGlow

@NappyRina - Sorry that your hair air dried crispy. Been there and done that many times before. I use zero cones when air drying. This might be the route you have to take also. Perhaps try applying your leave-in on sopping wet hair. I don't even attempt to dry up the excess water. I literally final rinse and step out of the shower to immediately applying my leave-ins while it's drenched soaking wet. Keep us posted.

divachyk

Yup crispy, dry, terrible .. but I'm glad I did this experiment b/c it just confirms what I've known all along .. I tried silicones a long time ago and got the same result ... then I avoided them like the plague .. then of course I got curious again .. and well, I won't be doing that again :nono:

I have to clarify later this week with one of my sulfate shampoos I have lying around collecting dust & follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to get my hair back .. I wonder how my leave-ins will work on my cone coated strands now :look:

Questions: When you apply your leave-ins to your soaking wet hair does it feel like straw like mine does - then get softer as it dries? How much do you use? Do you feel the need to use more later or every day after that? Also are your leave-ins milky, creamy, buttery?

divachyk

@NappyRina:
No, my hair doesn't feel like straw. Your leave in my not be agreeing with your hair. It took me a very long while to find the perfect leave in. I've tried many leave ins but I always come back to the tried and true. Mine is, Bee Mine Hair Milk (quarter size for entire head), Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer (quarter size for entire head), Avocado Oil (dime size for entire head). This has been the perfect balance of products. I use Bee Mine Luscious as my daily moisturizer and seal with avocado oil most often when I choose to seal so all of my products are multi-purpose. Bee Mine Hair Milk is the only product that is a wash day product only.

Hair Milk - milky creamy
Luscious - whipped creamy
Avocado - oil substance

To achieve a good hair balance, you need to check your entire regimen. My hair doesn't enjoy overwhelming amounts of avj or glycerin so even if I'm doing all things right, my hair misbehaves when I use products containing these ingredients within excess.

ETA: I skipped a question, my bad. My hair feels great for the rest of the week because I ensure my hair is properly moisturized on wash day. I don't, however, go days without moisturizing. I always moisturize at least 1x daily. I might opt to seal if I want some added bling but most times I don't. I seal a little more frequently in the winter than summer. Using quality products and refining my technique has improved my situation big time.

Last edited:

hair4today

What con do you use for your light protein?
I wash every other week, so I'll have some build up from moisturizing/sealing. I've been on this board for a couple of years and I think I'm just now beginning to get a clue about my hair. Sheesh!
yodie I rotate between a few light protein conditioners: SSI Fortifying Masque, SSI Okra Reconstructor, Komaza Moisture Therapy, Boe Crece Pelo & Doctor Cabello Multiaction Treatment. They're all fabulous but my absolute favorites are the Komaza and Shescentit conditioners.

Curlykale

Thanks for this thread!
I just had an epiphany thanks to your info:

I had very hard water and my hair was normal porosity. Since purchasing a potent water filter, I've been having problems with moisture. This frustration brought me to many experiments (clays, acidic rinses, and now a protein overload).
Then I realized that my hair has become low porosity with the water filter! The chlorine and minerals were increasing its porosity, but since I "was born low", I got normal thanks to the hard water. (People who are born normal, become high. lol)

Not saying that the hard water was good, but I guess a baking soda solution before my deep conditioning session could bring me back to the old days: I prefer it to removing the filter, at least I know what is in my water and I can use ph strips. I will still make sure the ph is not to high so that I won't cause any damage (max 6)

Last edited:

Curlykale

Low porosity hair is more prone to an excessive accumulation of protein if deep conditioning products are used and will feel very stiff and straw-like. (from Naturallycurly.com)

This is probably why I suddenly had a protein overload: my hair tolerated more protein when I had very hard water and it wasn't low porosity and I didn't know what was happening. So I kept doing my usual treatments, but the changed porosity broke my balance. So, probably moisture/protein balance is strictly related to porosity.

I hope this info prevents my mistake from being repeated by someone else. I could have never guessed this without your posts, once again LHCF has done it.

Last edited:

divachyk

Curlykale - hmmm so you're saying that a water filter caused the low porosity? I have a water filter also. However, I wasn't being as watchful of my regimen before installing the water filter. Therefore, I have nothing to compare it too. Interesting.

Curlykale

:yep: that is my theory since I had never owned a filter before may 2011 and my hair always sucked up quickly moisturizers and conditioners, I didn't use heat or DC overnight when there was chlorine in it and I used eggs without a protein overload.
But anyway, my water was incredibly hard (I could see the chlorine on my skin).