Fine haired ladies.... brastrap to waistlength

Armyqt

How did you do it? What were your struggles and regimens. What were your biggest obstacles in reaching your goals. Mine have been thinning ends and having to constantly trim away progress. Sometimes I WANT waistlength hair and I know I can achieve it. But I don't like the way my ends look over time. They always start to get thin and I have to trim. I like long hair, but I like thick hair as well. Mine isn't thick and never will be. It's wispy and delicate. So I'm wondering, do I have to sacrifice waistlength hair for blunt hair? Or can I have waistlength hair too as a fine-haired lady? Thanks in advanced. :)

MonaRae

Have you tried just letting your hair "catch up" to the longest length before trimming? Chiroco uses this method and she has the most beautiful hair I have seen.

I have fine hair but these days my hair is getting thicker and thicker. I believe castor oil and horsetail tea (used as my daily moisturizer along with other herbs) has really allowed my hair to turn towards the better.

As a matter of fact the front right side of my hair belongs to someone else. I promise you it is not mines, lolll! :lachen: I'm just waiting for the rest of my hair to do the same. The human body was made for balance. The rest will catch up.

You just need to find your All in All, you know what works best for you. Mines are natural products (like castor oil) and herbs (like horsetail, sage, rosemary, and my beloved tree tea).

Have you found your method?

MonaRae

Armyqt

Thanks MonaRae. That makes sense. And I've thought of nott trimming to see if the rest will catch up. I'm itching to hack about 4inches right now. :lol: Maybe I should just ait it out and see how it goes. Thanks.

melodee

Army, I tried no trimming, with little success--sorry to say. My hair continued to thin, and I was truly never happy with thin ends. I, too would like to hear some solutions. I am going to try going natural, hence the transition. My hair is fine-ish and I love the texture of natural hair. It helps add volume to fine hair. Only thing is, it's not relaxed hair and will not do what relaxed hair does. But I'm starting to like that anyway.

ChocoKitty

My biggest struggle was not knowing how to comb my hair. After I simply learned how to comb it correctly things started becoming much easier. Before I was constantly ripping my ends out.:(

In addition I learned to protect my hair from friction. No contact with cotton, wool, office chairs or jealous hands... Really! I would always make it to above bra strap then all of sudden my ends would start to split and look crazy. It was because I was constantly wearing my hair down and not ensuring it was protected from negative elements. Plus--I never deep conditioned.

Next learning--daily use any product is not good for my hair. I've finally learned that hair does not like products. Everything make my hair attract dust, dirt and lint on top of making it sticky. When I comb my hair my it get trapped in the teeth of my comb because of the nastiness. I can't use oils, pomades, greases, serums, hair sprays or etc. If I use anything it can only be used a day (no more than 2) prior to washing.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Armyqt said:
How did you do it? What were your struggles and regimens. What were your biggest obstacles in reaching your goals. Mine have been thinning ends and having to constantly trim away progress. Sometimes I WANT waistlength hair and I know I can achieve it. But I don't like the way my ends look over time. They always start to get thin and I have to trim. I like long hair, but I like thick hair as well. Mine isn't thick and never will be. It's wispy and delicate. So I'm wondering, do I have to sacrifice waistlength hair for blunt hair? Or can I have waistlength hair too as a fine-haired lady? Thanks in advanced. :)

I'm the same way. I've been at waist-length or almost a few times and had to drastically trim because the ends were thin and uneven (right side longer than left:mad: ). It always looked so much better when I trimmed but it really keeps setting me back. What I'm gonna do this time around is really watch and protect my hair, especially the ends, and I'm not gonna even it up anymore. It's just gonna have to be uneven and thin. I plan on combatting this by wearing more fuller styles....anything not bone straight will give me more of a thicker look and my ends won't look so thin. Once I get to where I want to be I will start to even it up. I sure hope this works:perplexed .

Armyqt

ChocoKitty said:
My biggest struggle was not knowing how to comb my hair. After I simply learned how to comb it correctly things started becoming much easier. Before I was constantly ripping my ends out.:(

In addition I learned to protect my hair from friction. No contact with cotton, wool, office chairs or jealous hands... Really! I would always make it to above bra strap then all of sudden my ends would start to split and look crazy. It was because I was constantly wearing my hair down and not ensuring it was protected from negative elements. Plus--I never deep conditioned.

Next learning--daily use any product is not good for my hair. I've finally learned that hair does not like products. Everything make my hair attract dust, dirt and lint on top of making it sticky. When I comb my hair my it get trapped in the teeth of my comb because of the nastiness. I can't use oils, pomades, greases, serums, hair sprays or etc. If I use anything it can only be used a day (no more than 2) prior to washing.

