Major breakage...Please help me out girls.

kittykhat

I'm having serious breakage. More so in the back. Not the nape, but the back of my head. About 3 weeks ago I was using a lot of protein: Mane n Tail Shampoo and Conditioner everytime I washed, Aphogee 2 min once a week, the Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer every time i washed, and an egg treatment. Then, I started having major breakage. Now I'm only moisturizing my hair. It has gotten better. But some days it seems like I have more breakage than others. And when I comb my hair when it's wet, it justs breaks. There is no stretching. So, I'm sure that my hair has protein overload. Is there a way I can reduce the breakage faster girls? Thanks for helping me out girls. =^_^=

Oh yeah, I am 1 month post relaxer. I have never really stretched that longer than 6 weeks and my scalp itches like crazy even though it's clean.

Here is my regime:
I co wash every other day. I wash my hair once a week. I deep condition with EVOO under a dryer like every 5 days to a week.
Everyday I spritz my hair with water and put my Tresemme Curl Hydration Lotion Creme to my hair. Then, I put in my Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.
And every time I apply my products to my hair or touch it while it's wet, I get breakage. And no white bulbs...

And I'm texlaxed. Not on my own will. Lol. It's just that everytime I try to straighten my hair to like 80 to 90%, it always manages to keep it curl. I always smooth it and it looks straight when the relaxer is in but when I rinse it out my hair is wavy curly. BTW, Sorry for the long post guys.

I started to diffuse my hair with my blowdryer because I hate going to bed with wet hair. But I stopped doing that. Other than that, I don't use heat. And I CO wash with pantene conditioner for curls. And I just DC with olive oil, with the exception once when I used Nexxus Deep Conditioner mixed with EVOO.

This is just a suggestion but maybe you could try DC with a moisturizing conditioner and add the olive oil to that.

I am going through the same thing. I am texlaxed, but the consistancy isn't even across the shaft. But lately I have been breaking majorly, never lost so mcuh hair before. I haven't been consistant with my regime, kinda grab which ever conditioner is around and Ihave used heat quite oftenlately.

I am just looking to what can also help me quickly to stop breaking

I started to diffuse my hair with my blowdryer because I hate going to bed with wet hair. But I stopped doing that. Other than that, I don't use heat. And I CO wash with pantene conditioner for curls. And I just DC with olive oil, with the exception once when I used Nexxus Deep Conditioner mixed with EVOO.

If thats the case then your not really DCing as oils don't penetrate the hair (apart from cocnut oil), most people add EVOO to a DC.

I just ordered Aubrey Orgainics Honeysuckel and Rose moisturisng conditioner, I have heard good reveiws for this.

What's the difference than using EVOO by itself?

I am definately not an expert, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but I don't know that the olive oil itself is moisturizing as an actual conditioner would be.

Oh ok. So, I should mix my EVOO with a deep conditioner. Can I mix it with my CO wash conditioner? And can I deep conditioner like every 3 days?

^^ I guess so but most people deep codition with a thicker more creamy conditioner than the one they co wash with. ORS is quite good and fairly cheap, you can get them in packets to see if you like it, do a search and have a look at some of the most recommeded DC's.

DCing every 3 days would be good if your haitr is overly dry and protein overloaded, it will help you get back on track quicker :)

ITA with MKD. From what I understand, EVOO is good as a sealant, not as an acutal moisturizer. My favorite moisterizing condition right now is Aussie Moist. Last week, I DC'ed with Aussie Moist and my hair felt very moisterized. This weekend, I DC'ed with Pantene Pro-V Breakage Defense Mask (on the advice of Pokahantas - thanks!) and I loved the results. While combing my hair in the shower, only one strand came out. Perhaps you can consider these products....
HTH

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be going to Walmart or Sally's to buy some Deep Conditioners. Hey, if you guys don't mind, would you give me some lists of great Deep Conditioners. Thanks girls.

Aubrey Organics
ORS Replenshing Packs
Keracare Humecto

Thats all I know as I used to use ORS before they changed the formula so now I'm looking for a new staple DC.

