Long hair ladies, can I live vicariously through you?

Tamster

i just read a couple random posts from this thread and holy crap is it motivation!! i feel like ive been in apl purgatory for a couple months but MAN I just need to push on through!!! LOVE this thread!!! (i really want to straighten but I'm scared because I need a trim.... so i will trim this week or next and straighten in a few months so i dont get disappointed)

love this thread, once again. :lol:

Tamster

oh, i have a couple stories but i am never really swangin my hair! sometimes i even wear my shrunken hair and i get guys being like " I LOVE YOUR HAIR :drool: :lick:" and im like :grin: or when i wore a blown out braid out to work and my boss was like, you have a lot of hair!! ladies iwas on cloud nine. maaaaaaaaaan i need to get my flirt game on point because sometimes i dont know how to respond when a cute guy compliments me.:look: im squandering potential!!!!!!

Shananyganz

I want to share!!

SO!! I just recently reached APL and while it is a significant milestone in my journey (longest length ever…woot woot) it isn't like...for REAL long just yet in *my* eyes.

ANYWHO!!

I straightened my hair this past Monday for an event I had Tues. and Wed.; I go to work and run into my friend, we were chatting about I don't know what and out of the blue he says something about my weave. I say this is mine (as I toss for emphasis) and start laughing; anyone who knows him, knows he likes to joke, so I assumed the kid was playing. After I finished laughing from a good healthy placed, I looked up at homie and he was giving me the Baby Louis side eye on the STRENGTH!! And it hit me, dude really thinks I have a full on weave. I was taken aback... 1) Of ALL people this could have come from, I was SUPER surprised it came from him. Mainly because he KNOWS (at least I thought he KNEW) how hair obsessed I truly am, 2) My hair is far from thick an lush (I refuse to say "t---" any longer) which I automatically equate with weave, and 3) my hair is APL.....

When he finally allowed himself to believe it was my hair (I showed scalp)...he got super animated saying in a stage whisper (we at work) "That's big stuff! I KNEW you had that Indian in you...The cheekbones... the hair!! The last time I saw you, you had a fade!! Now you got crop...Big stuff!" --- Don't judge him ya'll he was JUST being silly.

In any case, although the whole matter was surprising coming from him, I was happy it came from him because after all the jokes, we got to chat about my hair and what I've been doing--- he actually listened and added some thoughtful commentary...lol. Turns out he was used to seeing me with my natural hair or a protective style ; so to him..I HAD JUST had the BC.

LOL...good times.

~S~

caramel26Uk

Am past SL now, yesterday I was making sexy move in front of the mirror and purposely moving my head in slow motion. I already love the way my hair swings.
exoticmommie am in the same boat as you; always wishing am MBL. I hope to get there soon.

NaturalBeauty<3

So... my hair got caught in the seatbelt a few days ago.
The musical theme for this moment would have been Ecstacy, Barry White.
I NEVER knew what yall meant when you said "I knew my hair was getting long when it got caught in the seatbelt"...
I'm thinkin.. what the h are yall doin? *NB does mental images of possibilities in her head* I could never get it. I feel there are others just as confused as me. Let me help. :lachen: Picture it.

:iroc:

*NB in car with boyfriend, takes off seatbelt. Hair riiiides with the seatbelt up into the ... uhh.. seatbelt...reserver... thing. Lol. This is probably why you guys never explained it, huh? :lol:

Anyways, I go from being incredibly angry at the pulling of my hair to :heated:... extrememly excited :woot: ... A lightbulb moment, truly. My bf was like... :look:

Lol whatever. Screw him. #LongHairClub baaaby!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
So... my hair got caught in the seatbelt a few days ago.
The musical theme for this moment would have been Ecstacy, Barry White.
I NEVER knew what yall meant when you said "I knew my hair was getting long when it got caught in the seatbelt"...
I'm thinkin.. what the h are yall doin? *NB does mental images of possibilities in her head* I could never get it. I feel there are others just as confused as me. Let me help. :lachen: Picture it.

:iroc:

*NB in car with boyfriend, takes off seatbelt. Hair riiiides with the seatbelt up into the ... uhh.. seatbelt...reserver... thing. Lol. This is probably why you guys never explained it, huh? :lol:

Anyways, I go from being incredibly angry at the pulling of my hair to :heated:... extrememly excited :woot: ... A lightbulb moment, truly. My bf was like... :look:

Lol whatever. Screw him. #LongHairClub baaaby!

:rofl::rofl: Priceless!!!! I wish I could've seen BF's face. :lachen: Like what...the...hayl???? :lol:

wheezy807

I guess it's my turn i have a few other stories i might come back and share.

I remember a couple of years back when i stopped by wagreens before work to grab a drink. I know it was summer and i must have had my hair down. Anyway, you know how the doors open automatically.....well the security guard was in front. He followed me to my aisle and basicly told me he just had to tell me how when i entered through the automatic doors it was like a scene out of a movie, with the wind blowing through my hair as if i was walking in slow motion....lmao!!!