I never deep condition either. It's just too much hassle. Maybe I need to change that. I could always deep condition before the wash. THat way I'm not jumping i and out of the shower. Your hair is just gorgeous BTW. I can't believe you can get your natural hair to look that straight. WOW.

Armyqt

Pokahontas said:
I'm the same way. I've been at waist-length or almost a few times and had to drastically trim because the ends were thin and uneven (right side longer than left:mad: ). It always looked so much better when I trimmed but it really keeps setting me back. What I'm gonna do this time around is really watch and protect my hair, especially the ends, and I'm not gonna even it up anymore. It's just gonna have to be uneven and thin. I plan on combatting this by wearing more fuller styles....anything not bone straight will give me more of a thicker look and my ends won't look so thin. Once I get to where I want to be I will start to even it up. I sure hope this works:perplexed .

Thanks for sharing, It can be really frustrating. Sometimes I wanna say, what the heck, I'm satisfied with this. But then I KNOW that my hair grows nicely. It's just the ends that mess me up. I think I'm going to really buckle down and try to protect my ends more. I'll relaxing probably in december fter 6 months and I'll see what happens then. Your hair is beautiful, btw.

ChocoKitty

Armyqt said:
I never deep condition either. It's just too much hassle. Maybe I need to change that. I could always deep condition before the wash. THat way I'm not jumping i and out of the shower. Your hair is just gorgeous BTW. I can't believe you can get your natural hair to look that straight. WOW.

That's the only way I'll ever deep condition. I apply my deep conditioner to dry hair--then put on a plastic cap. It helps me get my hair straight too! Before I became faithful to deep conditioning my hair wouldn't stay straight very long.

Thank you for your compliment.:D

KiniKakes

This thread is GREAT! Thanks for starting it Army. Im no where near WL, but i just recently made BSL...... and i know that these are all real concerns that i'm gonna be dealing with over the upcoming year. So i think im gonna sub to this thread, and hope that it gets more responses from fine-haired WL ladies. I need all the encouragement/advice/motivation that i can get!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Armyqt said:
Thanks for sharing, It can be really frustrating. Sometimes I wanna say, what the heck, I'm satisfied with this. But then I KNOW that my hair grows nicely. It's just the ends that mess me up. I think I'm going to really buckle down and try to protect my ends more. I'll relaxing probably in december fter 6 months and I'll see what happens then. Your hair is beautiful, btw.
Thank you, and yours as well!

Armyqt

KiniKakes said:
This thread is GREAT! Thanks for starting it Army. Im no where near WL, but i just recently made BSL...... and i know that these are all real concerns that i'm gonna be dealing with over the upcoming year. So i think im gonna sub to this thread, and hope that it gets more responses from fine-haired WL ladies. I need all the encouragement/advice/motivation that i can get!

Me too. :D I know we have a few more out there. :)

Mahalialee4

Well, the less I do to it the better. So I combine what I do to my hair. eg.
pack my conditioners, shampoo less, rinse more. Minimize combing to absolute necessity prior to and after wash. Protective styling. I accept that I need to avoid techniques that will snap my fine strands easily or cause shedding. Fine hair requires more care in order to retain the length. Rarely ever brush. Try to avoid overloading it with product or moisture since it seems to weaken the strands. I do not play in my hair or twirl or twist or pull on it. Hope this helps.

CynamonKis

Overmanipulation has been my downfall. Mahalialee, what protective styles do you wear which allows you to avoid combing or brushing your hair? I find it difficult to wear a bun or phoney pony, for example, without brushing the top part of my hair so it would be sleek. Since my hair is now natural and very curly at the ends, I found that it balls up into knots if I wait til I wash to comb it. How do you avoid all that? I used to wear a weave to avoid any manipulation of my hair but the weave is very tiring for me.

Mahalialee4 said:
Well, the less I do to it the better. So I combine what I do to my hair. eg.
pack my conditioners, shampoo less, rinse more. Minimize combing to absolute necessity prior to and after wash. Protective styling. I accept that I need to avoid techniques that will snap my fine strands easily or cause shedding. Fine hair requires more care in order to retain the length. Rarely ever brush. Try to avoid overloading it with product or moisture since it seems to weaken the strands. I do not play in my hair or twirl or twist or pull on it. Hope this helps.

RZILYNT

Yes, I would like to know too! My hair has never been this long and I'm feelin a little anxiety. I want to make sure that I don't get to confident at this and then start slackin'.

