Essence Magazine's Best Hair Trends of 2009

theprototype

Rock a Doodle Do

Rihanna had a tumultuous year, but her amazing style trumps all. She set herself apart from the R&B goddess pack with this edgy, spiky haircut. Rock on, RiRi!

Half n Half

Half of the world’s male population wanted to put a ring on Beyonce after seeing her “Single Ladies” video. The other half—us beauty gals—wanted to copy her half up, half down, pompadoured hairstyle. As a result, women everywhere have been spotted rocking this look; along with their new engagement rings, of course.

The Bald & The Beautiful

Solange wanted a new look and gave herself one! This brazen beauty looks flawless in her new, closely-cropped natural. We have a feeling that everyone and their mama will be cutting their hair off in 2010

Side Shave

This year, we saw several celebrities (Cassie rocked it best) displaying their half-bald-best on red carpets everywhere. And when Willow Smith debuted her shaved look in Oslo, we realized the style had even reached the elementary school set!

Rat Tails

One look at Keri Hilson’s modified rat tail ’do, and we changed our minds about the look being the stuff of 80s surf dudes. We love the juxtaposition of the heavy, swooped bangs with the angled fringe—so sexy on this cute songstress.

Braided Beauty

We just couldn’t take our eyes off of the models walking Oscar de la Renta’s Spring 2010 runway. Those beautiful, be-ribboned braids! We may not be able to get our hands on the pretty frocks, but we definitely had no problem stealing this gorgeous hair look.

Blonde Ambition

This year, celebs everywhere lightened up—including a newly back on the scene Toni Braxton. It definitely seems like she’s having more fun as a blonde (did you see that onstage kiss with crooner Trey Songz at this year’s Soul Train Awards?).

The New Wave

2009 was a great year for Zoe Saldana. She’s starring in the blockbuster movie ‘Avatar’ and looks fab on the cover of LIFE Magazine. Being beauty girls, we’re particularly obsessed with her new cut—the long, wavy bob. A trend is born.

Perm Free

This was the year to set yourself free of all things toxic: old boyfriends, bad marriages, crappy diets and perms. Yes, perms. Perhaps it had something to do with the release of the movie ‘Good Hair’, but more women have released their tresses from the jaws of the “creamy crack” and are rocking their naturally curly locks or freshly blown out strands.

Frizz Be Gone

Frizzy hair was so 2008. In 2009, Living Proof gave us just the weapon to fight the fuzz: Straight Making No Frizz Styling Cream ($24). One dollop of this super light styling cream, and bad hair days were a thing of the past.

BostonMaria

I have to admit, I was one of those ladies that ran to buy a bump-it and copy Beyonce. ATTEMPT to anyway. I looked a HAM lol Thx for sharing!!

Last edited:

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
Hated the side shave and I don't like that style that Keri Hilson has. Blonde hair is a no as well. This year truly was the year to go perm free. We had a lot of BCs here this year. Solange looks gorgeous, is she still wearing it out still or does she wear lacefronts?

OhSoOthentik

Hated the side shave and I don't like that style that Keri Hilson has. Blonde hair is a no as well. This year truly was the year to go perm free. We had a lot of BCs here this year. Solange looks gorgeous, is she still wearing it out still or does she wear lacefronts?

I totally agree :yep:

Ronnieaj

Co-signing :yep:.

BostonMaria

You couldnt pay me enough money to shave the side of my hair like that. Good luck to her when she has to cut it all off. I think that movie stars & singers can get away with that look. Us mere mortals, not so much.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I really hate that side shave look. like what is that?........ i dont get it. one side bald....ooooookkkkk<---rolls eyes upward and shrugs)

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
only my opinion but i dont like blode one black people....i dont that. and it killed me when Marry J sings a song like "i can only be me".......huh, how are you YOU with blond hair and light colored contacts. she knows shes black right. JUST LOVE YOURSELF! thats all i wanted to say.

ellebelle88

You couldnt pay me enough money to shave the side of my hair like that. Good luck to her when she has to cut it all off. I think that movie stars & singers can get away with that look. Us mere mortals, not so much.

I know a girl that did this at my school. Now that it's growing back, she looks a mess. I also know a couple more girls who currently have the sides of their heads shaved. I think it's dumb and even though they are trying to be "different" it just shows how much of a follower they are.

LaToya28

I really love some of these trends. I could do without the rat tail, the one side shaved thing, and the blonde hair.

manter26

Has anyone tried the Frizz line? I got a shampoo and conditioner sample from Sephora and I wasn't impressed.

This list seems so random.