Ladies that are APL and Higher...

What took you so long to get from SL-APL?

• Using heat way too much

Votes: 20 10.9%
  • Not Protective Styling

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • Stopped your regimen

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Stopped using growth aides/vitamins

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I don't know what you're talking about, didn't take me long!

Votes: 71 38.8%
  • A combination of these things.

Votes: 43 23.5%

• Total voters

supermodelsonya

According to the going poll, SL to APL is the hardest length to get to? Why do you think that is?

There are a lot of SL ladies on this forum that want APL and wanna know!

Spill the beans! LOL

Denise11

I didn't know APL was the hardest to get to. I think it's BSL. I've always been APL, but it so hard getting to BSL. I just started so maybe I'm just impatient.

Anyway, I want to know too. Maybe I can apply your techniques to reach BSL.

Sorry I hijacked this thread. I apologize. But this is a very good thread.

Simply_Kelz

I was using too much heat. Protective styling, frequent deep conditioning, and cowashing helped me get over that hump, because I had to take extra special care of my ends, since I wasn't trimming and they were old.

I fell off towards the end of 2008 with my flatironing and blowdrying.

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I can honestly say that when I had a mini chop 2 years ago back to SL, I was stunned...I am one of those people who hair just grows, so I never paid any attention to it. I always, always, wore my hair down and I always reached APL with no problem..But with those that are struggling, I do think protective styling will help immensely. I'm one to talk, right? I think the best advice is to just keep your ends off your shoulders.

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I didn't know APL was the hardest to get to. I think it's BSL. I've always been APL, but it so hard getting to BSL. I just started so maybe I'm just impatient.

Anyway, I want to know too. Maybe I can apply your techniques to reach BSL.

Sorry I hijacked this thread. I apologize. But this is a very good thread.

I'm with you on that...BSL is laughing at me...... :lachen:<----BSL

Sunshyn3

IMO, BSL is the hardest. It took me 7 months to go from damaged SL to full APL. I was very strict with my regimen and products then. After I got to APL, I reached BSL or so in about 5 months, I started incorporating different things and my ends didn't hold up too well so I had to do a big trim. Now I'm a past APL crossing my fingers to reach full BSL by summer '09.

half.cadence

I picked the "I don't know what you're talking about, didn't take me long!" option. I went from SL to APL in about 5 months.. Aug. 07 I was barely at CBL..by Feb. 08 I was a apl.

I basically started frequent washing, stepped back from the heat, listened to my hair as far as the moisture/protein balance goes, and did buns/protective styles during that time.

Angelicus

Opinion: It's harder to go from SL to APL because the hair is in contact with the shoulders a lot. This contact causes friction, which leads to more split ends that you'll have to cut.

supermodelsonya

Thanks for the ladies that responded. But there is a WHOLE thousand pages of women saying that SL-APL was the devil! LOL I just want to know what they were doing wrong or what they felt was holding them back.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
It took me about nine months. Everybody's hair does not grow at the same pace. I had cornrows for over 2 months, got braids and did whatever I could to keep my hair off my shoulders. and I also got some trims because I had split ends caused by dominican blowouts (My hair doesn't too much heat).

When my hair was not in braids, I washed and DC'd twice a week, did not use a lot of products. I had to learn what my hair liked (still learning) and most of all did not jump onto bandwagons.

Pamper your hair and she will thank you for it:grin::lachen:

Last edited:

audacity.

Opinion: It's harder to go from SL to APL because the hair is in contact with the shoulders a lot. This contact causes friction, which leads to more split ends that you'll have to cut.

OR they (the ends) are breaking off as fast as its growing...

to get over the hump: protective style, moisturize, condition and did i say moisturize!

BABY YOUR ENDS!

LivingDol1

i am APL and the only reason why i am is because i kept my hair in braids for 2.5 years. i washed my hair once a week if i felt like it and used hair oil from my salon on my scalp.

i think putting my hair away was the only thing that helped. prior to that, my hair was never longer than just below shoulder length.

but... when i had shoulder length hair, i was doing these things that probably hindered hair growth:

- i went to the salon religiously and got trims when i was told "i needed it" which was probably every 6 to 8 weeks
- when i washed my own hair, i blow dried it. i did not use heat protectants... or a leave in conditioner. i never roller set my hair ever.
- i wore my hair out alllll the time. constantly rubbing on my clothes.

basically i didn't pay much attention to how i treated my hair. i wanted it to grow. i just didn't know how to get there and i didn't know about this board. :)

Jazala

For me it has to do with the distance between SL and APL. It seems like it's taking forever because its about 5 or 6 inches apart whereas from APL to BSL will only be 2 or 3 inches.

Tamrin

unapologetic
I was using too much heat, no protective styles, relaxing every 6 weeks and sleeping on my comfy cotton pillow case. because of that I was stuck between chin and shoulder since I was 18. Now I'm in my 30's and I found APL heading for BSL.

supermodelsonya

Well good for you Longdayinthepark! I was wondering why so many people was saying it was the "devil" but didn't really explain why. I just don't want this to be the hardest hump for me.

