Pre Poo'ing vs Deep Con. vs Co-washing?

Which of these 3 do you get Optimal Results?

• Pre 'pooing

Votes: 94 12.3%
  • Deep Conditioning

Votes: 417 54.7%
  • Co-Washing

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 120 15.7%

• Total voters
for me it deep consitioning with heat. i co wash and pre poo too but i know nothing saves my hair like a good 30 minute deep conditioning.

although i will say that nothing beats a coconut milk, evoo and honey pre poo. that stuff is amazing. when i big chop coconut milk will be my main pre poo.

I've tried to pre poo and cowash none of which really worked for me, but weekely deep condish..just what the doctor ordered!

I chose not sure because I pre-poo and deep condition faithfully, and I cannot choose one over the other. I don't co-wash consistently enough to judge.

I pre-poo'd with some cheap conditioner mixed with coconut oil for the first time yesterday then I poo'd and dc w/MNT...... I really like the results....I think I will be adding this to my regimen. :yep:
I tried the same thing this weekend. My hair turned out nice.

I am a avid cowasher and only prepoo as needed or as I feel like. Hardly ever dc any more.

Well DCing on dry hair is doing great for me, pre-pooing is too time consuming, so I'm going to start co-washing and see how that works, but if that doesn't work then I'm going back to pre-pooing and shampooing......

Are you washing letting your hair dry than dcing? That's real dedication.

I just started co-washing and pre 'pooing. Pre 'poo and co-wash have helped with detangling significantly and I always DC. It's a habit. So, I don't know which one works.

pre-poo has yet to help me do anything
co wash helps me alot
dc only helps alot if i do it overnight because i dont have access to heat at all except a blow dryer
but when i do dc overnight my hair comes out really soft

I voted DC because I love DC w/Heat. Steamer, Heat Cap, Dryer etc...I am attempting to use less & less 'poo only when I am clarifying to remove buildup and to really rid my hair from product overload.

Recently, I have been using Conditioner for my "wash" If I ever feel the need to really Shampoo, more than likely, I would do a Pre-Poo First. Especially if the ph level of the Shampoo was higher than acceptable.:yep:

Last edited:
i prepoo with leonor greyl palm oil and motions silk protein conditioner. then i rinse that out really well and cowash with HE LTR. i DC once a week with motions SPC and followup with either silicon mix or lustrasilk as a leave in, sealed with doo gro mega thick growth oil. doing this and not using any heat has really helped me reduce breakage.

I picked pre-poo - I found that no matter what I do co wash or deep conditioner - my hair is exceptionally manageable when I pre-poo. I co wash on Wed and Shampoo/deep condition on Saturday... I didn't pre-poo once or twice and I noticed the difference.. so I pre-poo all the time.. but I know deep conditioning is essential to my regimen because its what initially kept the hair on my head and not the floor:grin:

I believe that deep conditioning provides me with optimal results and then, I would say co-washing because I do it daily or every other day.

In order: Pre-pooing, Co-washing, and then DC. I have yet to find a DC that works for me. I'm thinking of doing some of the natural receipes(sp) I've seen on here and other forums.

Deep conditioning all the way. Yall got me to wanting to do a deep condition right now! I don't see the point of pre pooing and I don't see the point of co washing either.

In order: Pre-pooing, Co-washing, and then DC. I have yet to find a DC that works for me. I'm thinking of doing some of the natural receipes(sp) I've seen on here and other forums.

I don't see the point of co washing if you are going to do a dc anyway. isn't that conditioning twice?? and don't you pre poo with conditioner that is 3x the conditioner. Won't you over condition your hair??

Pre-poo'ing followed by poo and DC works best for me in the winter when it's so cold and the air is so dry. It's too cold to daily co-wash where I live.

Co-washing daily or every other day and immediately sealing and wet bunning works best for me in the summer b/c it really helps me stay on my moisture game in the hot weather.

Deep conditioning all the way. Yall got me to wanting to do a deep condition right now! I don't see the point of pre pooing and I don't see the point of co washing either.

Some people say that when you DC on dry hair (or pre poo) your hair absorbs more of the conditioner/oils since your hair isn't full of water.

I get that point, but say you haven't washed your hair in a week or so & you've been moisturizing and sealing every day...wouldn't all that product build up act as a barrier (which would lead me to believe that you don't get optimal conditioning benefits from pre-pooing)? I prefer DCing on hair that has been freshly washed, thoroughly towel dried, and then partially air dried (NOT Damp, maybe 50-60% dry)…that way I get rid of product build up and a lot of the water left in my hair.

Co-washing is great too especially when stretching relaxers because my hair can get dry (a nice alternative to shampoo every once in a while : ) )

Deep conditioning right now, because it helps to soften up my new growth, and keeps it from breaking off at the line of demarcation.:yep:

I dont prepoo or co wash but, I do DC. I found deep conditioning to be the most beneficial. I DC my hair twice a week for at least 2 hours each time. I usually mix in my home batched mix of oils....:lick: and my hair comes out very soft and shiny.

Prepoo/dc'ing on dry hair was initially recommended for those with fine hair (like myself) by some stylists as the traditional method of conditioning (after shampooing) tends to weigh the hair down. I have benefited from both methods but I prefer dc'ing on dry hair with as it keeps me from having to keep jumping in and out of the shower (I do wash my hair every other day) then shampooing and following up with Kenra MS or MOP Extreme Moisture

I don't pre-poo because usually my hair has oils/buildup on it before a wash so the pre-poo products wouldn't penetrate well anyway. I do co-washing and dc'ing/deep co-washes. I rarely use shampoo, but even then I don't usually pre-poo. I like to keep it simple, and all those steps for me is too much work. CW and deep conditioner afterwards is how I largely maintain my hair.

I voted unsure, because I am just getting into the routine. However I do know that my hair does LOVEs conditioner no matter how it applied.

I voted DC - I do it at minimum twice a week, makes my hair strong and moisturized at the same time. Although, I have CO washed before, I only do it when I'm working out hard and don't have to work the next day. I like CO washing. For pre-poo, I haven't seen the benefit unless I'm using Amla Oil. I don't use my Amla as much right now.

I can't vote because I do all three.

I always pre-poo to detangle my hair before I wash. I use warmed henna gloss or warmed conditioner to pre-poo with. I normally pre-poo over night.

I rinse my hair for a few minutes and then wash my hair with WEN. I never use shampoo.

I always Deep Condition my hair with every was for 30 minutes under a heat cap.

Back