Major Hair Breakage! Help!

klsjackson

Hi ladies! I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate your haircare advice. I've never posted before, but I really, really need help.

This is the problem: I have major breakage all throughout my hair :nono:. Not just in one or two spots. I have very thick hair and didn't notice the breakage for awhile, until my hair wouldn't hold a particular style. Most of my hair is between CBL and APL but it is so thin. I don't want to cut it.

I normally get a relaxer every 6 to 7 weeks and wanted my thick hair to be even thicker and decided to stretch. I began noticing some shedding around week 8 and made an appointment for a touch up at the hair salon. The touch up went fine, no burning or irritation, but a few days later my scalp was so itchy and irritated and I began having a LOT of shedding. Hair stands in my comb, on the floor, on the sink, everywhere!!!! When I washed my hair it was very hard to detangle and there was so much hair in my comb and sink. I took a close look at my hair Friday and I can clearly see that my hair is broken off at the new growth. What can I do? Please help!! Right now my hair feels very dry.

It seems that the relaxer wasn't completely rinsed off. Try using a neautralizing shampoo and do a hard protein treatment like aphogee or dudley drc28 to try to combat the shedding and follow by a moisturizing treatment. Right now, you are going to have to baby your hair and do some protective styling to help you recover from your setback. Hth

First of all :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear about your breakage. As a natural, I've experienced something similar, but I believe my shedding/breakage was stress related. All throughout my head I found small patches of hair that was about an inch long (I'm currently hovering between BSL and MBL so I feel you about not wanting to cut your hair). At first I didn't notice because my hair is pretty thick, plus I wear it curly or in twists most of the time. Once I got my hair blown out at the Dominican salon, that's when I noticed the breakage.

I've been babying those areas by DCing regularly, along with baggying nightly, massages with my favorite oils, and my Nioxin vitamins (when I have them). I also take more care when I detangle (I'm not the most patient person in the world, but I'm learning). On occasion, I like to sit under my steamer with my Alter Ego (Garlic) conditioner. It's excellent for helping with the shedding and it makes my hair feel heavenly. It's a little on the pricey side, but for me it was worth it.

I'm hoping that Nonie will chime in. She is extremely knowledgeable and can probably give you a little more insight as to what may be going on with your hair.

I hope my post is at least a little helpful. You've definitely come to the right place for help. These ladies are very knowledgeable, and always willing to help.

HHJ!

Thanks ladies!!

I'm so bummed about my hair. My stylist kept wanting to cut my hair and I didn't know why. My ends where thin, but not split and I couldn't understand why. So I decided to dust my own ends. Normally when I dust, my fullness returns and when it didn't I got concerned and really started to examine my hair, and that's when I found the breakage. It's not noticeable to anyone else. My husband and mom couldn't tell until I showed them. So, it doesn't look horrible, but I know what my hair "can" look like and I'm not pleased and I don't want anymore breakage. It feels like she didn't get my hair straight and it started breaking at the demarcation point. I'm wondering if I need to relax my hair so that it is smooth and even. I'm afraid that the new growth will tangle the relaxed hair and cause more breakage. I really don't know what to do!! I feel like crying.

I think you may want to refrain from relaxing again so soon. At least until you give yourself a couple of treatments and some major pampering. Have you ever tried Alter Ego before? I purchased mine from Amazon.com in case you're interested. Also, have you done a search on breakage/shedding? There are tons of helpful threads on here, that I'm sure could steer you in the right direction.

ms.blue, had a very valid point about wearing protective styles for a while. She has made beautiful progress. You may want to consider joining the upcoming 2012 HYH challenge starting up in January. You would be more than welcome. Here is our current challenge in case you want to check it out and see what it's about:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=552859

In the meantime, I know it's easier said than done, but try not to stress yourself out too much as that can make matters worse. As I suggested earlier, search a few threads, and I'm sure others will chime in when they have the chance.

@Ms-Coco37, I'm so clueless when it comes to relaxers and relaxed hair since I knew nothing about hair when I had relaxers in mine and when I took an interest in hair, I was natural and only interested in learning about natural hair. But ms.blue's point seems to make sense.