I'd rather be APL chasing BSL than SL chasing APL....I hope that makes sense to somebody.

LOL....my hair has never been longer than NL.

luckiestdestiny

It wasn't hard for me, but at the time I was constantly braiding my hair up. So I guess I was doing a sort of "crown and glory" method without knowing it. My hair just breezed by. It did take time but not more than my getting to the other lengths or my current MBL (slightly longer than MBL) length.

Tamrin

unapologetic
Well good for you Longdayinthepark! I was wondering why so many people was saying it was the "devil" but didn't really explain why. I just don't want this to be the hardest hump for me.

I'd rather be APL chasing BSL than SL chasing APL....I hope that makes sense to somebody.

LOL....my hair has never been longer than NL.

You make sense. Just keep those ends protected, DC regularly, Low manipulation styles and moisturize.

Something I need to remind you. I SEE THIS HERE A LOT. People keep saying my hair is not growing.

The real answer is : You are not retaining what you grow. Your hair grows, if not why on earth do all the relaxed girls need touch ups. The key is to baby your ends a lot of people concentrate on the root and scalp. I'm not saying not to care for your scalp. I'm saying spend more time and energy on your ends.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
It didn't take me that long. Took about 7 months from SL. I was washing 2x a week, DCing with heat each time and protective styling all the time and NO trimming whatsoever. I retained all my growth during that time so it was pretty easy I think. I trim more now so it takes me longer to reach my goals. Need to rethink that:look:

HeyItsHoney

I just think that SL-APL comes in first because that's the length most of us are!

I also think some claim SL waaaaay to early, but that's another thread....lol

Patricia

I didn't take me long at all. I guess I wasn't paying attention. Really APL not hard . APL with thick hair is a challenge!

Tamrin

unapologetic
I didn't take me long at all. I guess I wasn't paying attention. Really APL not hard . APL with thick hair is a challenge!

You are so right. I see too many APL with thin scraggly hair. I claimed it but Im still iffy. I feel my hair is still less than. I want thick lush We will see in March.

Determined22

It took me about a year to go from SL to APL. I bootcamped all of 2008, and finally made APL in December. It took an entire year because I was still going through trims to remove damaged ends, and still tweaking my regimen. Now I have a good regimen, my hair is healthy from root to tip, so hopefully getting to BSL won't take as long.

Bootcamping was the way to go for me to get to APL. No direct heat and protective styles all the time got me there.

Thanks for the ladies that responded. But there is a WHOLE thousand pages of women saying that SL-APL was the devil! LOL I just want to know what they were doing wrong or what they felt was holding them back.

LOL and it is the DEVIL:mob:.... I agree with another poster who said "that since SL hair rubs against our shoulders in effect causing split ends and breakage" has made this transitional phase the hardest for most. Now SuperModel....I'm right with you and I responded in that other post where 80% of the ladies said that SL to APL was their uphill battle, and I'm asking where are they myself. It's seems like the APL to BSL came out of hiding in this thread and I'm hating :grin: on all their beautiful heads; you guy's are my inspiration.

But for me to answer your question it's been a mix of two stumbling blocks. 1. Too much heat on my natural head; I was getting press outs every other week (faithfully). And 2. Since I was getting my beautiful press outs (pics in fotki :yep:) it caused me to constantly wear my hair down, where I saw the never ending breakage on my clothing and especially on my wool over coat...poor coat TORTURED my hair!!

So now I'm using NO heat and constantly up like in the picture's below :drunk: I read as long as the ends are not touching clothing I should be ok...so I try to switch it up now and again from my bun, because constantly wearing a bun was about to me me go crazy...styles are my thing!

So hopefully it works. And on a side note, I've been nursing my ends back to life!!

Last edited:
I just think that SL-APL comes in first because that's the length most of us are!

I also think some claim SL waaaaay to early, but that's another thread....lol

I'm guilty of that...I guess the anticipation of achieving the goal has you delusional :lachen:. But yea...I tried claming APL but was brought back to reality once I saw TRUE APL, so I just say I'm full shoulder length for now.

camilla

I AM LAYERED APL TRYING TO GROW OUT THE LAST LAYERS... BUT MY HAIR REALLY GREW WHEN I STOPPED THE HEAT!!! I ROLLER SET OR BOMINICAN BLOW OUT EVERY OTHER WEEK AND WEAR IT UP OR TWISTOUT,BUN OR BRAIS OUT PONYON MY OFF WEEK I THINK THAT WEARING MY HAIR DOWN CONSTANTLY WAS CAUSING ALOT OF SPLIT ENDS I AM ABOUT TO GO CROWN AND GLORY FOR ABOUT 2 TO THREE MONTHS WITH SOME MICRO BRAIDS...
MY HAIR NEEDS A VACATION IN THE WINTER:auto::lachen:
WITH THE WET AND WAVY I CAN SPRAY IT DOWN EVER DAY TO EVERY OTHER DAY AND CO WASH ONCE A WEEK WITHOUT MANIPULATION I WILL BRAID UNTIL JUNE AND TAKE DOWN FOR MY :bday5: