Nits!!!

But have any of them spent hundreds of dollars for the privilege of dealing with it? My non-black co-workers definitely freak out when they think they have transported a child that has lice. They immediately want the lice spray to spray down their car.

I understand your points,but I'm not going to stress about this any more.I was upset at first.If they dont exchange the hair,I'll sell it.This was an inconvenience to me,but its not that serious.Yes,I feel they could've removed them before sending them out to me.I'll just stick with my regular brands for now on,the Mane Depot just had me curious for a moment.

My co-workers try not to get them,hence them calling me to deal with pts with lice.If it happens,they dont freak out they get into clean/treat mode.This is nothing new to them.If theres a way to not have to deal with it of course they take that route.

I think I've heard it all now. I agree with lovegymnasts. I know other people don't think it's this deep, but to me it is - as black people we have got to stop accepting whatever someone chooses to give us. We cannot complain about the way we are treated and then accept the treatment at the same time. This is why we receive such bad treatment and inferior products and service - because we accept it. Sorry OP, I hope you find a solution to your problem, but if it was me I absolutely would not keep the hair - it would be returned and complaints would be filed. I work too hard for my money to spend it with someone who has such disregard for me that they would send me an infested product. I fail to understand why people think it's okay...

I'm disgusted. There is no way that hair would be touching my head. It's not that serious.

Virgin hair = possibility of nit shells
It's really that simple. Why do ya'll thinking they use all those chemicals on non virgin weave????

It's also very unlikely that you would find live lice on a weave. They need human skin flakes to survive.

This really bears repeating......LMAO at some of these responses.

I have heard of nits on virgin hair but I didnt realize it was that common as some have said. I still want virgin hair BUT if I saw any nits it would freak me out so much that even after it was cleaned I would still be itching like crazy..however, just like someone else said...does it make it any better if they just cleaned nits and lice off prior to them sending it? It just makes me itch lol
Good luck OP. I know someone will take it off your hands.

I have heard of nits on virgin hair but I didnt realize it was that common as some have said. I still want virgin hair BUT if I saw any nits it would freak me out so much that even after it was cleaned I would still be itching like crazy..however, just like someone else said...does it make it any better if they just cleaned nits and lice off prior to them sending it? It just makes me itch lol

I've heard about it to,but like I've said this is the first time it happened to me.Now I believe the other companies are just more thorough about cleaning prior to sending.Like I said though its not just the virgin hair.One lady got some from the BSS,just regular human with nits.

I'm almost a year into my transition,and I just got tired of the new growth.I'm going to try another protective style for a while.

Horrifying get a full refund damn. I need to wash my hair just reading this has me scratching and i have not worna weave in years.

How much money can you make back from hair with nits? I mean seriously, it can't be worth that much now surely?

How much money can you make back from hair with nits? I mean seriously, it can't be worth that much now surely?

If I wanted to,I can sell it for what I paid.Like I previously posted already,I do have more than one buyer already.Like I also posted before,I will be returning it to the vendor for an exchange.Nits in virgin hair is not a problem evidently for a lot of people,especially on BHM.

Compared to what I have bought in the past,what I paid for this hair was nothing.It was around $250,go look at Indique,Bliss,or EP's prices for 8oz.Their hair never came with nits,you get what you pay for.

Before hair boards did we know nits could possibly be in virgin hair? Is it possible that the itches we got or heard about from friends and family were this lil bugs? Just because they washed the nits out of some of the hair at the factory instead of us washing it out at home does that make the weave ok?

We all know that the gov't allows a certain % of mouse droppings in our food right?

Yup 5% foreign material is allowed, thats so gross!

When I purchased my hair - the seller discussed nits and how you have to pick them out, and the disinfection process. Some vendors take the time, some don't - and that is just wrong. Even if I cleaned it, I would be paranoid. OP good luck, suggestion, sale it to someone who is willing to deal with it and clean it properly, since you are not sure. You said you were curious about Mane Depot, and I think your curiousity has been solved. Use the money to go to a vendor that will thououghly clean the hair. Again, good luck.

