Opposite Day

Ishtar

Instead of good hair stories, we will all be sharing bad hair stories. Instead of dishing hair growth and progress we will talk about that dark day when we lost clumps of hair in the bathroom. Get ready for some pain and horror stories that will make your scalp hurt. Ready? I'll go first.

It was a bright day, seemingly no different from any other day...

My mama walked into my room and told me to come into the living room. She was going to relax my hair. The day before I had taken out my braids. Microbraids to be exact. My mama lit a cigarette and ran her hands through my head and demanded that I wash it. :blush:It was much too greasy.

As soon as my hair air dried she picked up the rat tail comb and dragged the relaxer from root to tip.:blush:40 mintues later it was time to wash out the chemicals. The relaxer was actually supposed to be left on for only 20 minutesx but she always left it on for about 40 mintues:blush: because she said I had thicker hair or she would wait until I started complaining. Sometimes she would still leave it in longer anyway. She looked for a bottle of neutralizer and couldn't find any so she used dawn detergent.:blush:

After I took a shower after lathering and rinsing 5-6 times I let her blow dry my hair and style it.

1 week later I sat in front of her as she combed through my hair to make a ponytail. All the hair in the nape area was gone.:blush: Another week went by and the perm ate up into the crown area. I went from APL to .5 inches of hair after a big chop.

Last edited:
I've told it before but I don't mind posting it again for any newbies that end up reading this thread. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake I made or they'll stop making those mistakes. :grin:

I had been wearing the Jheri Curl for years and I was tired of it so I wanted a relaxer. I wanted a short bob style so I went to my stylist to get my relaxer done. I had a lot of new growth so she cut off most of my hair that had the perm in it (or so we thought) and put in a relaxer. My hair was cute for about a week and a half but I started seriously losing hair after one week. I thought that Luster's Pink Oil "moisturizer" would keep my hair moisturized and shiny. Huh! That mess was a joke! :perplexed

The second weekend, I think it was Saturday morning, I was combing my hair in the bathroom and just about ALL of it fell out. All of it in the sink. I was left with peach fuzz and a Homer Simpson comb-over! I nearly had a breakdown and the people at church looking at me crazy because I suddenly started wearing a wig didn't help. Thankfully some new growth came in after a couple of months and I started getting my hair braided (and that's a whole other batch of experiences right there:drunk:) At the time it almost felt like the end of the world when I saw all that broken hair in the sink, but it wasn't. Thankfully I can laugh about it now. :grin:

Oh yeah, and what I learned from that particular experience was: DON'T put a relaxer on top of another perm or vice versa unless you don't mind losing lots if hair, and use good quality products that actually WORK for your hair.

Last edited:
Okay, I would say for my story. Don't wash your hair before a relaxer and use a neuralizer and not dawn detergent. Also, don't relax from root to tip.

There was a little girl and her mother who lived with our family for a couple of months. Her mom relaxed her head and washed it only two times with the N shampoo. All the girl's edges fell out. Kids at school starting calling her " The No Edge Pizza." It's funny now but that had to be traumatizing.

Instead of good hair stories, we will all be sharing bad hair stories. Instead of dishing hair growth and progress we will talk about that dark day when we lost clumps of hair in the bathroom. Get ready for some pain and horror stories that will make your scalp hurt. Ready? I'll go first.

It was a bright day, seemingly no different from any other day...

My mama walked into my room and told me to come into the living room. She was going to relax my hair. The day before I had taken out my braids. Microbraids to be exact. My mama lit a cigarette and ran her hands through my head and demanded that I wash it. :blush:It was much too greasy.

As soon as my hair air dried she picked up the rat tail comb and dragged the relaxer from root to tip.:blush:40 mintues later it was time to wash out the chemicals. The relaxer was actually supposed to be left on for only 20 minutesx but she always left it on for about 40 mintues:blush: because she said I had thicker hair or she would wait until I started complaining. Sometimes she would still leave it in longer anyway. She looked for a bottle of neutralizer and couldn't find any so she used dawn detergent.:blush:

After I took a shower after lathering and rinsing 5-6 times I let her blow dry my hair and style it.

1 week later I sat in front of her as she combed through my hair to make a ponytail. All the hair in the nape area was gone.:blush: Another week went by and the perm ate up into the crown area. I went from APL to .5 inches of hair after a big chop.

wow. :nono: my heart sank as i read that. so sorry. trust that your hair recovered..

so sorry for what happened to you. my worst story was when i was taking my hair down from micro braids that i had worn for almost 6 months swearing:(yea i no) but any way when i got all the braids out my hair was in a huge afro the moment i put water on it, it seemed as all the hair began to knot and mat.:wallbash: it was soooo bad that i had to go to walmart at 2am to buy a perm because i couldnt even get my fingers thru it.:cry: it was a disaster but i survived and im here now:grin:

When we were living in Texas I had a wonderful stylist that took great care of my hair and actually had it flourishing for the first time in my life. Well it came time to move to Germany and since I knew there wasnt gonna b anyone I could go to for hair purposes, I decided to get some products to take with me. I recalled my stylist telling me that she uses protein on my hair everytime so whn I was picking up products I asked for a protein treatment( I bet u guys can c where this is going) And the Asain woman recommemded Aphogee 2 step.

So anyway we get to Germany and I begin to wash and religiously use the Aphogee on my hair like clockwork. And the first 2 times, I absolutely loved the results! It was shiny and strong feeling. However, shortly after that my hair began to break so horibly! Whenever I combed it, touched it, when the wind blew it didnt matter I could not keep hair on my head.

So what did I do? I did an internet search and found out that if your hair is breaking u should add guess what? PROTEIN!!!

So yall know what I did right? Upped how often I was using the 2-step thinking I wasnt doing it right. Long story short, I lost a ton of hair b4 I found LHCF and discovered that I was in serious protein overload and needed some moisture. I've turned it around now and I just ahve to say THANK YOU !! Yall r the best! U literally saved my hair

I have one of my brothers. This had me laughing for days,

He called himself growing out an afro but my mama was like " Oh no, you gonna get this cut. You are not going to embarrass me."

She hired this guy who was about eighty and put some clippers in his head.

So now I have to tell you that my brother has type 4b hair. This man cut his hair and left a long piece in the front like my brother was Elvis Presley. This fool was walking around looking like this:

68-2.gif
with naps. I laughed my behind off until he went and got some scissors and cut his hair and even as possible.

wow. :nono: my heart sank as i read that. so sorry. trust that your hair recovered..

Yes, I am currently a little below shoulder length. She does not do my hair anymore. When I was around 4 I had close to waist length hair. It was at that time about a type 3 but it was very curly.

She relaxed it just because it was long and she wanted to see it long. My hair was done at that point. It came out time and time again. When it grew long she would end up overprocessing it. Finally it stopped recovering until I learned how to get it healthy and keep it healthy.

Back