French Perm Stabilizer is a God send!!!

It would stop a chemical action in it's tracks. I think it would choke my natural hair!!

I'm so glad you had it on hand to help. I used to keep Porosity Control on hand when I was relaxed for the same reason.

Girl I almost posted the bottle in the exchange form. That was first thing i thought of when the neutralizing poo was not working.

Thanks dlewis!!!!

I am 16 weeks post today and gave up last week when rollersetting since I just could not get the comb through my hair.

I washed tonight with diluted CON (I had used mineral oil and cones) and then cowashed with VO5 Moisture Milks (Strawberries & cream - which gave some slip but I'm not in love). I did my dc with ORS Replenishing for 30 minutes and rinsed. I had lots of slip on the length but not the roots.

I decided to try French Perm Stabilizer and was shocked at the results. This stuff foams up quickly (almost lather but not thick) and once I rinsed it out my hair felt super silky.

I added my HE LTR and was able to rollerset 16 week post hair with a RATTAIL comb!!!! I had minimal hair in the comb - a rattail comb - once I was finished.:grin:

I'm about to dry under my Pibbs now. I'm excited to see the results.

Edited to add pictures of finished hair
http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/french-perm-stabili/

Wow, love the results...congrats.

I have to try this.

I think something may be wrong w/ my batch...it never foams up:nono:. I'm going to try it again tonight...thanks RegsWife and DLewis!

I stopped by Sally's on the way home and the pH on this is 2.5 according to the bottle!! That's really low... Isn't that first ingredient rubbing alcohol? :look: Let me do a quick Google....

ETA: Sure is :blush: I'll pass on this one, but the very low pH is interesting!

I assume that the pH is so low because they are using a lot of carboxylic acid,which has a very low pH, in and of itself.

:look: I REALLY need to get some pH strips. Seriously, I'mma be pH testing everything I use on my hair. I really think that using things that try to keep your hair at a 4.5 pH would make a HUGE difference in hair health and apperance.

To gain in-depth, clinical knowledge of hair chemistry one must first have knowledge of the pH scale and what it represents. The pH scale is a measure of value for potential hydrogen, for which there are two chemical extremes: acid or alkaline. The scale runs numerically from 0-14, with 7 serving as neutral. A measure of pH 0-6.9 is considered acid, while a measure of 7.1-14 is considered alkaline. As you move toward either extreme (acid toward 0, alkaline toward 14), the more caustic and stronger a substance will become. Substances which are acid have a positive electrical charge (+), while alkaline substances have a negative electrical charge (-).
In a normal, healthy state hair is positively charged and will be found in a pH range between 4.5-5.5. Therefore, we can state that hair, in its optimum state, is acidic. Hair which has a pH above 7 will become alkaline and hold a negative electrical charge. When this occurs, the hair will exhibit damage to varying degrees. Examples of how hair becomes alkaline:
* Natural body chemistry
* Inferior, alkaline-based products
* Chemical solutions (perms, colours, bleaches, etc.)
* Thermal styling appliances (blow dryers, curling irons, hot rollers)
When hair is in its proper pH range (4.5-5.5), the cuticle is compact and constricted. This serves to protect the cortex, impart sheen, align the bonding (optimum configuration for strength and elasticity) and positively charge the hair in preparation for chemical services. In the event the hair is in an alkaline state (above pH 7), the cuticle is raised (tangles, dullness), the cortex is exposed (dryness, damage), and the hair will not readily or evenly accept chemical services.
The proper pH can be attained or maintained by using a low pH product (usually 3.0-3.5; substances below 2.0 are considered caustic). This will reduce alkaline levels and allow the hair to assume a proper pH (4.5-5.5). This process is called acidification, and it is the first and most vital factor in hair chemistry and hair care. Important factors to remember:
* All chemical service solutions are alkaline.
* Distilled water is pH 7.0 (neutral).

I don't even care about chemical services, really - *snort* - but all of the other stuff that's so just PERFECT for how I want my hair to be and act.
That's from here - I really need to break down and get those strips. *sigh* I need more SAA, too, so I think I'll just make an order. :yep:

I assume that the pH is so low because they are using a lot of carboxylic acid,which has a very low pH, in and of itself.