Bumping for some additional advice. I've isolated the breakage spots. Mostly in the back below the crown and the nape. I've been treating with moisture co-washing 2x a week and will do an Aphogee treatment this weekend. My delimma is whether or not to cut. My sides are CBL and the back is APL. The breakage is about 3inches

klsjackson
from now on relax every 8-12 weeks and even if the stylist thinks shes washed everything out have her wash 2-3 more times to be on the safe side. i wouldn't cut just baby the areas back to health. stay on top of your moisture, protein, and ceramides usage. try low manipulation styles with little to no heat. these areas will catch up before you know it.redken products have lots of ceramides, mill creek is great for protein. i love stuff with less chemicals so aubreys condishes are staples for me. i love the j.a.y, gbp and honeysuckle rose. i have heard that alter ego and alpha parf are both great italian lines for all hair types.

I remember having these types of issues when I would get touch ups at the salon...it was only at the nape as well. Does your stylist make sure shes not leaving relaxer on the neck part of the wash bowl from your nape and then not making sure its not being placed back into your hair? I believe that neutralizing your hair again as ms. blue said wouldn't hurt then doing the hard protein and then a moisturizing DC. I hope things get better! HHJ and Welcome.

Update on my breakage issue: I read the forums and the beginners sticky and relaxed head sticky an realized my protein/moisture balance was out of whack and my hair was very porous. So, I treated with moisture first, still breaking. Next I treated with PC & moisture, still breaking. I then treated with Aphogee, because hair felt mushy when wet. Still some breakage. I was at my wits end, until I found Duo Tex. it has worked wonders on my hair. No breakage and my elasticity has returned. My problem ow is I've relaxed, buy hair is so resistant it's never been like this before. Do I need a stronger relaxer?

Re: Major Hair Breakage! Help! (Update & Haircut)

Okay, so a few months ago, I came to the board crying over my hair breakage. I got alot of good advice from you ladies:yep:, but my hair was still a mess. I tried to hold on but it kept getting worse and worse. :sad:

So, I made the decision to get a cut or severe trim depending on how you look at it. I'm not happy with the results of it as a style and its been over 15 years since I've had my hair shorter than SL, so this feels very foreign to me.

On the other hand, my thickness has returned and my hair feels and looks strong and shiny. I consider you all as the "experts". Please tell me what you think and any advice you have for me moving forward. I search the threads constantly, but advice is always welcomed. So here are my before and after pics. My ultimate goal is BSL. But now my short term goal is CBL sides and back. Right now the sides are about an inch below my chin and the back is all over the place (layers). How long do you thing CBL will take?

Attachments

• thin hair Jan 20th  .jpg
    thin hair Jan 20th .jpg
    53 KB · Views: 214
  • see through ends.jpg
    see through ends.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 201
  • results of shedding.jpg
    results of shedding.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 193
  • New Cut from back 001.jpg
    New Cut from back 001.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 2nd Cut Back View.jpg
    2nd Cut Back View.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 194
^^^wow your hair looks good! it's kind of hard to say, since you are leaning to the side, but i say around late spring/early summer.

@ shortdub78: Thanks! I took the pic myself at work. Trying to do so quickly :look:. The kids in the hallway are nosy! I'll try to post a straighter pic later.

Op, I don't know when you will gain your length back. But did you figure out what was causing the breakage, so you can prevent it this time around? :D

I'm pretty sure the breakage was caused by stress during detangling. I was underprocessed and the hair at the line of demarcation was just too weak to withstand wet combing. As far as the shedding, I'm not sure but the only thing I changed about my hair routine was using Hask Scalp and Hair Treatment. I ordered in online in October and it worked wonders on my dandruff, but not long after that I noticed that my hair just didn't seem right :nono:. So, I've discontinued using the Hask Treatment and I'm going to keep my routine simple.

Do you think I will be SL by May? :yep:

Okay ladies, I've been stalking the board but not posting. Just wanted to share my progress since my initial cut on February 1, 2012. The first pic (red) is the day after my hair cut and the other pics are my progress in June 2012 (blue) and October 16, 2012 (black). My goal is to be full SL by May 2013. The right side is still thin in one spot, and I plan to do another cut when that side fills in.

