? For Flaxseed "Oil" users...

Mocha1111

? For Flaxseed \"Oil\" users...

I just purchased Spectrum Essential Veg Omega-3 Organic Flax oil. I took it for the first time last night, and it was disgusting. It tasted like straight oil (I guess because it is oil!..lol). I was wondering how you take your flax oil. I tried it in my oatmeal instead of adding butter and it tasted alright but I know there has to be a better way.

Also, the bottle says to take 1 tablespoon per 100 lbs. So does that mean if I am 150 lbs that I should take 1-1/2 tablespoons???

Nonie

Re: ? For Flaxseed \"Oil\" users...

I take a Spectrum brand but in yoghurt. If you are to go by the directions, yes, you'd take that much.
You can mix it in soy yoghurt if you're lactose intolerant or in a fruit smoothie. It's a lot kinder to your palate that way.
I used to get really depressed while taking it but now I look forward to it. And actually that's the one supplement I never forget to take.

Armyqt

yeah it's pretty bad. I just take it quick and follow up with a nice tasting drink. The taste goes away pretty quick.

L

LaNecia

I hate that stuff!!
However, I do take it anyway 'cause my trainer said I should. So, I either mix it in a protein shake (Vanilla)
(be careful with the flavors or things can get really interesting (fish and chocolate?!?!), have it in cottage cheese w/pineapples (see this site for more health info: Dr. Budwig, or with yogurt.

Either way, the benefits far outweight the minute discomfort!

inthepink

I take GNCs brand of flaxseed oil. I take a tablespoon straight and then drink water. The taste doesn't bother me that much.

Zuppy

I take mine with orange juice. I barely taste it. I fill a cup about 1/2 way with the juice, add a table spoon of the oil, and drink fast - goes down easy, and I don't taste anything but orange juice.

Mocha1111

Great. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am not into yogurt or cottage cheese, so I think I'll try to mix it in my OJ or some apple juce. Any other suggestions???

Isis

I usually don't take it straight, unless I have to for some reason. I always pour it on my cooked veggies and/or on my salad. You can add it to your dressings or dips.
At www.spectrumnaturals.com they have recipe suggestions you can try. If you eat popcorn, for example, many use flaxseed oil on it instead of butter. Just never cook with it - it can only go on or in foods.

AMBERSKYE

Mocha1111,

I am currently using the same brand of Flax that you are.

I mix a 1 Tbs. of flax in my orange juice once a day.
I believe this is the easiest way for me to take Flax in the oil form.

Isis

Yes, flaxseed oil is one of the "good" fats that can help you burn off other fat. It also increases your metabolism.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

I tried but I just can't take the liquid form of flax seed oil. I take it in a softgel twice a day. Swallowing it this way works so much better for me.

Mocha1111

I tried the Flax oil in my OJ this morning and I could not taste the oil!!! Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I was gagging when I tried to take it straight...ugh.

vickid

I take 2T of ground flaxseed twice daily and mix it in water. It taste kind of like pecans. I purchase the seeds at Wal-Mart and store them in the freezer. The seeds are far less expensive than the oil and the taste it much better.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
I tried but I just can't take the liquid form of flax seed oil. I take it in a softgel twice a day. Swallowing it this way works so much better for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to take the capsules/softgels too but switched when I found out that I'd need to take 14 capsules/softgels to get the same amount of Omega acids found in one tablespoon of oil!
So taking the oil seemed easier and cheaper.

YuNg

Why do you need that much omega acids anyway i know a few people on here that take like 4 1000mg capsules and get good results. btw nonie im mad at you because you dont communicate with me anymore

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
vickid said:
I take 2T of ground flaxseed twice daily and mix it in water. It taste kind of like pecans. I purchase the seeds at Wal-Mart and store them in the freezer. The seeds are far less expensive than the oil and the taste it much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this also, when I'm not taking the oil. 3 tbls = 1 tbls of oil and it's true, it's a LOT less expensive. I prefer it dry mixed with some honey, sunflower seeds, almonds and raisins or chopped dates.