Ever been MAD late on Figuring out a LHCF Acronym?

CocoBunny

Just sound it out. Y... T... = Whitey.

I liked it better when I thought it meant You Tube. Now that I know what it means I think I find it offensive. I gotta think if someone on this board referred to us as blackies we'd be up in arms.

YMMV and it is after all just MY opnion.

shamarie

I liked it better when I thought it meant You Tube. Now that I know what it means I think I find it offensive. I gotta think if someone on this board referred to us as blackies we'd be up in arms.

:grin: what is YMMV?
Oh never mind I now see the above post

Honey Bee

I always thought of it as a way of avoiding searching engines when talking (good, bad, or neutral) about white people, and I never pronounce it (in my head) as "whitey", just "white".

I think white people use the word "Canadian" to talk about black people in a similarly evasive way... or so I've read.

eta: oh, yeah: what's "ITA"?

tocktick

Black folks have been referred to as worse on this very site. I'm sure on majority white boards, there are some less than savoury opinions about us too. JMHO but "YT" doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me and I don't think anybody has ever really used it in a malicious way. I've never used it because it doesn't take too long for me to type out "white person/woman/man" etc.

CocoBunny

It means YouTube too, at least for me. I never descrube White people as YTs.

What about "YMMV", eh? Your mileage may vary. That's how I use it.

Yup thats how I use it too. I think it's my favorite acronym, that and TIA = Thanks In Advance .

that_1_grrrl

To me, "ITA" is I totally agree. Others say it means, "I too agree", but that doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, I pronounce YT in my head as "white" because Whitey people doesn't make sense, but I figure that is where it came from.

I always thought of it as a way of avoiding searching engines when talking (good, bad, or neutral) about white people, and I never pronounce it (in my head) as "whitey", just "white".

I think white people use the word "Canadian" to talk about black people in a similarly evasive way... or so I've read.

eta: oh, yeah: what's "ITA"?

tocktick

To me, "ITA" is I totally agree. Others say it means, "I too agree", but that doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, I pronounce YT in my head as "white" because Whitey people doesn't make sense, but I figure that is where it came from.

I always said YT that way in my head too. ITA = I totally agree, imo.

BlackMasterPiece

I think alot of ppl use YT as just the phonetic way of saying white, nothing more nothing less. Like if you were spelling it the way it sounds you'd type YT thats the way I always interpreted it:yep:

Just like when ppl text "your" they type the shortened phonetic spelling "ur"

Lovie

Reminds me of the cell phone commercial where the grandma is texting and talking to the parents and kids in acronyms...

kblc06

It took me forever to figure what ETA and HTH, HHJ meant :lol:

for those who don't know:
ETA=edited to add
HTH=hope that helps
HHJ= healthy hair journey
HHG=healthy hair growth

....... I think :look:

CocoBunny

Black folks have been referred to as worse on this very site. I'm sure on majority white boards, there are some less than savoury opinions about us too. JMHO but "YT" doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me and I don't think anybody has ever really used it in a malicious way. I've never used it because it doesn't take too long for me to type out "white person/woman/man" etc.

I am positive lots of things are going on and being said on all sorts of boards regarding all sorts of people, which in my opinion does not excuse the action, behavior or intent or make it any less offensive to me.

msa

It took me forever to figure what ETA and HTH, HHJ meant :lol:

for those who don't know:
ETA=edited to add
HTH=hope that helps
HHJ= healthy hair journey
HHG=healthy hair growth

....... I think :look:

HHG-Happy hair growing!

...but I could see how it might mean healthy hair growth (because of hhj).

tocktick

I am positive lots of things are going on and being said on all sorts of boards regarding all sorts of people, which in my opinion does not excuse the action, behavior or intent or make it any less offensive to me.

:look: I'm not one of those with some ridiculous "tit-for-tat" mentality. My intention of mentioning that blacks had been called unsavoury things on other boards was not so that words with the potential to offend could be excused.

As I said, I don't think most people use the word "YT" in a malicious way. Like another poster here, I also thought it meant "white" and I'm sure others do too *shrugs*. Tbh, those who have said offensive things about white people on this board haven't really tried to conceal their message behind code-words or net speak. But anyway, we all interpret things in different ways.

SvelteVelvet

It took me very long time to figure out what SMH and SMDH meant, and I think I had to break down and ask somebody. (shakin my head/shakin my damn head)

kadej

I just figured out that BSB means Below Shoulder Blades as opposed to what I originally thought, Bra Strap Bottom. I was like, dang...these women are serious about tracking growth if they count the bottom of the bra strap. :lachen:

Same here - I was so late on this one!

Amerie123

LOL.
I still don't know what NSFW means and I know that YT infers a caucasian person but I still don't know what the YT stands for.
I have asked about YT before and the answer was just a white person but I am like OK what does the Y and T stand for. lol

WEN is a product name. CoN makes more sense than CON. EVOO= Rachael Rayspeak (extra virgin olive oil). co wash=conditioner wash....there's got to be more than this?!

NSFW= not safe for work (ie some nudity or something "off") YT can refer to both White people and/or YouTube, given the context! :grin:

Ha ha ha ha. okay, so i think i was pretty good w/ figuring out all the acronyms, however, "NSFW" was the only one i couldn't figure out.

so, recently (within the last 2 weeks), i was all happy thinkin' i figured it out. I thought it meant: Not Something For the Weak, in other words, don't come in this thread if you cant handle it. ha ha ha. guess i was wrong and glad to know what it means now.:grin:

beans4reezy

Oh, I have mine too! IRL...Someone just told me it meant, "In real life." I am usually good at figuring the acronyms by their context in a sentence, I just couldn't figure that one out by myself and it is used here all the time.