Fine haired ladies.... brastrap to waistlength

Mahalialee4

Leave In: Left over oils of EVO, Hemp Oil (Raw), left overft over Emu Oil, and I put a large dollop of Pure Shea Butter from Ghana, and shake shake shake. the Emu oil makes it turn kind of creamy. Works great for me. Experiment if you like. bonjour

KiniKakes

Pokahontas said:
*Venting* I'm sick of seeing breakage when I shampoo. I guess that's why I don't do it frequent but anyway the strands I see are sooooo thin. I found myself staring at them in the sink. They look like very fine/thin arm hairs.....just extremely delicate looking. Does anyone else have these strands?

YES!!! My strands are super thin, and sooo fragile. Thats why i try to avoid combing at all costs. They snap like its nothing, no matter how much protein/moisture/TLC my hair gets. My hair is just fine and brittle, and thats all there is too it. :perplexed

Cayenne0622

KiniKakes said:
YES!!! My strands are super thin, and sooo fragile. Thats why i try to avoid combing at all costs. They snap like its nothing, no matter how much protein/moisture/TLC my hair gets. My hair is just fine and brittle, and thats all there is too it. :perplexed

WHOO!! I so feel ya on that, Kini. This makes me wonder though because my hair never used to break. I still think there is a way for us thin haired gals to combat that problem. I used to have APL hair and it never broke. It always felt strong and healthy. Gotta figure out what was working so well back then versus now.

KiniKakes

Cayenne0622 said:
WHOO!! I so feel ya on that, Kini. This makes me wonder though because my hair never used to break. I still think there is a way for us thin haired gals to combat that problem. I used to have APL hair and it never broke. It always felt strong and healthy. Gotta figure out what was working so well back then versus now.

Well when you find out girl, be sure to pass that info along to me!!!! Cuz although its gotten WAY better (than my pre-LHCF days), no matter how gently i comb, i always find several little broken strands in the sink. Its really frustrating to see. Thats why i just avoid combing. That way, when i wash once per week, most of what comes out is natural shedding. I really do think this is the key to why ive retained so much hair in these last two years. Prior to this board, i used to rake that comb thru my hair alllll day long, cuz i loved how it laid against my shoulders all smooth and detangled. :lol: *smh* Madness!!!!

tarheelgurl

KiniKakes said:

I too have the super thin fragile strands. No matter what I eat, drink or use they stay that way. My stylist is great with working with it though. She knows how to handle the fine hair and has given pointers at home.

nycutiepie

My hair is just thin and that's the way it's going to be. I use the JBCO and it helps but I think it may just be genetics. Some have it and some don't and I'm one of those that don't.

KiniKakes

nycutiepie said:
My hair is just thin and that's the way it's going to be. I use the JBCO and it helps but I think it may just be genetics. Some have it and some don't and I'm one of those that don't.

I must say that, between MTG and Biotin (10 mg a day!!!!) my hair has thickened up substantially. However, i am still in the fine-haired club, and will always be!!!!!

But...................... its great to know that having fine, fragile, delicate hair *aint* gonna stop us from making it to WL!!!! CHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Aubergold

KiniKakes said:
I must say that, between MTG and Biotin (10 mg a day!!!!) my hair has thickened up substantially. However, i am still in the fine-haired club, and will always be!!!!!

But...................... its great to know that having fine, fragile, delicate hair *aint* gonna stop us from making it to WL!!!! CHIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

you are such an inspiration. I stay in your fotki all day and all night. Last night I woke up at lik 2am cause I wanted some water. I saw my computer and thought "let me go stalk Kini's fotki!" and I have 10 am class Madness. You're so pretty, too. Beyonce who?

Empress Yahudah

KiniKakes said:

10mg's a day?? whao momma thats a serious dose maybe i need to upgrade....But I to am fine hair i realized that its just the hand i was dealt... but i do thing like dying my hair jet balck and roller sets to give it that Full appearance...But everytime i wash...comb..or fiddle with my hair i see broken strands i get so upset ..I to take good care of it now that im a LHCFer with the moisture and protein ..and now only combing on was days but i still see those dang hairs..I wish there was something I could take or do to stop this ..At least i kno im not alone:)..

KiniKakes

RavenIvygurl said:
you are such an inspiration. I stay in your fotki all day and all night. Last night I woke up at lik 2am cause I wanted some water. I saw my computer and thought "let me go stalk Kini's fotki!" and I have 10 am class Madness. You're so pretty, too. Beyonce who?

:lol: @ Beyonce who? Yeah right! Girll you are too much!!! Silly! :) Thank you though, that makes me feel so good!!! Im glad i can be an inspiration to anyone! I love stalking Fokti's as well, so you are not alone in that honey!!!!

KiniKakes

MissMadaam said:
10mg's a day?? whao momma thats a serious dose maybe i need to upgrade....But I to am fine hair i realized that its just the hand i was dealt... but i do thing like dying my hair jet balck and roller sets to give it that Full appearance...But everytime i wash...comb..or fiddle with my hair i see broken strands i get so upset ..I to take good care of it now that im a LHCFer with the moisture and protein ..and now only combing on was days but i still see those dang hairs..I wish there was something I could take or do to stop this ..At least i kno im not alone:)..