:look: I REALLY need to get some pH strips. Seriously, I'mma be pH testing everything I use on my hair. I really think that using things that try to keep your hair at a 4.5 pH would make a HUGE difference in hair health and apperance.

I don't even care about chemical services, really - *snort* - but all of the other stuff that's so just PERFECT for how I want my hair to be and act.
That's from here - I really need to break down and get those strips. *sigh* I need more SAA, too, so I think I'll just make an order. :yep:

Girl this post is BINGO!! :clap: ...I some how figured this out through trial and error, my hair loves loves LOVES low pH stuff. Thank you bunches for posting this. One of my favorite products is Nexxus Ensure, pH 3.0.

I need some acidification in my life

This right here is the Holy Grail of hair:
<<When hair is in its proper pH range (4.5-5.5), the cuticle is compact and constricted. This serves to protect the cortex, impart sheen, align the bonding (optimum configuration for strength and elasticity)>>

Last edited:
Girl this post is BINGO!! :clap: ...I some how figured this out through trial and error, my hair loves loves LOVES low pH stuff. Thank you bunches for posting this. One of my favorite products is Nexxus Ensure, pH 3.0.

I need some acidification in my life

This right here is the Holy Grail of hair:
<<When hair is in its proper pH range (4.5-5.5), the cuticle is compact and constricted. This serves to protect the cortex, impart sheen, align the bonding (optimum configuration for strength and elasticity)>>

The bolded is the very reason why I finish off my hair with cool water. My hair looks a thousand times better when I do this. The FPSP and the Porosity Control are staples of mine now too. Correcting the hair's pH really does make a big difference in the overall health and appearance of it.

I'm still a bit confused by ph.

will FPSP give my hair a ph of 2.5?

I'm transitioning to natural, but wouldn't mind using something like this to straighten out some of my curls.

should naturals have a ph of 7?

I'm still a bit confused by ph.

will FPSP give my hair a ph of 2.5?

I'm transitioning to natural, but wouldn't mind using something like this to straighten out some of my curls.

should naturals have a ph of 7?

No, and no.

Water has a pH of 7.0, so to allow your hair to stay at an appropriate pH, you have to use something with a very low pH, to start with, before you rinse....

No matter what texture your hair is, it's optimal pH is between 4.5 and 5.5...

Thanks again JustKiya.

I have to try this product again.

No, and no.

Water has a pH of 7.0, so to allow your hair to stay at an appropriate pH, you have to use something with a very low pH, to start with, before you rinse....

No matter what texture your hair is, it's optimal pH is between 4.5 and 5.5...

Ok, my hair is nice and soft.

I am 5-weeks post, and my new growth is softer. I would like it even softer, but so far so good. It'll get softer when I add my moisturizer.

I didn't have the easy detangling that I thought I would have. I detangled first under running water with my dc. Then while rinsing out the FPSP, and it tangled better after the dc. I then detangled a bit more while rollersetting with water and Alter Ego Rebalancing Cream.

I'll try it again next wash (I wash once a week); hopefully it will come out even better.

Thanks for suggestion RW.

i gots to get me some of this.....i'm tryin to stretch this time and i need to find some products that will help out with it, i do admit i'm kinda scurred of the alcohol though....:ohwell:

I'm 10 weeks post and having detangling issues so I'm going to get FPS this weekend.. I'll come back to tell of my experience...
Used it this weekend, it was alright..I used CON shampoo and then this product but I was combing my hair while shampooing so it might have worked because of that..The next time I use it I'm not going to comb while shampoo only during the conditioning phase and see what happens

I was in Orlando last week for a conference and I located No. 1 Beauty Supply on Orange Blossom Trail that one of the ladies mentioned in an earlier thread. I saw that they carry FPSP so I grabbed a bottle! The Sally's in my hometown doesn't carry it. I haven't used it yet but I will definitely report the results when I do.

*bumping* this thread

OK so is FPS meant to be used after a DC?

I think my old hairdresser used to use this (when my hair was healthy and BSL :rolleyes:) but she used it before the DC...

