Love my HE LTR but is it a reconstructer, moisturizer or both?? Is that possible?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I've been happy with my regimen lately.:grin: I flat-iron once weekly (I even lower my temp now to only 275-300 degrees) YAY! But for about the past month or so I've been using HE LTR as a daily moisturizer since it doesn't revert my hair and I can have a neat looking bun. My hair loves it.:yep: But the skeptic in me keeps thinking, if this is supposed to be a split end mender, wouldn't that make it more of a reconstructor/protein based leave-in? :look: I keep thinking I need to add something more moisturizing like my Hawaiian Silky 14-1. My hair says it's fine with the LTR alone, but we all know what cones can (but not always) do in the long run by blocking moisture or whatever. I try to alleviate that by clarifying every other wash.

Here is the problem. I get virtually NO broken hairs or shedding when using just the LTR. Then today, about 3 days of using only LTR and no broken hairs, as soon as I put the HS 14-1 in and finger-comb it into the bun I see broken hairs on my hands. Not many, but still, broken hairs. This happens EVERY time I use a water based moisturizer. What the heck is up with that???

Here is my question, I'm perfectly fine if I use the HE LTR every day. But is this considered a good enough moisturizer?? I'm still not good on dissecting ingredients so I'm not sure. I know we should listen to our hair and my hair says yes it is. But does that even make sense? Anybody use LTR leave-in as their only moisturizer? I sure hope so because this is my favorite staple so far. It smells yummy too :spinning:

T.I.A.

I did an in depth review here. I checked the ingredients, also listed in my review, and noted the decent amount of hydrolyzed silk. Hydrolyzed ingredients are able to enter the hair shaft. Silk is a strengthening ingredient. So there you have it: strengthening and moisturizing. Huzzah! I love this as well.

I use HE LTR as a leave-in on damp hair after I wash. I did use it as a moisturizer too, it's great stuff. I only moved on from it because I found something better.

I think HE LTR is water-based as well though? I could be wrong.
HS is Hawaiin Silky? I think that's glycerine-based. Most glycerine-based products give me a ton of breakage.

It's funny I must be the only person on the planet not totally in love with this product. I can't help but feel like it's coating my hair in a not so nice way. For instance I use NTM Silk Touch and that feels perfectly fine but when I used HE LTR on my hair (usually dry) when I touch my hair I can feel a residue on my fingers.

For the OP I think if it works for you then you should stick with it although I am a little concerned too about the product not seeming to work well with other moisture based products (is it only the Hawaiian Silky? or all other moisture based products?) but hey atleast your hair's not breaking.

I did an in depth review here. I checked the ingredients, also listed in my review, and noted the decent amount of hydrolyzed silk. Hydrolyzed ingredients are able to enter the hair shaft. Silk is a strengthening ingredient. So there you have it: strengthening and moisturizing. Huzzah! I love this as well.

Great review! It co-signs everything I said also regarding no reversion. I'll be stocking up on more because you know how that is. Once you start loving something it's hard to find or gets discontinued or something.

Thanks!!!

I use HE LTR as a leave-in on damp hair after I wash. I did use it as a moisturizer too, it's great stuff. I only moved on from it because I found something better.

I think HE LTR is water-based as well though? I could be wrong.
HS is Hawaiin Silky? I think that's glycerine-based. Most glycerine-based products give me a ton of breakage.

You're probably right. I just probably use the wrong terms. It probably is the glycerine then because the two "watery" moisturizers I have both have glycerine (HS14-1 and Wave Nouveau). I just thought breakage was normal before when I used it all last summer. Now I see that it could have been the glycerine.

Thanks!

It's funny I must be the only person on the planet not totally in love with this product. I can't help but feel like it's coating my hair in a not so nice way. For instance I use NTM Silk Touch and that feels perfectly fine but when I used HE LTR on my hair (usually dry) when I touch my hair I can feel a residue on my fingers.

For the OP I think if it works for you then you should stick with it although I am a little concerned too about the product not seeming to work well with other moisture based products (is it only the Hawaiian Silky? or all other moisture based products?) but hey atleast your hair's not breaking.

Funny you mentioned NTM Silk Touch because I bought that and didn't like it at all. I guess it truly shows that what works for one doesn't work for all. Hmmm... I would love to know what the differences are in why certain products work better for others.

Dang, your review got me ready to come out from under this hair dryer and go buy this now.:lachen:

I'm gonna check this out tomorrow. Sounds nice. I'll try it for a wng.

Funny you mentioned NTM Silk Touch because I bought that and didn't like it at all. I guess it truly shows that what works for one doesn't work for all. Hmmm... I would love to know what the differences are in why certain products work better for others.

Me too. :grin: Life, and hair products, can be pretty ironic that way. I also wonder if anyone has another product that would do about the same thing as the HE LTR by a different brand. Overall it seems okay but that residue feeling just messes with me, lol.

I love this stuff! I nearly panicked when ppl said it was being discontinued a few months ago and tried 2 find something else....but as long as this is around it will be my staple leave in!

Me too. :grin: Life, and hair products, can be pretty ironic that way. I also wonder if anyone has another product that would do about the same thing as the HE LTR by a different brand. Overall it seems okay but that residue feeling just messes with me, lol.

I was searching earlier for stuff on LTR and for the life of me I can't remember what product it was somebody was saying was exactly like the LTR. But before the LTR I had success with Elasta QP Mango Butter because it moisturized without reversion. But I found the LTR to be much better. So I don't know if that means you won't like that either. But maybe that's worth a try.

I love this stuff! I nearly panicked when ppl said it was being discontinued a few months ago and tried 2 find something else....but as long as this is around it will be my staple leave in!

I remember that thread. I bought mine months ago and stocked up but didn't start using it regularly until now. I'm glad I stocked up but now that I know I love it I may have to get more.

They have $1 off coupons in the paper for it pretty often too.

How are the Leave-In and the conditioner different? Is the conditioner as well recommended?

I read something on here where people were comparing the ingredients of the leave-in and conditioner and they said they were practically the same. So they used the conditioner as a leave-in also. Don't quote me on that but I remember reading something like that. I never used the conditioner for either purpose. But I don't remember anybody raving about it as a conditioner like they do about the leave in.

Well I asked because the early posts reported that it contained ingredients that could penetrate the hair shaft. Isn't that a signal that the product can be used as a "DEEP CONDITIONER?"

So I was wondering if that cheap conditioner could function as a deep conditioner if it had the same properties as the leave-in.

Well I asked because the early posts reported that it contained ingredients that could penetrate the hair shaft. Isn't that a signal that the product can be used as a "DEEP CONDITIONER?"

So I was wondering if that cheap conditioner could function as a deep conditioner if it had the same properties as the leave-in.

That's a good point. Hopefully someone that knows will chime in.

Not necessarily. The majority of the ingredients in the leave-in are for coating the strand, the hydrolyzed silk not-with-standing.

This is also true of the conditioner -mainly coating, softening agents.

My review of the conditioner is here, if you are interested.

Back