I tried a ponytail rollerset!!! (((with pics)))

zzirvingj

I did a ponytail rollerset last nite!! (And it took FOR-EV-AH!!!) LOL :lachen:

I think it came out good for my first try. The roots were still pretty crappy though. I liked the curls so much I kept them in overnight, but I was NOT feeling how it looked when I woke up this morning!! It was kinda grandma-looking-ish 4 some reason...Anyways so I did end up flat ironing the roots, and then decided to wrap it, when I took it down it looked good but I just snapped a photo at work and it looks like POOF CITY!!!! :lachen::perplexed Anyways, that's ok cuz I just wanted to practice a rollerset for once.

Based on how it came out last night I will DEFINITELY be trying the ponytail rollerset again. Next time I will make more of an effort to leave the curls in and just wear it out and curly. I think I could definitely get the hang of it with a lil more practice...:yep:...I want that Tracee Ellis Ross look!! :yep:

Rollers In:

RollersIn.jpg

Rollers Out:

Rollerset2.jpg

Rollerset4.jpg

Rollerset3.jpg

Slightly bumped roots with Maxiglide:

Rollerset5.jpg

Rollerset6.jpg

Rollerset7.jpg

Rollerset8.jpg

Rollerset9.jpg

Rollerset10.jpg

Poofy hair!!!!: :lachen: :blush:

Poofyhair.jpg

***ETA: I meant to say this when I originally wrote this thread: I'm natural with 4a/b texture, as shown below...so if I can set my hair I'm hoping other naturals will give it a try too...

puff-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I've never thought of that. It looks cute though! I may have to try it one day! Thanks!

*ETA* You are my hair role model by the way!!! :notworthy:

Last edited:
Your hair has a very nice shine and thickness to it. The ponytail rollerset came out great! I don't have the patience to do that with my hair. The longer it gets, the more I hate doing it.

Thanks ladies! I came back to give details on what I used:

Shampoo'ed with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture

Conditioned with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture

Steam treatment Frederick Fekkai's Shea Butter mask mixed with a little SAA for 30 mins (thanx SamanthaJones!)

Detangled with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture

Used Giovanni Direct as leave-in and sealed with a tiny tiny bit of Redken heat glide

Sprayed with diluted Lottabody bottle (1 part lottabody to 2 parts distilled water) mixed with a half capful of SAA to keep wet while rollersetting

I have to try this. Very nice! :up:

Try it!! I recommend it! :yep: Thanks to Pokahontas 4 the tutorial in her fotki...also another natural on here tried this and raved about and that's what made me try it..I have to find her post so I can mention her.

I am very "style challenged", lol....but I've been SO tired of my hair lately...I HAD to try something different...I needed a change...and I've been wanting to learn how to rollerset so I wouldn't have to blow dry.

For those of you who have a hand-held blow dryer and are considering buying a soft bonnet dryer, consider this: you could just buy the "attachment" that attaches to your handheld dryer. At first I was skeptical doing this, but I bought the Belson one for $9.99 out of Sally's and attached it my Revlon 1875 ionic dryer and used it for the first time to do this rollerset. Worked fine for me :yep:

FYI...for those who don't know, I'm natural with 4a/b texture. If my uncoordinated self can rollerset, you can too lmao :lachen:

The pic below is of a shrunken/dry puff from 2005..I included it so you could get an idea of the texture of my hair (that's probably the most recent pic I have of it mostly dry and shrunken up because I rarely will wear it all out and let it just dry anymore due to tangles).

puff-1.jpg

The key is to make sure your hair is saturated...I mean completely wet...when setting it on the roller. I had to keep re-spraying my hair with my spray bottle and combing through it to make sure it was totally straight b4 placing the roller on. The roots were still an issue, but I think I'll be able to get the roots straighter next time...

Very nice!!! I had no idea you were natural. Have you ever been relaxed.

Last edited:
Very nice!!! I had no idea you were natural. Have you ever been relaxed.

Yes, I've been natural for....well it'll be 6 years on the last week of December :grin:.

Most of the rest of my life I was relaxed (got my first relaxer at around age 4! :blush::blush::blush:) I BC'd to a TWA in late 02....

I did a ponytail rollerset last nite!! (And it took FOR-EV-AH!!!) LOL :lachen:

I think it came out good for my first try. The roots were still pretty crappy though. I liked the curls so much I kept them in overnight, but I was NOT feeling how it looked when I woke up this morning!! It was kinda grandma-looking-ish 4 some reason...Anyways so I did end up flat ironing the roots, and then decided to wrap it, when I took it down it looked good but I just snapped a photo at work and it looks like POOF CITY!!!! :lachen::perplexed Anyways, that's ok cuz I just wanted to practice a rollerset for once.

Based on how it came out last night I will DEFINITELY be trying the ponytail rollerset again. Next time I will make more of an effort to leave the curls in and just wear it out and curly. I think I could definitely get the hang of it with a lil more practice...:yep:...I want that Tracee Ellis Ross look!! :yep:

Poofy hair!!!!: :lachen: :blush:

Poofyhair.jpg

How long before your hair fell like this? is this a same-day result after you took out the rollers? Any wraping done? This is dope! I might try this the first time I try to straighten.....Thanks Z....

^^^Fine4s: I did the rollerset last night and I did a "silk wrap" this morning. (Meaning I combed my hair into a wrap, secured with saran wrap, and set under the dryer for 15 minutes.) This morning when I took it down from the wrap, it looked like the "poofy hair pic" I took at work.

So to get it a lil straighter I did a quick pass with my Maxiglide over the roots one last time on low before leaving the house, and it did flatten out some more, but by the time I got to work it was poofy again, as you will see from the pic (go figure).

OK...4a/b natural is resounding in my head. I thought you were transitioning. How in the world did your hair come out so flat on those rollers? I know you said your hair has to be soaking wet and I can see that. But I don't think THIS 4a/b hair is going to lay like that. Your hair looks alot like my sisters and she's 3c. I don't know if my hair would come out that smooth...

Back