ETA: SO i'm back after rollersetting my hair. I tried the FPS before the DC and it worked out well. I am 11 weeks post and it did seem to help with detangling after I applied it. I let it sit for a few minutes and it's like the tangles started to easily fall out.

I will try it the other way too to see what happens.

Last edited:
:bump:

I used this last night after washing/condish & detangling: You cannot tell i'm 14 weeks post. My hair feels very moisturized and smooth.

How often are you all using FPSP? I was thinking of using it once a week after deep-condishing.

My stylist just used this on my hair yesterday! I didn't know what it was, I just knew that the smell was quite strong. I'm glad I came here and did some research!

It looks like this product is working well for most of you ladies. That's good! I was nervous there for a second. :look: So far, I haven't unwrapped my hair yet, so I don't know how my hair/roots feel, but I'm SO glad this product is low in ph levels because I can't afford anymore tangles in my hair.

Since I'm so far into my stretch I've been utilizing FPSP for my weekly cowashes. It's really helped greatly. My hair feels silky and detangling is much easier. For anyone who stretch long term or because you too broke to get a touch up :look:then this will allow you stretch a few more weeks without too much issues. BTW my hair did not feel dry a few days later, it remained soft. I was worried about dryness because it contains alcohol but so far I've yet to experience any.

French Perm Stabilizer is the bomb.. At 16 weeks, my hair is still easy to style. I use it after shampooing and it leaves my hair manageable.. The only problem I have is finding it in the stores.. I bought it online but I haven't been able to find it in the stores...I'll keep looking thou.

French Perm Stabilizer is the bomb.. At 16 weeks, my hair is still easy to style. I use it after shampooing and it leaves my hair manageable.. The only problem I have is finding it in the stores.. I bought it online but I haven't been able to find it in the stores...I'll keep looking thou.

Do you have a Sally's in your area? They carry it.

Thanks for posting Reg's wife, your hair looked very nice and soft. I wish I could make it to 16 weeks! I need to get that French Perm Stabilizer, stat!

Has anyone used this as a leave in, I did this the other day and got better results than when I rinsed it out. When I washed I did not use a conditioner, I applied my leave in treatment waited about 10 minutes then applied FPSP, used some wrapping foam and did my rollerset. When I took my rollers down I was like oh heck no. It looked dull and dry. It didn't feel dry though but it didn't really feel moisturized either. I wanted to rewash my hair but it was so late that I decidede I to work with it. I put in some hair oil and OMG, total transformation, hair was soft, curls were bouncy, and 2 days later it still feels the same. What really impressed me is that there's a section of my hair that I have issues with, it seems a bit underprocessed and the ends are thin and frizzy, even when I used the FPSP on wet hair it stays that way, but now it feels as healthy as the rest of my hair. This is not just the result of the oil cause I've been using this oil for some time and haven't got those results. If some one else use it as a leave in I would love to know your results.

I don't know if I did something wrong w/this stuff or what, but I tried it back in the summer and was like OH2TMFN!!! I did not enjoy this stuff. At all :nono:. I'll revisit one of these days and if it still doesn't work, just look for it in the Sale/Exchange forum :look:.

Y'all this stuff is like cooked crack!!! I love it. I jus got a relaxer and she used this in it after neut. And it's so silky. Deff gotta go buy some today

BUMP!

So let me see if I understand this correctly. French Perm Stabilizer has a PH of 2.5 and Roux PC 4.5. Water has a neutral PH of 7. Using something with a low PH like the FPS will be more effective in getting the hair PH to 4.5 as opposed to Roux. So would this mean that FPS is safe enough to use without chemical service as long as you're rinsing with water?

Hi...

I read about this product in another thread. I bought some because I have an inch and a half (in some places) of MN induced new growth after six weeks and I am trying to stretch for twenty weeks. I really wish I had discovered this during my last attempt at a stretch. I do rollersets only and I am only losing about 3 or 4 strands of hair even with this much growth. I love this product and use it once a week when I wash my hair.

One warning. Leaving it on for the 1 minute recommended time is enough. I left it on for ten minutes one day and had to DC overnight to undo the damage. Thank GOD I knew after touching my hair that something had gone drastically wrong.

Back