Yeah, good luck OP, but never once have I found Nits or lice in my BSS hair. I'm also not purchasing the more expensive Virgin Indian hair, so that may be the reason. This is a protective style that shouldn't be so complicated. If I spend lots of money on hair, I shouldn't have to 'treat' it afterwards.

I've never heard of nits in weave hair and I think its unacceptable.

I honestly feel that on a hairboard where our main focus is hair health, that there is even the thought of possibly using infested hair (even after treated). IMO, I think it takes a LOT for hair to become infested. I just can't roll with it.

It's never that serious. I've achieved growth with uninfested BSS hair.

Last edited:
It didn't help your case OP that you were freaking out in the beginning although now you've gotten the answers that you were looking for from other people who have knowledge of virgin hair.

But you already know what to do next time.....LOL. I'll see you over there.

Last edited:
It's amazing that there is a DIY guide on how to get rid of the nits :look:.
Can it be that serious to take the chance on spending hard earned cash to have to put up with getting rid of nits on hair that is NOT growing out of one's scalp.
If one paid that much money, wouldn't it be acceptable for the vendor to remove the nits before sending them to anyone?!!!
Unacceptable for me and really trying to understand those even being comfortable with this situation :nono:.
OP, I wish you the best wholeheartedly :yep:.

I seriously cannot believe that some of you (and apparently, an ENTIRE board) okay with having INFESTED HAIR.

Do you not get it? IT IS INFESTED. WITH A PARASITE. If it SERIOUSLY wasn't a BIG DEAL there wouldn't have to be tutorials and instructions on how to get rid of it.

If I'm paying GOOD money for a product, WHATEVER it is, I should NOT have to go through having to DELOUSE it in order to use it. The weave game must be real serious to have to remove SOME OTHER BROAD'S hair issue prior to putting on your OWN head. Ain't no damn way.

We don't even SUPPORT nits in our head, you gon support some **** off somebody ELSE'S head and get it right for the privilege? Girl bye.

Regardless of if you don't want to wear weave for the rest of your life because you don't want nits, that's fine.

But the OP asked for advice on how to get rid of them. But instead she got four pages of "Ewwwwwwww" "that's disgusting", which really isn't helpful to her.

So if you have a problem with nits. FINE. If you don't have a problem with nits. FINE.

But four pages of non helpful posts is not what she was looking for. But hey, we're all free to do whatever we want, right?

Regardless of if you don't want to wear weave for the rest of your life because you don't want nits, that's fine.

But the OP asked for advice on how to get rid of them. But instead she got four pages of "Ewwwwwwww" "that's disgusting", which really isn't helpful to her.

So if you have a problem with nits. FINE. If you don't have a problem with nits. FINE.

But four pages of non helpful posts is not what she was looking for. But hey, we're all free to do whatever we want, right?

girl thanx 4 this...^^^...i really dont get all the horrified hoopla!:rolleyes: if u buy Virgin Indian Hair then there is a possibility that u will see nits in the hair. ppl who buy virgin hair know this & they r not horrified & disgusted when they get the hair. sure they may not like it but its a chance u take w/ indian vendors. i tried 2 help the OP w/ my 1st post on pg.1 as it seemed like she needed advice. i wouldnt have just said "ewww" & nothing else...thats not very helpful:look:

i wear VI hair occasionally...(in fact, i have sum installed rite now!) & i've never seen nits but i LOOK 4 them. i purchase from indianhair.net & i think they do a good job of cleanin the hair b4 hand.

nit shells caint b that dayum disgusting...the fact that ppl on BOTH sites would gladly purchase the hair is very telling...so the .05% who cant deal w/ it...dont! lol :)

OP i think you've learned ur lesson abt posting weave q's on 'this' site:lachen:

Last edited:

Yes it would IMO. I figure if the customer is paying the $$$, lots of $$$ at that, for virgin hair, the least the vendor/supplier can do is perform a full clean/nit removal process prior to shipping it out. I don't think the extra effort in relation to the price is too much to expect. I just don't feel comfortable with paying customers being treated like this, but I guess it's considered acceptable. If it's not such a big deal as people insist, then why can't they do it?

it is not uncommon to see nits in virgin indian hair. wht u r seeing is the nit shells, not actual lice. but just 2 be sure u can get medicated shampoo AND a special lice comb designed 2 comb the shells out. a rattail comb or other small-tooth comb simply will not do in this situa.

also search bhm 4 ways to de-nit ur hair. there is plenty of info over there 4 these sort of matters. :)

^^ most pure Virgin Indian hair will have Nit shells. ACV or Jbco won't do it. You have to purchase a lice kit from the pharmacy. Unfortunately, this is common.. good luck. I had to do the same thing with my hair that I purchased directly from Indian. The olive oil, acv etc will be a waste of time. Go with a lice kit and comb. the shells are most likely empty. Lice need body heat to live, that why their always close to the scalp. The conditions in Indian are not the same as in the states. That why it's important to do your research before you purchase certain types of hair. To out way the pros vs cons. The Indian hair that you buy from the BSS is not cuticle aligned. It's still processed. OP, where did you purchase the hair from?

Last edited:
Right!

The OP was enough to make me forget weave altogether...

It aint that serious. :nono:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:I am so sorry, but I just had to comment on your siggy...it get's me too when people say corn rolls too..so I am over here really laughing at u. btw, I don't know nothing about weave hair or NITS...
What are corn rolls? :look:
Like for real?
It's it called a cornrow.
Say it with me. Cornrow. Cornrow. Cornrow.

I think I have a permanent grimace on my face from reading this thread. Although, I am glad I came across it for future references.

I posted a similar thread on BHM.It's funny how different the personalities are between the two boards.They're telling me to keep the hair and treat it.

I always buy virgin hair,I dont mess with BSS.For some of yalls info,they are finding nits in BSS hair as well...There was a recent thread on another forum about that,as well as the corresponding news story.

This is the first time I've purchased virgin hair and had this happen.It freaks me because I've never dealt with lice other than on my patients.I have contacted the vendor,I will send back and exchange if they'll let me.If not I have people pming me on both sites already willing to buy.The waves/curls are beautiful.

Some of you are funny when you actually make it seem like I'm going to put the hair in my head w/ the nits.I'm :grin: at that...I will not throw away this hair.It's getting exchanged with the vendor or sold.If I treat it completely I'll wait a month and put it in.Nits are disgusting but you can treat them.I thought since this was a hair board I could get better insight how to do that at home.:ohwell::look::lachen:

Really? Well, I'd head right back to the bss with it too.:auto:

I agree with the others - send that hair back.

This is exactly why I'm trying to grow me some hair... because weave these days are ridiculous.

Most wholesale suppliers sell unprocessed hair at discounted prices b/c they skip the middle man (vendors that clean the hair) and sell it directly to the public. Retail businesses usually have their own suppliers who clean the hair, that's why their prices are so high. That makes a big difference b/c if you are buying from a wholesale supplier the consumer is expected and assuming responsibility for cleaning the hair. If you are grossed out by nits then you should probably buy from a retail business not a wholesale company or just buy processed hair...

Also, you can not get lice from nit shells, it is just the shell not the actual lice egg... lice require a live host.

I understand why seeing the shells may freak some ppl out, but chances are if you're buying virgin hair at one point or another the hair had shells in it, just b/c you don't see them doesn't mean they were never there.

OP if you are still considering keeping the hair buy the Nit free lice removal kit and use it after soaking the hair in oil and clarify w/ ACV. Then just shampoo and condition. It doesn't take much effort, I always wash any hair I put in my head b4 installing a sew-in anyway...

Back