Yes chile, 10 mg! :lol: However, i did have to build up to that. I started out with 2.5 mg for a few months......... then upped that to 5 mg.......... then 7.5 mg........... and now 10 mg. 10 mg is as high as I'm comfortable going. With each increase in dosage, i did break out some initially, but that went away shortly thereafter.

I forgot to add, the HENNA has also helped to give my strands an illusion of thickness, which is cool! :D

Nope, you are not alone with the broken strands. I think its a fact of life for fine-haired gals. The most we can do is try to minimize manipulation, and make sure we are moisturizing and giving our hair enough protein. After that, it's all about treating our hair with kids gloves..... we gotta treat it like a piece of fine, imported, Italian lace. ;)

Empress Yahudah

KiniKakes said:
Yes chile, 10 mg! :lol: However, i did have to build up to that. I started out with 2.5 mg for a few months......... then upped that to 5 mg.......... then 7.5 mg........... and now 10 mg. 10 mg is as high as I'm comfortable going. With each increase in dosage, i did break out some initially, but that went away shortly thereafter.

I forgot to add, the HENNA has also helped to give my strands an illusion of thickness, which is cool! :D

Nope, you are not alone with the broken strands. I think its a fact of life for fine-haired gals. The most we can do is try to minimize manipulation, and make sure we are moisturizing and giving our hair enough protein. After that, it's all about treating our hair with kids gloves..... we gotta treat it like a piece of fine, imported, Italian lace. ;)

I feel u on that..i think ill trying uping my dose..and i def been treating my hair like its fine silk,but as far as henna i have color treated hair jet black and dont wanna run the risk of get a reddish tint ...anyone tried Cassia ..does that add strength too???

divinefavor

I'm so glad I read this thread...it has made me feel so much better. I'm another woman with fine/soft hair and every time I look around (when washing, or touching my hair), I find tiny broken hairs. It's very perplexing, especially when you know that you've done all you can (moisture/protein balance, less manipulation, weekly wash and deep condition, eating healthy, exercise, etc.) to keep your hair healthy. I've come to the conclusion that my hair will always be fine, however, I can still give the appearance of my hair being thick though. :lol:

Biotin, you say? I've never tried it, I may have to look into it.

Cayenne0622

KiniKakes said:
Well when you find out girl, be sure to pass that info along to me!!!! Cuz although its gotten WAY better (than my pre-LHCF days), no matter how gently i comb, i always find several little broken strands in the sink. Its really frustrating to see. Thats why i just avoid combing. That way, when i wash once per week, most of what comes out is natural shedding. I really do think this is the key to why ive retained so much hair in these last two years. Prior to this board, i used to rake that comb thru my hair alllll day long, cuz i loved how it laid against my shoulders all smooth and detangled. :lol: *smh* Madness!!!!

hahaha...I'll definitely let you know. I know I used to use Lady Velvet relaxer. I would trim my hair as needed. I washed it once a week. I would airdry it and wear the airdried style to work because I didn't feel like curling it. I used Paul Mitchell shampoos and conditioners and EEK hairspray. That was pretty much it!! hmmmmmm

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Miss*Tress said:
Yes, I have fragile invisi-strands too, Pokahontas. The last time I went to a salon, the stylist still reckoned my hair was "strong".
Invisi-strands is a good description. I hate them because in my mind I'm thinking there's no way they can be strong.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
KiniKakes said:
Ya know, I feel like I'm pretty much doing everything right for me and I have seen a huge improvement but I think these strands will be something I have to deal with. I use the BTZ Stiffhead (wax stick) for my edges which I love but I always notice quite a few of those super fine/thin hairs on it and I'm like OMG.....but we can do it girls, just limit your manipulation and use extra extra TLC! Good Luck!

CAPlush

I am a 4a/4b, and I have alot of fine strands mixed with medium strands. This makes my hair very soft but at the same time very confusing. ORS Lye (Normal) is a good relaxer, it gave me SHINE. This is a good one especially if you have non-resistant hair, it is very gentle and gives you plenty of time work it in to get the hair straight.

Sunshine_One

I am really loving this thread! Another fine haired diva checking in....I'm natural and I must say me hair appears very thick in it'n natural state that has been a definite plus. However, once the water hits it....the truth is REVEALED! LOL I was finally able to hold my head back and grab hair from the nape in the shower the other day...I was so amazed at how much my hair has grown its right btw the shoulder blades...is that consider APL?

I think I'll be back to BSL by the summer or fall at the latest.

However, what continues to be my biggest challenge is shedding! I have always shed a lot of hair but I've always had a lot of it. So maybe that is just how my hair is. It grows and sheds and grows. But I still wish I keep all those shed strands....for some reason I think it they stayed on my head my hair would be thicker. Do any of you ladies experience this?

