Major Breakage!!!

Armyqt

Someone please tell me what's going on with my hair. I got my hair relaxed about 2 weeks ago and my hair is just breaking all over the place. The day after I relaxed, I put an Adore Rinse in my hair. I thought this was safe and could be done on the same day as a relaxer. The stylist relaxed me with Affirm mild and from start to finish, was 20 min (I timed it). She washed my hair out 3 times and used the 5n1 reconstructor. In addition to this, I washed my hair with a neutralizing shampoo the next day and did a protein treament. I have no idea why this is happening. I'm not new to this haircare thing and I had a great regimen going. I am so upset right now. I'm sick, sick, sick and tired trying to grow my hair out. When I wasn't paying attention to my hair and blowdryed and hot curled, I still didn't experience this kind of breakage. This is so disheartening. I just wann cry right now. I'm probably gonna have to cut all my hair off if this keeps up. I just got done using some ORS Hair Mayo and even more breakage. Nothing I do will stop it. I am losing more hair now, than what I lost during my last 4 weeks before getting a touch-up. And what I can't understand is, my hair is so soft and combable. It's not tangling or anything. It's just falling out. It was three months since my last relaxer. I just don't get this.... I may have to take a break from this hair thing..cause this is driving me nuts.
frown.gif
Thanks for listening, I really needed to vent.

Armyqt, I'm so sorry!!! Hey, are you undergoing any stress right now? That can really do a number to our hair, even if we're doing all the right things. Is the hair breaking in a specific area (which might indicate stress) or all over? You can't give up; your hair is way too pretty for that!! Hang in there - we'll help you figure out what's wrong.

Hi (((Armyqt))),

I'm really sorry to hear this! Can I tell you that my hair has been acting up lately as well?! I KNOW how you feel about being sick of trying to grow your hair, but hang in there girl. Could it be too much protein? The 5 in 1 is a protein treatment as well. Don't cut your hair yet. The breakage may suddenly stop. Just keep washing and deep conditioning for now. Let's see what happens...
smile.gif

Is it breaking at the roots? If it is then it could mean that there is a problem with your health. Have you been sick lately? I know that my hair comes out a lot if I have the flu or something. Are you under a lot of stress? You may want to see your doctor for a check up.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I know that you are careful and very serious about your hair. You are one of the people that inspire me. Keep your chin up and know that you will find a solution.

Sorry to hear about this. Maybe you should moisturize your hair real good, put it in a protective style, and try not to manipulate it much. HTH.

Was this your first time using Affirm Mild? Just wondering because my hair never really liked Affirm too much, and I usually got breaking right after my touch ups.

I'm not an expert on hair care, but you said you used the Ors and you had a reconstructor recently--maybe you are experiencing protein overload?????????I would also suggest for you to leave your hair alone for a few days. I know with it breaking it's tempting to touch it every so often to see if it's still acting up, but maybe do some condition washes, hot oil treatments and braid outs. Use protective hairstyles to keep your ends protected and give your hair LOTS of moisture.

gabrielle_union.jpg

Armyqt:

I think kitkat is right. I really believe it may be 1 of 2 things. Either you are going through some serious stress (I'm a victim of hair falling out because of it), or you could be shedding and don't realize this.

A good friend of mine just reminded me that most people tend to have hair shed when the seasons change. I was telling her earlier how I still can't figure out why my hair was coming out more a few weeks ago, and she reminded me that I lived in New England (weather is not consistant at all here, especially when spring comes). At the same time, I'm thinking that it could've been the Pantene S&S.

Don't worry! I went through this same thing a few weeks ago, and now it seems like my hair is growing like weed.

Do you like aphogee? Earlier, I was telling Adrienne on another thread how I did this treatment earlier last week, and it seems that the breakage has come to a complete end. Trust me, although aphogee makes the hair hard, it is definitely worth it! You can find something to moisturize it if you feel that the aphogee moisturizer is not enough.

Good luck!

Excessive hair breakage that starts at the root could be a sign of something going on internally. I don't want to scare you. From now on, start making a journal. Also, everyone is right about the stress factor. Stress can wreck havoc on our systems, and definitely affect hair. That's why I think it is good to keep a journal. Write down all stressors, and foods that you eat, sleeping habits, etc.