Good Luck :)

This is courtesy of thebeautybrains.com

Lina says: I was very happy to read your post about coconut oil in Ojon penetrating hair. I have been using it for a while and feel my hair is stronger than it used to be. I’d like to keep using coconut oil and I want to add olive oil to make my hair shiny but I`m worried that mixing the two oils will stop the coconut oil from penetrating. Is it ok to mix two oils on my hair? Thanks for all of your helpful information – you’ve kept me from wasting money on over-hyped products.

The Left Brain provides an oily update:

coconut oilThanks for your kind words, Lina. Yes, studies have shown that coconut oil actually penetrates the hair to help make it stronger. And as it turns out, olive oil also has penetrating properties. Scientists at the Textile Research (J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001) tested Olive oil, Avocado oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Sunflower oil, and Jojoba oil. Their results showed that straight chain glycerides like olive oil easily penetrate into the hair. Polyunsaturated oils , like Jojoba oil, are more open in their structure so they don’t pass through the layers of cuticles very well.

What does that mean in plain English? Olive and Avocado oils penetrate all the way into the hair shaft. Meadowfoam seed oil partially penetrates, and jojoba and sunflower oils don’t penetrate at all. They’re very superficial and don’t really provide any practical benefit. Kind of like Ryan Seacrest.

And to answer your question: mixing coconut and olive oils shouldn’t be a problem. In fact, it’s possible that the olive/coconut oil combination might even penetrate hair better. I won’t bore you with the details, but it has to do with mixed micelles. I’d start with a 50/50 mixture and see how that works for your hair

According to them (I haven't checked the actual research), olive, coconut and avocado all penetrate. That said, I still mix them with a deep conditioner, and I do prefer a heavier conditioner. I use Aubrey Organics HSR or WC mixed with avocado oil, which appears to be the heaviest of the three--and my hair likes it best.:grin: :lick: You may also want to consider adding some Porosity Control or an acv rinse at the end to help close the cuticle after deep conditioning to seal in the moisture. And I would definitely step up the deep conditioning to 2-3 times a week, at least in the interim.

One word of caution: you don't want to go too far on the other side. :nono: It looks like you're dealing with protein overload right now, but you don't want to completely forsake protein and have mushy hair that breaks for a totally different reason. :wallbash: Once your hair stops breaking, then you may want to gradually start adding protein back, in small doses, until you find your perfect combination. HTH!

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be going to Walmart or Sally's to buy some Deep Conditioners. Hey, if you guys don't mind, would you give me some lists of great Deep Conditioners. Thanks girls.

I've found that mixing some foods into my DC has given me the best results. My hair was soft, well-defined b/c of the amount of moisture, and was easier to comb through. I'm quite new at this and i'm trying to figure out what works for me, but so far this is what has worked, so perhapsyou can consider this mix:

Aussie Moist conditioner
1 avocado
few tbsp of EVOO
few tbsp of coconut oil
few tsbp of honey

I blended this really well (using a blender) and applied to my hair. I left it in overnight and co-washed it out really well with a lot more Aussie Moist conditioner. I used a considerable amount to get the avocado smell out (and it worked!). Again, this mix was fabulous for my hair seeing as two weeks ago, I overproteinized my hair and had a lot of breakage and I think my hair is on the right path with this DC.

HTH!

I would try and do co-washing/dc for a little while and stay away from shampoo, heat and high manipulation.

Definitely look at doing lots of protective styles and baggy.

Also, another thing you might want to try is Roux Porosity Control Corrector Conditioner. One, 2 minute use and it is like butta! :lick: IMO, this helps my hair absorb moisture better. Also, makes my hair feel super soft.

Keep in mind also, Pantene products are highly concentrated with protein. Try Humectress or Neutrogena Triple Moistrue Deep Conditioning Mask.

Good Luck!

I've found that mixing some foods into my DC has given me the best results. My hair was soft, well-defined b/c of the amount of moisture, and was easier to comb through. I'm quite new at this and i'm trying to figure out what works for me, but so far this is what has worked, so perhapsyou can consider this mix:

Aussie Moist conditioner
1 avocado
few tbsp of EVOO
few tbsp of coconut oil
few tsbp of honey

I blended this really well (using a blender) and applied to my hair. I left it in overnight and co-washed it out really well with a lot more Aussie Moist conditioner. I used a considerable amount to get the avocado smell out (and it worked!). Again, this mix was fabulous for my hair seeing as two weeks ago, I overproteinized my hair and had a lot of breakage and I think my hair is on the right path with this DC.