Aubergold

Pokahontas said:
Ya know, I feel like I'm pretty much doing everything right for me and I have seen a huge improvement but I think these strands will be something I have to deal with. I use the BTZ Stiffhead (wax stick) for my edges which I love but I always notice quite a few of those super fine/thin hairs on it and I'm like OMG.....but we can do it girls, just limit your manipulation and use extra extra TLC! Good Luck!

I really cannot believe your hair is finestranded. it looks wonderful! I have fine strands also, if I made it to waist length I think I would just act out all the time, lol.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
RavenIvygurl said:
I really cannot believe your hair is finestranded. it looks wonderful! I have fine strands also, if I made it to waist length I think I would just act out all the time, lol.
Lol, thank you.

Aubergold

Sunshine_One said:
I am really loving this thread! Another fine haired diva checking in....I'm natural and I must say me hair appears very thick in it'n natural state that has been a definite plus. However, once the water hits it....the truth is REVEALED! LOL I was finally able to hold my head back and grab hair from the nape in the shower the other day...I was so amazed at how much my hair has grown its right btw the shoulder blades...is that consider APL?

I think I'll be back to BSL by the summer or fall at the latest.

However, what continues to be my biggest challenge is shedding! I have always shed a lot of hair but I've always had a lot of it. So maybe that is just how my hair is. It grows and sheds and grows. But I still wish I keep all those shed strands....for some reason I think it they stayed on my head my hair would be thicker. Do any of you ladies experience this?

That's really funny cause when I was natural (which was like two weeks ago) I shed ALL THE TIME! There was nothing I could do. Now that I'm relaxed I don't seem to shed as much.....which is weird as heck.

Not That I'm sayin relax your hair, lol. But I really don't know what caused it. I do know that when I did light protein treatments, I would shed less for the time being :)

Dee Raven

Hi Everyone,

Great post! I have pretty thin hair as well, although I have lots of strands. I've noticed to with my hair being natural that I seem to shed a lot. I'm not sure if it's because my hair being 4a and coily forms these clumps that perhaps it just appears to be a lot of hair where really it's the same as usual. But I did hear that it's natural for a healthy head of hair to shed around a hundred hairs a day. Also, I closely monitor my shed hair and have found that 100% (so far) have come from the root. So no breakage. For now I think that's good enough.

healthyhairin07

CynamonKis said:
Overmanipulation has been my downfall. Mahalialee, what protective styles do you wear which allows you to avoid combing or brushing your hair? I find it difficult to wear a bun or phoney pony, for example, without brushing the top part of my hair so it would be sleek. Since my hair is now natural and very curly at the ends, I found that it balls up into knots if I wait til I wash to comb it. How do you avoid all that? I used to wear a weave to avoid any manipulation of my hair but the weave is very tiring for me.

I have the same problem. I recently went two days without combing my hair and when I decided to comb it, it was so much more difficult and I think I lost more strands. This is a great thread. Us fine-haired ladies need to stick together.

Sunshine_One

Thanks for responding back ladies!

Funny thing is...I was thinking once I went natural that I wouldn't shed as much. Truth is I think the shedding is about the same as when I was texlaxed. I do remember my hair shed as a child...something my mom could never understand either because it continued to grow and thrive..(i've had long hair all my life) while also shedding. I do notice that when I get a fresh trim and hair is freshly washed it does not shed as much. Maybe I need to get a trim and accept that fact that my hair just naturally sheds a lot! LOL I don't know. Definitely a mystery.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Ok, I'm back with an update on breakage while shampooing. I'm having such a dramatic improvement with this that I had to share. I'm not quite sure why it works though but what I do is the night before shampooing I slather on shea butter thickly, and when I say thick I mean thick. Then I slather on WGO over that, baggy and leave in over night. The next day when I shampoo I see way less "invisi-hairs" and shed less too. I hope maye this could help someone else out in some way. Who knows, maybe the key to helping us fine hairs loose less hair while shampooing is pre-pooing?

Cichelle

Pokahontas said:
Ok, I'm back with an update on breakage while shampooing. I'm having such a dramatic improvement with this that I had to share. I'm not quite sure why it works though but what I do is the night before shampooing I slather on shea butter thickly, and when I say thick I mean thick. Then I slather on WGO over that, baggy and leave in over night. The next day when I shampoo I see way less "invisi-hairs" and shed less too. I hope maye this could help someone else out in some way. Who knows, maybe the key to helping us fine hairs loose less hair while shampooing is pre-pooing?

You know I was really reluctant to do the pre-poo thing for a long time. But I did discover a few months ago that if I SATURATE my hair with coconut oil (I mean drench it) before shampooing or cowashing it really helped me alot in terms of breaking and shedding. It's kind of a pain in the *** to do, but it does work for me. Now I'm just hoping to get to waist length like you!

ChocoKitty

Pokahontas said:

I think shea butter definitely helps with combating breakage. I slather it on my ends during deep conditoning whenever I think about.