DIYers who trim on relaxer day ***** Question for you *****

hairdrama:{

Hello ladies,

I'm getting ready to relax next week and I'll be doing a much needed trim (have not trimmed or dusted for a year :blush:). This will be my first time self-trimming so I'll take my time. I was wondering, whenever you trim on relaxer day do you:

1. Get your hair super straight = you flat iron
2. Get your hair straight with some wave patterns = roller set + wrap

I usually don't flat iron my hair on relaxer day 'cause I don't want to abuse my hair but this is my first time trimming, what do you all suggest?

I also do color showers on my relaxer day so the whole process (relax, color shower, dry & style...:look:) requires a lot of time and manipulation.

What do you recommend???

I think either way is appropriate, as long as you get your hair reasonably straight. Your hair could get easily jacked if you cut it when your hair is misrepresenting its length by being wavy/wiry, so if you can rollerset than straighten it by blowing the hair out, go for it, flat ironing might be easier.

I get it straight by flat ironing it.. I couldn't imagine trying to trim if my hair wasn't straight....

Last edited:
Great question OP! I just texalxed, dried under a dryer (no rollers), flat ironed and dusted my ends with no problem TODAY. I like to do it this way because my hair curls tight in rollers. Flat ironed straight hair helps me see my ends better as well!!! HTH!

Although I'm not relaxed, I've always been a DIY trimmer. First, I go through my hair and do an intensive search and destroy to remove split ends throughout my hair. Next, I part my hair in half, into to pigtails. Make sure that the pig tails are evenly divided in half. After I've made sure they're even, I secure each into a low, tight ponytail. Using a hand held mirror to check the back, make sure that they are equal distance apart and equal heights. I then bring each ponytail to the front and using a mirror, I see where they fall (i.e. 3 in. below collarbone length). I trim about a 1/4" -1/2" of each one, but I always compare the two after I've trimmed one so that I make sure not to cut to much and to make sure that they are both even. I hope this helps :).

I trim whenever my hair needs it. Not on relaxer day because it may not be necessary.

I flat iron my hair as straight as possible. I section it into four sections and then taking the first section go through it in rows (from middle of the head to the ear) and trim it evenly (IF NEEDED). Sometimes one row is fine, while the other has frayed ends. I usually do not see splits which is good.

At the end of doing all this I pull the hair into two pigtails that hang over the front of my shoulders and make sure they are even in length.

I only trim the tiniest amount the first time through my hair. You can always trim more if needed, but you can't add it back if you take off too much.

as straight as possible. I plan on telling him to blow dry after my relaxer and not bumping the ends so I can go home and trim myself.

1. Get your hair super straight = you flat iron
2. Get your hair straight with some wave patterns = roller set + wrap

I know this is old, but Imma answer anyway.....

#2 is what I do when I self-relax.

I decided to give up direct heat, so I get my hair straight with a ponytail rollerset. I also decided to do a slight trim with every relaxer since I only do around 3 relaxers a year. Otherwise I'd forget and go 2-3 years without trimming! :blush:

Back