I was creeped out at the time so i nervouslly smiled, nodded and said thank you. I though this is guy was a damn weirdo. By the time i made it to work i was seeing it more as the compliment it was meant to be.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
LOL!! I should wear my hair out more often and see if I get any stories! I'm not waist length but it would still be fun to see if I get anything for that matter. I'm in wigs 104% of the time. The people at my work place has never seen me without my wig. Recently I wore a bun for 3 consecutive days that I haven't worn since the 5th grade (deathly afraid of buns :perplexed ) to work and people were actually shocked that I had hair on my head! :drunk: Uhm okay! But I was flattered in a weird way. But when I get WL (my goal) OOOooMMMmmmGGGggeEEEeee it's on baby!!!!!!!!!!! I"m going to get a nice silk roller set and saran wrap and wooooork it!!

I love this thread! Any more recent stories ladies? I've been a long time lurker but I'm subscribed now so leh'go!

Curlykale

Maybe you have experienced this: you are wearing your hair down, it's a good hair day, and you are buying a shampoo.You feel kinda... observed, lol. A minute after the woman behind you is analising the shampoo you just bought. I had my hair in a braidout yesterday. A blond and a Chinese girl were very observing me, trying to pretend they weren't. They both went to suspiciously study the Giovanni shampoo afterwards. LOL (I went back to check of course as it was too funny)

lushlady

I went to an expo in DC yesterday. It was geared toward black women so of course there were all kinds of hair vendors there. One of the DC area dominican salons was there and one of the ladies stopped me to talk to me and give me her flyer. The whole time she was talking to me she was staring at my bun that was high atop my head and very full. It was like she was a wolf and my bun was a sheep. It made me smile a little.

StarScream35

Sista, hold tight, I know you will get there. Never doubt. The funny thing is once you have grown your hair waist length a few, it becomes a been there done that type of thing. I think the best part is getting there. I've had my hair to my waist a few times so right now I'm just letting it grow. Here are my experiences with long hair and you will experience this too!! :grin:

Getting my hair caught in the car door and car window.........OUCH!!! :spinning:

Longer detangling sessions. LAWD :nono:

Whispers that sound like this.........Is that her hair or I wonder which number that is

I look forward to the sistas who put their hand in my head at the same time asking if it's weave. Please please please ask before you touch. 100% of the time I will say yes, I promise! :yep:

Stares from whites and Asians and sometimes even comments and questions. :ohwell:

The are you mixed with something question. :grin:

Long shedded hairs that end up in your underwear and you don't know its there until it starts to tickle at the wrong place and wrong time........Ya know when you can't make it to the bathroom to see what the hey it is. :blush:

I don't go to black salons anymore but when I did, there was the constant pressure from stylists to cut my hair. Shut Up Already!!! :sad:

What else?? Hmm......oh yeah I look forward to the deep burning desire to get it cut into a bob or short do because no matter what, it never fails that when I grow my hair long short cuts become enticing and look good on EVERYBODY! :lachen:

Oh, how could I forget, the endless hate from sistas who believe they cannot grow their hair long. OMG..............I've been hated on so much I could write a book. Watch out for this because jealousy is an evil thing that causes people to do stupid stuff.

Last edited:

Boujoichic

My hair felt long for about a week after I made BSL now I want more! lol hairexia has set in. I protective style in weaves over the summer I had a long curly weave. I removed my weave and wore a wash and go that had shrunken up to my shoulders to work one day. At lunch my coworkers were asking me if I cut my hair apparently my curly weave had them fooled. I explained that before my hair was a weave but I tried to explain to them that my hair was longer then SL but that curly hair shrinks so it looks shorter. The next week I decided to straighten my hair I hadn't straightened since about April and It was now October. I was walking through the building making my own wind hair just blowing back and my theme music playing in my head. Last time I had straightened I was Apl I was now touching BSL and feeling so good I sat down at my desk and my coworkers stood up to look. I got called Miss Long hair don't care and the girl who asked previously if I had cut my hair when I did my wash and go actually raked her fingers through my hair trying to feel tracks I was like "It's mine girl" lol. Another girl who sits across from me asked "Can I touch it" I was like ok and she just patted it real quick and was like "Its so soft!" I was really flattered. Everyone is still amazed by how much my hair shrinks when its curly.
My long term goal is WL but I was just looking at a few of the ladies who posted in this threads hair and I may have to change that to HL I'm getting greedy

JudithO

Before I went natural.. SL is the longest I ever remember my hair... Right now I'm about BSB natural but my hair shrinks so much I still think it's SL until I pull it down. The truth is I don't know how to have long hair... I still get a rush each time I pull my hair down... lol... This year though... I plan to wear more styles to show off my length... lol.. I need to get used to this...

So the other day.. this girl was talking about her mum's hair..

she said ... "OMG Judith my mum's hair is soo long... like as long as your hair.... in less than a year she'll have hair almost as long as mine".... BTW her hair is not even SL.....

I just giggled and kept it moving.... :)

caribeandiva

Human being
ME ME! I have a story!! (copied from another thread)

My hair is a little longer than SL so of course it's not long by any standard. I got my hair colored and flatironed 2 weeks ago for the first time since I went natural. My hair was looking good! Full of body and swangin' (If I do say so myself!). Even my stylist was shocked by how long my hair was compared to my TWA.

Anyway, after I left the salon, I was leaving a store. I walked to my car just as the wind is blowing, and blowing my hair behind me . I got into my car and was about to pull into traffic when this white man comes running toward my car flagging me down. Of course I thought there was something wrong with my car. So I stopped, rolled down my windows and asked him what's going on. He said: "I just had to tell that you are hot! I hope you're not offended or anything. That's all." and with that he waved and kept on walking. That made my week!