Attachments

• Cut Week 1.jpg
    Cut Week 1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Back view - Aug 23, 2012.jpg
    Back view - Aug 23, 2012.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 159
  • back view oct 16.JPG
    back view oct 16.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 171
klsjackson, I think your ability to hit SL by May will be determined by your growth rate and your ability to retain what you've grown. I suggest focusing on health and the length will definitely come. I'd rather you take your time getting to SL and arrive there healthy than rushing it to find your ends are still thin and damaged, thereby causing you to forfeit the progress made and experiencing another setback. You've made great progress. Way to go! :grin:

good progress! do you still have the same reggie?

I've changed it a little.

I shampoo once a week with KeraCare Hydrating/Detangling Shampoo;Apply Roux PC or French Perm Stablizer for 1 to 2 mins; Rinse; DC with Humecto for 30 to 45 mins. Apply leave ins (Mane N Tail mixed with Infusium 23 or Chi Silk Infusion) and roller set with diluted Lottabody.

I use DuoTex as my protein treatment when needed.

I currently self -relax with PCJ every 8 to nine weeks. My last relaxer was last Thursday, October 11th.

I think u could definitely get there by May. Do u flat iron often, if so maybe cut back because that will slowly make ur hair thin if done too often. And maybe stretch a lil longer (12wks) to avoid overlapping. For a style maybe try a French roll, stuff it a bit for volume if u like. This will keep ur ends protected from the elements, u won't have to straighten as much, and it won't rub against ur collar. Good job so far!!

HHJ!!

@klsjackson, I think your ability to hit SL by May will be determined by your growth rate and your ability to retain what you've grown. I suggest focusing on health and the length will definitely come. I'd rather you take your time getting to SL and arrive there healthy than rushing it to find your ends are still thin and damaged, thereby causing you to forfeit the progress made and experiencing another setback. You've made great progress. Way to go! :grin:

I've had pretty good retention! My growth rate is right at the average of .5 inches a month, give or take. My sides appear to grow faster than the back and crown. I've cut at least 2.5 inches off each side since February. I cut a little over .5 inches last week after my relaxer. I've only trimmed a little from the back.

My plan is to cut off the thin ends once the fullest part gets to SL. I'm hoping to be able to do that in May.

I think u could definitely get there by May. Do u flat iron often, if so maybe cut back because that will slowly make ur hair thin if done too often. And maybe stretch a lil longer (12wks) to avoid overlapping. For a style maybe try a French roll, stuff it a bit for volume if u like. This will keep ur ends protected from the elements, u won't have to straighten as much, and it won't rub against ur collar. Good job so far!!

HHJ!!

I don't use any direct heat. :nono: No flat irons or blow dryers, just rollersets. I've only had my hair flat ironed once in the last two years. I've always relaxed (previously done by a professional) every 6 to 8 weeks any longer and I have major shedding and breakage. I'm currently growing out hair damaged by a relaxer that wasn't properly neutralized.

I definitely need to try protective styling.

@klsjackson - I think you have a good plan. Keep me posted.

Just wanted to share some updated pics. I took a few pictures today. I unwrapped my hair this morning and was surprised at how nice it looked. Feeling pretty good today! :yep:
The picture with the red shirt was taken in Feb 2012 a few days after the infamous trip to the SHS. The blue shirt is me today, 9 months later. I've only trimmed it twice, so I thought I would be much longer by now, but I'm happy with my progress so far. I was hoping to be SL by the end of the year.

Attachments

• Cut Week 1.jpg
    Cut Week 1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 124
  • November 26.jpg
    November 26.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 125
klsjackson, that's awesome! :clap: I love positive updates especially after a sad story... Happy endings are such spirit lifters! Thanks coming back to give us an update. :)

divachyk mschristine Mande30

I got my last relaxer on 8/28 at 9 weeks post. I am only .5 inches away from my pre-breakage length. Now I feel like I'm really ready to start my HHJ! The picture in the blue shirt was Aug 2012 - What a difference a year makes!! I cut my hair three times between 8/12 and 8/13. It was growing, but I had see through ends. I am hoping to be full APL by Dec '13 no later than Feb '14. Hair buddies, my next relaxer is scheduled for late December.

Attachments

• Relaxer August 28, 2013.jpg
    Relaxer August 28, 2013.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Back view - Aug 23, 2012.jpg
    Back view - Aug 23, 2012.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 76
Back