Ponytail Rollerset Results

yamilee21

Last week I went to the local Sally Beauty store to check out hard bonnet dryers and look for 3-inch magnetic rollers. I only found 3-inch foam rollers, so I bought those instead. I did a ponytail rollerset with them the same night, but it didn't have enough time to dry properly. Still, it seemed promising - I used to use foam rollers (1-inch) for ponytail rollersets years ago, and the larger size gave much better results.
I tried it again this week. First I did a lazy deep conditioning with olive oil and honey mixed into Tresemme conditioner. I washed with the Trader Joe Nourish Spa shampoo and used the Herbal Essence Hello Hydration conditioner. I blotted my hair with a t-shirt, separated into three sections, liberally applied my temporary leave-in conditioner mixture (TJ Nourish Spa Conditioner, water, jojoba oil and wheat germ oil), combed that through and put a little castor oil on the ends. I used five rollers on each of the ponytails on the side, and four rollers for the ponytail on the top, plus a smaller ponytail with just one roller for the front section that used to be my bangs. I left the rollers in overnight, maybe a total of 15 hours.

It's not perfect, but it actually looks about the same as when I used to rollerset and sit under the dryer for two+ hours. I put it into one ponytail to go out.

What I should have done was take pictures every hour throughout the day, to show the ponytail shrinking up my back; it was barely grazing my shoulders by the time I got home, :lachen:. A little moisturizer and oil had it looking okay again in no time though.
And then I did a search here and read about how evil foam rollers are, :ohwell:, so I'm going to have to buy some satin to cover them up if I want to keep using this technique.

Last edited:
Your hair looks good.
Until you find some satin, you can put end paper around it. That should help....

You don't show off your hair enough! I am a fan!

Does anyone know of any tutorials for ponytail rollersets? Is this something that can only be done on long hair?

What kind of ponytail holders did you use?
Either the Scunci Snagless or the Goody Ouchless, it's a big pack of 30, or maybe 50. They break very easily which is probably why there are so many in a pack.

... Does anyone know of any tutorials for ponytail rollersets? Is this something that can only be done on long hair?
There are a few on YouTube, I think by members here because the hair looks familiar. The ones I saw are with longer hair, and magnetic rollers. My magnetic rollers are too wide (4 inches) to fit on my head, even with a ponytail rollerset, and I don't have enough big ones of the regular width, hence the foam rollers. But even with really short hair, I think it should still be possible, maybe with the smallest perm rods?

... Especially for the rollers that you used.
:perplexed Are foam rollers really all that bad? I know they are not a preferred tool on this forum, but I always got decent result from them, even with the smaller size. I always used a lot of leave-in conditioner and left them in a super-long time, maybe that makes a difference? I don't really know anyone in real-life who has used them regularly besides me though.

There are a few on YouTube, I think by members here because the hair looks familiar. The ones I saw are with longer hair, and magnetic rollers. My magnetic rollers are too wide (4 inches) to fit on my head, even with a ponytail rollerset, and I don't have enough big ones of the regular width, hence the foam rollers. But even with really short hair, I think it should still be possible, maybe with the smallest perm rods?

Thanks for the info

Simply beautiful results. If you continue to use the foam rollers use some end papers to protect the hair.

Back