those who supplement with straight flaxseed oil

Brownie

For those who consume straight (not in softgel form) flaxseed oil, how can you tell when it's bad? I got one bottle from Wal-mart (black container/organic flaxseed oil), and the oil tasted nutty, but the next 2 bottles I got had a stronger different taste---and not as nutty. How can you tell, especially when the bottle has been sealed up, and you open it, and it tastes different initially?

I really want to continue using the oil in the bottle because you get so much more with a couple tablespoons than popping a dozen pills.

For anyone who takes Flaxseed oil, what does yours taste like, and how can you tell if it's bad?
Thanks in advance everyone!

Isis

I use the Spectrum brand of flaxseed oil and it has a nutty, buttery taste. It is always sold refrigerated, like I've learned all flaxseed oil should be sold, otherwise it can get rancid pretty fast. How can you tell that it's bad before opening it? If it's refrigerated, it should be ok. I don't buy it if it isn't. How can you tell that it's bad after you open it? It may not smell any different but it will taste different and you will probably throw up.

Flaxseed oil must be refrigerated at all times. Even a few hours sitting out will spoil it.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
I use the Spectrum brand of flaxseed oil and it has a nutty, buttery taste. It is always sold refrigerated, like I've learned all flaxseed oil should be sold, otherwise it can get rancid pretty fast. How can you tell that it's bad before opening it? If it's refrigerated, it should be ok. I don't buy it if it isn't. How can you tell that it's bad after you open it? It may not smell any different but it will taste different and you will probably throw up.

Flaxseed oil must be refrigerated at all times. Even a few hours sitting out will spoil it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if it's on the store shelf, that might not be good enough for keeping it cool, huh? I've always wanted to order it from Puritan Pride, but UPS always gets here so late, and the contents of their boxes are usually warm by the time it gets here. I might try buying some Flaxseed from my local health food store because they do refrigerate the oil. I'll take the bottle back to Wal-mart. This is the second bottle I've had to take back

bellydancer

Where exactly at walmart did you find the flaxseed oil? I've never seen it at Walmart outside of a pill form. Also how do you take it? Do you mix it with anything? Or jus take a few tablespoons straight? I'm very interested. I'm pretty tired of poppin pills.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great now I know why mine tastes nasty and not nutty at all! I bought mine from Safeway where they have a section of natural/organic/healthy foods and it was on a shelf not regfrigerated. Mine is Spectrum as well. Do you think I should tell the people at Safeway they need to put their flax seed oil in the refrigerated case (they have a case in the natural section) when they get it? I thought that since it was sealed it didn't need to be refrigerated until I opened it (kind of like Mayo). On the bottle it says refrigerate after opening.

Allandra

Kenesha,

I used straight flax seed oil a while back. It was not refrigerated when I purchased it, but it was sealed. I did refrigerate it after I opened it. Maybe each brand varies. Hmmmmm.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Where exactly at walmart did you find the flaxseed oil? I've never seen it at Walmart outside of a pill form. Also how do you take it? Do you mix it with anything? Or jus take a few tablespoons straight? I'm very interested. I'm pretty tired of poppin pills.

[/ QUOTE ]

At Wal-mart, I find the oil on the shelf with the other vitamins. It's in a black bottle. The oil tasted nutty in the first bottle I bought from Wal-mart---the 2nd and 3rd bottle didn't taste the same. I like taking the flax seed in oil form because a serving is 1 teaspoon and you get almost 5,000mg (I think MG) of flaxseed---that would equal like 5 softgels, but I think I'm tired of messing with this oil. I might go back to using the softgels. I'll just take a whole lot of them each day

karly

I use the spectrum flaxseed oil too. The owner at my local health food store said that ALL pure flaxseed oil (liquid form) should be refrigerated and if its not "don't buy it". I've also read this on the web. I would stick to the refrigerated brands to be on the safe side.