Right now my hair is down and I know good and well that I should reserve it for the weekends. My ends will split in a hurry if I don't. I am trying to avoid any unneccesary trims before the end of the year.

Bumping*******

Cayenne0622

I will be relaxing in a week or so and I'm so excited. My hair is not messing around. My new growth is crazy thick. I don't know if its the carrot juice/flaxseed oil combo or if its the ultrahair nourish but something has kicked my growth into full gear. Shedding has pretty much stopped and I'm still working on getting the breakage under control but I'm excited that I can actually be full shoulder length by the summer.

FlawedBeauty

I have fine hair as well. My right side is a whole two inches shorter than my left!!!! i just cringe at the idea of cutting my longer side so i am going to be playing catch-up. right now i am wearing my hair parted half up, and i split the bottom part in two and keep them in two braids. thats what i plan on doing for a while until hopefull the other side gets there.

Choklatekiss79

Fine haired lady checking in. :) I honestly am not 100% sure of my hair type, but in looking at my strands, it is definitely fine. I'm doing my first 12 week stretch. So far, so good for me, but I'm also not wearing any straight styles.

I was wondering if you all think the stretching is easier or more difficult for fine textures?

Mahalialee4

I am using a homemade version of AfroDetangler and applying to my hair after I shampoo and before I comb out, braiding up my own hair without extensions, using my MTG knockoff and doctored Surge and whole head bagging for 1 week or 2 at a time. Minimizes my manipulation and no opportunities to play in my hair (comb it or brush it at all in between times). I no longer use a brush. bonjour

Mahalialee4

RZILYNT said:
Yes, I would like to know too! My hair has never been this long and I'm feelin a little anxiety. I want to make sure that I don't get to confident at this and then start slackin'.

Right now my hair is down and I know good and well that I should reserve it for the weekends. My ends will split in a hurry if I don't. I am trying to avoid any unneccesary trims before the end of the year.

Bumping*******
How did you achieve the length that you have...something has really worked for you and a few other of the ladies on this post? bonjour

RZILYNT

Mahalialee4 said:
How did you achieve the length that you have...something has really worked for you and a few other of the ladies on this post? bonjour

Well...I deep condition, keep it moisturized and protect the ends.( most of the time) I am just so scared of disaster though. I guess also because I am losing hair in my temples and have made an appt to see a dermatologist to make sure that I do not have alopecia. I am not going to let the stylist relax the front portion of my hair until I can get this thinning under control. I am seeing some ng from using BT. But I am having hair anxiety and want to preserve what I have and continue to grow.

So I guess with that said, the moral of the story is "keep doing what I am doing" I am sure that there are extra challenges along the way for longer lengths, just need to get prepared for them.

Thanks for listening though.

RZ

tarheelgurl

I am not BSL but I do have very fine hair. I really keep everything to a minimum. I keep the ends hidden and where a head band (scarf folded over) on windy days. I don't put anything heavy on it and don't grease my scalp. All of this seemed to really help it stay strong and helped me retain length. But its all work in progress and trial and error.

Miss*Tress

For fine hair, protective styles are definitely a must. I've also noticed that the wind is my enemy. Last week, I went out with my hair down in heavy winds. What started as a very moisturized head of hair had just about every drop of moisture whipped out of it after 5 minutes. :ohwell:

Like some of you mentioned, my ends are also on the thin side - mainly due to a disappearing nape. I roller set for a curly, full look and leave it at that. I'm too close to my goal to deal with any setbacks right now.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Miss*Tress said:
I roller set for a curly, full look and leave it at that.

With my fine hair, I do the same thing. Flexi-rods are my friends. :D

I think ultimately I would love to be at waistlength. If I can keep it growing without setbacks, I can see myself there in about two to three years.

hothair

Mahalialee4 said:
I am using a homemade version of AfroDetangler and applying to my hair after I shampoo and before I comb out, braiding up my own hair without extensions, using my MTG knockoff and doctored Surge and whole head bagging for 1 week or 2 at a time. Minimizes my manipulation and no opportunities to play in my hair (comb it or brush it at all in between times). I no longer use a brush. bonjour

How did you make this?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
*Venting* I'm sick of seeing breakage when I shampoo. I guess that's why I don't do it frequent but anyway the strands I see are sooooo thin. I found myself staring at them in the sink. They look like very fine/thin arm hairs.....just extremely delicate looking. Does anyone else have these strands?

Miss*Tress

Yes, I have fragile invisi-strands too, Pokahontas. The last time I went to a salon, the stylist still reckoned my hair was "strong".