Is WSL the new standard on the board?

Mbl/wsl is a new goal for me. My original goal was blunt bsl which I hope to make in dec 2011.

My goal is natural MBL, but stretched it will most likely be WL. I don't think my shrinkage will be too out of control but I'm not betting on that :lachen:

I've wanted hair all the way down to my butt ever since I saw Jasmine and The Little Mermaid (Thanks Disney!) But now that I'm older...I still have that goal but for a new reason: To see how long my afro-textured hair can get! Cuz I always believed afro-textured hair couldn't get long, except for those 2 lucky girls in school, haha, y'all know who I mean! (yeah, I was ignorant).

But I would love to have hair down to my butt and then say to anyone who asks, "Yeah, I've never had hair past my shoulders before, but it CAN be done with healthy hair habits!"

I'm WSL now and I still have hair anorexia

my problem is that I'm trying to get to BSL curly and so far my curly hair shrinks to SL. I feel like it'll take classic length straight to get to the curly hair I desire. Shrinkage is a witch.

I'm shooting for MBL as my ultimate goal for now. I'm sure that as soon as I reach MBL that I'll be looking on WL though.

Nah, MBL naturally stretched is fine with me. I know my limitations. If it continues to grow unconsciously on my part, so be it. But, it's not an intentional goal.

waist length is not my personal goal, but i do see a lot of ladies come here with more extreme length goals. if they can achieve it, why not? ♥

Probably so for most of the women here, there's a poll in here somewhere. I just want Bra Strap length hair unstretched.

I do think a lot of people are seeing WL as possible for them. But I also think that as mainstream black haircare seems to be focusing on health, many women are already coming to boards with decent APL/BSL hair, so wsl is an extra challenge for them.

I personally want HL stretched. But I will enjoy my hair when its at BSL and WSL.

WL is not my standard. I do believe that we can grow to great lengths once we learn what works for our hair and overcome any setbacks.
My final goal I THINK is tailbone. Not sure if I'll like how it looks when I get there and may cut back if it's too much. I'm only 5 '4 1/2 don't know if that's too much hair on my frame. We'll see when I get there. I never estimate when because a watched pot never boils. I just make sure to retain every inch through low manipulation and braids.

Last edited:
I think thanks to many of the ladies here, more women on this board now think it's possible to grow hair that long.

When I became a member in late 2006, it seems like everyone was trying for bra strap length. Now it seems forget BSL, you ain't long until you are waist length. It might be that we are the pioneers in growing long hair and waist length is possible for most women of color. As stated in the thread about 4b hair, even 4b is possible if you do a lot of protective hair styling. Does anyone else feel this way? Is WSL where most of us are trying to get to?

Yes I want long thick WL hair

I want MBL-WL because I have never had hair that long before. BSL is OK but my hair has been hovering between APL and BSL all my life. I want LONG hair. To me thats waist length.

Yes, this does seem to be the trend, but I still just want APL (straightened). That would be a huge milestone for me. I really think super long hair would not be very cute on me, so APL w/cute layers is my goal.

Yep, WL is my long term goal (for now). I just want "room to play" so that if I want to cut a bit or have a set-back, from WL my hair would still be long.

BSB would be beyond awesome for me. MBL would be the icing on the cake. WSL is even better but WSL seems to be way too much hair for me. Going through conditioners and shampoos often would be my issue.

I guess people have seen that the possibilities are endless!

AMEN AMEN.....Fotki's and LHCF (among many other sites) have us truly SPOILED....But in a good way....Its like eating fruit from the tree of knowledge.....once you know...there is no stopping...you can't take that knowledge back....

When I saw Sera's fotki when she hit WL and I knew she was a natural type 4...I was like "Oh heck naw" I can do this!

So like many others...my goal is WL!

Even those who ARE WL (their original goal) look forward and be like: I'm going for Tailbone, Hip, or Classic length.

But, now that my hair is APL (stretched) my shrinkage has me at NL. I figure, if I go WL, then my shrinkage should hit APL. I'll be happy!

That is the only reason why I want WL hair (Stretched) as well. I'm natural and APL NATURAL hair is more becoming.

I'd be good with BSB. At least I think I will be good with BSB. I guess I'll see when I get there. What I really want is to be able to rock a braidout and it hit b/w SL and APL. I think BSB will give me that.

I would love to have waisth length curly hair (that would be like knee length straight). I want to grow my hair as long as possible :yep:

I personally want waistlength so I can get some decent hang time even with my shrinkage. When I was relaxed MBL seemed like a pretty decent goal but now that Im natural depending on my shrinkage if Im lucky I may look APL curly if my hair is WSL stretched hair. Right now Im past CBL stretched but NL curly

Last edited:
MBL is my goal. Maybe once I reach that I will reach further. But right now Im about at BSL and that is a big deal to me because I will grab some scissors in a minute, lol

I want WL and I want it bad! Right now I'm just brushing APL. I remember one girl said something along the lines of 'I want to be able to sit naked and luxuriate in my hair covering me.'

I wouldn't mind that either.

I guess people have seen that the possibilities are endless!

Exactly! I started my hhg journey when I discovered lhcf in the summer of 2008. Before lhcf I thought it was near impossible to get my hair to sl. Now my hair is past my arm pit and now I'm dreaming about bsl, mbl & wl. It's ok if I don't make wl but it's exciting to see it growing. Also, I had the mindset that only certain hair types could reach wl. Thanks to you ladies I know better now!:grin:

LOL I think hair-anorexia is contagious.
I think WL is one of my goals along with APL, BSL, HL, Classic length etc. I am trying not to stress so my one true goal is to never cut again, I can search and destroy, trim or shape but I made a promise to myself to just never cut it again. Whatever will be will be.

This is my exact new philosophy too.

My girlfriend and I were just discussing this today (sort of). I just realized upon taking down my last set of twists that I'm APL now. She was so excited and then she asked me what my goal was. Well, I never set a length goal. I just wanted the ultra thick hair that I had as a child. I had that after I transitioned for one year and then chopped off the relaxed ends. I was neck length but I couldn't keep my hands out of it!

So, I may be one of the few woman on this board that doesn't have a length goal.

I ended up telling her, I guess we'll just see where it goes and how much I can manage. When I can't do it myself, then it's too much.

Back