I just posted, but I wanted to add one more thing. For my last touch up, I waited too long, and I had major breakage. I was sure that I wouldn't retain any length, but when I did get my touch up done, my hair was 3 or so inches longer. So, my point is, take care of your hair, but don't sweat it because once I gave my hair what it wanted (a touch up), it instantly stopped breaking, and yours will too.

Thanks so much ladies for all your great responses. Unfortunatley, I know I'm not shedding...this is breakage. I'm not stressing about anything much these days, so I don't think anything internal is going on. My hair is breaking and I can't find any particular spot where this is happening. when my hair is dry and and I comb through it, I can hear the hair popping. Maybe it is too much protein, so I'll la off of it for a few weeks. When my hair was relaxed it didn't take at all. While it loosened the hair, it did not straighten it. I really truly believe that all this underprocessing has taken it's toll on my hair. I think the differences in the textures is what is causing this unusual breakage. I've gotten a lot of growth this year, so now half of my hair is fuzzy and the other half is straight. I've been in this viscious cycle since June of last year and I can't take it anymore. I'm going back in another 2 weeks to get another relaxer. This time, I will use regular strength. In my heart of hearts I really believe that this is the culprit. I am mentally prepared for what could happen if this turns out for the worse. I AM prepared to hack all of it off it it gets worse, but I just can't take this anymore. thanks again so much for all your support. You ladies are the greatest
smile.gif
I feel a little better now.

Armyqt, I'm so sorry. The only thing I can think of is that you are using too much protein as someone else mentioned.

Maybe you overconditioned with the protein?

I would quit the protein for a while and do strictly moisturing treatments.

Use honey in your mixes. I would also recommend Na-PCA spray by Twinlab. This stuff is EXTREMELY moisturizing.
The non-oily version must be rinsed out of your hair. You can use it as a leave-in if you get the Aloe version.

aww, armyqt...
frown.gif

everyone made really good suggestions! the main one i would try is to definitely leave it alone for a while.... at least until you figure out your next move, or until you go back for the retouch.

don't give up, girl!!

adrienne

Armyqt,

I am very sorry to hear about your ordeal. I self-relaxed my hair this past Sunday with Affirm relaxer (mild). I also used the Adore color (velvet black) on my hair immediately after conditioning with the Affirm 5-in-1 reconstructor and shampooing (4-5x)with the Affirm Normalizing Shampoo.

I did not experience any more breakage than usual. It had been approx. 3 mos since my last retouch as well. I don't care for the Adore color b/c it turned my hair a horrid green and blue. But, I'm not sure if it would be the culprit or cause any damage. I had to use Clairol beautiful semi-permanent color the very next day to correct the color problem. I was worried that my hair would experience some breakage but it did not.

I wonder if the stylist followed the exact steps in the Affirm relaxing system. If the relaxer is not completely rinsed from your scalp and hair it can cause breakage. You said that you applied the neutralizing shampoo the day after as a precaution. Did you use the Normalizing shampoo immediately after rinsing the 5-in-1 reconstructor?

I'm not sure what could possibly be causing the excessive breakage. Everyone's hair responds differently to different products.

But, I did use the Elasta DPR-11 mixed w/ olive/jojoba oil afterwards. I also used the Motions Nourshing leave-in conditioner, followed by Kiehl's Silk Groom and sat under the dryer for an hour. It was still wet and I let it airdry overnight.

Do you think a conditioner wash or washing with a conditioning shampoo would help. I forgot to mention that after I did the Adore color, I used Elasta's Creme Conditioning Shampoo before conditioning with the DPR-11.

Again, I am sorry for the anguish you have endured with the hair breakage.

I am glad I am not the only one going through underprocessed hair hell!!! I don't use alot of heat on my hair but it still just snaps off. I am convinced that it is underprocessed hair that causes my breakage and it might be the same thing for you. On my next retouch I am doing a pull through and an 1 inch trim. Whatever isn't fixed this time will be CUT OFF!! You shouldn't do somthing this drastic because you have come so far but if you consider a pull through to be you only option, look into a stylist who has experience in them before. After my pull through I am going to up my trims to 1/2 inch every 6 weeks and do an aphogee treatment every 6 weeks like clock work for a while. I think that should do it.
smile.gif
Good luck with your hair!!
wink.gif

Armyqt, i'm very sorry this is happening to you
frown.gif
. Hmm I would usggest that you try not to wash as frequently (b/c seeing all the hairs in your combout could be stressful).. and cut it down to once a week... you know to get your mind off your hair for a while. Then when you feel things are getting better go back into your more frequent wash schedule.
Deep condition w/your fav. moisturizing condit next time and use a gentle shampoo. see how that works out. Dont feel bad b/c i've been experiencing more hairs in my combout as well, and i just had a protein treatment w/ Elasta BCs last week!
Do you look good in braids? b/c i would suggest cornrowing my hair week after week for 2or 3 weeks to give it a rest.

So the Affirm mild was another dud????
ohwell.gif
Darnit, this underprocessing cycle is really something. I'm in a VERY peculiar position b/c my last touch up went well, but I still have 2 inches of underprocessed hair in b/w the freshly relaxed hair and the rest of my length! My hair is fuzzy as well...

Armyqt, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you but I def. agree with the others here saying to lay off the protein and just do deep moisturizing conditioning treatments. Also, wear protective styles, like a bun or maybe a braid out? styles where by you don't manipulate the hair at all that way your hair can soak up all that good conditioning without being disturbed much
smile.gif

Let us know how you get on with the next relaxer. It does sound like it could be that diff. in textures that you mentioned.

Hi, Armyqt,
I am very sorry to hear what's going on with you...I went through the same thing, actually I sorta still am.. My hair was coming out like crazy, like I never saw before..It really bothered me but i tried not to stress myself out because I didn't want to make the situation worst.. But i had enough!!! Right now, well,not to speak too soon, but the breakage is to a minimum... after efforts of 1 strong protein treatment and several mild protein treatments, Deep conditoners and rollersets, it was still breaking...So I decided to put a weave in my hair for 2 weeks, 2 wks of leaving my hair along, just oiling my scalp...when i took the weave out, I preshampooed, washed 1x and deep conditioned w/ ors mayo... I saw improvement, 4 days later I washed w/ Nexxus shampoo ,with added olive oil 1x, deep conditioned w/ ors mayo and rollerset, after the rollerset I dusted my ends, more improvement..I'm going to continue this a few more times...another thing, for now I'm laying off the semiperm. rinses,, I'm using Beautiful Collection for as long as I can (very mild)...I remember my last time using Seb. clourshines in coffee brown, it made my hair feel really weird... Simplicity is the key for us both right now...and maybe you can use the Motions cpr treatment schedule,, My regimine is alternated towards that schedule..I wish I didn't have to wash, but I'm doing the drawstring ponytail right now and I lay my hair down with mega moisterizers (Spells, lots of build up)so I only wash 1x w/ olive oil.... I am in need of a serious relaxer but I'm going to try to stick it out a little longer until my hair strenthens more...Good luck, you will get through this!!

It so sad to hear that...the only thing I can think of is protein overload. I really dont think you should have did an additional protein treatment the day after the relaxer, after all you got one right after your relaxer. And then you went on to ORS, so that makes 3 protein treatments consistently, thats not good.

Somehow you have to hold off on washing your hair for at least week, less manipulation is good. Just moisturize your hair with a daily hair oil, wildgrowth is really good. And after the week is over, then I would do a moisturizing shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.

..........I think your hair suffered from major protein overload and then using the neutralizing shampoo the day after your relaxer stripped your hair even more. You needed to add moisture to your hair.

Im sure your hair will come back to normal, and just try not to think of your hair too much.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I would also recommend Na-PCA spray by Twinlab. This stuff is EXTREMELY moisturizing.
The non-oily version must be rinsed out of your hair

[/ QUOTE ]

To echo what everyone else has said I am soooo sorry to hear this is happening. I think that it is a protein overload and think that the Na-PCA spray is a great product that will give you true moisture that your hair needs...as opposed to oil which will give lubrication.

I have it and use it from time to time and it works well.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your hair turns out.

Valleygirl

I'm sorry to hear this
frown.gif
I agree w/ Allandra just do the minimum to your hair and don't rush off to cut it this may be temporary and your hair will bounce back.
Marabou, I just read the ingredients on the Pantene pro-v and complete therapy conditioners b/c I heard it's a new formula but they all have alcohol in them.
My hair never liked Pantene-it dried out and broke off, and my hair is thick and needs moisture and alcohol is a drying agent-so if you see it in something watch out. hth
look.gif

cry3.gif
aww armyqt

I feel so bad for you, I know how you feel. why don't you
call the stylist and tell her that your hair is breaking big time and she what she suggest. she may be able to shed some light on this. afterall she was the one that did the relaxer.I pray that the breakage stops right now.

Armyqt:

I'm so sorry you're experiencing major breakage! I've read the responses to your posts. The concensus seems to cut back on the protein treatments. That's one thing I've upped in my regime "to make my hair more stronger" - more protein treatments.

I thought back to when I experienced the least breakage and that's when I followed Carolyn Gray's regime to-the-letter. I may have deviated with some of her product recommendations. But I my hair breakage was very minimal. I also wore my hair in protective styles, and washed my hair once weekly.

Now, I'm doing more protein treatments (bi-weekly) instead of once a month; this may explain why I'm experiencing more breakage than normal lately.

But don't give up! You're one of my hair inspirators! You've come too far to through in the towel. Just hang in there. You're not the only one experiencing breakage; we just have to find a solution to combat the problem.
It's there. Look how far we've come!!!
up.gif
wink.gif

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems! When I feel like I've done too much to my hair or it feels dry and breaking at the ends, I do the minimum....
shampoo, rinse frequently and use a moisturizing leave in and wear it back it a loose bun, braid or ponytail for a while.

You'll be alright Boo.

I agree with Sweetcoca, just do minimum things and don't stress your hair.

Please don't cut, cutting DOES NOT stop breakage.

Hange in there
rosebud.gif

I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't know what the cause could be, but I agree with what some of the posters have already said--moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and wear your hair in a protective style and try to manipulate it as little as possible.

Hi ArmyQT,
So sorry that you're going through this, but you are one of my hair inspirations too and I'm sure you'll get through this.

The weather where I live has been acting crazy and it's had somewhat of a toll on my hair. Last week here it was 70-80 degree weather and now this week it's in the 30's and 40's. This crazy St. Louis weather! But anyway, I've been slacking as far as covering my hair and moisturizing like I was when the weather was colder and my hair definitely reacted negatively.

So I don't know if this helps or not, but if the weather where you live is changing a lot, this may be having an effect on your hair.

HTH...Maybe???
Good luck to you and God bless!
Jen

Hi Armyqt,

Let me first say that I feel your pain. You will get over this minor setback. Whatever you do, please don't cut your hair. I agree with everyone who said the protein overload my be the culprit. I suggest washing once a week and a little more moisturizing. Don't give up and please keep us updated on your progress.

Man! I'm SO sorry to hear that, ArmyQT!! That's the reason why I'm ALWAYS so scared when it's touch-up time. You just never know what that
censored.gif
relaxer is gonna do to your hair. You can take such good care of your hair, then go for a touchup and BAM! back to square one.
mad.gif

Anyway, I'm feeling your pain... but I'm sure you can get your hair back on track with protein, moisturizing treatments and plenty of TLC.
smile.gif

Sorry to hear this Armyqt! I know it is both discouraging and maddening all at the same time, but take heart. Spring has sprung and we all know that hair grows rapidly in hot, humid climates
smile.gif
It will all be back in no time at all
smile.gif

Sometimes I wonder if companies accidentally place a "super strength" mix in jars marked "mild" or "regular"? It sounds as if you've really taken care of your hair and I'm speculating if this type of mishap could have been the reason behind your hair-breakage?

Back