HTH!

Oooohh yeah! I also add bananas (Gerber baby food), molasses, agave nectar, hemp and wheat germ oil. Delicious!

As far as actual conditioners go, I like GVP Conditioning Balm (Sally's generic Matrix) and Moisturizing Conditioner (generic Nexxus), Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and White Camellia (both organic), and I know a lot of people like Silk Elements, but I've never personally tried them. Also, Yes to Carrots mud mask and conditioner are delightful--got mine at Walgreens. My hair drinks moisture every time I condition it like I've abused it or something (which, mind you, I don't), so I rarely use a conditioner alone, always mixed.

Stop doing that! :nono:Oil without moisture is a horrible idea. It WILL SEAL IN DRYNESS! Here's a recipe that will set you up:

One cup of conditioner ( a moisturizing deep conditioner, not a rinse-out)
I used a combo of Modern Organic Product Extreme Moisture and Aubrey Organics GPB (very mild protein) and Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol. Other recommendations are

• Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose,
  • Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner,
  • Lustrasilk Cholesterol
  • Mizani Moisturefuse
I made a tea of Cassia, Amla, Neem and Orange Peel Powder. I put the powders into two coffee pot filter and brewed them as if it were coffee (obviously in a coffee maker). Another fabulous combo if you want to omit the neem is Zyphus Christi (amazing hair conditioner). DO not use Shikakai until your moisture levels are up (it might have your hair too hard).

The tea should have very little to no granules in it. Make a large batch and bottle it for next time. Mix the liquid into the conditioner. I added my favorite oils: Jojoba, Grapeseed, Sweet Almond, AND Olive oil. I love coconut oil in my conditioner, too.

You may also add butters if you don't have oils.
However, add only small amounts of butters (no one than 1/2 teaspoon each butter) so you don't have a filmy residue. If you want to add essential oils, I would do it at this point. For the butters, mix them in with honey (or vegetable gylcerine), Molasseses and coconut milk and put in in the blender, mixer or food processor. Make sure the mixture is completely smooth. If you don't have a food processor, just melt the butters down and mix it with the food ingredients.
Mix everything into a smooth emulsion.
Apply to hair for no less than 35 minutes.
This should DEFINITELY work.

I have more recipes if you need one. If you don't want to be bothered with all that, just buy M.O.P. Extreme Moisture. Nothing works bettter.

Let me tell you.... Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner is sooooo moisturizing. It literally leaves your hair like silk. I mix mine with honey and avocado oil. But, cocnut oil is also a really good oil. I haven't really used EVOO so I can't tell you how they differ. But, I'm sure it's good too:) I had protein overload a couple of months back. But, I just clarified and then used only moisturizing products. Your hair will be back to health in no time...

If you want a really good moisturizing conditioner at Sally's try Silk Element MegaSilk :yep: It's a really good DC and fairly inexpensive.

What's the difference than using EVOO by itself?
Olive oil only penetrates up to 25% of the hair shaft. That is your problem right there. Get a good moisturizing conditioner.

Coconut Oil on the otherhand penetrates up to 90% of the hairshaft. Look to Silk Elements for a good inexpensive conditioner BUT like I always say..if there is ONE thing out of all your hair products that you should spend good money on...its your Deep Conditioner..so dont be afraid to spend more. I recommend Keracare Humecto (ive personally tried & love), Kenra MC & Nexxus Humectress

Last edited:
Olive oil only penetrates up to 25% of the hair shaft. That is your problem right there. Get a good moisturizing conditioner.

Coconut Oil on the otherhand penetrates up to 90% of the hairshaft.

Do you have links for this? I totally believe you, I just want to see if there's info on these and other oil penetration rates. I mix EVOO, EVCO, and avocado sometimes. TIA!!

I bought the Olive Oil Replenishing Bottle. It was lovely. My hair felt so soft and I still had some shedding, but not very much. Thanks girls. I think I'm going to stick with this deep conditioner. :)

Back