Sweating Before Relaxing - How Long to Wait

JFK

Hi Ladies,

I wanted to relax my hair tonight but it is like 99 degrees in DC and I've been sweating like crazy today.

How long should I wait?

I read somewhere that the pores are open when you sweat.

I was thinking of blowdrying my head on cool to close the pores (....yes, I'm being really press.)

Any advice/info./experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IDK how long to wait, but I usually avoid sweating about a day. Once I worked out the morning of a retouch and wooowsers:burning:! Lesson learned

IDK how long to wait, but I usually avoid sweating about a day. Once I worked out the morning of a retouch and wooowsers:burning:! Lesson learned

Thanks for replying.

I think I'm in a tough situation. Summertime is on full blast right now so I don't see myself escaping the day without sweating.

I would have said about twenty four to forty eight hours. Alternatively you may have to base your scalp with vaseline to protect it.

i like the idea of blow drying on cool to close your pores. Perhaps if you do that at night and then base your scalp good you'll be fine to relax in the morning. Personally back when I was relaxing my scalp needed a good 48 to 72 hours of calm to enable me to relax with out ill effects.

man...go head and relax. Do u know how much i sweat in this hot apt. when i'm prepping my scalp for my relaxer. Just put extra vaseline or whatever u use on your scalp. you'll be fine. Blow drying on cool doesn't guarantee that all your pores are gonna close so u really have no way of knowing what your pores are doing.

I would wait until the weekend because it is gonna be about 100 tomorrow, so you might sweat a good hair do out. Slick it back in a ponytail and tough it out. It is supposed to get cooler by Friday so I would wait until then to do it. I wouldn't chance the burn.

I usually exercise and sweat outside in the Florida heat the day b4 a relaxer, so I would say don't worry bout it. Just go ahead and relax

Don't let a lil sweat stop you from relaxing! :)

It's been scorching where I live since March, so I can understand what you are going through. Just follow all of your normal pre-relaxer steps and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Comet using Long Hair Care Forum App

Thanks guys. I'm just going to go ahead and do it today. God willing, everything will turn out alright.

OK I did it!

I relaxed in halves and didn't even base. (Note: I based about 2 days ago though).

No burning/scabs. I used Silk Elements with Shea Butter.

Though I left it in for the maxiumum time directed my hair came out a bit texlaxed. I don't mind though because I have very thin hair and need as much body as I can get.

I was SL fully natural so this was a virgin relaxer.

I'm so happy with the results but need a MAJOR cut/trim because my split ends and breakage while natural was ridiculous. Thanks for your help ladies!

Workout sweat may be different than just walking outside while it's hot sweat. Not sure if the scalp responds the same but I do understand that sweat is sweat not matter how it's generated. However, I live in a hot climate and I do sweat occasionally. My scalp tends to do fine. It's workout sweat that causes burning.

Stylist suggests 24 hours. I personally try to keep my scalp calm for 3 days.

Workout sweat may be different than just walking outside while it's hot sweat. Not sure if the scalp responds the same but I do understand that sweat is sweat not matter how it's generated. However, I live in a hot climate and I do sweat occasionally. My scalp tends to do fine. It's workout sweat that causes burning.

Stylist suggests 24 hours. I personally try to keep my scalp calm for 3 days.

Hmm interesting. I have worked out in the past the morning of my relaxer day on several occasions and my scalp is dry by the time I am in my stylist's chair and I have never burned. And I was going to do the same next Monday as it's my relaxer day. I may have to rethink that.....:nervous2:

Back